• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

Mats Sundin calls it a career

Rate this topic

I had no problem with him until the last couple years. If he would have pulled that crap again and in December saying he was gonna go play with the Pens or the Bruins or some crap I would have slapped him. Great player, too bad he never got a Cup. But turning down the trade here because he "didn't want to be a rental player and you should be with a team for the whole season" and then to turn around and basically be that with the Canucks made me lose a little respect for him. Along with how he was negotiating with the Habs and then on July 2nd comes out and says he's not sure if he is gonna play or not. That might have stopped the Habs from going after other players.

Anyways.... will not focusing on the negative. Enjoy your retirement Mats.

Very good player awarded legend status by the Toronto-centric hockey media.

I guess that's not completely fair...being the all-time leading scorer for a franchise as storied as the Leafs is nothing to sneeze at.

Obviously, I'm conflicted about what his legacy should be. Mostly though, I'm just glad he figured it out, even if it was a year too late.

Why is it such a crime to be unsure if you wanna retire or not? People said this s*** about Favre too. It's their carrer for Christ sakes, give 'em a little latitude. Nobody wants to jump into admitting they're too old head first. Sheesh...

esteef

Sundin is almost as certain as Lidstrom to enter the hall of fame...

No, he's not.

Sundin never won a cup, nor did he ever win a major personal trophy during his career in the NHL. He only had a single hundred point season, and never scored 50 goals. He may make it to the hall some day, but I doubt he will be a first balloter.

Guest mindfly

~1350 career points, point-per-game player, hall of fame isn't only about NHL as far as im concerned he was probably the best player on international level.

Edited by mindfly

No, he's not.

Sundin never won a cup, nor did he ever win a major personal trophy during his career in the NHL. He only had a single hundred point season, and never scored 50 goals. He may make it to the hall some day, but I doubt he will be a first balloter.

And what team was he playing for again? <_<

And what team was he playing for again? <_<

The Toronto Maple Leafs, who put together some pretty decent teams in the late 90s and early 2000s. It was only until 3 or 4 years ago that they tanked.

I've heard that excuse WAY too many times. I am not saying he wont ever get the the HHOF - the Toronto media would never stand for that. I was replying to mindfly's post claiming he deserves the call from the Hall just as soon as Lidstrom - that is ludicrous.

I see Sundin and Lindros as very comparable to get in the Hall, though Lindros' personal stats and achievements where much more significant.

Interesting debate over whether or not he is an all-star.

No major individual awards, no cups., but was an 9 time all star. An Olympic Gold and 3 World Championships, but the latter is viewed in N America (quite rightly IMO) as a 2nd tier tournament. However he played for the Leafs and given their media power-base, that may put him over the top.

He's a certainty to have his number retired by Toronto, but for me its a toss of the coin if he gets in the HOF.

The comparison to Lindros is interesting. For a period of several years Lindros was THE dominant player in the NHL, something Sundin never was, but Sundin had a much longer career giving him superior totals.

Edited by Nev