335 replies to this topic

#241 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (Mtl-PenFan @ June 15, 2009 - 11:24AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All I know is that Draper should have used the memories of 4 Cup wins to stick around on the ice for another 30 seconds instead of being a, yeah you guessed it, a whiner.

He probably did use the memories.

He probably knew that the opponents were pissed and wanted to pay his respects before they angrily got off the ice knowing that he had all night and all summer to celebrate with his teammates.

#242 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (CROZ87 @ June 15, 2009 - 11:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know I'm not going to change anyone's opinoin on Sid, whether good or bad, but I get the good fortune to watch him every single game. And I get the good fortune of seeing his charity work around the city of Pgh, the endless hours of interviews, and promotions, etc, etc. He is a great player and a great leader IMO. He is also a great member of the Pgh community.

People who don't get to see him all the time seem to focus just on his negatives. And it paints a very bad picture. Does he dive and look at the refs? yes. But he has cut it to a level that I think isn't worth talking about anymore. His rookie year tarnished him, but I think he has grown up a ton, and he still has a ton to do. But for his age, and the pressure put on him to not only lead the Pens, but to be a face of the NHL, I think very few people his age could do what he has done.

I also saw a picture of the whole Babcock thing. He talked to him before, and Babcock threw in the leadership thing as they were parting, but that is the only thing the camera caught. It wasn't as bad as it looked.

As for missing half the Red Wings, you get caught up in the moment. He didn't do it intentionally.

Like I said, I'm not going to change anyone's opinions, but as a Pens fan, and someone who gets to watch him all the time, and see what he does around the community, he is a great young man, and a great role model.

In terms of doing things around the community, it's a great thing, but that doesn't make him any more special than any other superstar in the league. Every star does work in the community. It's an unspoken rule that they're supposed to. It's just that some get more publicity over others.

I don't believe in the diving and whining criticism for Sid. I have many, but that's not one of them. He's the captain. He's supposed to whine. Many Wings fans here refuse to admit it but Yzerman whined as much as any superstar in the league. It just looks worse for Sid because he has a whiny type of face that looks really ugly when he whines. I'm not criticizing, I'm just stating observations. Blame God for that.

IMO, the only thing that makes Sid appear more special than others is his age and the human obsession of youth over wisdom. For his age, he's right where he should be in terms of maturity. However, like it or not, if you want his kind of fame and publicity, then you better be able to accept the consequences of it. I'd say he's doing an ok job so far. There are much better examples such as Jonathan Toews.

#243 Mtl-PenFan

Mtl-PenFan

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (titanium2 @ June 15, 2009 - 11:29AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He probably did use the memories.

He probably knew that the opponents were pissed and wanted to pay his respects before they angrily got off the ice knowing that he had all night and all summer to celebrate with his teammates.

Watch the NBC video and you see Crosby skating towards the line but stops to be a CAPTAIN and congratulate and celebrate with the taxi squad.

Shame on him rolleyes.gif
http://www.letsgowin...?act=boardrules

Signatures are limited to ONE jpg/gif image no larger than 400x100 pixels. Images that are larger than this will be removed by the moderating staff without warning.

#244 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Mtl-PenFan @ June 15, 2009 - 11:46AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Watch the NBC video and you see Crosby skating towards the line but stops to be a CAPTAIN and congratulate and celebrate with the taxi squad.

I'm not sure if you've really added anything new that would require something that I haven't already said.

Sure, I guess, but a bigger part of being captain is to pay respects to your opponent. I'm sure at this point that you're thinking "well, Draper didn't do it either," but the thing is, he waited as long as any loser in the past was willing to wait. You can choose not to shake hands, but there are consequences to that. There's a reason why he doesn't get that much personal respect from other players in the league. I guess that hasn't changed.

I did find it odd that he appeared to be the only player in a uniform around a bunch of suits while his teammates were well in line. You say being a captain, I say, buying time so he can choose to act immature. He just loves publicity and drama. You get more press when you act immature.

#245 DZ13

DZ13

All You Need Is Glove

• 40 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

Anyone in favor of Crosby is going to agree with his actions. You're not going to convince them otherwise. Oppinions are oppinions, and although I don't like what Crosby "did," you know damn well he really doesn't care at this point.

11-Time Stanley Cup Champions

#246 TLinsday09

TLinsday09

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (Mtl-PenFan @ June 15, 2009 - 11:46AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's about respect. Respect for the game, the history, and the cup. Your "captain" proved his critics right with his response to Draper anyways.

Enjoy the summer...and we'll expect the cup returned to us in the same condiction in which you got it.
The Marines have landed and the situation is well in hand.

#247 Coolio Mendez

Coolio Mendez

Beware of the Franzensteiner!

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:42 AM

You're the winning team's captain...you go out of your way to do right. I don't care about the circumstances...as my old man used to tell me, you're only responsible for your behaviour. Be the bigger (and better) man. Your celebrations can wait 30-60 seconds. Doing the right thing at the right time...can't.

He was flat-out wrong, and multiple wrongs don't make it right. He can't control what they do...he can control what he does and he should have done right even if it was behind closed doors. You extend your hand and thank your opponent. If he walks away or refuses it, then as they say, that's all you need to know about your opponent.

TeeMan is Da Man!

#248 TLinsday09

TLinsday09

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (Coolio Mendez @ June 15, 2009 - 12:42PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're the winning team's captain...you go out of your way to do right. I don't care about the circumstances...as my old man used to tell me, you're only responsible for your behaviour. Be the bigger (and better) man. Your celebrations can wait 30-60 seconds. Doing the right thing at the right time...can't.

He was flat-out wrong, and multiple wrongs don't make it right. He can't control what they do...he can control what he does and he should have done right even if it was behind closed doors. You extend your hand and thank your opponent. If he walks away or refuses it, then as they say, that's all you need to know about your opponent.

Agreed. It's not like anyone was watching Crosby's every move or that he had anything to prove about his perceived maturity level.. rolleyes.gif

Honestly, Crosby had a chance to prove a lot of his critics wrong by showing a level of character that he apparently didn't possess.

I guess that's why Crosby handed the cup off to the actual captain of the team.

#249 reggiedunlop

reggiedunlop

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:27 PM

the obsession with mr crosby around here borders on insanity
Gloves off, stick down, no warning, he challenged the Pens!

#250 TLinsday09

TLinsday09

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (reggiedunlop @ June 15, 2009 - 01:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the obsession with mr crosby around here borders on insanity

You have Mr. Bettman to thank for that.

#251 CROZ87

CROZ87

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (DZ13 @ June 15, 2009 - 12:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone in favor of Crosby is going to agree with his actions. You're not going to convince them otherwise. Oppinions are oppinions, and although I don't like what Crosby "did," you know damn well he really doesn't care at this point.

Agreed, and the same holds true the other way. Anyone who hates him will view his actions differently to help build their hate.

That is why I said I'm not going to try to change anyones opinions here, because they are locked.

But to me, Crosby is a great person, a great player, and a great leader.

#252 DZ13

DZ13

All You Need Is Glove

• 40 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (TLinsday09 @ June 15, 2009 - 12:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have Mr. Bettman to thank for that.

Exactly. Like, I, and others have said countless times. Crosby would have more respect around here, and around the league, if he wasn't forced down our throats - long before he accomplished anything at all.

#253 reggiedunlop

reggiedunlop

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:39 PM

dont hate the player, hate the game. yes he is over exposed (not entirely his fault)..... but if you have ever heard him interviewed, you would know he is nothing but class.

#254 DZ13

DZ13

All You Need Is Glove

• 40 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (reggiedunlop @ June 15, 2009 - 12:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dont hate the player, hate the game. yes he is over exposed (not entirely his fault)..... but if you have ever heard him interviewed, you would know he is nothing but class.

I'm not saying hes entirley classeless, but anyone can look classy when the camera and mic's are on. Bettman wants him to be the face of the NHL.

#255 reggiedunlop

reggiedunlop

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (DZ13 @ June 15, 2009 - 01:42PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not saying hes entirley classeless, but anyone can look classy when the camera and mic's are on. Bettman wants him to be the face of the NHL.

ok, so put on your marketing hat. who would you pick to be the league poster child?

#256 DZ13

DZ13

All You Need Is Glove

• 40 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (reggiedunlop @ June 15, 2009 - 12:45PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok, so put on your marketing hat. who would you pick to be the league poster child?

Ovechkin.

#257 reggiedunlop

reggiedunlop

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (DZ13 @ June 15, 2009 - 01:52PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ovechkin.

you cannot pick a european, that does not speak perfect english and looks like he got hit by a train to be the face to market the NHL in NORTH AMERICA. OV is a phenomenal player, but not a marketable personality.

#258 DZ13

DZ13

All You Need Is Glove

• 40 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (reggiedunlop @ June 15, 2009 - 12:55PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you cannot pick a european, that does not speak perfect english and looks like he got hit by a train to be the face to market the NHL in NORTH AMERICA. OV is a phenomenal player, but not a marketable personality.

Well you told me to put on my marketing hat. Bettman wants the NHL to be exciting, excitment draws fans. That "you never know what hes going to do next" playing style is marketable. Younger fans see him falling on his back and knees, and still putting the puck in the back of the net? Dont you think that impresses them?

Okay, so the English, and not so pretty face..

Why not Patrick Kane? Do I think hes better then Crosby? No, but I think hes just as marketable. Young star, original six team. Better years are head of him, and hes already made a WCF appearence.

#259 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,698 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (reggiedunlop @ June 15, 2009 - 12:45PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why, Nick Lidstrom, of course!

Seriously, Sid is in a nasty position. He can't fart without people analyzing what he might have eaten to produce it. He has held up quite well, especially for one so young. I'd be wishing for my life back. I don't deny his talent, nor his abilities.

I have to ask why the league needs a poster child. Why not showcase young, up-and-coming talent alongside veterans who have earned their status?

Back to the topic: When Lidstrom won the Cup for the first time as Captain, he had already won other Cups as an alternate, as well as being a Conn Smythe winner. He was probably more aware of what to expect, and how things went on the ice as far as emotions and overcoming circumstance in favour of protocol. If Sid wins again, I am sure he will make a concentrated effort to be leading the handshake line.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#260 reggiedunlop

reggiedunlop

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (DZ13 @ June 15, 2009 - 01:58PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well you told me to put on my marketing hat. Bettman wants the NHL to be exciting, excitment draws fans. That "you never know what hes going to do next" playing style is marketable. Younger fans see him falling on his back and knees, and still putting the puck in the back of the net? Dont you think that impresses them?

Okay, so the English, and not so pretty face..

Why not Patrick Kane? Do I think hes better then Crosby? No, but I think hes just as marketable. Young star, original six team. Better years are head of him, and hes already made a WCF appearence.

Kane would be great........ should be more than one person to begin with. dont get me wrong, i love crosby being on my team as a player, but i totally understand people getting sick of seeing him. but you cant have a brain in your head (not talking about you) if you come on this or any other board and say that he sucks as a player.