• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

What does everyone think of Ballard's hit on Malkin?

Rate this topic

Great hit and legal.

As for people saying no retaliation was called for...if someone did that to Yzerman you think Probert would think twice about beating the guys ass who just put his star player on his head?

I actually gained alot of respect for Crosby after this. As for fighting with a shield on, they both had shields on so dont whine.

Guest Four

I'm starting to like Ballard... Beautiful hit on Malkin and then beats up Crosby.

"It was pretty low," Crosby said. "I know (Ballard) is known for hip-checking guys and he has a physical style to his game, but (Malkin) is 6-feet-3. He doesn't need to hit him at the knees. I understand if it's a guy my size (5-feet-11) and he hits me in the hips, but he got pretty low on him."

Of course it's at the knees. Your *** lover jumped to avoid it. Ballard couldn't hit anything but his knees.

These reactions to legal hits a absurd. Get over yourself, you play hockey. If you don't want to get hit, GET OUT.

Eh...Ballard was almost on his knees when he delivered that hit. He was low enough that his hands were touching the ground, which makes me think it was pretty low, and therefor dangerous, but I have seen much much worse - it could have gone either way.

Most of this is just people getting their Penguins/Crosby hate on. If Franzen got hit like that and Hossa jumped in, you would all be having kittens and you know it.

Guest Shoreline

Nice hit. I think someone forgot to tell Crosby that hugging and pulling jerseys isn't fighting.

Excellent hit. Good to see a great hip check in today's NHL. Malkin was dumb for jumping.

Ballard Hit = Completely legal

Agreed.

Crosby is a prick for trying to fight after the hit.

I completely disagree. Crosby trying to stick up for Malkin in that situation is no different than when Downey stuck for Lids after the Lapierre hit. Both hits were legal, but both were heavy, heavy hits on a star player. Someone's got to stick up for their star player when a big, possibly injurious hit goes down.

It's a stupid move on Crosby's part only because he's walking into a situation where one star player is potentially hurt and he could've walked out with both of the Pens stars injured. The last thing the Pens need is Cindy to get hurt.

Eh...Ballard was almost on his knees when he delivered that hit. He was low enough that his hands were touching the ground, which makes me think it was pretty low, and therefor dangerous, but I have seen much much worse - it could have gone either way.

Most of this is just people getting their Penguins/Crosby hate on. If Franzen got hit like that and Hossa jumped in, you would all be having kittens and you know it.

Negative. Star player or not, if someone lays a legal hit, hit em back when you have the chance. The whole "star player" thing back in the day (the "code") was intended to protect star players from cheap shots and dirty plays - not legal, clean hip-checks.

Crosby or another Pen should have layed the body on Ballard at the first opportunity. No reason to throw down here. Just like in tonights game against Buffalo...why in the hell do the Sabres get all bent when one of their players takes a clean shot? It's ice hockey, not the Ice Capades. Get physical right back, don't drop the gloves until it's warranted.

Sorry Drake_Marcus, Lappy's hit on Lids was high and with the elbows up. That hit was borderline at best. Ballards hit was legal. I don't think you can really compare the two. I give Crosby credit for making the effort, but it really wasn't necessary. If Malkin took a head shot, then by all means hunt him down like a dog.

Edited by hamip1998

Negative. Star player or not, if someone lays a legal hit, hit em back when you have the chance. The whole "star player" thing back in the day (the "code") was intended to protect star players from cheap shots and dirty plays - not legal, clean hip-checks.

Crosby or another Pen should have layed the body on Ballard at the first opportunity. No reason to throw down here. Just like in tonights game against Buffalo...why in the hell do the Sabres get all bent when one of their players takes a clean shot? It's ice hockey, not the Ice Capades. Get physical right back, don't drop the gloves until it's warranted.

Sorry Drake_Marcus, Lappy's hit on Lids was high and with the elbows up. That hit was borderline at best. Ballards hit was legal. I don't think you can really compare the two. I give Crosby credit for making the effort, but it really wasn't necessary. If Malkin took a head shot, then by all means hunt him down like a dog.

Pretty much.

I'm not a Crosby fan, but its nice to see him WANT to fight. But if you're gonna fight, at least do it legally.

1st fight I see him in, hes gang banging another guy by punching him in the taint.

2nd fight I see him in, he throws off the gloves and doesnt square up TooToo style

3rd fight I see him in - this one - he holds on for dear life and pulls Ballard down who was off balance because he was - gasp - actually throwing punches.

If you're gonna make a statement by fighting, then actually fight. Don't pull this cheap crap. Take your millions and hire yourself a boxing coach, Crosby. And an ethicist while your at it.

The hit looks bad beccause Malkin jumped and did the flip.. If malkin didn't jump it would of been just a good hip check..

I got to give Crosby his props. He's doing his job as a captain.. A star players gets layed out.. you come to his aid.. and props to Guerin adn Crosby for showing up.

Looked like a good solid hip check to me. Great hit!!!!

I love how the hit gave Crosby the chance to try and give Ballard a big hug. Looked like Ballard wasn't having any of that. I wish Ballard would have connected with one good hay maker. That would teach Crosby to stop trying to hug guys during a game.

Agreed. It was borderline because Ballard was pretty damn low, which is why Malkin went flying. If Franzen got hit like that, people would be saying how Ballard went for Mule's knees.

Props to Crosby for being willing to get into it, but honestly it's just not a good tactic for his team. Putting himself in the box for 5 minutes or getting hurt in a fight hurts his team.

As much as I don't like Crosby, it's not like he started cheap shotting Ballard, he dropped the gloves and it was an actual fight (although Crosby has a visor). I like the hit and I like that Crosby dropped the gloves. You've got to respect star players, and it's OK to put a clean hit on them but expect the team to react.

Yeah, but they should react like the old timers did. You take the hit, and take note of who hit ya. Then you get them back later in the game. I don't recall Vladdy having to fight anyone when he laid that world famous hip check on Claude Lemieux. I don't remember Rob Blake having to fight a whole ton after his awesome hip checks. Maybe it's just me though.

Good hit. Decent fight. Great hockey.

really wasn't a fight. Ballard nailed him a few times and Crosbitch pulled him down to stop it. What a ****** bag Crosby is. Grow the "F" up. No one thinks your tough, nor will they ever!