• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

VM1138

Helm's Potential

Rate this topic

With all the Helm man-love going on around here, and the fact that each game he gets better and better, I thought it was time to ask this question: Just how good will Helm be?

Right now he's looking an awful lot like Datsyuk and Zetterberg's early years. He's what, 21 right now? Earlier it's always seemed that his potential was to be a good fourth or third liner, but I think he's clearly demonstrating some early skills. I'm not sold he'll be a 1st liner, but with his consistency it's entirely possible in my mind.

What sort of player do we see Helm as being four years from now?

he is great with holding on and battling for that puck. he has a good shot and i think if he can work on those hands a bit more he could be a 20 goal scorer. I know there are alot of draper comparisons but he reminds me more of cleary except with blazing speed

He has the speed of Draper (Draper says more than him or anyone in the NHL), but also (I think) better moves on his feet. I have no idea what he will be, but right now he is making the games fun to watch.

Guest Four

I hope he turns out like the Mule and just randomly starts pulling out wicked dekes out of his ass and snipering top shelf.

Helm's speed + 1st or 2nd line talent = the new Bure?!

I hope he turns out like the Mule and just randomly starts pulling out wicked dekes out of his ass and snipering top shelf.

Oh yes that could be, and If it is, it will be great

That, combined with Pavel, Hank, Leino, Franzen, etc... pick any two. Powerhouse option.

Right now he's looking an awful lot like Datsyuk and Zetterberg's early years

I totally disagree with this. He's got a great future with us, but he's not the offensive passer/scorer they were at all. He's more of a Draper who works hard at both ends, wins faceoffs, plays great D and controls the puck, but he's never going to be a pretty passer/shooter like those two.

Helm's also playing like it's the Stanley Cup Finals and wants to make a huge impression.

I think in a long season he wouldn't be this good all the time. Not to take anything away from him, he definitely knows how to turn it up in the big games, but he's young and this is his first real NHL experience - Playoffs.

He reminds me Cleary in his early days with Red Wings. Cleary has developed since then and turned into excellent 3rd liner (better than 95% of third-liners in NHL). I see exactly the same in Helm. Really hope he will get his payday (just like Cleary) some time in the future. Right now he is special player every team wants to have.

I'm not really into the comparison thing, it just gets too complicated for me trying to figure out the qualities of the five or six players that would be involved. This kid has shown that he can skate, handle the puck, dish out some bruises and win faceoffs. Of course, he isn't up there at the top yet, except for the speed. You can't deny that he's, at worst, line two material. Possibly a first line skater if he picks up what others are laying down. He can learn a lot of stuff from the great players that he has access to. Learn to deke and get in the pretty ones, and the dude is a superstar. I say he's well on his way to a fantastic career... hopefully with the Red Wings.

Let's not get carried away people. I saw a comparision to Bure.... Bure is a generational talent. I see Helm as a third line beast or a second line shutdown center that you put out there in the last minutes of a game. I don't see him scoring more than 5-10 goals a season, he doesn't have much of a shot. If he goes to the Datsyul/ Hudler/ Filppula school of passing he might put up some mean assist numbers, though.

Helm's also playing like it's the Stanley Cup Finals and wants to make a huge impression.

I think in a long season he wouldn't be this good all the time. Not to take anything away from him, he definitely knows how to turn it up in the big games, but he's young and this is his first real NHL experience - Playoffs.

Kind of like Kronwall and Stuart who are abysmal in the season but are monsters in the playoffs.

he is great with holding on and battling for that puck. he has a good shot and i think if he can work on those hands a bit more he could be a 20 goal scorer. I know there are alot of draper comparisons but he reminds me more of cleary except with blazing speed

Cleary isn't that slow either...

OT: I think he's the kind of player who will always bloom in the post-season. But I can't see him in offensive role...excellent 3rd line center for the future though. Possibly 2nd line center if he works with his passing and has the right guys around him. He will never be as good offensively as Leino, Huds and Filppula though...

Let's not get carried away people. I saw a comparision to Bure.... Bure is a generational talent. I see Helm as a third line beast or a second line shutdown center that you put out there in the last minutes of a game. I don't see him scoring more than 5-10 goals a season, he doesn't have much of a shot. If he goes to the Datsyul/ Hudler/ Filppula school of passing he might put up some mean assist numbers, though.

I completely agree. He's nothing like a Z/Pav/Bure. He's Draper 2.0, the new and improved model. I can only hope he serves a Draper role on this team for a long time... huge speed, tenacious forechecking, a 1st pairing PKer, and a solid defensive centerman. Every team needs guys like this to be successful.

He's always been a late bloomer. He has truly gifted speed. I'm not going to say where he will end up, but in my mind he could surely reach a potential people are not expecting out of him. The worst he becomes is a 3rd line shut down center, and well the best? The sky is the limit in my mind especially with the talent the wings can put around him.

Darren Helm is the next Mike Fisher.

Could definitely see that, combined with the Draper vision (good two-way forward with great speed and physicality).

He's always been a late bloomer. He has truly gifted speed. I'm not going to say where he will end up, but in my mind he could surely reach a potential people are not expecting out of him. The worst he becomes is a 3rd line shut down center, and well the best? The sky is the limit in my mind especially with the talent the wings can put around him.

'Late bloomer'? No offense, but he's only 21. He's still got a long career ahead of him wearing the winged wheel.

'Late bloomer'? No offense, but he's only 21. He's still got a long career ahead of him wearing the winged wheel.

Considering he got cut from a JR. A team, went to play JR. B and dominate that level then went to Medicine Hat in the WHL and have a decent rookie year get drafted by the Wing's then emerge as one of the top players in the WHL. I'm just saying he starts off every league as a average to above average player then a year later dominates it, and that's what I consider a 'late bloomer'.