What if Pittsburgh scored with 6 men?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 ryan91

ryan91

Jr. Prospect

• 20 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:05 AM

I have heard alot of complaints about the officiating throughout this series, and in my opinion, justifiably so. From the missed too many men call, Ericsson's interference call that lead to a goal, and even the Malkin non suspension that should be a cut and dry rule, but isnt because the nhl protects its star players (and values ratings before anything else). I was just wondering what would have happened if Pittsburgh scored with 6 players and a goalie on the ice?

#2 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (ryan91 @ June 4, 2009 - 10:05AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have heard alot of complaints about the officiating throughout this series, and in my opinion, justifiably so. From the missed too many men call, Ericsson's interference call that lead to a goal, and even the Malkin non suspension that should be a cut and dry rule, but isnt because the nhl protects its star players (and values ratings before anything else). I was just wondering what would have happened if Pittsburgh scored with 6 players and a goalie on the ice?

I've thought about that as well -- amazingly, Pittsburgh did not get a single shot on net during those 21 seconds.
if the Penguins had scored, I really don;t think there is anything that can be done about it as long as the linesmen are not calling it.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#3 DatsMyWings13

DatsMyWings13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:09 AM

It would get reviewed and the goal would be dis allowed.

#4 ryan91

ryan91

Jr. Prospect

• 20 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (DatsMyWings13 @ June 4, 2009 - 10:09AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully that would be the case, however most people would say the same thing about the Hossa goal scored against the Ducks that was disallowed but something like that is un reviewable, and non calls are as well (such as too many men)

Edited by ryan91, 04 June 2009 - 09:14 AM.

#5 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (ryan91 @ June 4, 2009 - 10:05AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The NHL rulebook states that the goal would be disallowed AND a penalty would be assesed to the offending team. (74.1)
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#6 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:17 AM

Is it reviewable?
I though goals coul be reviewed and waived in the cases of: High sticking, kicking or 'handing' the puck in, or simly whether a puck crossed the line or not. Interference is not even reviewable.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#7 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:18 AM

Almost happened for us:

#8 maltbymaniac

maltbymaniac

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:18 AM

what if peanut butter didnt go with jelly???

sig by saran,Thanks

#9 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot) @ June 4, 2009 - 10:16AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The NHL rulebook states that the goal would be disallowed AND a penalty would be assesed to the offending team. (74.1)

The NHL rulebook also states that a team will be assessed a too-many-men penalty for having six skaters and a goalie on the ice.

#10 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:22 AM

Rule 74.1 says nothing about it being a reviewable offense in the case of a goal.

Interesting -- here is a blog on what the NHL reviews:
http://www.nhl.com/i...cmpid=rss-staff

#11 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (dat's sick @ June 4, 2009 - 07:18AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Almost happened for us:

It was Bettman loving the Wings, clearly.

Edit: Thanks for the link, I will use this many a time now against conspiracy nuts.

Edited by Shoreline, 04 June 2009 - 09:31 AM.

#12 DMAC 25

DMAC 25

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

only if it was detroit with the 6 men

#13 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (dat's sick @ June 4, 2009 - 08:18AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Almost happened for us:

Is that a regular season game vs. the Preds or a PO game from last year?

A bit of a difference when it happens in the SCF and might sway the series....

Edit: on a side note, remember the "5th down" touchdown by Colorado in 1990? They needed a TD to win at the end of the game and scored on 5th down - wasn't called back (no reviews at that time). Went on to an undefeated (tainted one) season.....
Colorado 5th down

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal, 04 June 2009 - 09:57 AM.

New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#14 Duck Guy

Duck Guy

Homer rocks your socks off Its knuckle Puck time!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

all goals in the playoffs are reviewed so it would of been taking away.
Posted Image
Veritas Aequitas

#15 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

All I want from the Hockey Gods is a simple change or two.

Change one- each coach gets 2 challenges per game, in the NFL style. Penalties, goals, and even non-calls like this 21-second too many men can be challenged. However, if the play is reviewed (by Toronto, not the refs on the scene) and the call on ice upheld, the challenging team gets a bench minor for delay of game, and loses their challenge.

Change two- goals can be reviewed, but not only in/out or high stick. The circumstances around the goal can be reviewed- goalie interference, too many men, whatever. Same penalty for losing the challenge, and review by Toronto as above.

It would slightly lengthen the game, but add to the integrity of the officiating and play.

Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#16 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (RockyMountainWingGal @ June 4, 2009 - 07:53AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that a regular season game vs. the Preds or a PO game from last year?

A bit of a difference when it happens in the SCF and might sway the series....

Edit: on a side note, remember the "5th down" touchdown by Colorado in 1990? They needed a TD to win at the end of the game and scored on 5th down - wasn't called back (no reviews at that time). Went on to an undefeated (tainted one) season.....
Colorado 5th down

How would it sway anything? The Penguins didn't score. Sure, they should have been penalized, but the Wings also get away with s*** they should be penalized with too, case in point, the video. It also shows that indeed the refs can't ALWAYS spot too many men so yet another strike against the conspiracy s***wagon.

Edit: And no I do NOT want af****** NFL style challenge. The NFL is the No Fun League because they need to challenge and replay everything and bog their game down with politically correct and futile attempts at trying to perfect every play. Let refs be human FFS. The Red Wings benefit just as much as anyone else from their mistakes.

Edited by Shoreline, 04 June 2009 - 10:03 AM.

#17 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (egroen @ June 4, 2009 - 10:22AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rule 74.1 says nothing about it being a reviewable offense in the case of a goal.

Interesting -- here is a blog on what the NHL reviews:
http://www.nhl.com/i...cmpid=rss-staff

74.2 Bench Minor Penalty – A bench minor penalty for too many men on the ice shall be assessed for a violation of this rule. This penalty can be assessed by the Referees or the Linesmen. Should a goal be scored by the offending team prior to the Referee or Linesman blowing his whistle to assess the bench minor penalty, the goal shall be disallowed and the penalty assessed for too many men on the ice.

Sorry 74.2... do your damn homework first.

[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#18 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot) @ June 4, 2009 - 11:06AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
74.2 Bench Minor Penalty – A bench minor penalty for too many men on the ice shall be assessed for a violation of this rule. This penalty can be assessed by the Referees or the Linesmen. Should a goal be scored by the offending team prior to the Referee or Linesman blowing his whistle to assess the bench minor penalty, the goal shall be disallowed and the penalty assessed for too many men on the ice.

Sorry 74.2... do your damn homework first.

Still states the ref or linesman has to make the call (back to the whole "intended to blow the whistle") -- nothing about it being a reviewable offense.

#19 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ June 4, 2009 - 11:01AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How would it sway anything? The Penguins didn't score. Sure, they should have been penalized, but the Wings also get away with s*** they should be penalized with too, case in point, the video. It also shows that indeed the refs can't ALWAYS spot too many men so yet another strike against the conspiracy s***wagon.

Edit: And no I do NOT want af****** NFL style challenge. The NFL is the No Fun League because they need to challenge and replay everything and bog their game down with politically correct and futile attempts at trying to perfect every play. Let refs be human FFS. The Red Wings benefit just as much as anyone else from their mistakes.

You want to tell me how 2 reviews per side, per game, is anywhere near the charlie-fox that is the NFL challenge system? I was merely saying NFL-style as a way of saying that if you challenge and lose, there's a penalty.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#20 MsRedWingFan

MsRedWingFan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

yupp all NHL rules seem to be left up to INTERPRETATION ... they would just says seeing the ref didn't make the call the goal is allowed

"Detroit Red Wings are who the Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago BlackHawks want to be "WHEN" they grow up"