• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedFX

Martin Havlat Twitter/ Sun-Times Article

Rate this topic

Wow. You really have no clue what Toews and Kane are worth, do you? Being an RFA doesn't mean you get paid whatever the hell the team feels like paying you. If anyone's going to get an offer sheet it's a player like Toews or Kane.

I think Toews will land a long term deal near Datsyuk and Zetterberg's numbers. He's the bread and butter of their team, and I can think of about 20 other teams that would kill to have him.

Kane I don't think will get over 6 million, but should be locked in for 5.5 and Keith, it's hard to predict. Campbell is making 8 million, so Keith should get at least 10 million. Lol - (I kid, I kid). But Keith is a guy I wouldn't mind seeing Holland go after... Probably worth 5.5 million?

That's around 17.4 million just for those three guys right there (at a bargain - long term deal - with home team discounts) and they could demand a bit more.

Hawks are betting on the two following conditions happening this season:

1) Crawford takes over the starting spot.

2) A trade can be found to dump Campbell (and his cap hit) either during or after this coming season

3) A trade can be found to dump Huet (and his cap hit) either during or after this coming season, assuming Crawford took the starting job OR a capable CHEAPER goaltender comes back in return for either Huet or Campbell (or is found as a FA)

That, right there, is the long-term plan.

Snazzy you are so jealous it's not even funnny. First of all Campbell, Byfuglien, Sopel, or Huet will be gone by next summer. Either 1 or maybe even two of them. Secondly, Tallon and both Bowmans addressed that they have enough money and space to resign Kane, Toews, and Keith. They are all RFA's not UFA's. It is pretty much garunteed They will all be Hawks at least this time around. Kane and Toews are due each about 4 to 4.5 million and same for Duncan Keith. Take a look at Pittsburgh everyone siad OHHH NOO WAY DO THEY RESIGN CROSBY, MALKIN, FLUERY AND STAAL, but they did. These guys all want to win and Chicago gives them the best oppurtunity to do that. Not to mention the commercials and endorsements they are getting here will even sweeten the deal. Toews is a life long Hawk we all know this..Duncan Keith and Patrick Kane will be hawks for a long time too. Basically they are RFA's and will be signed long before May or June comes around, so go cry about that or something or keep thinking "THE HAWKS CANT AFFORD ALL THOSE PLAYERS!!!!!" Well Detroit can afford Franzen, Zetterberg, Datsuck, Lidstrom, and Hossa all at once..I think we can do the same much like you and Pittsburgh.

Um, what happens if someone offers Kane a 5 million offer sheet? Same goes with the others. Then who do you keep?

Noone is considering that perhaps Kane/Towes and maybe even Keith were talked to and some ball park figures were already worked out with those guys, something to the effect we have here in D... a chance to have a great shot at the cup every year. Time will tell but it would not suprise me.

And I'm sure every city has a local dentist or optometrist looking for a hockey star to do a commercial for them.

Must... stop... myself... from making... reference to... Dr... Rahmani... Mine eyes... GAH!!!

Yeah, you'll have no problem unloading Campbell's bloated, ridiculous contract. :rolleyes: And it'll be no problem in the year the cap contracts for the first time. Same goes for Huet. You'll probably have to either buy out Huet's contract or pray he has the best year of his career this season.

Or trade him to Montreal for a prospect. Seriously, I don't know how New York got them to take Scott Gomez and his ridiculous contract, and if that contract can be traded, maybe Chicago even ends up trading Campbell to Brian Burke in Toronto.

I would laugh if Chicago couldnt offer one of them much money (Toews or Kane) and Lidstrom retires (god forbid) giving us enough money to throw at one of them. I have no idea what their situation would be or even if they are UFAs or RFAs but it just popped into my head. I would love to see Kane or Toews in a Wings uniform.

Edited by skyphoenix

I would laugh if Chicago couldnt offer one of them much money (Toews or Kane) and Lidstrom retires (god forbid) giving us enough money to throw at one of them. I have no idea what their situation would be or even if they are UFAs or RFAs but it just popped into my head. I would love to see Kane or Toews in a Wings uniform.

We would have to give the Blackhawks 4 1st rounders in all likelyhood. Which would be absurd.

I believe Hossa was a great signing for the Hawks. Pretty much he took the Zetterberg-esque discount deal but this was one offered by Chicago. Ken Holland was pretty much backed up against the Cap and could do nothing to counter.

One thing to consider... are Hossa and Madden enough to put the Blackhawks over the hump? I feel their shortcoming is still on the defense. it certainly won't help losing Khabibulin.

I just can't see how Campbell's contract can be tradeable for any team to receive unless they get other big paybacks with it (like Campbell salary dump + 2nd round pick for a 5th rounder for example). But I think there is a really easy solution to this for the Hawks, if I understand the CBA correctly. I think players signed under the age of 35 do not count against the cap if they are sent down to the minors. So when push comes to shove, Chicago can "hide" Campbell down in the AHL and free up over $7 mil a year.

With the hockey renaissance there, and 20,000 fans filling the stadium 41 times a season + playoffs, they probably have enough money to pay Campbell to play in the AHL while keeping all their big guns.

I just can't see how Campbell's contract can be tradeable for any team to receive unless they get other big paybacks with it (like Campbell salary dump + 2nd round pick for a 5th rounder for example). But I think there is a really easy solution to this for the Hawks, if I understand the CBA correctly. I think players signed under the age of 35 do not count against the cap if they are sent down to the minors. So when push comes to shove, Chicago can "hide" Campbell down in the AHL and free up over $7 mil a year.

With the hockey renaissance there, and 20,000 fans filling the stadium 41 times a season + playoffs, they probably have enough money to pay Campbell to play in the AHL while keeping all their big guns.

Campbell would have to clear waivers to go down to the AHL and I don't think Campbell would be too happy playing in the minors.

Campbell would have to clear waivers to go down to the AHL and I don't think Campbell would be too happy playing in the minors.

As far as I know, you and Wombat are both correct. If they can't dump his salary, it is an option, but not a good one for the reasons you stated. If they are desperate enough to dump him that they would be willing to expose him, they have probably shopped around for such an insanely low return (low round draft pick or something) that waivers would not be much of a difference.

The only up-side besides saving salary is that they do have someone ready to come up in the playoffs who is a serious upgrade over many of the regular season players.

Noone is considering that perhaps Kane/Towes and maybe even Keith were talked to and some ball park figures were already worked out with those guys, something to the effect we have here in D... a chance to have a great shot at the cup every year. Time will tell but it would not suprise me.

I agree with this. We set the bar and now teams are following with long-term discounted contracts. Some teams (Edmonton, NYR) still overpay, but the vast majority seem to have caught onto the idea of building a core out of loyal, hard working players and building around them. Chicago will find a way, just like Detroit and Pittsburgh have found ways to survive and flourish under the Cap system. Toews and Kane seem like good guys, I'm sure Toews especially will take a slight discount to stay with the Hawks long-term. Toews and Kane are basically their Datsyuk and Zetterberg and from an outsider's perspective they seem to carry themselves off-ice similarly. The Hossa situation doesn't hurt them nearly as bad as some people (Want) to believe.

As far as I know, you and Wombat are both correct. If they can't dump his salary, it is an option, but not a good one for the reasons you stated. If they are desperate enough to dump him that they would be willing to expose him, they have probably shopped around for such an insanely low return (low round draft pick or something) that waivers would not be much of a difference.

The only up-side besides saving salary is that they do have someone ready to come up in the playoffs who is a serious upgrade over many of the regular season players.

You think players around the league won't notice how they treat Campbell? Another part of Detroit's system is they built their reputation on respect and honor to their players. They treat players right, which makes players want to come here for a discount... because they know they will be treated right and shown respect. Like the Hossa situation, Holland basically told him "it's okay if you go shop around, our offer isn't that good due to the cap, we understand this and to show courtesy for you coming here and playing in Detroit (and you owe us nothing), go ahead and talk w/ teams and terms Hossa, it was great having you!

While Chicago is like, ya we made a mistake, but Campbell is going to suffer and treated like an ******* for it. That's how we roll here... go to the AHL you bastard, nobody wants your lazy ass. We signed you for too much and now you must suffer for it and we're going to jump ship to the 'better' option at your expense. Notice how Havlat isn't to happy. He uses the words "loyalty" and "honor"?

Chi-town is ******* themselves in the long run.

I agree with this. We set the bar and now teams are following with long-term discounted contracts. Some teams (Edmonton, NYR) still overpay, but the vast majority seem to have caught onto the idea of building a core out of loyal, hard working players and building around them. Chicago will find a way, just like Detroit and Pittsburgh have found ways to survive and flourish under the Cap system. Toews and Kane seem like good guys, I'm sure Toews especially will take a slight discount to stay with the Hawks long-term. Toews and Kane are basically their Datsyuk and Zetterberg and from an outsider's perspective they seem to carry themselves off-ice similarly. The Hossa situation doesn't hurt them nearly as bad as some people (Want) to believe.

Basically what you believe is Tallon and these three players (Toews, Kane, Keith) all have a "gentleman's agreement", right... See my reply above. Looks like they had some kind of "gentleman's agreement" with Havlat too, look at his comments about how he's saying Chicago/Tallon have no "loyalty" or "honor" which leads us to believe they had a "gentleman's agreement" that they reneged on ... That will HURT Chicago more than it helps. Again, Holland and the Wings approach to being a successful team is by treating players with respect and being the classy organization around the league. Players are happy to take big discounts to be part of the 'legacy' and win the cup.

Chicago is turning into the NBA approach, and it's sad.

Edited by Snazzy

Chicago has FUCT themselves.

If Lids retires and we have that 7/year to throw.......Kane or Toews?

That damn spendthrift Tallon has sunk the Hawks for another 30-40 Years. Regardless of whether they win the cup or not this year.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Chicago has FUCT themselves.

If Lids retires and we have that 7/year to throw.......Kane or Toews?

That damn spendthrift Tallon has sunk the Hawks for another 30-40 Years. Regardless of whether they win the cup or not this year.

If Lidstrom does retire, you can bet your house that Holland will use the money to shore up on the future defense. Kane and Toews would be nice, but not what we need right now.

If Lid's salary does come off the books, I'd like to see the Wing's make a push for a good top pairing defensemen, possibly Pronger for a 2 year 4-5 mill each contract and sign a midlevel forward.

If Lidstrom does retire, you can bet your house that Holland will use the money to shore up on the future defense. Kane and Toews would be nice, but not what we need right now.

If Lid's salary does come off the books, I'd like to see the Wing's make a push for a good top pairing defensemen, possibly Pronger for a 2 year 4-5 mill each contract and sign a midlevel forward.

I agree with getting a top defenseman, just not Pronger. But there is going to be ONE HELL OF A FIRE SALE IN CHICAGO NEXT YEAR!, Bank it! Lol. Next offseason is going to be fun! :)

Now Chicago is talking about moving Sharp... Wow! Hossa's already screwing their depth up and Sharp is a damn good player to have! Chicago is really starting to look worse now than they were last playoffs.

They lost Bulin, Havlat and Pahlsson (am I missing anyone?), and they can pretty much say bye-bye to Versteeg and Sharp. Not a good offseason if you're a Chicago fan.

Edited by Snazzy

I agree, for all these people that are saying Blackhawks are now the best, favor to win the West, etc. They need to wake up and just because you add one player your team is going to be superstar, it ain't going to happen. By adding Hossa to there team, it pretty much just screwed themselves up. They ain't any better, there just the same as last year.

I watched the presser for the Hossa and Kopecky signing and Chicago's GM really didn't seem intimidated when the press mentioned the free agents next year in Chicago. Either way I don't think they can resign all their free agents.

You think players around the league won't notice how they treat Campbell? Another part of Detroit's system is they built their reputation on respect and honor to their players. They treat players right, which makes players want to come here for a discount... because they know they will be treated right and shown respect. Like the Hossa situation, Holland basically told him "it's okay if you go shop around, our offer isn't that good due to the cap, we understand this and to show courtesy for you coming here and playing in Detroit (and you owe us nothing), go ahead and talk w/ teams and terms Hossa, it was great having you!

While Chicago is like, ya we made a mistake, but Campbell is going to suffer and treated like an ******* for it. That's how we roll here... go to the AHL you bastard, nobody wants your lazy ass. We signed you for too much and now you must suffer for it and we're going to jump ship to the 'better' option at your expense. Notice how Havlat isn't to happy. He uses the words "loyalty" and "honor"?

Chi-town is ******* themselves in the long run.

Basically what you believe is Tallon and these three players (Toews, Kane, Keith) all have a "gentleman's agreement", right... See my reply above. Looks like they had some kind of "gentleman's agreement" with Havlat too, look at his comments about how he's saying Chicago/Tallon have no "loyalty" or "honor" which leads us to believe they had a "gentleman's agreement" that they reneged on ... That will HURT Chicago more than it helps. Again, Holland and the Wings approach to being a successful team is by treating players with respect and being the classy organization around the league. Players are happy to take big discounts to be part of the 'legacy' and win the cup.

Chicago is turning into the NBA approach, and it's sad.

It's obvious you know none of the details regarding the Havlat signing and the reasons why they ended up with Hossa. It was more or less Havlat's fault (or I should say his agent's) since he was being offered a long term agreement all year and held out (assuming for more money). It backed Tallon into a corner because if they waited too long then Havlat might have walked anyway and then they'd be stuck with nobody to fill his slot. They went hard after Hossa for a sure bet and it seems to have paid off. They got an arguably better player for less of a cap hit. How exactly did Chicago screw up? It's a business and the players understand that. Havlat/Walsh screwed themselves over while Chicago was playing it safe. He had his window and didn't take it, most likely so he could use other team's offers to leverage his value. It happens but I doubt he'll be too missed after seeing Hossa putting on the indian head next year.

And you're already talking like sending Campbell to the AHL is a done deal when you don't even know if they're even considering it. Looking at the Hawks back end I doubt it, they need all the help they can get since Keith and Seabrook can't do everything themselves. Tallon and Bowman seem to have a plan set in motion and it revolves around their core which is 19, 88, 7, and 2. Expect those guys to be in Chicago for a while. I think they could get rid of a few contracts like Byfuglien and possibly even Versteeg or Sharp to lighten the load. It'd be a bit of a blow to their offense without Sharp though. That guy is a class act and easily the most underrated on that team. Versteeg is kind of meh. Watching him against us in Game 4 made me lose a good chunk of respect for him. Great talent, terrible attitude.

Chicago is far from f*cked and will more than likely be our biggest competition in the West, let alone the division.

Edited by Tommy_Like_Wingy

It's obvious you know none of the details regarding the Havlat signing and the reasons why they ended up with Hossa. It was more or less Havlat's fault (or I should say his agent's) since he was being offered a long term agreement all year and held out (assuming for more money). It backed Tallon into a corner because if they waited too long then Havlat might have walked anyway and then they'd be stuck with nobody to fill his slot. They went hard after Hossa for a sure bet and it seems to have paid off. They got an arguably better player for less of a cap hit. How exactly did Chicago screw up? It's a business and the players understand that. Havlat/Walsh screwed themselves over while Chicago was playing it safe. He had his window and didn't take it, most likely so he could use other team's offers to leverage his value. It happens but I doubt he'll be too missed after seeing Hossa putting on the indian head next year.

And you're already talking like sending Campbell to the AHL is a done deal when you don't even know if they're even considering it. Looking at the Hawks back end I doubt it, they need all the help they can get since Keith and Seabrook can't do everything themselves. Tallon and Bowman seem to have a plan set in motion and it revolves around their core which is 19, 88, 7, and 2. Expect those guys to be in Chicago for a while. I think they could get rid of a few contracts like Byfuglien and possibly even Versteeg or Sharp to lighten the load. It'd be a bit of a blow to their offense without Sharp though. That guy is a class act and easily the most underrated on that team. Versteeg is kind of meh. Watching him against us in Game 4 made me lose a good chunk of respect for him. Great talent, terrible attitude.

Chicago is far from f*cked and will more than likely be our biggest competition in the West, let alone the division.

After reading through all that candy coated bulls***, the fact still remains the same, Chicago is f***ed. Depth? They'll have none. Can they sign their big three next year, highly doubtful unless they can scrape away all role players and sign a whole bunch of 1 million dollar (and less) scrub players.

P.S. Please provide a legit source to your claims regarding Havlat.

They're gonna trade Hossa after the season, mark my word...

It was the only way for them to have a shot at winning the cup this year is to sign him long term to lower the cap hit.

They will lose Kane or Toews if they keep Hossa, it's not possible to keep them both.

Hossa a wing July 1st, 2010.

If Lidstrom retires I rather have Kovalchuk