• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

What do you think wings will pick with their 29th overall?

Rate this topic

after some research about the current draft I think Toni Rajala would be excellent option at 29th.

No need to waste a 1st rounder on rajala, he wont go probably until the 3rd round sometime. See my post above for the reasons why...

Rajala is weak in terms of strength to the point where its suprising. I'm 5'8.5" and about 15 pounds heavier, and i can bench 150 pounds 15 times in one sitting, and usually do around 3 sets of 12 reps. All he could do is 4 reps in one sitting, or maybe not even:

http://thehockeywriters.com/29-toni-rajala...draft-rankings/

Thats not good, I'm not bad with the weights, but I dont work out that much and I'm no nhl athlete.

I read somewhere his doctor did some test and checked his potential bone growth, and he should be just under 5'11", which isnt too bad. Lets hope his physical strenght is just the case of him being more of a boy at this point and he matures a lot.

Your results certainly aren't bad at all- that's a good bench for three sets of 12 reps at your size.

But Rajala's results?!?

:scared: Ok, that's not very good if you're applying for the job of "pro athlete". That's like showing up for a job as a stripper only to fail the "attractive and under 400lbs" test.

Rajala is weak in terms of strength to the point where its suprising. I'm 5'8.5" and about 15 pounds heavier, and i can bench 150 pounds 15 times in one sitting, and usually do around 3 sets of 12 reps. All he could do is 4 reps in one sitting, or maybe not even:

http://thehockeywriters.com/29-toni-rajala...draft-rankings/

Thats not good, I'm not bad with the weights, but I dont work out that much and I'm no nhl athlete.

I read somewhere his doctor did some test and checked his potential bone growth, and he should be just under 5'11", which isnt too bad. Lets hope his physical strenght is just the case of him being more of a boy at this point and he matures a lot.

Thanks for that link. When reading it I did see this:

Rajala must have scouts revelling, but perplexed at the same time after his performance at the WJC-U18s in North Dakota. Not only was he named the tournament’s top forward, but he broke Ovy8’s record for points with 19 in one fewer game (6 games)! Projecting how he will progress physically and how that will translate to the next level is the challenge of NHL scouts.

That's sick man.

That's sick man.

He is highly skilled, why not risk a pick after round two? Ive seen his highlights and read lots on him he is the s***, and he will be close to 5'11, that Stevie Y and Sakic size so......hopefully hes still a boy that will turn into a man.

Yeah that site isnt bad is it?!

He is highly skilled, why not risk a pick after round two? Ive seen his highlights and read lots on him he is the s***, and he will be close to 5'11, that Stevie Y and Sakic size so......hopefully hes still a boy that will turn into a man.

Yeah that site isnt bad is it?!

I would be glad if we can take him in round 2 or 3. I was really impressed when he literally skated circles around Canada's defense at U18. Not many players can do that... I just have a kind of feeling that we can't do wrong drafting him. I see Zetterberg potential in him at best. Of course, he needs a lot of time to develop...

I'm hoping that regardless of whether it's a dman or forward we get a right hander. A lot of the lower 10 first round projected players are righties. :)

The Wings have so few right handers in the system it's scary.

I like this. Too bad they won't be on the team next year though. I'm thankful the Wings have had Sammy at the point and I do agree with Babs' L-R approach but I've been craving for something better. If only the Wings could somehow steal Anton Stralman from Toronto who projects to be like Kronwall except right handed. Oh well.

Edited by titanium2

Well considering the Wings took a goalie last season in Thomas McCollum and a defenseman the draft before in Brendan Smith. I'd like to see the Wings pick up a forward. I print all the picks ones all the rounds are over and the draft is complete, I'll see if I can find them from the previous 2 or 3 drafts and see if I'd take a differnt rout. But for right now I'd say get a solid and skillful forward. Don't forget if we trade Huds or Filps we could get some other draft picks and maybe move up higher in the 1st round and get two players in the 1st round. I think if the Wings get more picks they will most likely get pics for later rounds in the draft.

So apparently, judging from this thread, the consensus is that the Wings shuold just draft someone. It seems everyone has mentioned a different player.

Drafts are always nauseating to me. Everyone tries to pick who will be the next Great One and they're almost always wrong. Someone made a joke earlier about the top 10 usually being crappy players, and there's truth to that. I'd argue mots of the NHL's true talent has come later in the draft.

So apparently, judging from this thread, the consensus is that the Wings should just draft someone. It seems everyone has mentioned a different player.

Drafts are always nauseating to me. Everyone tries to pick who will be the next Great One and they're almost always wrong. Someone made a joke earlier about the top 10 usually being crappy players, and there's truth to that. I'd argue mots of the NHL's true talent has come later in the draft.

The age of these kids makes it a crapshoot in most cases. The NHL drafts globally and that makes it difficult for the average fan to assess talent. The league and press also do a horrible job of showcasing future talent.

I'm sticking with the hopes of the best available RW'er at #29 or best available D-man if they move into the top 20 somehow.

Edited by Glubki

The age of these kids makes it a crapshoot in most cases. The NHL drafts globally and that makes it difficult for the average fan to assess talent. The league and press also do a horrible job of showcasing future talent.

I'm sticking with the hopes of the best available RW'er at #29 or best available D-man if they move into the top 20 somehow.

Yeah, it's hard to sift through the hype. Even on our own team, with Helm. He certainly LOOKS like he has potential to be a first or second liner, but there are so many intangibles it's probably more likely he remains a solid grinder, which would disappoint a lot of people.

I'm glad I'm not a scout, I'd never make up my mind.

*article quote*

That's sick man.

The Red Wings organization is better equipped than any other team to pick this kid up based on his weaknesses. We have many small "soft" europeans on this team that have had the label "too small" on their CV prior to our drafting them and look how they've turned out (granted this kid will certainly take the cake). Datsyuk and Zetterberg are impossible to strip off the puck and know how to take a hit. Hell Datsyuk looks like a bash brother out there half the time. Filppulla is making big strides and looks a lot stronger on the puck than a couple years ago. Even Leino has shown potential, even though he still needs to adjust to the nhl.

But most significant is the fact that the Wings take their time with their prospects. He'll be exposed to a strict workout regime while simultaneously being thrown into a bigger, more physical league. At that point the only question is how much he wants to play (see: Grigorenko vs Leino) Imagine what sort of monster some of these NHL stars would be if he had 2-3 years in the AHL to develop, instead of being thrown in to the fire immediately? If this kid is breaking Ovechkin's records, someone needs to take a good look at this kid and see what the organization can do to balance out the weaknesses.

I like this. Too bad they won't be on the team next year though. I'm thankful the Wings have had Sammy at the point and I do agree with Babs' L-R approach but I've been craving for something better. If only the Wings could somehow steal Anton Stralman from Toronto who projects to be like Kronwall except right handed. Oh well.

Perhaps they could do something like this:

To Detroit: Anton Stralman (conditional on Hossa signing with the Leafs), 2nd Rounder

To Toronto: Rights to Marian Hossa, Lebda, Meech.

Adding the conditional part to Stralman is the only way a deal like that could work, but at worst the Wings would get a high second for Lebda and Meech, which is more than they'd get without it being part of a deal like this.

If Burke is confident he can sign Hossa I'm sure a deal like this could go down.

Yeah, it's hard to sift through the hype. Even on our own team, with Helm. He certainly LOOKS like he has potential to be a first or second liner, but there are so many intangibles it's probably more likely he remains a solid grinder, which would disappoint a lot of people.

I'm glad I'm not a scout, I'd never make up my mind.

Does he? His hands don't look like it. Helm is kind of alike a non-one-dimensional Lebda. His speed is the reason why he scores, not his hands. That can only take you so far.

If Draper in his prime wasn't a top six I don't see Helm being one.

All that being said- Helm isn't here to be a top six! He's here to hit everything that moves, win faceoffs, play solid defensive hockey and provide energy. Helm projects as a 3rd line centre with shutdown skill and high-end energy/checking ability. That's great because that's exactly what the Wings need right now- a long term replacement for Draper.

Seriously though....

Pick #29: Tomas Tatar

Pick #58: Toni Rajala

I honestly think that no matter what general consensus there is about how late rajala will be drafted but if hes there with our second rd pick we need to take him. I mean both of these kid's favorite team is the Wings and Rajala's favorite player is Z.

Guest mindfly
Seriously though....

Pick #29: Tomas Tatar

Pick #58: Toni Rajala

I honestly think that no matter what general consensus there is about how late rajala will be drafted but if hes there with our second rd pick we need to take him. I mean both of these kid's favorite team is the Wings and Rajala's favorite player is Z.

Wings need SIZE.... enough with the small but skilled euros.

Edited by mindfly

our 1st& 2nd picks, sign and trade Jiri Hudler, include Niklas Kronwall to Tampa for their #2 and select Victor Hedman. (that is IF the Isles are set on Tavares, which it looks like they are.)

Hedman would step in right away into Kronwalls spot and if Lilja is back, all of a sudden we have quite possibly the biggst D in the West, if not the NHL! (definately the most Swedish in the NHL!)

Lids - Rafi

Ericsson - Stuart

Lilja - Hedman

Lebda

I would do what it takes to get that pick (short of trading Dats, Z, Abdelkader or Helm.)Of course, since they have NTC's I won't mention getting rid of Rafi or Stuart, besides I think they are too important to this team.

Edited by LeftWinger

Detroit HAS to get that #1 pick! As long as we are talking about these guys favorite players and teams, Hedmans favorite are Detroit and Lidstrom. Surely if could land that #1 overall from the Isle, he wouldbe happier than pigs in slop to play with Nick.

Oh, oh what would it take? our 1st and 2nd, rights to Hudler, Kronwall, and what else? Kindl? Howard? Smith, Emmerton, Andersson? Shoot, like I said, we have to offer any and all (short of Z, Dats, Ab's & Helm) that could land us Hedman! PLease oh please hockey gods! Let this little light shine on us!

Maybe, Vic could pull an Eric Lindros and say I will not play on the Isle, trade me to Detroit! Seriously though, we have to get this guy! I almost (ALMOST) wish we had blown the season just to get the #1 overall pick!

I wonder in Kenny has inquired, or even if New York or Tampa is willing to part with their pick?

Detroit HAS to get that #1 pick! As long as we are talking about these guys favorite players and teams, Hedmans favorite are Detroit and Lidstrom. Surely if could land that #1 overall from the Isle, he wouldbe happier than pigs in slop to play with Nick.

Oh, oh what would it take? our 1st and 2nd, rights to Hudler, Kronwall, and what else? Kindl? Howard? Smith, Emmerton, Andersson? Shoot, like I said, we have to offer any and all (short of Z, Dats, Ab's & Helm) that could land us Hedman! PLease oh please hockey gods! Let this little light shine on us!

Maybe, Vic could pull an Eric Lindros and say I will not play on the Isle, trade me to Detroit! Seriously though, we have to get this guy! I almost (ALMOST) wish we had blown the season just to get the #1 overall pick!

I wonder in Kenny has inquired, or even if New York or Tampa is willing to part with their pick?

Never going to happen.