• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest E_S_A_D

LGW is Pro-Enforcer: The Results are In.

Rate this topic

I'm a Godard fan, but he doesn't fit the role of the Wings. May actually has some offensive talent, it's quite remarkable really his abilities in clutch situations. He's more of a role player too... smart.

This whole thread is pointless and should be called "LGW - Pro-Roll Player" then. May is NOT an enforcer. The last thing the Wings need is another guy past his prime who can't fight. If they're going to get someone in here to protect their stars, get someone who can mop. Not someone who's going to go out and get his ass kicked by Getzlaf.

This whole thread is pointless and should be called "LGW - Pro-Roll Player" then. May is NOT an enforcer. The last thing the Wings need is another guy past his prime who can't fight. If they're going to get someone in here to protect their stars, get someone who can mop. Not someone who's going to go out and get his ass kicked by Getzlaf.

May would destroy Getzlaf.

The real way for the Wings to solve the problem of being too small to intimidate is to suck for a few years and be able to draft guys like Getzlaf. Unfortunately, the harder they work, and the better they try to be, the more the deck will be stacked against them.

I agree with Mike Babcock. Enforcers do deter cheapshots somewhat.

The guy is the most succesful coach since the lockout, so how dare you anti-enforcer people disagree with his comments? Do you really think you're smarter than Mike Babcock? Maybe you guys should coach the team instead of him.

With May, Bertuzzi, Lilja and Ericsson in the lineup, this could be the toughest Wings team of the decade. :yowza:

Edited by GMRwings1983

Don't forget Bert and AppleFritter!

esteef

Yeah, I forgot about Bertuzzi.

Now our lineup has an enforcer, a crippler, and a possible return in PAIN TRAIN. Also, Ericsson is a big kid who can throw 'em from time to time.

Wow, we actually have a team that may stand up for itself. No more Sammy and Hudler to run and hide when the other team starts to shove. What's Downey up to these days?

The midrange fighter could beat all of these guys. An enforcer like Laraque, Boogard, or Godard would absolutely anihilate any of the Wings.

:rolleyes:

Has a Wings player ever fought any of those 3 men? Hey, If May gets slaughtered, then we'll bring in Parker.

I'm sad to announce that Lou is MIA - soon to be seen on the back of a milk carton.

Yeah, he finally had enough of the Wings roster and some of the posters around here who have no clue as to the importance of an enforcer.

He'd have been proud to see this day, however, since May was his favorite player ever! :D

:rolleyes:

Has a Wings player ever fought any of those 3 men? Hey, If May gets slaughtered, then we'll bring in Parker.

Is Andy Bezeau still around? He wasn't the best fighter, but he was totally insane. Look at these great stats:

1995-96 Fort Wayne Komets IHL 74 10 11 21 590

Is Andy Bezeau still around? He wasn't the best fighter, but he was totally insane. Look at these great stats:

1995-96 Fort Wayne Komets IHL 74 10 11 21 590

That guy was a maniac. I don't think they'd allow someone with his personality to play in the NHL, but he hasn't played in a long time anyway.

Guest micah
May would destroy Getzlaf.

Yup. Plus, if May fights Getzlaf, we win twice. If May or any other hack has a chance to goad the other team's best player into a fight and take him off the ice for 5, I expect them to take it.

This team, like the league, is trending tougher. I like that.

The Detroit News picked up a little more of Babcock's quote, which is interesting:

http://detnews.com/article/20091008/SPORTS...kader+to+minors

"Tough guys always play tough and I got no problems with that. But guys who aren't tough and they play against you and they are tough, that drives me crazy."

It sounds like he is saying that the Wings' opponents think they're so soft that even the non-tough guys want to push them around. It also sounds like he thinks it is undeserved.

I will be interested to see if Chicago is interested in continuing a physical rivalry tonight, considering that their top forwards aren't exactly forged out of iron either.

I agree with Mike Babcock. Enforcers do deter cheapshots somewhat.

The guy is the most succesful coach since the lockout, so how dare you anti-enforcer people disagree with his comments? Do you really think you're smarter than Mike Babcock? Maybe you guys should coach the team instead of him.

With May, Bertuzzi, Lilja and Ericsson in the lineup, this could be the toughest Wings team of the decade. :yowza:

There are no anti-enforcers!

You and E_S_A_D and whoever else there is have been getting away with mischaracterizing the basis of the debate. It's not about who's for or against signing a fighter, because no one is anti-fighting.

Both Holland and Babcock value the righty on the PP, so Williams replaced Samuelsson. The Wings needed a big-bodied top six player for cheap, so Bertuzzi replaced Hossa. Eaves is an RFA so we can do whatever we want with him. They both value all these things over an enforcer based on their actions, not just some inconsistent quotes.

I support the team whether they make the moves I think they should have or not. You don't. That's where the disagreement is. This is not about having a fighter on the roster.

Unfortunately I suspect your position isn't even based on wanting a fighter on the team, but rather wanting a fight on the boards, so carry on.

Guest E_S_A_D
What kills me from the Detroit News article is how May could be sent down to GR to make room for a healthy Helm...Hey - how about sending Maltby instead?

EDIT - If May dresses for tonights game - bet we'll hear a loud round of applause when he hits the ice.

He will.

There are no anti-enforcers!

You and E_S_A_D and whoever else there is have been getting away with mischaracterizing the basis of the debate. It's not about who's for or against signing a fighter, because no one is anti-fighting.

Both Holland and Babcock value the righty on the PP, so Williams replaced Samuelsson. The Wings needed a big-bodied top six player for cheap, so Bertuzzi replaced Hossa. Eaves is an RFA so we can do whatever we want with him. They both value all these things over an enforcer based on their actions, not just some inconsistent quotes.

I support the team whether they make the moves I think they should have or not. You don't. That's where the disagreement is. This is not about having a fighter on the roster.

Unfortunately I suspect your position isn't even based on wanting a fighter on the team, but rather wanting a fight on the boards, so carry on.

The bolded part is right, but everything else in your post was wrong and exaggerated. Funny that you'd criticize me and ESAD for exaggeration, when you just did it yourself.

If I didn't support the team, I wouldn't be posting here, and I'd have a lot less stress over the years from watching them. There are posters here who are anti-enforcer and don't believe that players like that have a place in the game, so it's B.S. for you to say otherwise. And I'm not here to stir up the boards, because that takes care of itself around here. It's not like I joined last month.

So yeah, there are anti-enforcers here.

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but:

"He’s been in the league about 15 plus years, it’s not any secret what he brings to a team," said Holland. "He obviously brings a dimension of physicality. He has no problem dropping the gloves. He’s a vocal leader on the bench."

"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don’t have him, we get run. We don’t have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It’s just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

So that right there pretty much shoots down the Softy-Crowd excuse of May being "worthless" because "physical players dont PREVENT injuries and cheapshots"

The bolded part is right, but everything else in your post was wrong and exaggerated. Funny that you'd criticize me and ESAD for exaggeration, when you just did it yourself.

If I didn't support the team, I wouldn't be posting here, and I'd have a lot less stress over the years from watching them. There are posters here who are anti-enforcer and don't believe that players like that have a place in the game, so it's B.S. for you to say otherwise. And I'm not here to stir up the boards, because that takes care of itself around here. It's not like I joined last month.

So yeah, there are anti-enforcers here.

Again, you are mischaracterizing my statement. I didn't say you don't support the team, I said you don't support the decisions they make that don't agree with your own. That's not exaggeration. That's what this whole thread has been about: "Babcock finally got that Holland's mind right! He's afraid of having enforcers!" That is exaggeration and it's coming from you and E_S_A_D.

If there indeed are anti-enforcers, they aren't in this thread, because no one here has said fighting has no place in the game. My position and those that have made similar point, is that if Holland thinks Williams is a better acquisition than Moen, I support him even if I thought Moen would be a valuable signing.