• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

gcom007

88 goals, 118 assists, and 206 points

Rate this topic

That's the production we've lost in Hossa, Hudler, Sammy and Kopecky.

Like I and others said for the last couple weeks, there's a strong chance we're going to lose all our FA's, not just Hossa. Many scoffed at the notion. But look at us now.

Now, if you really want to see how ugly that is, check this out....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetch...ewName=goalsFor

Subtract 88 goals and we edge out the Rangers by a goal for 28th place in goals scored.

Obviously, it's not that cut and dry, but our kids are not likely to put up that much. Leino's had success at times but he wasn't a big scorer in the AHL even. It's unlikely we'll be able to bring anyone in with our cap space to help that much.

I'm not saying we're out at all as a lot of elite teams are taking a hit this go around as well, but this sure isn't going to be like the last few seasons. This team is going to have to work harder than ever for every point.

88 goals, 118 assists, and 206 points - 4 (really 3...) players

That is not something to minimize.

Like I and others said for the last couple weeks, there's a strong chance we're going to lose all our FA's, not just Hossa. Many scoffed at the notion. But look at us now.

Subtract 88 goals and we edge out the Rangers by a goal for 28th place in goals scored.

Obviously, it's not that cut and dry, but our kids are not likely to put up that much. Leino's had success at times but he wasn't a big scorer in the AHL even. It's unlikely we'll be able to bring anyone in with our cap space to help that much.

I'm not saying we're out at all as a lot of elite teams are taking a hit this go around as well, but this sure isn't going to be like the last few seasons. This team is going to have to work harder than ever for every point.

Leino was nearly a ppg player in the AHL, and a 2 ppg player after the first playoff series in the AHL. But yeah, he was mostly an assist guy. He's still excellent in a scoring role, he just needs to be cast in the role.

Filppula and Cleary's production will increase as they will get more minutes. Zetterberg and Datsyuk may be reunited, which will probably push Z to around 40 goals. Leino will probably reach double digits. Holmström hopefully won't be injured as much. Franzén will be a beast. Osgood will score one goal.

The real issue isn't the amount of goals we scored, it's the amount we let in. If we sign some cheap checking forwards who can kill penalties etc. we should be alright. We can always make a move for a scorer at the trade deadline. While things in the offensive department may not be looking good, there is no reason to attempt to sign some washed up forward who will have a bad attitude and get injured and not score that much. Sign a few hardworking players to help fix our defense, and we will take care of ourselves.

Guest Crymson

Besides making an unequivocal claim that the team isn't going to be as good this season as it was last season, what was the point of this thread? Is it time to panic?

Giving up 60 more goals than the previous year is NOT SOMETHING TO MINIMIZE EITHER!

If you didn't give up 60 extra goals you wouldn't have to score 88 more just to win!

So if Helm, Leino, Abdelkader and Filppula (as additional goals for Fil) get JUST half that amount (44 goals... which is very reasonable) and the Wings go back to their previous 12 year average of allowing only 196 goals instead of 244 they will be AHEAD !!!!!! .... and a better team!!!!!

Leino was nearly a ppg player in the AHL, and a 2 ppg player after the first playoff series in the AHL. But yeah, he was mostly an assist guy. He's still excellent in a scoring role, he just needs to be cast in the role.

Not true. 46 points in 57 games. 15 goals. McCarty scored 11 points and 5 goals in 19 games. Don't count on Leino to put up big numbers in his first year on the big club. He'll likely be a good player, but it's not going to happen overnight and it's not going to make up for the guys we lost.

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=2480

http://griffinshockey.com/news/stats/

Giving up 60 more goals than the previous year is NOT SOMETHING TO MINIMIZE EITHER!

If you didn't give up 60 extra goals you wouldn't have to score 88 more just to win!

So if Helm, Leino, Abdelkader and Filppula (as additional goals for Fil) get JUST half that amount (44 goals... which is very reasonable) and the Wings go back to their previous 12 year average of allowing only 196 goals instead of 244 they will be AHEAD !!!!!! .... and a better team!!!!!

I agree, but I don't see the correlation that some do. We had an outstanding offense, sure, but this idea that it somehow influenced the defense to play sloppy is just lazy logic especially considering the nature of our defensive issues. We weren't pinching. We just gave the puch away in front of our net about a thousand times. That's fundamental stuff. I don't know why it happened, but it did. Stuart and especially Kronwall were responsible for much of it and considering we've really only seen one solid playoffs from Kronwall to justify the idea that he's a steady d-man, I'm a little concerned. I said all along in the regular season the the D concerned me far more than Osgood as I trusted that Osgood could flip the switch as he did but considering the nature of the defensive issues, I wasn't sure it'd be so simple to totally turn them off and it wasn't. Silly mistakes reared their heads more than a few times in the playoffs.

Helm, Leino and Abdelkader are gambles. Leino and Abby could produce a bit, but they could just as easily not produce much this year. Don't bet on Flip. Expect similar output to what you've seen. We'll be lucky if we get 5 extra goals out of him next year even with more ice time. He just doesn't have the shot or the fire.

Not true. 46 points in 57 games. 15 goals. McCarty scored 11 points and 5 goals in 19 games. Don't count on Leino to put up big numbers in his first year on the big club. He'll likely be a good player, but it's not going to happen overnight and it's not going to make up for the guys we lost.

You also need to keep in mind that he wasn't satisfied playing in the AHL at all, which would obviously have affected his production. He put up very good numbers in the playoffs (especially in the first round). I'm more inclined to take his NHL numbers as an indication of how he might play than his AHL ones. I'm not saying we should prorate his points and say he'll get 30+ goals or anything, but I'm suggesting that his AHL numbers may be less insightful than his NHL ones.

I said nearly! :unsure:

I'll be happy if he can put up 0.4ppg in his rookie year. 0.5 and I'll s*** a brick with joy!

You also need to keep in mind that he wasn't satisfied playing in the AHL at all, which would obviously have affected his production. He put up very good numbers in the playoffs (especially in the first round). I'm more inclined to take his NHL numbers as an indication of how he might play than his AHL ones. I'm not saying we should prorate his points and say he'll get 30+ goals or anything, but I'm suggesting that his AHL numbers may be less insightful than his NHL ones.

Also note that he was one of the top scorers in the AHL through the first few weeks but began to lose enthusiasm as it became clear he wouldn't be called up.

Finally, I'd like to end my arguments by pointing out his sweet spin-o-rama goal against Washington.

Thank you.

I'm not saying he doesn't have potential to be a solid guy, but even if he had great AHL numbers, I don't think it's fair, reasonable, realistic, logical, etc... to expect him to put up big numbers this year. Even the superstars need time to adjust to the NHL game and the reality is, this guy's not a superstar. People have got to be realistic about what 3 rookie forwards should be expected to do. It's not a knock on anyone or pessimism, it's just what's absolutely reasonable.

Also note that he was one of the top scorers in the AHL through the first few weeks but began to lose enthusiasm as it became clear he wouldn't be called up.

Finally, I'd like to end my arguments by pointing out his sweet spin-o-rama goal against Washington.

Thank you.

See above, but again, at best, there's still a huge difference between the AHL and the NHL.

we will be fine. think of another team that can lose 88 goals in 1 off-season and still have 3 players that can put up 30+ goals each. will we score as much next year? of course not, but last time i checked we still have the best defence core in the league, and you can bet that ozzy/our defence will never have a season as bad as last year.

I think we can count on Filppula for about 25 goals next year.

First of all, last year he got very little power play time... that alone should add 5 -10 goals....

Secondly, he played a lot on the third line... more as a checking forward.... and was not shooting at the net...... ala Dastyuk a few years back.... just didn't shoot enough.

Third, by playing on the power play I think he will finally learn to shoot the puck when he can at the net.

Fourth, he will be on the second line with someone crashing the net... like Franzen.... a big body who will give Fil some room.

Fifth, Fil does have a good shot.

Sixth, If Fil still doesn't shoot Babcock will pin his ears to his skull.... if you know what I mean......LOL

it sounds a lot but i don't believe the wings need to replace hossa's 40 goals - they scored 37 fewer goals in 07/08 yet they were still by far the best team in the NHL.

but they do need to replace at least 40 of the other 48 goals. but i don't think it is unrealistic to say that helm, abdelkader and leino will score 25 goals between them this year. that leaves another 15 goals between the rest of our forwards and d-men and a $1.5-2m free agent signing. again no that unrealistic IMO.

of course their defence and goaltending has to be better than it was last year too but i can't see how it won't be. it may not return to the level of 07/08 but it will surely be better than last year.

i don't expect the wings to be as good as the past 2 years but they were comfortably the best team in the NHL in that time so they can afford a little drop off and still be one of the favourites for the cup.

I think we can count on Filppula for about 25 goals next year.

In order for Fil to get that many goals he has to play on Datsyuk's left wing so that he doesn't have to be the primary puck handler. I'm sure we'll see it every now and again this year.

it sounds a lot but i don't believe the wings need to replace hossa's 40 goals - they scored 37 fewer goals in 07/08 yet they were still by far the best team in the NHL.

but they do need to replace at least 40 of the other 48 goals. but i don't think it is unrealistic to say that helm, abdelkader and leino will score 25 goals between them this year. that leaves another 15 goals between the rest of our forwards and d-men and a $1.5-2m free agent signing. again no that unrealistic IMO.

I'm almost positive that Zetterberg will get 7-10 more goals.

I definitely think this upcoming season is going to be a lot of work and hopefully they come out on top, having been richer from the work they put in. I would much rather have them try their hardest than just skate through the season and post season on laziness. Not to say they are lazy at all.

Edited by skyphoenix

I'm almost positive that Zetterberg will get 7-10 more goals.

me too (health permitting). cleary will almost certainly score more than the 14 he got this past year too.

Jeez this argument keeps popping up.

Leino --> peg him for 10 goals (yes, just 10)

Helm --> peg him for 10 goals

Abdelkader --> peg him for 7 goals

Ericsson --> peg him for 7 goals

4th Line Grinder --> peg him for 6 goals

Do any of these marks seem out of reach at all? Because right there you just made up 40 of the 80 goals the Wings just lost, and like I've said numerously this past week, you can't include Hossa into the equation (who contributed the other 40 goals the Wings will lose), because we weren't supposed to be able to afford him anyway. Again, compare this year's team to the Cup winning team a couple years ago.

Also, this is assuming Filppulla doesn't grow in his new role, and that Zetterberg has another off year, which hopefully won't be the case. So if you do feel that the above players can't hit those marks, perhaps you feel a bit more comfortable that Filppulla and Zetterberg and Datsyuk and Franzen and Cleary know that they are also being counted on to pick up the slack.

Edited by Echolalia