• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 thegreat66

thegreat66

Rookie

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

What makes this series so great is the disparity in how these 2 teams are built. Penguins are topheavy with superior talent at the elite level(Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar, even Staal) where Wings don't matchup even taking into consideration how great Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Dats are. However, Detroit has an amazing advantage of depth once you move to midtier players. How does it play out is the $64,000 question. I still have to with Pens in 6. Saturday could be one of the best Stanley Cup games in last 15 years.

#2 Zack is Great

Zack is Great

Bigger Goal Bob, Mike owes me money.

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (thegreat66 @ June 5, 2009 - 01:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What makes this series so great is the disparity in how these 2 teams are built. Penguins are topheavy with superior talent at the elite level(Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar, even Staal) where Wings don't matchup even taking into consideration how great Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Dats are. However, Detroit has an amazing advantage of depth once you move to midtier players. How does it play out is the $64,000 question. I still have to with Pens in 6. Saturday could be one of the best Stanley Cup games in last 15 years.

You really don't think Zetterberg and Lidstrom match up to Gonchar and Staal in terms of talent?

#3 thegreat66

thegreat66

Rookie

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (Zack is Great @ June 5, 2009 - 02:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You really don't think Zetterberg and Lidstrom match up to Gonchar and Staal in terms of talent?

Well I rate Zetterberg on essentially same level as Cros when you factor in his defensive capabilities but I don't see anyone who matches up with Malkin including Dats. Have to pair up the best vs best on each team and move your way down. Yeah you have a point historically Lidstrom would rate higher than Gonch but I don't think in this series so far.

#4 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

LOL @ calling Lidstrom anything but elite talent.

He's the best defender in the NHL bar-none. Mentioned in the same breath as people like Bobby Orr.

He's one of the best to ever play the game. That's from Ted Lindsay's mouth.

#5 Zack is Great

Zack is Great

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

Gonchar is a decent player, but Lidstrom is, without a doubt, one of the best defenseman of all time. Like... the comparison between the two doesn't even exist. year in and year out, Lidstroms been dominant over everyone. Gonchar having a good series doesn't change that.

Crosby plays better offense than Zetterberg, I'll admit, but Zetterbergs defense is above and beyond what Crosby can do.

#6 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (thegreat66 @ June 5, 2009 - 02:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Staal is superior talent? Are you kidding me?

Don't get cocky.

#7 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (thegreat66 @ June 5, 2009 - 02:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I rate Zetterberg on essentially same level as Cros when you factor in his defensive capabilities but I don't see anyone who matches up with Malkin including Dats. Have to pair up the best vs best on each team and move your way down. Yeah you have a point historically Lidstrom would rate higher than Gonch but I don't think in this series so far.

rotflmao.gif ohmy.gif rotflmao.gif

#8 Jaymz99

Jaymz99

Black Ace

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (thegreat66 @ June 5, 2009 - 02:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you talk, do you taste it as it leaves your mouth, because we are tired of stepping in it?
All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. ~Gordie Howe

#9 Flintstone Cicarelli

Flintstone Cicarelli

Rookie

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

Staal isn't even the superior talent in his own famlily. In my neck of the woods, we have dubbed him Cap'n Limp Wrist. Up and until the shortie last night, I'd have put a large chunk of the series losing on Staal's back...not chasing down pucks, not planting his stick on the ice, losing sight of the puck on the abs goal and over general malaise. Stall would have most likey fanned or heeled the center from Malkin that Crosby made look like and easy chipper for goal 4 last night.

#10 thegreat66

thegreat66

Rookie

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (Jaymz99 @ June 5, 2009 - 02:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you talk, do you taste it as it leaves your mouth, because we are tired of stepping in it?

Cmon guys you can argue all day with logical evidence Detroit has better all around team. But you really won't concede that Malkin and Crosby are ahead of anything you guys have at 1 and 2 as far as best players on your team???

#11 Zack is Great

Zack is Great

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (thegreat66 @ June 5, 2009 - 01:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cmon guys you can argue all day with logical evidence Detroit has better all around team. But you really won't concede that Malkin and Crosby are ahead of anything you guys have at 1 and 2 as far as best players on your team???

At scoring goals, yes.

Detroit puts more than just goals and points on it's number 1 and 2.

#12 Jaymz99

Jaymz99

Black Ace

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (thegreat66 @ June 5, 2009 - 02:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When Zetterberg was 20, and he had a pubestache, oh wait, he didn't, but anyway, he was a phenom all on his own. Then he learned to share the puck, play defense, and avoided the ****** devils temptation to go on to be the future captain of one of, if not the best, team the NHL has ever seen. You are honestly comparing two 20 year old kids to experienced, Stanley Cup winning greats. I think not. But, please, do go on. I need more fertilizer. tongue.gif
All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. ~Gordie Howe

#13 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

AT HOCKEY: Z + Dats > Malkin + Crosby

AT PUTTING UP POINTS: Malkin + Crosby > Z + Dats

but theres a big factoid here that pens fans seem to ignore when wings fans give them reasons for why Datsyuk and Z are better. It's because Dats and Z are in their prime right now (bot almost 30, pav might be 30) and your top two players are in their early twenties...and them being so young and dominant offensively they are not as rock solid defensively as Hank and Dats.

oh and lol at Staal as an elite talent right now...are you serious? I'll admit that Lidstrom has not played up to what we are accustomed to seeing, but I think once the wings start pressuring Gonchar on the point our PK will improve.

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#14 Mikeal

Mikeal

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (thegreat66 @ June 5, 2009 - 01:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Dats and Malkin are just very different players. Dats is better defensively, and one on one, but Malkin is a much better all around offensive player.

#15 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

I gotta agree with the Great 66. I mean, is there anyone here who wouldn't trade Zetterberg and Datsyuk for Crosby and Malkin? The fact that the Wings are more worried about the Pens stars than they are of the Wings stars just shows how quickly Crosby/Malkin have emerged as superstars. The scary part is that they are not even close to their prime yet. If the Pens don't win the Cup this year they will shortly and I think will go on a roll for 2-3 straight.

#16 Yzersyukstromberg

Yzersyukstromberg

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:47 PM

Crosby is in no way, shape or form better than Pavel Datsyuk. And for that matter, he and Zetterberg are almost on an even plane as far as their overall abilities. The fact that you even mention Staal's name in the same breath as the elite players in this series leads me to believe you have no clue what you're talking about.
Any day is a good day when the Red Wings win.....

TIME FOR THE PLAYOFF PUSH...LET'S GO BOYS!!

#17 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

LOL at saying Malkin is far superior to Datsyuk. Datsyuk can put up pretty similar numbers AND play defense (Selke Trophy anyone?) Pens fans sound a little too cocky.

And Staal is elite? He is not better than Dats, Z, Mule, or Hossa (when he's turned on) in my opinion.

#18 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

When datsyuk is healthy our "elite" talent, matches yours.

Posted Image

#19 Zack is Great

Zack is Great

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (Manoir @ June 5, 2009 - 01:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I gotta agree with the Great 66. I mean, is there anyone here who wouldn't trade Zetterberg and Datsyuk for Crosby and Malkin? The fact that the Wings are more worried about the Pens stars than they are of the Wings stars just shows how quickly Crosby/Malkin have emerged as superstars. The scary part is that they are not even close to their prime yet. If the Pens don't win the Cup this year they will shortly and I think will go on a roll for 2-3 straight.

Question. If this team had Malkin and Crosby instead of Zetterberg and Datsyuk, what do you think the outcome of the Anaheim series would be?

#20 thegreat66

thegreat66

Rookie

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:34 PM

I think Irish and many other Wings fans are missing something very important. When you talk about Zetterberg and Dats being older and in their prime I view that as an advantage for Pens. What I'm saying is even though Dats hasn't played compare the difference between Zetterberg and Dats vs Crosby/Malkin last year as opposed to this year. Last year they were head and shoulders above Crosby/Malkin and it showed on ice. This year that gap has shrunk substantially if there is a gap at all. That's a trend that should continue going forward. Let's say we meet again in 2010 for Stanley Cup. Who do you think is going to be the better pair at that point in time a year older? Zet/Dats or Crosby/Malkin?