• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Mule

[GDT] 10/2 - Blues 4, Red Wings 3 (Stockholm)

Rate this topic

This the 84th season played in Club history (83rd played).

Historical Record: Overall and Road

Overall

This is the 5649th regular season game played. The Club’s record in the previous 5648 games:

2572 Wins

2207 Losses

815 Ties

2 Regulation Ties

32 Overtime Losses

20 Shootout Losses.

[

]

This is the 2nd game played on this date. The Club’s record in the previous game:

1W-0L.

LGW.

I love reading stats like this. Thanks for taking the time to gather this information and post it!

For those of us who don't get Versus any more :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: could those of you who do PLEASE keep the rest of us posted about what the hell's happening??!! THANKS.

Meanwhile, if there are any streams for this game, I'm assuming those who know about them will put 'em n here. THANKS AGAIN.

Internet radio at least you can listen

Edited by KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Had to call in sick to work yesterday. Why couldn't I have been sick a single day later? Got class AND work today so I'll really miss all of it. Oh, and no cable, so unless there's a stream...

If tomorrow's game will be broadcast maybe I'll go to Buffalo Wild Wings or something to catch it, since I'm lucky enough to have tomorrow off!

Go Wings!

Wings win 6-1

Wings: Leino x3, Franzen, Lidstrom, Ericsson

Blues: Some high draft pick

Leino scores the first three just to piss the Swedish fans off. :lol:

The Swedish Wings feel bad and pot some for their countrymen.

For those of us who don't get Versus any more :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: could those of you who do PLEASE keep the rest of us posted about what the hell's happening??!! THANKS.

Meanwhile, if there are any streams for this game, I'm assuming those who know about them will put 'em n here. THANKS AGAIN.

Here you go:

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/nhl-icehockey/442...2nd-2009-a.html

This is a a home and home series. The Wings are the away team today, and the home team tomorrow.

According to the NHL.com, we are the home team today.

Guest E_S_A_D

Thank goodness for vacation time. Going to have to leave at 2 today. Time to pick up some heineken, sit back in the recliner with my laptop and posts with you guys, and watch some Wings.

And that is why I took a half day today. I can't fathom missing the first game of the season for the Wings.

I'm calling your boss right now. :P

I wish these games would start at 7:00 ET. If the Swedes love the NHL so much, they won't mind attending a game in the middle of the night on a Friday.

I for one have to go to a meeting, so I'll miss the game. I can't tape it either, since it's not being televised anymore (thank you DirecTV and Comcast <_< ).

Guest E_S_A_D

Anyone see the front page of the Detroit News right now?

* Columnists RSS Feed

* e-mail headlines

* Text alerts

* On your PDA

* Print

* Email

* Comment

* Read Comments

* Text Size:

* Small Text Size

* Normal Text Size

* Large Text Size

o Share

Friday, October 2, 2009

Chris McCosky

Swedish opener makes no sense for the NHL

Stockholm, Sweden

No offense to the good people here in Stockholm, and certainly no disrespect to Nicklas Lidstrom and the rest of the Swede-Wings, but what the heck is the NHL doing over here?

There is nothing to be gained, from a business standpoint, by playing games abroad -- here or Helsinki or wherever. Yes, I understand the concept of globalization. I know the NBA has managed to tap into another lucrative revenue stream in Europe and Asia.

Globalization works for the NBA because it has an established base in its home market. It has multiple television contracts. Its brand is 1,000 times bigger than the NHL. It's a viable commodity on the global market.

Advertisement

Sweden? What for?

The NHL? Not so much. How can the NHL be thinking global when it is struggling in its main market? There is no chance the NHL is expanding to Europe. There isn't going to be any spike in merchandise sales over here.

Listen, these fans here adore the Swede-Wings, and by extension, they are fans of the Red Wings. But what does that mean to the business of the NHL? Nothing.

The worst thing about starting the season over here is that so few in North America know or even care about it.

Wings goalie Chris Osgood said he got a call from his friend, Lions center Dominic Raiola, on Wednesday and Raiola, a big sports fan, didn't even know the Wings were in Sweden.

This trip hasn't generated any buzz about the start of a new season where it matters most -- in the NHL's primary markets.

A better idea

Here's what the NHL should do instead: At the start of each season, pick a destination city in North America -- Las Vegas, New York, Miami, Toronto, Vancouver, wherever -- and invite the final four teams from the previous year and stage an NHL showcase. Each team gets two regular-season games and you can pair them off any way you want -- East runners-up vs. West runners-up, rematch of the conference championships, whatever.

With a season-opening showcase, the outdoor Winter Classic and the All-Star weekend -- and this year the Olympics, too -- the league would have three premier events, all in destination cities within the base market, to promote its product before the playoffs.

Wouldn't that create more buzz than this?

chris.mccosky@detnews.com