• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Frozen-Man

NHL asks IIHF, KHL to negate Hudler's KHL Contract

Rate this topic

I want this to lead to Jiri back on our team. But the negative aspect is that as long as this goes on the Wings cannot spend. If the IIHF rules that Hudler is Wings property then they need the cap space. So if this is a drawn out process all the good FA's will be signed by the time we even know if he will stay.

This could turn out really well...or really horribly...

Also it isn't a matter of RFA versus UFA as has been posted and written about. Its a matter of arbitration...

Until the arbitration is settled and the outcome solidified the ruling is that filing for arbitration is a contractual obligation to the team...had he not filed for arbitration it would not be this way.

Jiri...you and your agent may have really screwed the pooch on this one by filing for arbitration on Sunday...

Does anyone truly want him back if he doesn't want to be here? That's the last thing I'd want. I say trade him or at least let him walk and get us picks. I don't want anyone here who doesn't want to be here.

Once again, when did he say he didn't want to be in Detroit?

please, ignore thos who bash Hudler a la " f*** hudler, does not want to make sacrifices, greedy a..hole" Teenagers mostly do not know what it means to be fiscally responsible, do they ?

$5 says you're 20 years old :rolleyes: Internet tough guyz ftw!!!1

So you were preferring he was a $5m+ player whom this team would not have a chance to afford anyways?

I'm not just not keen on the lil' bugar. Never have been, never will be. Personally I would rather a 3 million Filipulla type player for the 3rd line than a 2.5 - 3 million Hudler. That is my opinion, you are welcome to flame me, but it won't change my opinion.

Also it isn't a matter of RFA versus UFA as has been posted and written about. Its a matter of arbitration...

Until the arbitration is settled and the outcome solidified the ruling is that filing for arbitration is a contractual obligation to the team...had he not filed for arbitration it would not be this way.

Jiri...you and your agent may have really screwed the pooch on this one by filing for arbitration on Sunday...

If at the end of the arbitration process the Red Wings weren't happy with the Arbitrators decision they have the option of not entering into the contract and allowing him to be a U.F.A.

Would that fact not nullify their argument as the arbitration process itself does not guarantee that a contract will be the end result?

I'm not a lawyer but if I'm whoever will be arguing Hudler's case for him that is one talking point I try to focus on.

I didn't feel like reading through all these posts, but they should penalize RFA who run off to the KHL. Meaning they should make a rule stating that if a RFA runs off to the KHL, then they forfiet any future of comong back to the National Hockey League or shall pay a fine and will be required to sign for league minimum as if they are a fresh rookie.

Probably most of the above penalties would land NHL in court. Suspended for the remainder of his RFA status, maybe. But I don't think NHL can deny a player from ever playing in the league again. On the other hand individual team would be much more cautious signed a guy who bolted out of a contract before (this is not quite the case with Hudler, he has no NHL contract at the moment).

First things first. I no longer want Hudler in the winged wheel no matter what. Used to love the guy. But jumping ship in this way is too ridiculous. The silver lining is, we definitely own his rights. So if the KHL agrees to terminate the contract, I say trade time. You know we would get good value for him considering the year he just had. I will miss his goal scoring. But lets face it, the guy was mediocre at best defensively. And he has no physical game whatsoever. Trade Hudler!

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings

I'm not just not keen on the lil' bugar. Never have been, never will be. Personally I would rather a 3 million Filipulla type player for the 3rd line than a 2.5 - 3 million Hudler. That is my opinion, you are welcome to flame me, but it won't change my opinion.

Not flaming, I am just telling you that on the open market there are more Flips then Huds... People pay for scoring... It all evens out anyway, Franzen took a deal that grossly underpays him over the length of it... Flip is getting paid more then a lot of similar players of his type... Neither one changes the fact that hudler has a value in excess dollar wise then the Wings can match in an open market... The Hudler's of the league make more money usually then the Flip's do...I do not argue Flip can be viewed as more important to the team, but that is how hockey pays out...

Let me throw in that the light could really turn on for Flip offensively, and he could become a bargain...

Edited by Wingseroo

I don't really blame Hudler for wanting to venture off to Russia for a bit. It's another experience and great money. The Wings can't afford what he feels like he deserves which is rather fair of him especially considering Flips contract last year. So eh, we'll see how this shakes out. I expect him to be in the KHL next year. I don't like seeing him go, but life goes on.

Pav did this a few years ago before we signed him to the "steal" that we ended up keeping him for. Point is; Hudler will be playing with the Wings next year. He filed for arbitration, has not confirmed any reports to the media, so the point is moot until something is official.

Not that I really mind losing Huds anyhow.

No, he won't. He signed the 2 year deal with the KHL, that is fact, or else the NHL wouldn't be contesting anything.

I don't know who this IIHL or wahtever it is, actually is, but who are they to say a FREE MAN cannot go play hockey where he wants to? IF a player is inthe middle of a contract he should be able to pack up and leave, so long as its not in the same governing league. What are they some kind of governing body that rules over any and all ice hockey played in the world? DO they decide what is best for the hockey world? Sounds alot like our medling UNited States Governent. Hudler is a free agent, he decided he didn't want to play in the NHL this year or next, he wasn't under any contract, he isn't OWED anything, unlike someone said earlier, the Wings OWE Hudler ZERO. This IIHL (or whatever) if it is some kind of governing body, only decision should be if you sign in the KHL you forfeit ALL NHL rights under the current RFA rules. If he wants to return the NHL he hould have to resubmit papers to re-enter a NHL draft and have to play for the entry level contract. If they aren't a governing body, then let the guy go play where he wants to, isn't that the reason the former Czechoslovokia became free, so they have to right to choose to go and do what they want. If he wants to leave the NHL when he is NOT under contract, the f*ck off NHL, but then if he decides he wants to come back, he has to do it all over again, so f*ck off Hudler.

Bottom line, the KHL and NHL have nothing to do with each other, so when a FREE AGENT ops to go somewhere else BEFORE HE SIGNS A CONTRACT, there should be NO ISSUES...

Let him go...

i say let him go.. trade him now :)

not a fan of this story at all.. he wont give his all playing for 2-2.5m (or even 3m) in detroit so we should get rid of him now and get someone who wants to play for that money and will give his all.

The reason Huds is going to Russia is he didn't want to play anywhere else in the NHL, but Det couldn't pay him what he was owed.

Let me reiterate, the man is going to the KHL because the only team in the NHL he wants to play for is DETROIT!

He is going to KHL to help the team and prevent himself from playing elsewhere.

Holland is saying 4 years or 5 years to Jiri's agent letting his agent pick, however at most the cap hit can be what 2 mil a year.

He is way too young to take a contract with the last 3 years being 1 mil, unless it is a 15 year deal and he has not reached that point in his career yet.

He is leaving the NHL because he and the team cannot come to terms, most players in that situation and at his age and skill level take a deal from another NHL team and go there.

Huds is going to the KHL for 2 years with hopes of returning to the Wings. He is not deserting the team!

:thumbup:

That's how I view it as a fan...if he wanted to desert he would've taken a trade and left (or something to that effect)...Huds wanted to stay, that was obvious, yes, there is a thing called sacrificing for your team and teammates, but on the same note, there is also another situation that is called "lowballing" and not giving or trying to give what a player is deserved....

Some of you may not think he deserved it, some of us do.....I still think Holland didn't think everything through and things happened that he didn't expect and got out of hand. Am I Holland, no, am I a GM....no.....but that is my opinion, and I am titled to it.

i say let him go.. trade him now :)

not a fan of this story at all.. he wont give his all playing for 2-2.5m (or even 3m) in detroit so we should get rid of him now and get someone who wants to play for that money and will give his all.

Look at the cap...there is no way he was going to get $2.5 at all this year! The cap space is at $1.8 w/ Helm & Abby on there.....so maybe the contract terms are what they could not agree on......This whole $2.5 crap couldn't even be offered....so that should just be thrown out the window.

And to say he won't give his all....that is ridiculous....would you take a pay cut to play for the team you loved, knowing that you would get a raise in the next coming years, but not play your all.....so then after that the GM would say "forget your raise...I'm trading your ass..." THINK ABOUT THAT!

When have you known Happy Huds to not give his all?!?! He has to in order to stay in the NHL and play for anyone, let alone the Wings.

Silly goose.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion :)

At some point, however; points alone has to provide value.

Remember: Filppula signed his 5 year, $15m contract after posting 17 and 32 points in the NHL.

The past two seasons Hudler has posted 42 and 57 points.

It's just amazing to me that so many appear to value the intangible play of Filppula so much, that it is essentially worth giving up 25 points.

Look at the cap...there is no way he was going to get $2.5 at all this year! The cap space is at $1.8 w/ Helm & Abby on there.....so maybe the contract terms are what they could not agree on......This whole $2.5 crap couldn't even be offered....so that should just be thrown out the window.

And to say he won't give his all....that is ridiculous....would you take a pay cut to play for the team you loved, knowing that you would get a raise in the next coming years, but not play your all.....so then after that the GM would say "forget your raise...I'm trading your ass..." THINK ABOUT THAT!

When have you known Happy Huds to not give his all?!?! He has to in order to stay in the NHL and play for anyone, let alone the Wings.

Silly goose.

chill out.. he aint THAT good.. we dont need him, easily replaceable. he had 5 million in his hand for the year and now is stuck playing for under 2 or so. he wont give his all. heck he is rarely visible on the ice when he's playing for a contract (this year) why would he show up now after this scenario?

Hudler, the lone Red Wing to play in all 82 games, recorded career-high totals in goals (23) and points (57) last season. He has a terrific shot, a deft passing touch and, despite his size (generously listed at 5-foot-10 and 186 pounds) goes to the net.

Nearly half of his points came on the power play (six goals, 28 points). The Red Wings hope Valtteri Filppula, who rarely saw power-play time, and/or Dan Cleary, who saw only spot power-play duty, can make up for that.

Hudler had four goals and 12 points in 23 playoff games. He ran out of steam in the final two rounds, with no goals, four assists and 12 shots on goal in the last 12 games.

KHL offers are not binding since there is no transfer agreement between the NHL and the Russian Hockey Federation. So Hudler could opt out of his Dynamo contract and return to the NHL. But that seems unlikely, considering the money he will make.

The KHL has lured away several NHL players in recent years.

Jaromir Jagr signed last summer with Avangard Omsk for a reported $5 million a year. Nashville's Alexander Radulov signed with Salavat Yulaev Ufa last year. Former Red Wing Sergei Fedorov left Washington to sign last month with Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...o_contract.html

1st bolded- Only player to play all 82 games....career high stats (and some of you say that if he came back he'd play half ass)....doubt it!

2nd bolded-NOT BINDING....back-up plan.

If he WANTED to leave this Wings, he would not, repeat..WOULD NOT HAVE FILED FOR ARBITRATION.

And since when is it wrong to want to better your skills....??? Yes the KHL may not be the defensive/hitting that he may need....but MANY of you also say he doesn't skate fast enough among other stuff...well...wouldn't that help in that are?! And for $5mil....come on....almost anyone on here woulda took the deal if you couldn't play for the team you wanted and not want to play anywhere else. I don't believe for a minute that teams out there didn't want him for $3Mil either...especially when he ranks with the top 3 players (NYRangers) on one of those teams, and I am sure there are others. He's one of the top 100 nationally ranked players, out of how many??? Get with it....the litte dude has some skills.....if you don't like him that's fine.....but stop saying "Great, if he comes back then he'll suck for the Wings...and then it's all his fault we lost games..."

That guy has put his heart and sole into the Red Wings...and just because he deserves a raise and WANTS to play for the Wings....now he's a bad guy?! Ok...then so is 80% of the NHL......

Ya gotta remember that in Filppula's case we weren't up against the cap as much as we are now...Totally different scenarios.

If it were Filppula in Hudler's shoes - well he'd be the odd man out.

(This is futile at this point (with Hudler pretty much gone), but it beats talking about how we lost in the Finals...)

It does not have to be - because Filppula can be traded (or another player, as Holland was apparently planning on doing in order to reatain Hudler).

Just trying to look at it logically:

Player A + some nice intangibles << Player B +25 pts + a 2nd round pick (at bare minimum)

chill out.. he aint THAT good.. we dont need him, easily replaceable. he had 5 million in his hand for the year and now is stuck playing for under 2 or so. he wont give his all. heck he is rarely visible on the ice when he's playing for a contract (this year) why would he show up now after this scenario?

See...that's your opinon....only Wing to play all 82 games...nope didn't show up at all....never on the ice, never scored any goals on PP...never scored any goals in the playoffs, no assists......the only reason he may not be visible is because he's small.....but still put up 57 points....hard to do for someone that is invisible...

And I wasn't yelling, I even said silly goose, more of a smirk...so why do I need to chill?....how about all those posters saying "f huds, f this, f that...." They need to chill not me......

Oh and yes, the Wings will be just FINE with Hel-Leino-Abby.....HEY they might even put up MORE points then Huds did last year....it could happen! And man, all those injuries out there, why would we want to keep a young guy that is good to go that can put up points...Man we don't need him....just get a grit hitting guy and the Wings will be GREAT next year....

yes, I was being sarchastic....

I want this to lead to Jiri back on our team. But the negative aspect is that as long as this goes on the Wings cannot spend. If the IIHF rules that Hudler is Wings property then they need the cap space. So if this is a drawn out process all the good FA's will be signed by the time we even know if he will stay.

This could turn out really well...or really horribly...

Nah, Holland just needs to go on with plans, sign his 4th liner, then whenever this is settled, and when an arbitrator rules, tell Huds, this is all we have left, see ya. (we weren't going to get anything for him, but screwed anyhow.) Sure, filing for arbitration meant he didn't want any offers from anybody else, BUT, he KNEW the limited cap space, and he still handcuffed Holland by filing. Does he actully expect Holland to wait around all summer for this to settle while all the remaining UFA's worth having sign elsewhere? Sorry Huds, you chose arbitration, you chose the KHL, you screwed us out of draft pick(s), now you may not even be able to get your $5million tax free, be sent back to the NHL, be awarded a $3.5M contract and get let go by the only team you wanna play for. But, hey, you will then be a UFA and you can go whereever!

Like I said Good Riddance! Holland will move on with running a business with out without your greedy ass...

Who wants a a player that doesnt want to be one this team, probably not motivated or prepared to sacrifice himself for the team - only wants the big money.... not me atleast.

For once I agree with mindfly. I don't want him on the team oven moreso than before.

See...that's your opinon....only Wing to play all 82 games...nope didn't show up at all....never on the ice, never scored any goals on PP...never scored any goals in the playoffs, no assists......the only reason he may not be visible is because he's small.....but still put up 57 points....hard to do for someone that is invisible...

And I wasn't yelling, I even said silly goose, more of a smirk...so why do I need to chill?....how about all those posters saying "f huds, f this, f that...." They need to chill not me......

Oh and yes, the Wings will be just FINE with Hel-Leino-Abby.....HEY they might even put up MORE points then Huds did last year....it could happen! And man, all those injuries out there, why would we want to keep a young guy that is good to go that can put up points...Man we don't need him....just get a grit hitting guy and the Wings will be GREAT next year....

yes, I was being sarchastic....

played 82 games cause he does f*** all *smirk*.. only plays on the PP basically and thats where more then half his pts come from. like i said he's easily replaced. flip is better player.. and he's obviously wanting flip money in detroit, which is fine. flip is overpaid at this point.. but he's behind 2 great centers in datsyuk and zetterberg.

Hudler, the lone Red Wing to play in all 82 games, recorded career-high totals in goals (23) and points (57) last season. He has a terrific shot, a deft passing touch and, despite his size (generously listed at 5-foot-10 and 186 pounds) goes to the net.

Nearly half of his points came on the power play (six goals, 28 points). The Red Wings hope Valtteri Filppula, who rarely saw power-play time, and/or Dan Cleary, who saw only spot power-play duty, can make up for that.

Hudler had four goals and 12 points in 23 playoff games. He ran out of steam in the final two rounds, with no goals, four assists and 12 shots on goal in the last 12 games.

KHL offers are not binding since there is no transfer agreement between the NHL and the Russian Hockey Federation. So Hudler could opt out of his Dynamo contract and return to the NHL. But that seems unlikely, considering the money he will make.

The KHL has lured away several NHL players in recent years.

Jaromir Jagr signed last summer with Avangard Omsk for a reported $5 million a year. Nashville's Alexander Radulov signed with Salavat Yulaev Ufa last year. Former Red Wing Sergei Fedorov left Washington to sign last month with Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...o_contract.html

1st bolded- Only player to play all 82 games....career high stats (and some of you say that if he came back he'd play half ass)....doubt it!

2nd bolded-NOT BINDING....back-up plan.

If he WANTED to leave this Wings, he would not, repeat..WOULD NOT HAVE FILED FOR ARBITRATION.

And since when is it wrong to want to better your skills....??? Yes the KHL may not be the defensive/hitting that he may need....but MANY of you also say he doesn't skate fast enough among other stuff...well...wouldn't that help in that are?! And for $5mil....come on....almost anyone on here woulda took the deal if you couldn't play for the team you wanted and not want to play anywhere else. I don't believe for a minute that teams out there didn't want him for $3Mil either...especially when he ranks with the top 3 players (NYRangers) on one of those teams, and I am sure there are others. He's one of the top 100 nationally ranked players, out of how many??? Get with it....the litte dude has some skills.....if you don't like him that's fine.....but stop saying "Great, if he comes back then he'll suck for the Wings...and then it's all his fault we lost games..."

That guy has put his heart and sole into the Red Wings...and just because he deserves a raise and WANTS to play for the Wings....now he's a bad guy?! Ok...then so is 80% of the NHL......

Wish in one hand, sh!t in the other... Keep convincing yourself Hudler isn't leaving, a ton of use did the same thing when Fedorov left, but guess what? "Greed....for lack of a better word.....is good!" -Gordon Gecko. He is greedy, he screwed the Wings out of ANY compensation, he is not going to play here because he will be awarded a contract too rich for our Cap. The best thing he should've done is keep negotiotian with Holland to an agreement and just not sign any other qualifying offers. His agent is paying hardball with Holland, "mess with the bull and you get the horns" - "Dick" Vernon. I expected nothing less from Petr Svoboda, he was one of the dirtiest players in the NHL and now he is playing dirty as an agent. Harry Neal once called a play by him (when he played for Phildelphia) "That was a cheap check, by a cheap czech!"