• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IILeiBlazeII

Johan Franzen signs extension, 11 years

Rate this topic

This is great.

Please keep Hossa!!

My gosh guys, run the numbers there is NO chance Hossa is around next year. He wants a long term deal and with league revenues likely to decline, signing him to anything more than one year would be suicide in 2010/2011.

My gosh guys, run the numbers there is NO chance Hossa is around next year. He wants a long term deal and with league revenues likely to decline, signing him to anything more than one year would be suicide in 2010/2011.

The cap is expected to go up next year.

Like I said, Filppula needs to be traded, which may or may not happen.

if the shape of this contract is what was necessary to keep hossa, i'm ALL for it. if not, i'm not against it but i need a few years to determine the ROI.

perhaps the wings should grandfather in the tigers motto now that it is becoming even more relevant to their organization - always a red wing (always a tiger)

holland was just on fox detroit speaking about the inevitable moving of some players to keep hossa, if they're able to do it. his take was that they were going to lose some guys regardless and they feel they made a decision to lock up an already proven player... for longer term than they would have preferred but an exchange he was happy to make so that the cap hit could be where he/illitch need it to be.

whatever the case, i believe in kenny.

:clap:

I wasn't talking about next year, i was talking about the 2010/2011 season.

Lidstrom will be a free agent and will more than likely be taking less money. Same with Holmstrom.

we can probably still get hossa. he is at the midway point of his career so he probably wants to settle down somewhere and where better than beautiful detroit. the city may be pretty crap but at least he will know he will make the playoffs more consistently than he has before.

the problem with franzen is that he is not exactly young and he has only had 1 30 goal year in his career. 10 years is a gamble especially for an unproven talent. we have brilliant people like lidstrom and datsyuk and zeta but it has been a long time since the days of the two kids and a goat line, and st nicholas wants kevin lidstrom to live in sweden so they will probably move back after his contract ends. the only realy good young guy is leino but we are putting old farts like maltby on the club insted of him

Assuming the following moves are made:

RE-SIGNED

F Marian Hossa $6m cap hit

F Johan Franzen $3.9m cap hit

F Jiri Hudler $1.8m cap hit

F Ville Leino $1m cap hit

F Tomas Kopecky $575k cap hit

TRADED AWAY FOR PICKS/PROSPECTS

F Valtteri Filppula $3m cap hit

D Brad Stuart $3.75m cap hit

LEFT AS UFA

F Mikael Samuelsson

D Chris Chelios

G Ty Conklin

PROMOTED TO FULL TIME

F Leino

F Darren Helm $599,444 cap hit

D Jonathan Ericsson $900k cap hit

G Jimmy Howard $716,667 cap hit

If this situation occurs, then Franzen and Hossa can be retained. The Wings would be running on a 21-man roster with Meech serving as the only spare, and it could only occur if Stuart was willing to be traded. If Stuart and Cleary both are willing to waive NTCs, then the Wings have some cap space, as well as being able to perhaps bring back a decent, cheap roster player.

I wasn't talking about next year, i was talking about the 2010/2011 season.

Lidstrom's contract expires after next season. He's already stated he'd take a hometown discount in his next contract, if he doesn't retire. I would imagine Holland has already discussed this with him.

The cap is rumored to be 58 million next year, which is a 2 million dollar increase. In order to sign Hossa there would HAVE to be some trades. Flip has been mentioned in this thread a few times and that makes sense. I would think Lilja would be another one. The problem is, can you trade them and get no salaries in return? I doubt if someone will pick up Flip for 3 million and not require the Wings to take some salary back. My guess is that Hossa is gone, but I hope he'd take about 5 million a year for 10 years to stay.

If Franzen's deal is for about $4m...say goodbye to Filppula and either Stuart or Samuelsson+Hudler+possibly Leino unless Hossa is not returning, unless Hossa takes a VERY cheap deal.

I guess I don't see why they would need to cut $8M to give Franzen $3M more and Hossa $1M less per season.

No chance? Is that why Holland just said on TV that the two sides have been in talks since January, they'd both like to stay together, and if they agree on a cap number that works for both sides he's going to stay?

3.9 million dollars for a guy that's a clutch player. Big scorer / playoff performer and has 60 points this season that's a steal and having him for 11 years no problem.

People seem to always forget that yes the cap might stay the same this year but it will eventually go up. This guy is worth 5 million at least in open market. Props to Kenny for this one also.

I guess I don't see why they would need to cut $8M to give Franzen $3M more and Hossa $1M less per season.

You're forgetting about Zetterberg's raise. I agree with you though, keeping Hossa is definitely do-able without gutting the team totally.

Everyone's forgetting that this upcoming season is the only one where the cap situation is really a clusterf***. After '09-10 the Wings are in the clear as far as the cap goes.

Man this team will be *ahem* interesting in 8 - 10 years from now.

I don't see how this Franzen deal being that long of a term helps in the long run.....sure he gets money up front, but the 3.9 mill hit is still a 3.9 mill hit, just the same as if they went 4 years close to 16 mill... I dont see either Zetterberg or Franzen playing at the end of both these deals, more than likely one or maybe both will be retired....if Im thinking right, the money doesnt affect the cap if they are retired... but there will be amendments to the CBA im sure, especially after todays signing... they should have some sort of buyout changes where teams can just buyout players and not hit the cap as it does currently...

3.9 million dollars for a guy that's a clutch player. Big scorer / playoff performer and has 60 points this season that's a steal and having him for 11 years no problem.

People seem to always forget that yes the cap might stay the same this year but it will eventually go up. This guy is worth 5 million at least in open market. Props to Kenny for this one also.

I had hoped for less, but it's still a pretty darn good signing.

Pittsburgh threw $3.5m at Satan - how much do you think they would pay for Franzen?

There are a lot of teams that would kill for a scoring winger who has size, a nose for the net and can actually play defense.

Edmonton? Vancouver?

I would not be shocked if he received offers approaching $6m... not saying that's a good signing fr Franzen, but I think he would easily be a hot item.

franzen is completely different than zetterberg tho the comparisons dont work. at the end of zetterberg's career he will probably be a bit of a draper-esque player, more defensively skilled and probably a great penalty kill guy. can franzen offer us that? at least he is swedish

No chance? Is that why Holland just said on TV that the two sides have been in talks since January, they'd both like to stay together, and if they agree on a cap number that works for both sides he's going to stay?

mLive also talked to Franzen and Hossa last week, with Franzen saying "were very close" and Hossa responding with "we're not" thats not quoted word for word, but I made a long story short. Hossa saying he will take less money, doesnt really say how much is "less money" if he were willing to accept less money, he would have done so instead of "Settling" for what Lidstrom makes... Im not saying he wont be resigned, but this will be more difficult than most of us know.... Holland also never tips his hand in the press prior to anything.....

Franzen is a clutch player ... Lidstrom is what 38-39 and is getting payed 7.6 million a year at that age ... still playing at a high level what makes you think zettz and franzen still won't be playing at a high level at those ages?

Sorry for double post, but I just don't get why people are going so crazy for this deal. It's not like his getting paid 5 million for 11 years ... It's a cap hit of 3.9 ... which is cheap that's no home discount lool that's home ripping you off :).

Hossa will be gone next year if Franzen is at 3.9m/hit. Sure Hossa has said that he would take less to stay but 7.4m this year WAS less then he was offered. It will take 7.4m or more to keep him even long term and I don't think Kenny will gut the team to keep him. I guess it is possible but it is not looking good.

Hossa will be gone next year if Franzen is at 3.9m/hit. Sure Hossa has said that he would take less to stay but 7.4m this year WAS less then he was offered. It will take 7.4m or more to keep him even long term and I don't think Kenny will gut the team to keep him. I guess it is possible but it is not looking good.

I kinda like that Holland is now essentially forcing Hossa's hand.

You say you will sign for less? Well you'll have to to stay on this team, since we have already signed Zetterberg and Franzen. It will be no secret what the Wings can afford.

I'm not sure Hossa will take what is needed to stay, which is not the end of the world for the Wings.

Hossa will be gone next year if Franzen is at 3.9m/hit. Sure Hossa has said that he would take less to stay but 7.4m this year WAS less then he was offered. It will take 7.4m or more to keep him even long term and I don't think Kenny will gut the team to keep him. I guess it is possible but it is not looking too good.

Let's assume that Hossa (who is 30 years old) expects to play another 7-8 years and can realistically expect to earn $40-45 mil. over that period.

With a Franzen-type contract, Hossa could earn that over the first 7 years of a $50 mil. 11-year contract with a cap hit of only $4.5 mil. or so.

Edited by sibiriak