• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ryan91

Ilya Kovalchuk?

Rate this topic

I think that with our team the way it is today, assuming hudler and sammy stay (not that they make a ton of difference) is still very good, and good enough to contend but not good enough to win a cup next year. Lets face it, we had hossa and didnt win this year, and last year we had an easy run to the finals (nashville, colorado, dallas) look where those 3 ended up this year. With the power balance shifting slowly around us, why dont we make a trade deadline offer to atlanta for Kovalchuk?. Atlanta is far from a contender and one cannot imagine Ilya wanting to re sign in a dead market such as ATL. I know this is far fetched with our financial flexibility, but signing Hossa on July 2nd last summer was as well. With the olympics in February just before the deadline, a sneak peak of Pav and Kovie may entice our GM to pull the trigger. A cold blooded goal scorer like that would love to see his first playoff action, and i guarantee he would put up one goal in the finals, and more than 6 throughout the playoffs. What do you guys think? If trade for him at the deadline, we have the time to work out an extension and next year we have a few contracts coming off the books right?

Also, I hate to say this but it seems that everytime you look at our team, our increasing age becomes more apparent. We obviously do very well still, but i think at 25 this guy can remove all doubts and become a long term investment you will not need to fear. (ie Johan Franzens legs in 10 years)

I would love that to happen but I would rather not trade for Kovalchuk and just sign him July 1 2010 because it's nearly impossible Wings make it to the finals again 3 year in a row. Wings are too tired 2 years in a row. Wings we're out of gas this year but they managed to pull it off. If Wings go out next year 1st round and rest a long time ... Sign kovalchuk ... now we're talking ;).

The Wings will have to re-sign Lidstrom next year, and no he won't get 7.45, probably something in the 4.5-5, range. So no, they won't be able to afford Kovalchuk. Ever.

As far as trades go, let's say Kovalchuk is available for trade (even though he's said he wants to stay in Atlanta), you'd have to assume that whatever the Wings offer for him can be matched and probably beaten by another team.

Edited by Reilly

We'd be giving up alot of depth for someone who may or may not be here long term. And that depth become much appreciated in seasons like this where we are battling the cap.

Realistically, if Lidstrom, Homer, and either Draper and/or Maltby are gone then the Wings might be able to sign him in the offseason next year. Although, with Lidstrom gone, all the Kovalchuks in the world won't help the team's defense one bit.

The Wings will have to re-sign Lidstrom next year, and no he won't get 7.45, probably something in the 4.5-5, range. So no, they won't be able to afford Kovalchuk. Ever.

As far as trades go, let's say Kovalchuk is available for trade (even though he's said he wants to stay in Atlanta), you'd have to assume that whatever the Wings offer for him can be matched and probably beaten by another team.

Lidstrom new one year deal at 5mil

Holmstrom retires

Maltby retires

Draper re-signs at 1mil

We start to get close to signing Kovalchuk.

However we would face cap troubles for what would seem like forever.

Edited by BlakKy

Holmstrom retires

Maltby retires

Draper re-signs at 1mil

I'm pretty sure Lidstrom signs for a lot less than 5million. More like 2.75 - 3 mil.

Holmstrom retires

Maltby retires

Draper re-signs at 1mil

Maltby sure, but why do we want Holmstrom to retire again? I'd like to have him for another 3 years at least.

I'm pretty sure Lidstrom signs for a lot less than 5million. More like 2.75 - 3 mil.

You think if Lidstrom puts up 80 points this year and wins the Norris he'll sign for 3 million?

Edited by Reilly

Lids might be a sport and take 4 million for one year.

We all need to realize that even if he takes 7 million it's worth it... so I don't think we should speculate about our captain's salary too much

And Holmstrom is injury plagued, slower, and not worth his money.. no one misses more assignments than Homer. I think the nicest way to go about the Holmstrom situation is a golden handshake.

I can see Kovalchuk on the wings one way or another in a realistic scenario. Really, I can.

1 question I have is, does he have a NTC in his contract that he would have to waive? If so, I can only see this as a benefit to the Wings chances of getting him before the trade deadline this year.

If not, whether we want to talk about players retiring (Homer, Malts, Lids, Drapes) one thing is for sure, we WILL have flexibility. Now, I do think Lids will come back to play longer. I DO see him taking a pay cut - but I DO NOT see him taking 3 mil a year. You have to understand....even if he was the nicest guy in the world, the guy is used to having a certain standard of living. And when you (and your family) is used to that standard of living, you simply cannot just sacrifice millions of millions of dollars. Even if Lids falls off from Norris contention, he will still be a top defenseman and will likely pull in around a 5mil range.

Also, i'd like to say that I don't know about the logic of the Wings being too tired this coming season because they went so deep twice in a row. If I know my Red Wings (which I do) them coming so close to winning in Game 7 will only put more of a fire up their ass. We won withouth Hossa before - him being gone seems like a downgrade. But remember, much of our team is still intact and thats the reason why Hossa came in the first place.

Hell - so we lost Kopecky? Addition by subtraction

Add in Helm - we just upgraded. I think Leino will be a permanent staple on the roster this year because we'll want extra scoring.

We still have variables like how Howard pans out. Hey, he could pan out to be FANTASTIC and it wouldnt even crack the top 100 suprises in Red Wings history. so come on - lets not come to conclusions yet guys.

Sorry. derailed from my original point. Yes, I can totally see Kovy on the wings some way or another. Im assuming he's sick of losing and would like to taste a championship caliber team for a change. Also - i'm also assuming that he's kept a relationship with Dats one way or another seeing as didnt they play on the same line in Russia or somethin?

Signings like these guys on trade deadlines usually cost a 1st rounder a top prospect already playing and another player, for example see what the penguins gave up for Hossa 2 seasons ago.

Regarding Lidstom I do believe I have read the wings think the captain should be the highest paid player so if true his salary next year should be over what ever what ever #40 is set to make.

and back to the trade deadline, id rather have Rick Nash who is in the same situation, but I think columbus will hang on to him for a playoff run, for a team that is actually trying, loosing Nash at the deadline would do nothing for their fan base or team going forward into the playoffs.

I've never been a fan of rental players... if by some strange shot in hell, we are able to bring him on board and convince him to take a cut to stay long term (along with Nick's money going down) and it doesn't cost us a roster player... yes.

Too many variables though and I couldn't see it working... if it did though, as usual... In Ken Holland we trust.

Maltby sure, but why do we want Holmstrom to retire again? I'd like to have him for another 3 years at least.

Yeah, Holmer did great this year didn't he... Holmstrom's time has come. He'll always be loved by the fans here but he isn't getting the job done anymore. His poor skating becomes more evident every game it seems.

Yeah, Holmer did great this year didn't he... Holmstrom's time has come. He'll always be loved by the fans here but he isn't getting the job done anymore. His poor skating becomes more evident every game it seems.

The style he plays has really caught up with him... I can't see him coming back after 2010-2011... his body is just too beat up...

The style he plays has really caught up with him... I can't see him coming back after 2010-2011... his body is just too beat up...

side note - I thought his contract was through 10-11, I think he will finish his contract because of the type of player he is, he's still a competitor... I just see him definitely hanging them up when his contract is up... so that is actually after this upcoming season

Signings like these guys on trade deadlines usually cost a 1st rounder a top prospect already playing and another player, for example see what the penguins gave up for Hossa 2 seasons ago.

Regarding Lidstom I do believe I have read the wings think the captain should be the highest paid player so if true his salary next year should be over what ever what ever #40 is set to make.

and back to the trade deadline, id rather have Rick Nash who is in the same situation, but I think columbus will hang on to him for a playoff run, for a team that is actually trying, loosing Nash at the deadline would do nothing for their fan base or team going forward into the playoffs.

I agree with all points but the bolded one. The Wings are cash strapped and Lidstrom, although still a god on the blueline, is nearing the last few years of his career. They are not going to give him a raise or pay him more because he is the captain. Stevie wasn't the highest paid player on the Wings in his last season. What you're thinking of is the tactic, and a smart one at that, that the Wings use to pitch to free agents like Hossa last season, that being: You aren't better than Niklas Lidstrom, you aren't getting paid more.

Look for Lidstrom to resign to a one year at a sharp discount, $4-5mil as a gift to the organization. After all, we're dealing with Saint Nick, he'll want to leave with another cup :D.

Edited by b.shanafan14