• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Holland "Not Optimistic" about re-signing Hossa

Rate this topic

Let him have a payday somewhere else this year or for another couple. In a few years if we have room enough for him and he wants to come back I would be happy to see him wear the winged wheel again. Right now it just isn't feasible though. We would have to work our roster around him to some extent, and I don't believe it is worth doing that for him, or almost any single player.

Sammy must go!!!! He is not worth 1.2 million let alone more, and as for him on our second line...I'd rather cheer for the leafs ( and I ******* hate the leafs) if we resign some one it should be huds, for what Sammy is wanting we could do much better, Lasoe is getting 875000 for god sakes! And we need more speed to fly around with flip and helmmer out there, we looked damn good coming through the neutral zone at 75!!

Easy cowboy, I only listed the roster, you can do the lines how you want.

re-sig Huds? :blink: WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND, WE ONLY HAVE $1.5Million to play with!!!! Huds made $1.1 last season, he is not worth taking up the rest of our cap! LET IT GO!!! Bye Bye Huds!

Ok, is LaRose is only making $875,000, then offer him the $1M to $1.5M. I am fine with that. I think all of our UFA's should walk, and Hudler. Just re-sig Leino for around $950,000 and spend the $1.5 on new blood...

...on my roster listing (the one where you thought I was making line combos in stone) replace Sammy with Larose, I'll take it...

I almost feel as if the Detroit and Hossa marriage ended with Franzen's contract extension. -_-

Agreed

ANother thing for sure, Holland isn't going to get handcuffed by Hossa (like Pitts did.) If he cannot re-sig before July 1, he will trade his rights for something (lots of draft picks!) Hell, trade the rights to Edmonton or the Islanders, we'll get some high draft picks!

If anything, Hossa was just doing too much work. He was pressing too much and working the plays too hard especially as time went on. Hossa was still very important to our success in our own end and for being snakepit, his numbers aren't as awful as people make them out to be. 15 points isn't exactly disappearing.

And again, if Hossa's unreliable in the playoffs, so is Datsyuk.

I acknowledge that Hossa had a great playoff with the Pens. It's just that at this point that looks more like a statistical outlier in comparison to his whole career.

As far as Datsyuk goes, I do agree. I think he should be a permanent fixture on Z's left wing. He's not a determination guy like Z. He has more of a Lidstrom demeanor. Maybe that's why those two played so well together in 08.

Again, it's hard to compare the two. Fil has been in the league for only so many years while Hossa is supposed to be a seasoned veteran. Maybe you're right in that I'm just dismissing some flaws in his game but Fil had his own expectations and he met if not exceeded them. Some may say that Hossa met expectations but I won't. The guys said that "you can contribute in other ways than scoring" and that's okay for a game to game basis for guys like Fil. Not so much for Hossa.

Different perceptions I guess. You saw a guy who pressed too much. I saw a guy who took hard earned loose pucks from Pav and wasted them as he fired low percentage shots from the perimeter that ended up hitting the boards or glass anyways. You saw a guy who contributed as much as anybody in the defensive end and I agree, it's just that every member of the Wings top-6 is supposed to have that kind of defensive impact but Hossa was expected to score goals. You saw a guy who worked really hard and I saw a guy who worked as hard as anybody on the team but didn't work smart enough and only had a significant impact on what, 3 games? It's a tough standard, I know, but to whom much is given (7.45), much is expected. Don't like it? Too bad. Maybe LA is a better environment for him where the standards aren't so high.

Agreed

ANother thing for sure, Holland isn't going to get handcuffed by Hossa (like Pitts did.) If he cannot re-sig before July 1, he will trade his rights for something (lots of draft picks!) Hell, trade the rights to Edmonton or the Islanders, we'll get some high draft picks!

Yeah, he'll get something for them. Nothing wrong with getting some picks outta nothing basically.

I feel the same way. I'd rather have Hossa at 5.5 mil than franzen at 3.9.

Well, let's hope Franzen keeps playing the way he has!

Whats funny is, if Hossa had the exact same playoff, but the Wings WON the Cup, nobody would be saying he sucked in the playoffs. They'd all be praising him for his game four (pivitol game 4) two goals each round (sans the finals.) They would all be commenting on how despite scoring he outscored Cindy in the finals an was a huge distraction to the opposition allowing our 3rd and 4th liners to dominate the series. He had a good playoff. Did he score 29 points? No, but he didn't score 5 points either. He was a force out there, who, depsite falling short of dominating, had to e watched with 2 sets of eyes all playoff long. He was +5, so that is good, he had 100 shots on goal (to lead ALL players on Detroit this playoff) which is 24 more than last year, so it's not like he wasn't trying. The Wings have even scoring, they don't have one or two dominate players.

Bottom line - if Hossa won't sign the Franzen deal, it's time to say good-bye. He's a great player, but he's not any different than anyone of our other players.

If you want to play here and win, you'll take less. If you want the big payday, then hello Nashville, Columbus, Florida ... whatever.

He's worth $6 million, but we cannot afford it. Ultimately it's all what he wants, the big cash VS the great career in Motown.

What, you mean Hossa isn't going to take a huge paycut to stay with the team? He doesn't want to spend the rest of his career in Detroit? Hes not happy here? HOW CAN THIS BE. Where are all the folks that "guaranteed" Hossa would re-sign with the Wings in the off-season?

I couldn't be happier that hes going. The last thing I want is to see a pack of superstar forwards get complacent with lifetime contracts and decide they can't give it their all anymore despite having years left in them - it happens to the best of them.

And no, he was never a great fit with this team.

re-sig Huds? :blink:WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND, WE ONLY HAVE $1.5Million to play with!!!! Huds made $1.1 last season, he is not worth taking up the rest of our cap! LET IT GO!!! Bye Bye Huds!

Ok, is LaRose is only making $875,000, then offer him the $1M to $1.5M. I am fine with that. I think all of our UFA's should walk, and Hudler. Just re-sig Leino for around $950,000 and spend the $1.5 on new blood...

...on my roster listing (the one where you thought I was making line combos in stone) replace Sammy with Larose, I'll take it...

People probably don't understand that we only have 1.5 million to play with.....because we have 4 million to play with.

re-sig Huds? :blink: WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND, WE ONLY HAVE $1.5Million to play with!!!! Huds made $1.1 last season, he is not worth taking up the rest of our cap! LET IT GO!!! Bye Bye Huds!

What is your weird obsession with not liking Hudler more than other people?

What, you mean Hossa isn't going to take a huge paycut to stay with the team? He doesn't want to spend the rest of his career in Detroit? Hes not happy here? HOW CAN THIS BE. Where are all the folks that "guaranteed" Hossa would re-sign with the Wings in the off-season?

I couldn't be happier that hes going. The last thing I want is to see a pack of superstar forwards get complacent with lifetime contracts and decide they can't give it their all anymore despite having years left in them - it happens to the best of them.

And no, he was never a great fit with this team.

It is much easier to play armchair quarterback after the fact and after everything is over with.

It's a shame, but it was always implausible at best. With that said, it was great to have Hoss in a Wings uniform, even if only for such a short term. For one, it's going to be tough having to play against him, assuming he's situated elsewhere next season.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090628/SPOR...rian+Hossa+deal

Red Wings GM Ken Holland tries to work on Marian Hossa deal

BY GEORGE SIPPLE FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER June 28, 2009

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said he sat and talked with Ritch Winter, the agent for Marian Hossa, in the lower bowl of the Bell Centre stands in Montreal on Saturday and remains hopeful the two sides can work out a long-term contract.

"We've got a limited amount of cap space to play with or determine how we're going to spend it," Holland said. "Obviously for us to bring Marian back, we're going to have to let people go.

"I've sat with Ritch here and told him to what cap level we're prepared to go. The only way we can make it work is to offer a long-term deal. I would say to you they were hoping to do better. At the same time, they understand the challenges we've got and understand that probably in order to be where they want to be we can't get there."

To sign Hossa, the Wings likely need to have a cap number of about $4 million per season. Anything more and they'd have to get rid of more players.

Edited by gcom007

People probably don't understand that we only have 1.5 million to play with.....because we have 4 million to play with.

Not really/ They have 3.3 million under cap to sign 3 forwards. You figure Leino gets about 900k and they sign a 500k vetran so they have about 1.9 million, could trade meech or lebda so have between 2.4-2.7 million to play with, but you want 200k under cap to call up people with short term injuries, so they have at MOST 2.2-2.5 million to spend on one player...IF they trade Meech or Lebda...witholut that trade they have 1.7 to sign one forward.

If Hossa leaves, the Red Wings have to keep Hudler. Unless Leino comes in during training camp and earns top six minutes, we have no other forward to fill Hossa's spot on the second line without retaining Hudler. I want Hudler back regardless but it becomes even more crucial if Hossa signs elsewhere.

Datsyuk - Z - Cleary

Franzen - Filppula - ? (Hudler)

Edited by GoWings1905

i dont understand why everyone is bashing hossa? Am i the only one who thinks we wouldnt have even been in the cup without him? Granted he only scored 4 times...he was a force out there? He went thru everyone...he just couldnt find the back of the net. Hossa is a world class player and losing him isn't a good thing.

i dont understand why everyone is bashing hossa? Am i the only one who thinks we wouldnt have even been in the cup without him? Granted he only scored 4 times...he was a force out there? He went thru everyone...he just couldnt find the back of the net. Hossa is a world class player and losing him isn't a good thing.

:thumbup:

Fickle people who's understanding of hockey doesn't extend past numbers on a score sheet or emotional bias are the one's doing the bashing.

I'm not going to believe anything until I see it for myself but if this is true, that really gives us some huge cap space to resign Hudler, Filppula and some other players and maybe even go after a semi big name free agent. If this is true I'm disgusted with Hossa and his Agent. I know an agent is supposed to get the most for his player that he can but if Hossa wants to stay in Detroit as bad as he has said all season long and to let a deal like this fall through just because of $2 Million more than I say shame on you Hossa and good riddons.

Now that being said I'm not going to start thinking about where he may go until I know for sure he is not going to be resigned by the Detroit Red Wings. I hope the Wings can work something out but if not I hope the Wings can make the right decisions on continuing to build a great hockey team.

until he signs somewhere else i won't stop thinking he will be a wing both sides are posturing

:thumbup:

Fickle people who's understanding of hockey doesn't extend past numbers on a score sheet or emotional bias are the one's doing the bashing.

Yeah we are so naive, expecting a skilled player to put up points when it counts most. Everyone knows that real legends only produce in the regular season.

Yeah we are so naive, expecting a skilled player to put up points when it counts most. Everyone knows that real legends only produce in the regular season.

So should we get rid of Dasyuk too?

And how many points did Hossa have in the playoffs in 2008?

"Good news. I will miss Conklin though, wont miss Hossa at all. "

That makes a ton of sense!! You're a real fan i see and are very educated with that insightful hockey knowledge. Thanks.