• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IILeiBlazeII

Johan Franzen signs extension, 11 years

Rate this topic

I think $58 million is a case of wishful thinking. Bettman said it will likely stay the same or go up or down by a few hundred thousand.

But, in 2010/11, the cap is expected to drop back into the 40s.

Might as well fold the league in that case - or split it into two levels. But a topic for another day....

Wings will have to be creative for sure this offseason. It looks like it will definitely be Osgood/Howard although I really would like the Wings to sign/trade for a future goalie ASAP if Howard doesn't cut it in the NHL....cap room for that would be nice. You can only coast on cheap GT for so long.....

I'd be heavily in favor of getting rid of Cleary and Stuart to make cap room for Hossa. The Wings have far too many D-men wasting away in Grand Rapids. Meech and Ericcson could easily replace Lebda and Stuart (assumuing he waives NTC).

Wings have about 4.5 million as is, to sign a Goalie, 4 forwards. If you got rid of those 2 mentioned above, you would have 6.5 extra. So that would be 10 million for 1 goalie, 5 forwards, including Ericcson who replaces Stuart. I love Cleary and Stuart, but Flipulla has much greater potential, and Kronwall is a beast in getting assists.

Basically if you lose Stuart and Cleary (assuming they waive their NTC) you could easily sign Hossa, Leino one of Hudler/Sammy, Abdelkader, Helm, and a back-up.

If you don't move Stuart or Cleary or both, we'll lose Hudler, Sammy and Hossa for sure. Losing Leino and Hudler would be terrible as is. But really, if Osgood fails, everything is f***ed. We'll lose everyone, and need a goalie.

Edited by TheOwl

But really, if Osgood fails, everything is f***ed. We'll lose everyone, and need a goalie.

I have an odd hunch but it doesn't really change all that much in terms of cap numbers.

I look at Daniel Larsson and I see a goalie who adapted well to the NA style and rinks; before this year had two successful years in the Swedish Men's League, who some like to argue that in many ways is more advanced than the AHL; won goaltender of the year in the SEL; and overall is quite ready to take the next step on most other teams. Some like to argue that he was ready before he came over here to be a backup. He just needed some time to adjust to the difference in nuances and details of the North American game, perhaps most notably the smaller rink size and the faster pace. Maybe they think that with everything considered, he's ready. He'll get his shot to compete for the job this summer and I guess we'll just see what happens. Every year has its share of pleasant surprises and I personally wouldn't be if that were to happen.

It just doesn't change all that much in terms of cap hit because the difference between Howard and Larsson is about 80k and RFA status.

^^^

The Wings should not count on Osgood to be a number one goalie next year or beyond. He will be great as a veteran BU who can groom a young GT. It is high time the Wings tested what they have in GR - Howard or Larrson. And if that doesn't work out, at least they know and can go in a different direction - like trade someone for a decent GT on the market by next deadline. I'm with you, I'm ready to see what either of the kids has got - tired of waiting around....spoiled Wings fan as I am.... :rolleyes:

Hmmm, anyone notice that this is essentially the kind of contracts that Draper and Maltby and even Chelios are playing out? That is, their salary/cap hit has decreased exponentially as they enter their late 30's (okay mid 40's in Chelios' case :rolleyes:) but they remain with the team albeit with a decreased salary and ice time, but contributing leadership and experience on ice. Why do you guys think that the Red Wings command such loyalty among players? Because owner and management value and treat vets right, none of this throwing older players on the garbage heap to chase after the latest shiny prospect. I've never understood the obsession among some teams fans for 'the new (insert player's name)' when you umm, you already have the actual player playing for you. Toronto is a good example where both fans and management treated the actual Sundin like crap in their search for the 'next Sundin.'

I think $58 million is a case of wishful thinking. Bettman said it will likely stay the same or go up or down by a few hundred thousand.

HI guys, I have posted here before, and just wanted to comment on the Frazen extension. I just have to shake my head at how efficient the Wings FO is at managing the team. You guys may have the best managed team in all of sports. Whats amazing is how they find talent that everybody else seems to miss, and then fit everyone under the same umbrella in terms of cap and system. When we played recently, I reallt thought we were finally going to break the Joe Louis curse..not to be, but that game spoke volumes about the Wings..give them a crack of daylight and they will run with it as your come from behind win showed. As soon as you scored the first goal , I knew it was over (never wake a sleeping giant).

Naturally I hope that the Flyers will win the cup , being a fan, but as a hockey fan, I have to admit that a Red Wings/Devils final would be incredible to watch. for several reasons

both are fast paced counter punching teams.

What I noticed from the recent Flyers/Wings game was that to beat the Wings you have to frustrate them , and keep it going for 60 min, which we didn't do..and NO ONE in the league is better at frustrating another team than Marty Brodeur, when he is on.

THis could make for an interesting dynamic, and an incredible SCF. So if my team can't win the cup (and this year we are still missing a couple of key pieces: Goaltending as usual, and another Stud on D to compliment Timonen)

I would love to see a Wings/Devils final , because despite records, the Wings are better than the Sharks and the Devils are better than the Bruins.

Good Luck!!

freep.com breakdown

Here's the year-by-year salary of Johan Franzen's new deal:

2009-10: $5.5 Million

10-11: $5 Million

11-12: $5.25 Million

12-13: $5.25 Million

13-14: $5 Million

14-15: $5 Million

15-16: $5 Million

16-17: $3.5 Million

17-18: $2 Million

18-19: $1 Million

19-20: $1 Million

These numbers are very interesting. Holland said he could have get 5.5 in the open market and here you can see Franzen take more than 5 million per year during.......... 7 years!!!! :scared:

Can anyone tell me where is the frigging discount here??? Plus we give him extra years which are a grest insurance for him...

:ranting:

Sorry but this deal is in the filpulla's one range: medium to bad one (and for sure not great)

These numbers are very interesting. Holland said he could have get 5.5 in the open market and here you can see Franzen take more than 5 million per year during.......... 7 years!!!! :scared:

Can anyone tell me where is the frigging discount here??? Plus we give him extra years which are a grest insurance for him...

:ranting:

Sorry but this deal is in the filpulla's one range: medium to bad one (and for sure not great)

5.5 - 3.9 = $1.6 million discount/year. His actual salary doesn't count, just the cap hit.

isnt there a separate thread for this already? How did game day turn into Franzen and Hossa AGAIN!?!!?!

Quickly, I like Franzen but if he wanted to have to best available chance(s) to win Cups within those 11 years, he should've have signed a contract that had a cap hit more like $2.9M. This pretty much screws us for Hossa, unless he takes a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE discount to stay here OR he signs somewhere for 1 year OR takes another 1 year deal at that same discount, then comes back when Lidstroms contract is off the books. Of course if Lids wants to stay he MUST take a HUGE discont as well. Franzen just tied the hands if Holland and Holland allowed it to happen.

ANYWAY, but to the ORIGINAL TOPIC. I know the game doesn't mean a damn thing in the grand scheme of things, but in thie case of an OBVIOUS, BLATENT and totally manufactered penalty, the referee should have some kind of ramafication to suffer. There ought to be fines and suspensions handed down by the league for obvious f**ck ups like yesterdays. Not that it would change the outcome of the game the day after, but it would make the refs be more accountable and, like Mickey said, make the mistake of missing a close call instead of calling a penalty that was never even there. That ref totally spit in the face of the NHL and gave it a black eye. Even Byfleuen(sp) said, it may have not been a penalty, which pretty much means, if that were called on his team, they would be screaming as well!

ALthough I really wanted to hear Babcocks thoughts on the "penalty" I give him credit for avoiding sure fines from the NHL if he did answer questions about it. Sure would've like to be a fly on the wall in his office though! I wonder if there is some kind of procedure to file a grievance or something against an obvious screw job like that. Not that it would change the call or give us the 1 point we were most certainly going get (at least) yesterday. Maybe do not allow him to ref any playoff games. Also, with all the veteran refs retiring this and next season, I certainly hope this is not the amateur garbage we are going to have to deal with from these new refs!

Franzen's production has only increased, so I don't think this long-term deal is a bad idea. I don't see why we have to lose Hudler, though, especially if we lose Hossa first. If Babs wants to keep him around and Hudler hasn't been scarred by his treatment over the years, I don't see why Hudler wouldn't take a little discount to stick around.

I'd be heavily in favor of getting rid of Cleary and Stuart to make cap room for Hossa. The Wings have far too many D-men wasting away in Grand Rapids. Meech and Ericcson could easily replace Lebda and Stuart (assumuing he waives NTC).

Wings have about 4.5 million as is, to sign a Goalie, 4 forwards. If you got rid of those 2 mentioned above, you would have 6.5 extra. So that would be 10 million for 1 goalie, 5 forwards, including Ericcson who replaces Stuart. I love Cleary and Stuart, but Flipulla has much greater potential, and Kronwall is a beast in getting assists.

Basically if you lose Stuart and Cleary (assuming they waive their NTC) you could easily sign Hossa, Leino one of Hudler/Sammy, Abdelkader, Helm, and a back-up.

If you don't move Stuart or Cleary or both, we'll lose Hudler, Sammy and Hossa for sure. Losing Leino and Hudler would be terrible as is. But really, if Osgood fails, everything is f***ed. We'll lose everyone, and need a goalie.

NOT. Stuart signed here because he wanted to stay long term. He said he was tired of moving. No way he waves his no trade clause. And Cleary. The Wings LOVE Cleary. He's not going anywhere and even if they wanted to move him why on earth would anybody on the Wings wave their no trade clause. It's not gonna happen.

Good deal but 11 years is ridiculous.

Surely one of Rafalski and Stuart will have to be moved on? I see no other options. Sadly Hudler is gone, he's going to be a 70 point guy on another team which hurts.

Stuart has a NTC so he isn't going anywhere and Ralfi is our #2 D-man so he isn't going anywhere.

Here are the people that ARE expendable

Flip

Lils

Lebda

Mac

Cheli

Sammy

Downey

Meech

Conks

Huds

Kopy

That said, I don't want to blow up the team just so we can sign Hossa. Hossa is great but he's 1 guy and to keep him, we'd have to lose to many guys.

Guest Four
isnt there a separate thread for this already? How did game day turn into Franzen and Hossa AGAIN!?!!?!

Quickly, I like Franzen but if he wanted to have to best available chance(s) to win Cups within those 11 years, he should've have signed a contract that had a cap hit more like $2.9M. This pretty much screws us for Hossa, unless he takes a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE discount to stay here OR he signs somewhere for 1 year OR takes another 1 year deal at that same discount, then comes back when Lidstroms contract is off the books. Of course if Lids wants to stay he MUST take a HUGE discont as well. Franzen just tied the hands if Holland and Holland allowed it to happen.

ANYWAY, but to the ORIGINAL TOPIC. I know the game doesn't mean a damn thing in the grand scheme of things, but in thie case of an OBVIOUS, BLATENT and totally manufactered penalty, the referee should have some kind of ramafication to suffer. There ought to be fines and suspensions handed down by the league for obvious f**ck ups like yesterdays. Not that it would change the outcome of the game the day after, but it would make the refs be more accountable and, like Mickey said, make the mistake of missing a close call instead of calling a penalty that was never even there. That ref totally spit in the face of the NHL and gave it a black eye. Even Byfleuen(sp) said, it may have not been a penalty, which pretty much means, if that were called on his team, they would be screaming as well!

ALthough I really wanted to hear Babcocks thoughts on the "penalty" I give him credit for avoiding sure fines from the NHL if he did answer questions about it. Sure would've like to be a fly on the wall in his office though! I wonder if there is some kind of procedure to file a grievance or something against an obvious screw job like that. Not that it would change the call or give us the 1 point we were most certainly going get (at least) yesterday. Maybe do not allow him to ref any playoff games. Also, with all the veteran refs retiring this and next season, I certainly hope this is not the amateur garbage we are going to have to deal with from these new refs!

Uhh, wrong thread buddy xD

NOT. Stuart signed here because he wanted to stay long term. He said he was tired of moving. No way he waves his no trade clause. And Cleary. The Wings LOVE Cleary. He's not going anywhere and even if they wanted to move him why on earth would anybody on the Wings wave their no trade clause. It's not gonna happen.

All players get NTCs because they like where they're playing and don't want to move. But that doesn't mean players won't oblige to be traded by a team that no longer wants them. Its happened on a handful of occasions already in the last few years. Most guys don't want to stick around on a team thats asking them to pack their bags.

NTCs have become a means of having more control over where you get traded, if you're forced to move. How many "X GM has asked X player to compile a list of X amount of players he would accept a trade to" newscasts have we heard in the past few years? Plenty.

And you know that how? Nobody knows what the cap is going to do. Anybody that says that it is going to drop that dramatically is just guessing.

5.5 - 3.9 = $1.6 million discount/year. His actual salary doesn't count, just the cap hit.

You re in a misinterpretation. To trick the cap hit with a long term deal is good, but it s not equal to a discount.

Clearly by seeing these numbers we can figure out that he will be paid for every year what he will be supposedly worth. And i don't see a disccount for any of these years (especially in 6 years, still getting paid 5 mil)...

We re supposedly the best team of the NHL, and in order to remain it, we need in this cap world today to have great deals. Lots of players wants to play fo the best team and so to take a paycut. But i do think that it will be difficult to remain the best with deals like franzen or filpulla's one... May be i'm mistaken, but i just have the feeling these players didn't take a paycut enough..

All players get NTCs because they like where they're playing and don't want to move. But that doesn't mean players won't oblige to be traded by a team that no longer wants them. Its happened on a handful of occasions already in the last few years. Most guys don't want to stick around on a team thats asking them to pack their bags.

NTCs have become a means of having more control over where you get traded, if you're forced to move. How many "X GM has asked X player to compile a list of X amount of players he would accept a trade to" newscasts have we heard in the past few years? Plenty.

But I don't remeber ever hearing about a player being asked to waive a NTC when he is on a winning team. It's completely different when a player is on a losing team that wants to move him so that they can rebuild. In those cases, I agree the player may not want to stay anyway.

Give me a example of a player that was asked to waive his NTC when he was on one of the top teams in the league. I can't think of any...

Guest Crymson

He turns 30 at the end of December, and has just had his first 30 goal season. He's very clutch, this is true. But he's NOT a perennial 30-40 goal guy, he's a BAD skater, he's inconsistent defensively, and without a doubt he is one of the worst playmakers in the league playing more than ten minutes per game.

$4m per year for Franzen at his age, given the contract length and the fact he is INCREDIBLY injury prone, is probably fair value on the open market. But if he were taking a hometown discount as had been rumored and hoped, he would be making less than $3m per year.

I personally disagree with your assessment of him as inconsistent defensively and "one of the worst playmakers in the league playing more than ten minutes per game" (I think he's a decent playmaker and one of the better power forwards in the league in the defensive sense), but did you HONESTLY just call him "a BAD skater"???

You re in a misinterpretation. To trick the cap hit with a long term deal is good, but it s not equal to a discount.

Clearly by seeing these numbers we can figure out that he will be paid for every year what he will be supposedly worth. And i don't see a disccount for any of these years (especially in 6 years, still getting paid 5 mil)...

We re supposedly the best team of the NHL, and in order to remain it, we need in this cap world today to have great deals. Lots of players wants to play fo the best team and so to take a paycut. But i do think that it will be difficult to remain the best with deals like franzen or filpulla's one... May be i'm mistaken, but i just have the feeling these players didn't take a paycut enough..

If he's worth $5.5 million to another team, and he knows it, but signs here for $3.9 million, then we still got him at a discount. Let's try not to be so spoiled as fans as to expect discounts on top of discounts.

Neither Zetterberg and Lidström took more than 10%-15% paycut, and I do not see any reason why all those Hossas, Franzens , etc. should take more...

Its clear Kenny made his choice. IMHO, the Mule was signed at a reasonable cap hit. what potentially hurts is the contract length. I hope Franzen can stay productive and healthy for all those years. Power Forward is an awefully precarious position to play healthwise.

Oh well, Kenny did what he had to get done. I am happy be exploited the rules. However, I hope the league addresses this Cap loophole before the next CBA. from henceforth, heaven help all those small market teams trying to re-sign their 30-goal scorers...