• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

egroen

Jason Williams Offered 1 Year Contract

Rate this topic

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/ccustance.tsn

Former Columbus forward Jason Williams is part of a group of talented players still on the free agent market who would be a nice boost for teams looking to add scoring depth. Williams, who scored 19 goals last season for the Thrashers and Blue Jackets, is also a very useful player on the power play. The addition of Williams in mid-season helped get Columbus into the playoffs for the first time in franchise history.

I caught Jason on his celll for a few minutes today before he hit the golf course. He has a one-year offer to return to the Detroit Red Wings where he started his NHL career but is also weighing the option of playing in the KHL.

"I'm not going to close the door on that," Williams told SportingNews.com. "I know over there they're really trying to compete with the NHL. It's a great league."

Williams still has a home in the Detroit area, one he bought right before he was traded to the Blackhawks. He's renting it out now, and only lived in it for about six months before he left Detroit. The Red Wings would be a natural fit for Williams.

"I'd be going back to a spot I'm familiar with," Williams said. "I know the system they like to play - puck possession, good defense."

He said he loved his time in Columbus, and would like to return to the Blue Jackets but hasn't gotten an offer from GM Scott Howson. Even so, he had great things to say about his 39-game stint with the Blue Jackets.

"The guys are great, the organization is really turned around," he said. "Everything was first class there."

According to the Hockey Insider, Jason Wiliams has been offered a contract by the Detroit Red Wings. The rumored deal is $2.5 million for one year. We have rated this at 80%. There is rumored that he wanted to stay in Columbus, but was never offered a contract.

http://www.hendrickshockey.com/

Please please please go to the KHL. Ugh. The team thought Kyle Calder was an upgrade over him, and now we're going to bring him back at 2.5? I think I would have preferred keeping Sammy.

Just out of curiosity, don't the Wings have to wait and see what happens with tomorrow's hearing with Hudler before they can go signing other folks?

Please please please go to the KHL. Ugh. The team thought Kyle Calder was an upgrade over him, and now we're going to bring him back at 2.5? I think I would have preferred keeping Sammy.

Just out of curiosity, don't the Wings have to wait and see what happens with tomorrow's hearing with Hudler before they can go signing other folks?

You can go over the cap by 10% during the off-season, though I am sure Holland would prefer not to sign & trade.

It is looking more and more like the NHL will not be able to keep Hudler from the KHL.

$2.5m for Williams seems excessive -- he only made $2.2m last year.

Opinion piece: http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2009/7/27...ebate?ref=yahoo

There's no way we offerred him 2.5 million. I don't believe this for a second.

EDIT: With that said, I wouldn't mind Williams back in Detroit. His 29 points in 39 games as a Jacket to finish last season were fairly decent, and that was him playing with worse linemates. However, 2.5 is too much.

Edited by The Mule

Guest Shoreline

I like you egroen, but I hope your links are bulls***. :(

Edited by Shoreline

Williams has speed and a rocket of a shot, certainly an upgrade over Samuelsson and essentially the same player as Hudler. Remind me again, why is this bad news?

He's more comparable to a speedier, less physical Sammy than he is to Hudler.

Hudler puts up more points with 3-4 minutes less in ice time.

From Abel to Yzerman -

Remember this quote after Williams was (finally) sent to the press box in 2007?

“He’s the coach, he makes the decisions. I don’t really like the way he did it. I just have to control what I can control.’’

How did he do it?

“Just coming up and giving me a tap on the shin pads (after the pregame warm-ups), that’s how he normally does it, but he could have come to me before the game and said, “We’re going to probably sit you out tonight,’’ or something like that and explain it to me. It’s the way he wants to handle it, he’s going to control the situation how he wants to control it.’’