• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wmubronco420

Stanley Cup Finals Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

This. If Hossa wants a cup, he'd better play his heart out.

do you really think he wont? hes been playing his ass of all playoffs, i doubt he'd quit during the SCF.

Edited by wmubronco420

I'm going with Wings in 6, and aren't Pens fans just full of knowledge. This was taken from a Pens facebook group. I removed the name and where the person is from.

Wings fans haha!! You guys have no idea what's about to happen to you guys. We werent supposed to make the finals last year and we did and we took you fags 6 games, almost 7 if that douchebag Hossa coulda scored. Were way more prepared this year, get ready to face an explosive offence, a stingy defense, and a better goalie than Osgood. The wings have a solid team though, a good enough team to play wide open hockey but they are ******* and play the most boring brand of hockey, get ready for some exciting hockey, cu the Penguins are for real this year!

Seems like someone doesn't know anything about the Wings at all, or about their own team.

The only thing that makes me nervous bout the Pens is Malkin and Crosby. Wings get them covered and all will be fine! Wings are better up front, defensively, and in net.

It'd be a great boost to have Lids, Dats, Johnny, and Drapes come back. I'm pretty sure the first three will be ready to go.

Wings in 5.

Wings in 6. This is going to be hard, and not even close to walk in the park, so all of you saying Wings in 4 or 5.....what are you smoking?

Who knows when we'll get Nick, Pavs, Drapes and Ericsson back or what shape they'll be in when they get here. I think we'll win but it won't remotely be close to easy.

I agree that the Ducks were probably the toughest team in the playoffs. However, that series and this one against the Hawks have clearly taken their toll on this team.

I don't believe that the Pens could beat a fully healthy and rested Wings team. But a bruised, decimated and tired Wings team? That is a different story.

QFT

after the wings beat the ducks i was not worried about any other team left but now with lids and dats hurt and also the strain the last 2 series have put on the team, especially the D, i am not as confident as i was. especially when you add in the fact that the pens are pretty healthy and just had a very comfortable series against the canes and so should be pretty fresh for the back-to-back at the weekend.

i think this series is a coin-toss atm but if lids does not return very soon then then the edge goes to the pens IMO.

The schedule is a complete joke, why they are jamming these games in? Beat a team in 5 games and get pushed into a back to back at home instantly.

I agree. I can't believe they're going to rush these games like this. I'd say the schedule is definitely in favor of the pens. No reason to do back to back games in the finals.

I posted this in another thread about the mckeon post. My opinion still stands.

I follow the pens pretty closely (i have to, one of my best friends is an obnoxious pens fan) and I gotta say i'm not worried, nor am I overly impressed.

Right now the pens are flying because they're two best players; Crosby and Malkin are playing the hockey of their lives. That was enough for Washington and Carolina but it won't be enough for us.

Here's my opinion on why;

1. The hossa factor. We all know he's been kinda quiet during the playoffs, except when he's motivated. When he's properly motivated (see pissed off super hossa after game three in quakckland) he's a force of nature. This guy is going to be boo'd ridiculed and otherwise lampooned every time he touches the puck. I hope they do too, I hope they give him such hell, because he knows that if the wings lose to the pens, he'll never hear the end of it his entire career. He won't let that happen.

2. One line does not a champion make

The Wings have beaten this team so many times in the past. 97 with the legion of doom line, 98 bondra oates juneau 02 BBC line of Battaglia-Brindamour-Cole,....most recently we did it again we beat malkin-Crosby-Hossa. Every year we win the cup, we do so because our D locks down their best line and our depth takes over. If we're healthy the pens won't be able to keep up.

3. They say they're better than last year, so are we.

Last year we could not have survived a playoff series with Datsyuk injured and not producing, in 07 we couldn't hang out when one of our top four D men was out and yet we did both this year. Ozzie I think at times has matched if not exceeded his play of last year stealing games at times against the ducks. Lastly, this years team is one of the most physical in recent memory. It's not like we're the same team as last year

4. They're a year older and wiser, so?

Another thing i keep hearing over and over again is how Crosby and Malkin are another year older, yada yada yada, Islanders vs. Oilers Gretzky had to lose in order to learn to win etc. etc. Sorry i don't buy it. You know who else is a year older? Darren Helm, Flip, Hudler, Franzen it's not like we're a team of Old guys anymore, we've got our own young guns, granted they're not on the level of crosby of malkin, but as opposed to two super players, we've got guys just as good, but also a team full of budding youth. Do give me the line that the wings are old and slow, if that was the case the hawks should dominate us.

It's not the same, the pens are a completly differenent team for the most part, but i'll say this, were it counts; the match ups have largley favored us and remained unchanged. Crosby's still gonna have to solve Zetterberg, Malkin is gonna have to figure out our D (remember that he was on fire last year heading in too) and Fleury is going to have to dramatically outplay ozzie which i don't think he can do.

Wings in Six.

Said it before and said it again.. Pens look more dangerous then last year.. Malkin and crosby looking better this year Plus the addition of Kunitz (I miss him :( ), Adams, and Guerin..

Yes there are Negative Hossa but the play of malkin, crosby and deadline pickups make up for his loss.

Sure you can argue D wins cups but there D has not been the worst.. of course it has not been as good as the wings D but you can not right them off just because of this reason.

In the end .. Whoever wins takes it in 7.

The key to this series is the return of Nic 1st and for most and Dats. If they are back at even 80% I have no doubt we will beat them.

"...the Penguins are suddenly the clear-cut favorites to win their first Cup since 1992."

Wow, really???

Normally, Burnside is pretty good at series analysis but I don't know about that statement. He picks the Pens in 6...

Eh, Burnside is a chump. He could at least get minor facts straight.. like how it says in the article game 3 vs Chicago was 6-2.

The sad part is that's closest to what ESPN has to a decent hockey writer.

The key to this series is the return of Nic 1st and for most and Dats. If they are back at even 80% I have no doubt we will beat them.

Naw, we don't need those jokers. We've outscored our opponents at a 4-1 ratio when both of them were not in the lineup.

:confused1:

Statistics are not always reliable.

Edited by MidMichSteve

But we don't have Dats and Z playing as well as they did last year and even Hossa hasn't put up the numbers he was last year. While I think he looks poised to change that right now, Z and especially Dats now are another story. Meanwhile, they've got Malkin who was next to worthless last year scoring like a maniac along with Crosby. I'm not saying that we're still not the better team when you consider all factors, but I think it's going to be a much tougher win than last years. They're lucky it went to six last year. I'm going to be really surprised if either team runs away with this series.

Everyone keeps talking about Malkin, sure he is actually doing something this year but I do not think he is doing enough to make up for the loss of Hossa. I would disagree that Z is playing worse, he is has been extremely solid 2 ways again, for that matter so has Dats and other guys have stepped up to provide scoring. I just do not see that big of a difference between the 2 teams from last year and I am fine with betting on Dats waking up for this round if healthy. I already stated in my post that health will be an issue. Even if Z and Dats do not score much but play a stiffiling 2 way game, we have others Hossa,Mule,Cleary,Sammy,Huds etc that can step in and score goals, just do not see why so many are so worried, could the Wings loose? Of course according to quantum science if a person tries to walk through a wall enough times they will eventually succeed, same things applies to the Pens winning this, possible but not likely.

Everyone keeps talking about Malkin, sure he is actually doing something this year but I do not think he is doing enough to make up for the loss of Hossa. I would disagree that Z is playing worse, he is has been extremely solid 2 ways again, for that matter so has Dats and other guys have stepped up to provide scoring. I just do not see that big of a difference between the 2 teams from last year and I am fine with betting on Dats waking up for this round if healthy. I already stated in my post that health will be an issue. Even if Z and Dats do not score much but play a stiffiling 2 way game, we have others Hossa,Mule,Cleary,Sammy,Huds etc that can step in and score goals, just do not see why so many are so worried, could the Wings loose? Of course according to quantum science if a person tries to walk through a wall enough times they will eventually succeed, same things applies to the Pens winning this, possible but not likely.

That's a good point. We don't need Hossa, Datsyuk and Zetterberg producing as long as they continue to play lock down defense, which they do. Let Helm, Flip and Sammy make things happen and the other guys to finish them while our stars simply neutralize Crosby and Malkin. Our depth gives us this ability to let our stars focus on neutralizing and our depth continue to score.

I'm gradually feeling more and more confident, so long as Lidstrom and Datsyuk return for games 1 or 2.

Guest mindfly

Pens lost whitney (traded to anaheim), malone(signed with tampa), Hossa(signed with detroit), roberts (retired) anyone else?

added kunitz, guerin, uhm...

not much better this year imo

The difference is this coach is much better for pens than therrien was.

Edited by mindfly

For all the talk about how Crosby and Malkin are a year more mature and playing well and the defense is improved I notice not many Pens fans are talking about Marc Andre-Fleury and that he's not playing nearly as well as he was last year.

If you have issues in net vs the Red Wings you have tee times