• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Superted

Where to now for the Sharks?

Rate this topic

You know, I actually feel really sorry for Sharks fans. They must be so pissed about now, and who can blame them? You know that a team is a choker when their own fans will happily admit it whilst ripping season tickets up and lighting them on fire.

If you were up the top of the SJS hierarchy, what do you do now? Do you press on and persist with the talent that you have hoping they'll finally get it done, or is it time to change? I'd hate to be the guy making that decision. You've got a top notch group of players - on paper and skills-wise the best in the business along with the Wings and Pens. Yet they've tried everything, and this year's coaching and personnel additions, which were supposed to tip them over the edge, produced nothing. If it is indeed time for change, how on earth do you conjur the testicular fortitude to start dumping the likes of Thornton, Marleau, Nabokov, Boyle and co... Imagine if we kept exiting in the first and second rounds year after year, and started questioning the necessity of having Datysuk, Zetterberg, Hudler etc. Personally, I think they have to change. Perhaps not such a drastic fire sale of all their key players, but something's gotta change... it's one thing to fail for one or two years. But to keep on doing it for several seasons??! Man, that's painful. There's obviously something intangibly missing from that roster which is failing them, and if they haven't gotten it by now they never will.

One step back, two steps forward I say.

Anyway, was just thinking about it before and was wondering what others thought.

they have quite a list of UFA's. might as well dump the team. joe and patty don't have trade clauses to wave. cheech has been worthless for a couple years, nabby looks like a regular season ozzy...presidents trophy jinx! time to re-re-build the sharkies. they looked in the third period that it wasn't that important to win....like always. someone said earlier this year that the sharks reminded them of the sens....ha, they are right....go wings!

They need to pick up best UFA psychiatrist they can find. Seriously this is a head space problem by now.

They lost 5 games in regulation at home all year, they lose the first 2 in the playoffs. The Ducks aint no regular 8 seed but damn. No heart, no soul, no grit. Punch em in the mouth and collect $200. Paint it any way you like, they folded like a bad card table.

Edited by softshoes

I think it got to start from Thornton and Co.

Unfortunately Sharks doesn't have continuation, even they brought some stanley cup winners (Boyle, Blake) but they can't teach Joe how to win, there is got to be a better process how veterans can teach young players how to win (example: Detroit).

-Move Thorton for less-heralded, more playoff proven depth.

-Re-retire Claude Lemeiux

-Give Jeremy Roenick to a team whose actually serious about winning a Cup

-Tell Cheechoo he sucks

It really is a dilemma, because there's no disputing that that's a very, very good hockey team, they just aren't getting it done in the playoffs.

I don't know what their FA situation is, but obviously you have to take a hard look at some of those guys before deciding whether to re-sign.

The OP mentioned Nabokov, Boyle, Thornton and Marleau. Boyle's a proven winner, so I'll keep him. I do have doubts about Nabby's ability to be a playoff-caliber goalie, but he's not the central problem.

I really think that the issues start right at the center of the room, with Marleau and Thornton. Name one other captain in the entire league who jumps to avoid being hit with a shot, as Marleau did in the playoffs last year (sorry, couldn't find it on YouTube for those who don't remember). That tells me everything I need to know about his ability to lead a team in the playoffs. He should be gone, or at the very least should have his C ripped.

So should Thornton I think. He's a guy that I generally like, and he actually didn't play all that badly in the series, but he has a reputation, fair or not. The fans and the media are already turning on him. A fresh start would be best for everyone involved, and even with his rep, he's still a top-10 player and you could get something nice and shiny for him.

The Sharks maybe have the best set of role players in the league, their D is great. They just need some leadership and guts from their stars. And maybe a goalie after that. We're ridiculously lucky as Wings fans to have stars who give it, because they set the tone for your whole team. Everyone saw exactly what they were trying to do with the Lemieux move, but the guys at the top need to know what it takes too, not just the occasionally-dressing 4th line guys.

Step 1: Get rid of Claude Lemieux.

Step 2: Don't Care.

esteef

:beerbuddy:

Blow them up. Keep Thorton, Clowe, Boyle and any other noteworthy youth and lose the rest for picks and proven playoff performers. That third period yesterday was UNACCEPTABLE. PERIOD.

I don't think you blow them up. That's not fair to the team or the fans and I think it's just a suckers way out. Management is gonna have to think long and hard about what they will do. There needs to be changes for sure but as c-townwing said they are a very good team, playoff losses not withstanding. Blowing them up would have been like blowing up the Wings in 94. Marleau needs to be gone and cheecho as well I think. i'm not sure on Thornton yet if I would do that. he's got so much talent do you really get rid of him? It will be an interesting summer for the Sharks no doubt.

I don't really see a dominant leader type in the locker room that has led a team to a Cup before, Blake and Boyle are nice but they were by no means leading their respective teams charge when they got their ring. A Niedermayer, Lidstrom, type is what they are missing....unfortunately for them, there is only a limited number of those guys out there.

It's funny how everyone here is saying "lose Marleau and Lemieux", Marleau, the guy who scored the game winning goal in both Sharks wins, and Lemieux, the guy who played 7 minutes in one game of the whole series.

They need to lose Nabokov. He's good but not good enough. Take a look at his overall career and you'll see that. Just a change would be great for them, just to look back there and see a different face. And Brian Boucher is not it either.

Trading Thornton wouldn't be the end of the world because the return on him would be excellent. The Tampa Lightning sure seem to want to run Lecavalier out of town, that guy is top 5 centers in the league, what a replacement he'd be.

It's funny how everyone here is saying "lose Marleau and Lemieux", Marleau, the guy who scored the game winning goal in both Sharks wins, and Lemieux, the guy who played 7 minutes in one game of the whole series.

For clarity, my call for Lemieux to be gone has nothing to do with his performance. He's just a dick.

esteef

The Sharks probably should keep most of the team together... find your Primeau & Coffee to trade away for the right guy. Bring in a veteran goalie who has been to the show (hopefully won) and you're there.

The Sharks probably gave too much of themselves during the season, they never let off the gas. They also ran into a hot team that should never have been an 8th seed, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

The CBJ really f*cked up the seeding this year by limping into the playoffs. Glad we were able to play them first.

I don't think you blow them up. That's not fair to the team or the fans and I think it's just a suckers way out. Management is gonna have to think long and hard about what they will do. There needs to be changes for sure but as c-townwing said they are a very good team, playoff losses not withstanding. Blowing them up would have been like blowing up the Wings in 94. Marleau needs to be gone and cheecho as well I think. i'm not sure on Thornton yet if I would do that. he's got so much talent do you really get rid of him? It will be an interesting summer for the Sharks no doubt.

If he doesn't get traded, the Sharks should demand his pay be cut in half from 7.2 to 3.6 mill so they can sign a real PO performing forward like Franzen (sorry our Franzen is locked up). :)

Seriously, that's way too much money for a guy that shows no guts in the POs....

you have to either move Marleau or Thornton, they changed some personnel last season and it got them no where. Not that I would be necessarily angry if they did nothing, seeing them choke is fun to watch

I'd start by getting a decent backup goaltender. The last few seasons Nabby has place a relatively great regular season, only to fall short in the playoffs. I attribute that to playing too much.

Agreed, Kiprusoff has it even worse in Calgary, the guy played 76 regular season games and in the 6 games where he did get a rest, they did not get a single win. Had Calgary ended up making it to the Finals, Kippy would have played almost 100 games, I don't know what these GMs are thinking playing these guys so much

For clarity, my call for Lemieux to be gone has nothing to do with his performance. He's just a dick.

esteef

And for clarity, my call for Marleau to be gone has nothing to do with his offensive upside or his ability to score clutch goals. He's just not the kind of leader that you need on a successful playoff team, IMO.