• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wmubronco420

Stanley Cup Finals Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

This is going to be a hard-fought series without a doubt. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see it go to 7 games and I honestly think it's a tossup right now given our injury situations. I could see it going either way, but I feel like neither time is going to go home feeling like it wasn't a great series on every level. This is going to take the best effort from both teams and I have little doubt that they'll bring it. This may become the best finals in years. I'm pumped.

Scary thing for Wings: injuries, Malkin and Crosby are only better this year, Pittsburgh's going to be even hungrier, they're a more balanced and experienced team this year

Scary thing for Pens: Hossa seems to just be finding his game, if Dats and Lids return and are even close to 100% we're a superior team, Osgood's the best goalie in the playoffs and is playing perhaps the best hockey of his career, our depth guys continue to find ways to contribute

Again, I'm thinking 7 games, and I can't make a call now. I'll know better after game 2.

You also have to include that Cleary is better; Hudler is better; Filppula is better; etc. It's hard to find a player on the Wings roster who is worse in comparison to last year.

Not overly worried about the Pens.

The Pens were high flying and looked unstoppable last year as well but now they are down 1 Hossa and We are up 1 Hossa.

Certainly I would say Malkin has stepped up his game, Crosby is about the same, If healthy Lids can effectively remove one of them. We now have Big E and Helm has stepped up to another level, Flip and Huds are also a notch above last year and Clearly is a full notch up. I think E can handle Malkin if he is on his game although this will have to be proven obviously. Sammy is Sammy and seems to play the same game every time. The Mule is who he is come playoffs. Watch out of Dats wakes up for this series and is Healthy.

Health will be a factor and certainly make things easier if this couple days is enough to get healthy. I think the Pens come out hot and heavy like the Hawks did but get worn down by 3rd Period and more as the series drags.

If Wings are healthy Wings maybe in a Sweep (if they show to play all 60 minutes each game)5 at most, partly healthy Wings in 6 again.

Loose another key forward or D man it's a toss up.

Pens are still alot like the Hawks.

I think it will be a good series to watch but I do not feel all the stress that other posters have stated.

Gooooo Wings!!

But we don't have Dats and Z playing as well as they did last year and even Hossa hasn't put up the numbers he was last year. While I think he looks poised to change that right now, Z and especially Dats now are another story. Meanwhile, they've got Malkin who was next to worthless last year scoring like a maniac along with Crosby. I'm not saying that we're still not the better team when you consider all factors, but I think it's going to be a much tougher win than last years. They're lucky it went to six last year. I'm going to be really surprised if either team runs away with this series.

Crosby and Malkin are better this year. Staal is worse. Fleury is way worse. The depth of the Pens is worse. The coaching is improved. The D is about the same.

Meanwhile, the Wings have added Hossa, Helm, and Ericsson as regulars, Abs, Leino as sometimes, and lost... Drake?

This may sound like a broken record, but the first two games at home are extremly important for us, if we take both, the Peguins will be forced to make adjustments also then we only have to win 1 in Pittsburgh to get it back to game 5 up 3-1!! I truly hope we play games 1 and 2 like a game 6 and 7!! it sets a tone, which we need to do against these guys.

Also, I think the pressure is on Pittsburgh this time, they have to win this series to prove themselves, we'll see how they respond!

People seem to be forgetting that, before the SCF, Crosby and Malkin were scoring at nearly the same pace last year as they are this year. It's only a little improved on behalf of both, actually (Malkin increased slightly more). Additionally, they both had better +/- going into the SCF last year then they do this year. They really aren't that improved. In fact, they've taken more games to get to the SCF this year than last.. though that's more of an indication of their depth this year, which has -decreased-.

Pens are less scary this year, as long as we have our dudes.

i was just thinking about something. The wings toughest series so far was the Ducks: a mean, physical, dirty team with a pretty good defense. Against offensive teams we were basically able to dominate.

The pens hardest fought series was against the caps: a great offensive team(still not as good as the wings btw) but with little to no defense.Really, the pens havent played ANY elite defensive teams and therefore i beleive their offensive stats are a little bloated. They are also giving up close to 2.75 gpg.

Edited by wmubronco420

Everyone knows that health is the biggest issue here. Last year, the Red Wings D managed to shut down Hossa and Crosby. Although, Malkin is a very tough player and will play well. The Wings have to be healthy and have to be ready to play. They can't slack off like they did against the Ducks.

The Wings get Lids back(game 1) and get Dats back(game 2). Will be a hard fought series. Wings take it in 6.

I still can't underestimate the hunger that's probably going to be sweeping over that Pens room again. I don't care what stats or injuries either teams carrying into this series or how the stats compare to last year. All that matters is that last year we won and we beat them and now we're back for round 2. Heaven knows what kind of fire that's going to light under that team. Again, not saying at all that we won't have an answer for it and my gut tells me we're winning this series, but I really think it's going to be a lot tougher than some are making it out to be. I'd love for it to be over in 5 at home, but I think that's going to be real tough.

I think we're splitting first 2 at home and second 2 on the road. Actually...

Game 1 - Pens win

Game 2 - Wings win

Game 3 - Wings win

Game 4 - Pens win

Game 5 - Wings win

Game 6 - Pens win

Game 7 - Wings win

That's my gut feeling right now. I very well might want to revise it after a couple games though.

All hinges on whether we get back Lids or not. As good as Stuart, Kronner and the others have been in his absence, we NEED him if we are going to have any chance of shutting down Crosby and Malkin.

To hear that he's walking around with a limp makes me worried.

Where was it stated he is walking with a limp? My first thought was that his elbow might be bothering him...but I guess for once it really could have been a lower body injury and not just a cover. Sigh...he has until, what - Saturday? Geez, get well soon Lids!

Ok.

I hate to say it, but the Penguins will hit worse trouble against the Wings this year than before. The Pens have lost key players that stepped it up against Detroit in teh SCF last year. I watched them play, and a lot of their success comes from plays the Wings are usually best at stopping. Defense wins you championships, not Offense.

We beat the Ducks, and the Ducks would wipe the floor with the Pens (we ALL know that). Lets face it. Its a repeat finals, so lets repeat! Wings in 5 so we can celebrate in Detroit. We almost put them out in 5 games last year, I think with the teams and rosters and play of late... Wings can nail this sucker down in 5.

Lets not forget the Caps took them to 7 Games.

Edited by RedLightGoesOn

Last year they had two players really dominating going into the Finals, Crosby and Hossa. Malkin was silent. Now, Hossa is gone and Malkin is on top. So that's still just two forwards that are playing great. Certainly reason for optimism, although Crosby and Malkin '09 are still probably an improvement over Crosby and Hossa '08.

Things are very dependent on Nick and Datsyuk's health right now.

Last year they had two players really dominating going into the Finals, Crosby and Hossa. Malkin was silent. Now, Hossa is gone and Malkin is on top. So that's still just two forwards that are playing great. Certainly reason for optimism, although Crosby and Malkin '09 are still probably an improvement over Crosby and Hossa '08.

Things are very dependent on Nick and Datsyuk's health right now.

Actually, they had 3 dominating players going into the finals.. Malkin, Hossa, and Crosby. Malkin's guns didn't really silence until the SCF.

They also had a goaltender that was posting a SV% in the realms of .930 as opposed to .906.

And this.. has noone else noticed this?

But anyhow, the more interesting thing to pick out of this, in my opinion, is that things are being hyped up that we're seeing this vastly improved Crosby and Malkin as compared to last year.. where in fact, Malkin's PPG (pre-SCF) is only up just slightly and Crosby's is nearly identical (though his GPG is way up). Very little difference in the defense, though Letang is a little better. The forward supporting cast is down a notch, and Fleury definitely isn't doing any better (though some of that is attributable to the superior offense they've faced this run.. only some.)

Really hope they win it for Hossa.

Hossa's gotta help, score some goals he was killer last year in the finals, he should be up for it seeing as he's going up against his old team, i expect a big series from him and although my blood pressure would be through the roof I wouldn't mind a Hossa Series winning goal from Hossa in OT of game 7

Edited by redwings4life

Hossa's gotta help, score some goals he was killer last year in the finals, he should be up for it seeing as he's going up against his old team, i expect a big series from him and although my blood pressure would be through the roof I wouldn't mind a Hossa Series winning goal from Hossa in OT of game 7

This. If Hossa wants a cup, he'd better play his heart out.