• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wmubronco420

Stanley Cup Finals Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

What Burnside and LeBrun forget is that we will have Johan Franzen to start this serious.

Yeah, Detroit is banged up but we will have Lidstrom back for game one. Ericsson will be back for game one or two and definitely back by game three. I am not sure what is going on with Datsyuk but we added Hossa this year which will help fill some of the gap.

Basically, I think if Detroit holds Crosby and Malkin in check then they repeat. Pittsburgh needs Crosby, Malkin, and Fluery all to have a GREAT series against the Red Wings. The odds are still against Pittsburgh.

Edited by sdogg1m

The over and under is low - I was in Vegas back in February and remember seeing the Penguins were at about +750 to win the cup with Detroit as the favorites.

What the f*** is everyone so frightened about? I'm seeing a lot of weak-willed wings fans in here crying out that pittsburgh wont be easy. Whoever said getting past the ducks was the hardest (AND WILL BE THE HARDEST) series, is simply genius.

The east is weak for a reason. Pittsburgh is just proof of that.

I said wings in 4 with chicago but can we really count that loss to chicago and say it wasn't from the officials? LOL.

Anyways, wings in 4 my personal expectations. 5 at best.

I do think that the Pens are getting a bit too much credit for the Carolina series (they were actually more impressive in their playoff run last year imo), but predicting a sweep is a little much.

I'll say Wings in 6, 5 if everyone's healthy (most likely not the case). I think the back to back games are a disadvantage for the Wings not only because of the injury situation, but also because it's extremely difficult to win games on back to back days, so it kind of takes away from home ice advantage. Pittsburgh beat Washington on back to back games and they also had to travel, so who knows.

Go Wings.

Lines I've seen have the Wings (-1.5) with an O/U at a remarkably low 5.5. I think game one sees at least six goals, but I do think a lower-scopring game helps the team in red.

Found it:

http://www.point-spreads.com/hockey/052809...tting-odds.html

Wings are (-155) to Pitts (+125) to win the Cup.

I am not a gambler so can someone tell me what this all means?? never payed enough attention to figure it out !!!

I am not a gambler so can someone tell me what this all means?? never payed enough attention to figure it out !!!

I'm not entirely familiar with the bookies but I believe that -155 means that someone has to bet $155 to get a $100 payout.

The long and short of it is that the Wings are the favorites according to Vegas.

The team with the - rating is the favorite and the + is the underdog.

The wings are at -155 so If you want to win $100 you would have to bet $155

The pens are the dogs so if you were to bet $100 right now and they won you would win $125.

It is basically a calculated scale done by the betting house in which they require more money to place a bet on the favorite with the potential of a lower return. Less money for the underdog but with the chance of a higher payout.

Just to keep things in perspective in regards to all the media pundits - bookies and oddsmakers are typically right about 70-77% of the time from the onset of their predictions barring any unforeseen injuries. The pundits don't come close to that...

Edited by Glubki

What the f*** is everyone so frightened about? I'm seeing a lot of weak-willed wings fans in here crying out that pittsburgh wont be easy.

True, dat. No one here wants to underestimate the Pens given their experience from last year.

Logistically, the Pens are hardly intimidating defensively. On paper, a *healthy* Wings squad should eat those kind of opponents for lunch. We all shall soon see.

I think that the Pens had a MUCH easier series with Carolina than we did with Anaheim. A sweep of the Hurricanes is like a sweep of the kitchen floor for heaven's sake! ;)

We'll be fine. We have the defense to take care of the Pens and their cry baby. The Boys just have to bring it and hit hard--from the start!

Ericsson will be back. Laparoscopic appendectomy is a near instant recovery.

Oh, I was hoping they did it the new-fangled way. Yeeeehaaaa!

Meanwhile, you can call up any stats, any players and any and all historic whatever. Bottom line is the Pens need to have their butts handed to them because of all the sickening, obscene marketing-type hype that Buttman and the NHL have inundated us with about the golden boy and his hotshot sidekick. I lift my leg on their profiteering logic. For that reason alone, I hate them and they need to go down.

Edited by Vladifan

Last year they had two players really dominating going into the Finals, Crosby and Hossa. Malkin was silent. Now, Hossa is gone and Malkin is on top. So that's still just two forwards that are playing great. Certainly reason for optimism, although Crosby and Malkin '09 are still probably an improvement over Crosby and Hossa '08.

Things are very dependent on Nick and Datsyuk's health right now.

I have this hope that not only do we successfully harrass Crosby and Malkin, but that Malkin reacts like he did last time we played. And that is he.is.intimidated. I don't think...OK, I hope he doesn't have the chutzpah that Crosby does and that he is directly and negatively affected by our swarming him at any and all times.

Everyone keeps talking about Malkin, sure he is actually doing something this year but I do not think he is doing enough to make up for the loss of Hossa. I would disagree that Z is playing worse, he is has been extremely solid 2 ways again, for that matter so has Dats and other guys have stepped up to provide scoring. I just do not see that big of a difference between the 2 teams from last year and I am fine with betting on Dats waking up for this round if healthy. I already stated in my post that health will be an issue. Even if Z and Dats do not score much but play a stiffiling 2 way game, we have others Hossa,Mule,Cleary,Sammy,Huds etc that can step in and score goals, just do not see why so many are so worried, could the Wings loose? Of course according to quantum science if a person tries to walk through a wall enough times they will eventually succeed, same things applies to the Pens winning this, possible but not likely.

Right now, if I can't have it all from Dats, I sure as hell will take his defensive play. Especially against the likes of Crosby and Malkin.

Wings in 7, I am feeling really uneasy about this series.

But in saying that, we have so much more depth, and our defence is scary. It makes you wonder why we were conceeding so many goals during the regular season with a defence like ours.

I guess I'm nervous because of what's at stake. I didn't really read a lot into the EC Finals, Carolina were deplorable. What I think people forget is that Washington almost beat Pittsburgh and they are no way near Detroit.

Wings in 7, I am feeling really uneasy about this series.

But in saying that, we have so much more depth, and our defence is scary. It makes you wonder why we were conceeding so many goals during the regular season with a defence like ours.

I guess I'm nervous because of what's at stake. I didn't really read a lot into the EC Finals, Carolina were deplorable. What I think people forget is that Washington almost beat Pittsburgh and they are no way near Detroit.

So why 7 games? Sorry but I just don't see the Pens beating us 3 times...

Guest mindfly

Anyone know why hossa only play like 16-18minutes at most... he's that skilled and could play both pk and pp so he should be up with Z's icetime... 20-23mins per game... or?

100% Lidstrom and at least 50% Datsyuk........Wings in 5

Less than 100% Lids and No Datsyuk......Wings in 6

No Lids, Datsyuk.......Wings in 7

I'm just not as worried about it this year for some strange reason. I have no real reason to feel that way as the Penguins look pretty good this year, I just like our chances in mostly shutting down either Crosby or Malkin which will sink the Pens right quick.

I'd put my money on Wings in 6

Just like last series, i dont think the big guns are going to do the bulk of the goal scoring.

Like last series it wasnt kane and towes.. it was Sharp and havlat. This series names to look out for... Satan, kunitz, fedotenko.. I have a feeling they will be more likely to score bigger goals than crosby, malkin or stall...

Same thing could be said about the wings... expect a big series from filppula, hudler, cleary, samulesson, helm... Thats not even mentioning the wings big 4 (Z,H,D,F). I think the wings just have too much depth and crosby and malkin are going to have to learn to score against the best D in the league, that means scoring those garbage goals.

Edited by tommingthepuck96

So why 7 games? Sorry but I just don't see the Pens beating us 3 times...

Yeah the more I thought about it the more I became convinced we'll win, in less than 7 too. If only we were healthy, I'd be feeling a lot more confident.

Now that we have Lids and Ericsson back, I don't see the Pens beating the wings more than twice. I am calling for a repeat of last year. Wings in 6...in Pitt. I agree that the 2nd hand scorers will be the ones to worry about. With Lids back in the lineup, we will actually be able to play more than 4 defensemen. I have an uneasy feeling but I think the experience, skill, and deph of the Red Wings will bring the cup back home where it belongs....in the Joe.

Wings in 6

Anyone know why hossa only play like 16-18minutes at most... he's that skilled and could play both pk and pp so he should be up with Z's icetime... 20-23mins per game... or?

Hank is a much better shutdown defensive forward and better PKer. He plays the most minutes against the opposition's guys who play the most minutes, and is always over the boards first on the PK or cricial late game situations. Their ice time respective to one another is fine.