• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Wing

When Pavel Met Evgeni--The turning point of the series

Rate this topic

Clearly superior? Astounding.

Exactly what game was he watching. Ok you could argue that they played better in parts but "clearly superior"?

Come on. We won the first 2 games by 2 goals each and allowed them to score only 1 in each game.

They won the 3rd by 1 goal plus and empty netter and the 4th by 2 goals.

Clearly superior?

WTF

Drivel. He lost me at "the Pittsburgh Penguins looked to be the clearly superior team over the first four games of the 2009 Stanley Cup finals."

There really isn't a turning point yet as the series isn't over and both teams have held serve.

esteef

I agree a lot of the Pens fans like myself thought the Staal short handed goal in Game 4 was also the turning point of the series and look how that turned out. Like Guerin said the other day the Penguins had all the momentum going into Game 5 as well and look how that turned out. The bottom line is Game 5 while it was a great win for the Red Wings and Im sure is going to give them a huge boost going into game 6 that game is over now and come tomorrow night when the puck drops what Datsyuk did to Malkin in Game 5 wont mean anything...

If Malkin was smart, he would've acted like he'd been shot, like Franzen did Saturday Night. Seriously, I haven't seen a dive like that since Greg Louganis. Great job of selling it, Johan!

I know I speak for hundreds of others here when I say we can't tell you how much we appreciate your sincerity, your integrity, your candor and your outright honest praise of our beloved Red Wings.

Be sure to come back and visit often. We look forward to your direct and most positive posts.

I know one thing should the Pens go onto to win Game 6 tomorrow night I dont want to hear Mike Babcock coming out after the game whining and bitching about his team not getting enough power play calls as the reason why the Wings lose. I didnt hear Babcock saying s*** after the game the other night when the Wings got 9 power plays and scored on 3 of them. He has to expect that tomorrow's game is going to be more closely called and that the Penguins being on home-ice and not getting the majority of the calls in Game 5 are going to get more of the calls in their favor tomorrow night.

If Babcock comes out like he did after game 3 saying they got the one power play in the 3rd and we didnt and that's the reason the Wings lost which is what he pretty much said without saying it since Babcock is very good at doing stuff like that then somebody should tell Babcock yea and you guys got 9 power plays in Game 5 so shut up and quit complaining. You cant have it both ways is all Im saying.

Edited by 87to71

Yeah, and what part of those 9 power plays didn't the Wings earn? The number of calls a team gets in one game is totally independent of the number they get in the next. If the Wings were to totally get jobbed on the calls (which hasn't been an issue with me at all in this series, glaring too many men noncall notwithstanding), I'd except him to be upset.

If it is the hit I remember, the best part wasn't the hit per se, it was that he delivered a strong hit while still remaining in control of his body, and stopping to collect the puck and make a play. He hits with a purpose: sometimes to plaster the guy, sometimes to remove the player from the puck. That is the sort of toughness I like on this team. Toughness with a purpose.

I know one thing should the Pens go onto to win Game 6 tomorrow night I dont want to hear Mike Babcock coming out after the game whining and bitching about his team not getting enough power play calls as the reason why the Wings lose. I didnt hear Babcock saying s*** after the game the other night when the Wings got 9 power plays and scored on 3 of them. He has to expect that tomorrow's game is going to be more closely called and that the Penguins being on home-ice and not getting the majority of the calls in Game 5 are going to get more of the calls in their favor tomorrow night.

If Babcock comes out like he did after game 3 saying they got the one power play in the 3rd and we didnt and that's the reason the Wings lost which is what he pretty much said without saying it since Babcock is very good at doing stuff like that then somebody should tell Babcock yea and you guys got 9 power plays in Game 5 so shut up and quit complaining. You cant have it both ways is all Im saying.

Me thinks you are judging Babcock out of opposing team hatred rather than listening to what he was saying. He wasn't saying the Wings lost because they didn't get any PPs. He admitted that they didn't play their game and Pittsburgh was the better team. He ALWAYS admits things like that. He was really pointing out the inconsistency with the refs.. not blaming the loss on it.

If that's whining and complaining, so be it. But Babcock has got to be WAY at the bottom of the list of NHL coaches when it comes to whining and complaining. In fact, a lot of opposition fans bash him saying that he's SO subtle about it. That's how he's the biggest whiner. He's so good at pretending he's NOT whining.

It just seems stupid to me. Babcock isn't a whiner. Therrien was. Go watch his post-game interviews if you want to see a whiner.

If you actually paid attention or watched hockey at all, you'd find that Babcock doesn't complain to the media, it just doesn't happen. The Wings had 9 power plays because your clown squad couldn't help but commit blatant fouls directly in front of the refs multiple times.

Though they won only two of them, the Pittsburgh Penguins looked to be the clearly superior team over the first four games of the 2009 Stanley Cup finals.

Stopped reading after this.

If you're going to cover a sport, know something about it.

Journalism 101.

Me thinks you are judging Babcock out of opposing team hatred rather than listening to what he was saying. He wasn't saying the Wings lost because they didn't get any PPs. He admitted that they didn't play their game and Pittsburgh was the better team. He ALWAYS admits things like that. He was really pointing out the inconsistency with the refs.. not blaming the loss on it.

If that's whining and complaining, so be it. But Babcock has got to be WAY at the bottom of the list of NHL coaches when it comes to whining and complaining. In fact, a lot of opposition fans bash him saying that he's SO subtle about it. That's how he's the biggest whiner. He's so good at pretending he's NOT whining.

It just seems stupid to me. Babcock isn't a whiner. Therrien was. Go watch his post-game interviews if you want to see a whiner.

He also mentioned that the Wings could have probably had 4 power plays in the 3rd period that they didnt call. I agree with you he is very good at bitching and whining without making it real noticable. I guess if you're an opposing teams fan I guess you see that more then a Wings fan would which is understandable. And I do agree with you that Therrien was a whiner and a complainer 100 percent I couldnt stand the guy...

He also mentioned that the Wings could have probably had 4 power plays in the 3rd period that they didnt call. I agree with you he is very good at bitching and whining without making it real noticable. I guess if you're an opposing teams fan I guess you see that more then a Wings fan would which is understandable. And I do agree with you that Therrien was a whiner and a complainer 100 percent I couldnt stand the guy...

I'm not sure he mentioned the missed power plays to say that that's why the Wings lost. I think he said it, as I said before, to point out reffing inconsistencies.

I just don't consider Babcock to be a whiner. However, I think part of every SCF coaching strategy is to be a bit controversial in the post and pre-game interviews to try to bend the calls your way.

I don't think ANYBODY liked Therrien. He didn't even try to cover up his rants. He just ranted.

The press after every game always gives Babcock the most loaded questions possible, just begging him to lay into the refs or some cheap play from the Pens with a juicy quote -- I think he does an extremely commendable job of only merely stating the obvious, rising above what the press is pandering for, and calling them out with the Babcock Death Stare.

If you actually paid attention or watched hockey at all, you'd find that Babcock doesn't complain to the media, it just doesn't happen. The Wings had 9 power plays because your clown squad couldn't help but commit blatant fouls directly in front of the refs multiple times.

Like I said Im not worried I expect the calls to even out more in game 6 and there to be a lot more 5 on 5 hockey. The one that irritated me was the one on Kunitz before the end of the 1st period which eventually lead to the Fillpulla goal to start the 2nd. The Penguins pretty much had no chance in that 2nd period because they spent close to half the period on the penalty kill. I know you're not going to beat a great team like the Red Wings when stuff like that is happening. I thought the Pens carried the majority of the play in the first 10-15 minutes of the game and had some golden chances until the Wings killed off that power play and Cleary got the first goal. After that it was all downhill...

Babcock is a genius when it comes to being subtle. He never comes out and says anything remotely controversial, and any reporter that does try to goad him into it gets a hearty (and subtle) "f*** you." But then he goes and says it anyway, in his own understated manner. I find the whole shtick to be brilliant.

The press after every game always gives Babcock the most loaded questions possible, just begging him to lay into the refs or some cheap play from the Pens with a juicy quote -- I think he does an extremely commendable job of only merely stating the obvious, rising above what the press is pandering for, and calling them out with the Babcock Death Stare.

I loved last year when he was asked about the disallowed Homer goal after a game and he was like "I know what you guys are trying to do.. and it's not going to work. It is what it is. I'm not a ref. I saw what you saw. But the decision was made and that's that."

Afterwards, the reporter was like "So you have no response to the disallowed goal?"

And Babcock just started laughing.

Edited by Ms_Hockey

Like I said Im not worried I expect the calls to even out more in game 6 and there to be a lot more 5 on 5 hockey. The one that irritated me was the one on Kunitz before the end of the 1st period which eventually lead to the Fillpulla goal to start the 2nd. The Penguins pretty much had no chance in that 2nd period because they spent close to half the period on the penalty kill. I know you're not going to beat a great team like the Red Wings when stuff like that is happening. I thought the Pens carried the majority of the play in the first 10-15 minutes of the game and had some golden chances until the Wings killed off that power play and Cleary got the first goal. After that it was all downhill...

I agree that call was a 'weak' call -- and feel it was probably a 'makeup call' in that period.

I can't stand makeup calls (one bad or missed call is not corrected with another bad call), but not so much that I would decline them when my team benefits from them.

Just to be clear: as far as NHL coaches go, you're not going to find a guy who "whines" less than Mike Babcock. Maybe Dan, but I'm not too familiar with him. I actually get pissed off at Babs because I think he lets the league and its officials off the hook far too often. But ultimately I recognize the class it takes to be that way. Even when he's "bitching," he's not doing it overtly (which, granted, has a lot to do with the whole fining system).

If any Pens fans think he's bad, you should dig up some of Randy Carlyle's pressers.

Guys: Stop the thread jack and let's talk about the Datsyuk hit. Don't let a troll ruin this thread, make him take his Babcock beef to a thread about Babcock.

Back on topic: The great thing about the hit was that (1) it was hard, (2) it separated Malkin from the puck, and (3) Datsyuk was still in control of his body enough to grab the puck and make a play. Toughness with a purpose.

Guys: Stop the thread jack and let's talk about the Datsyuk hit. Don't let a troll ruin this thread, make him take his Babcock beef to a thread about Babcock.

Back on topic: The great thing about the hit was that (1) it was hard, (2) it separated Malkin from the puck, and (3) Datsyuk was still in control of his body enough to grab the puck and make a play. Toughness with a purpose.

We will see how Datsyuk plays tomorrow night having the extra two days rest. The Penguins are definitely going to come after him a lot more in Game 6 I believe then they did in Game 5. It will be interesting to see how Babcock matchups up Datsyuk with Malkin and Zetterberg with Crosby again...

Hey, as a Pens fan, could you give me your honest opinion about what Talbot did? Datsyuk was effecting the game as evidenced by the article in this thread. I was surprised Babcock was playing him so much in the 3rd. What'd you think about that move?

Hey, as a Pens fan, could you give me your honest opinion about what Talbot did? Datsyuk was effecting the game as evidenced by the article in this thread. I was surprised Babcock was playing him so much in the 3rd. What'd you think about that move?

I think he just wanted Pavel to have some game time after missing so many games.

The whole team was pretty cautious in the third.

It was a dirty hit and the Pens were frustrated as hell at the time it happened. At the same time Datsyuk had to expect the Penguins to target him and his foot at some point during the game. The Pens will be better and more disciplined in Game 6 and game 7 if there is one. They have to be otherwise the Wings are going to end up skating with the Cup once again...

It will be interesting to see how Babcock matchups up Datsyuk with Malkin and Zetterberg with Crosby again...

My feeling is he's going to continue to not chase the match-up. If he just plays Hank and Pavel together for their normal ice time, they're going to see Sid or Malkin or both for plenty of shifts anyways. If Mike thinks Sid and Malkin are having too much fun out there he's got the option to split Hank and Pavel up and force the Pens into playing their stars against the Wings' for most of the game.

My feeling is he's going to continue to not chase the match-up. If he just plays Hank and Pavel together for their normal ice time, they're going to see Sid or Malkin or both for plenty of shifts anyways. If Mike thinks Sid and Malkin are having too much fun out there he's got the option to split Hank and Pavel up and force the Pens into playing their stars against the Wings' for most of the game.

I don't think he should change anything. With how awesome our top line has been, and how bad their defensemen are, I think we could play much of the game in their end.

It was a dirty hit and the Pens were frustrated as hell at the time it happened. At the same time Datsyuk had to expect the Penguins to target him and his foot at some point during the game. The Pens will be better and more disciplined in Game 6 and game 7 if there is one. They have to be otherwise the Wings are going to end up skating with the Cup once again...

He should expect his foot to be targeted? Honestly, I figured a lot of shots and passes would be bouncing off of Pavel's feet by the basket load 'cause at least you can say you didn't mean it. I didn't think they were THAT dumb...but I guess they are. Talbot's actions were clearly trying re-injure Pav's foot. It's the lowlife kind of thing Gary Roberts tried on Franzen last time around.

It's no way to try to win and it just backfires on you. If you're unsuccessful, you just piss the other team off and look like the s***head you are and if you are successful, the other team will take your star's head off next. It shows that Talbot knows they have no chance in Hell to beat the Wings fairly.