• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Pat

Expect Big Changes at the Trade Deadline

Rate this topic

Unless he wins the Norris (very good possibility) I see him taking a pay-cut (hometown discount). I think he'll get extended this year ($5 million), most likely before Christmas and I expect it to be either a one-year deal or a two-year deal.

My gut tells me it's one-year deals from here on out for Nicklas Lidstrom.

Who really knows though. :unsure:

I agree whole heartedly with this. $5 million sounds right on the button.

-Don't expect the Detroit Red Wings to do much trade-wise in the aftermath of the injury to Johan Franzen. The club wants to win but aren't going to do anything to jeopardize their future and won't sacrifice top picks or prospects for a short-term fix. LeBrun also notes the Wings have $16 million coming off their payroll next summer so they're in good position to make some moves then plus younger players like Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, Jonathan Ericsson and Jimmy Howard will get more playing time this season.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: That's why the Wings were among the NHL's top teams for the past 18 years, and why, if they should fall to the middle of the pack or worse this season because of injuries and the loss of offense, they won't spend years struggling to rebuild. Those cheering for the fall of the Red Wings this season should bear that in mind as it could only be for one season...if that even happens. Never count out the Red Wings, folks, they're the class of the NHL for a reason, and it's called wise management.

http://spectorshockey.net/index.php?option...rs&Itemid=4

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You can only exceed the cap while the player is on LTIR -- so unless Franzen is out for the entire regular season, the Wings are not going to be able to do much. They could bring in a player right now, but would have to trade him away the second Franzen comes back, as your LTIR salary cap buffer does not carry forward throughout the season.

Yes it might be a big trade deadline this year but maybe the other way this time. I mean we've got a lot of players that we could shop. Trade Bertuzzi - Williams - Holmstrom etc... some players we could get rid of in there last years. Make it into a re building season. We won't win anything this year ... you've read it here first.

Nobody is going to give up anything of value for an average player in the twilight of his career. And this is not NHL10, the Wings don't treat their players that way and trade them like groceries.

Guest Crymson
Yes it might be a big trade deadline this year but maybe the other way this time. I mean we've got a lot of players that we could shop. Trade Bertuzzi - Williams - Holmstrom etc... some players we could get rid of in there last years. Make it into a re building season. We won't win anything this year ... you've read it here first.

Teams do not rebuild when they are playoff-capable.

That's true, yeah. Who fits the bill then? Kovy makes, what, 300 million a year? :P Plus he'd demand a Hossa-like package in a trade, and the Pens sold their farm to get Hossa that year, which is something Holland would never do.

The differance is Kovy is worlds apart from Hossa, but I would not want Holland to sell the farm either. Atlanta would prolly want Filp and Leino in the deal plus picks

10-12M in cap space next season and with franzen out that gives us some cap room.

Look for a big name free agent to get traded here.

I read on here that w/ Franzen out we could sign a 2.5 million dollar player now and keep both on the roster when Franzen comes back.

Anyway, I think we have like 16 million in cap space next season, but we are losing a lot of contracts that need to be either replaced or resigned. And when you factor in Lidstrom, not so sure we will have much more than we had this offseason.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Plus, do you really see Detroit trading high drafts picks/prospects this trade deadline??

Yeah. If he's out for 75% of the season on LTIR then the Wings only have to count 25% of his salary against the cap.

In which case we could keep both players on the roster once Franzen returns?

Does that also mean that we would be able to add a player w/ a Cap hit of 2.95 million at the Deadline, or more/less??

Thanks Drake!

A player on LTIR still counts against the cap. I don't get why everyone thinks they don't. Where does this assumption come from?

With Chicago picking up Ebbett from Anaheim on waivers, I bet Detroit's super nervous and s***. Haha.

I don't see Detroit making any big splashes. Young season, let the boys get their s*** in order.

A player on LTIR still counts against the cap. I don't get why everyone thinks they don't. Where does this assumption come from?

Then please explain Lilja to us.

Then please explain Lilja to us.

If you are up against the cap and a player goes out on LTIR you are allowed to exceed the cap by that amount -- but only while that player is on LTIR.

You can only exceed the cap while the player is on LTIR -- so unless Franzen is out for the entire regular season, the Wings are not going to be able to do much. They could bring in a player right now, but would have to trade him away the second Franzen comes back, as your LTIR salary cap buffer does not carry forward throughout the season.

That's not exactly true. The team is allowed to exceed the cap by the player's cap hit while the player is on LTIR, but if they acquire a replacement player they do not have to get rid of that player specifically before the injured player can return.

For example, Abdelkader has been in Helm's place, so if the replacement had to be removed, he would have to go. While that is the likely result, it is not the only possible result that would allow Helm to return. They could send Leino down, or waive or trade a different forward. Helm could also come off LTIR and go immediately to Grand Rapids.

With Lilja, Meech started as the 7th defenseman and would thus be viewed as the 'replacement' for him. But while Meech will be an RFA at season's end and still has much improvement left in his career, the older, more expensive Lebda seems to have plateaued. Lebda will also be a UFA at the end of the year and has been outplayed by Meech so far this year. So while Meech was the roster replacement, Lebda is likely the guy who actually gets sent out.

Here is the way i see it.

We've replaced Hossa, Hudler and Sammy. Sammy and Williams are even IMO, You just get a less flashy version of Sammy with Wiliams. You dumped Hudler and replaced him with a better version in Leino. and you replaced Hossa with Bertuzzi. Obvioiusly a downgrade in the scoring dept. On the flip side he adds some sandpaper. he will get in your face and fight 1,2,3 times a year. He's not a OMFG physical, But he's enough. Just like Lilja was. Regardless he's a big body who will help us during a grinding playoff run again ;)

So we basically lost out on the Hossa part. I think we can all agree though. That having Hossa ruined the teams dynamics.. the teams chemisty. He played a very selfish game. Which is the reason why he isn't a super star the way Crosby and Datsyuk are. He's along the lines of Heatley and Koval..

So our team dynamics come back down to low scoring and responsible hockey. Then you plug in Abdelkader,Helm and Eaves. that is alot more scoring coming from your 3rd and 4th line. Val finally coming into his own. and a Defense that has Ericsson up full time. basically replacing Lilja, that adds more offense.

Sure we will miss Hossa's game breaking offense, But i think we'll be fine without it as a team committee. Boo Hoo we lost Franzen for the majority of the season. Which is a huge blow, I was a huge Franzen hater, i hate the way he plays. he plays like a coward. But I came into this season trying to watch without bias and i wasn't overwhelmed with hate. Lets hope that his Surgery goes well and he recovers well and can make some solid contribution come playoffs.

With that all said. No Franzen does hurt, so yeah, we probably wont finish #1-2.. But we'll make the playoffs. and Not being the considered the hands down favorite will bold well for our team IMO. Hopefully with the mule being out, It'll give insentive for Val and Ville to really shine.

Guest Crymson
The one change O am hoping for soon is the release of Brad McCrimmon....

I still think Mike Peca can help shore up the defensive side of the puck. He is without a job and would surely sign for $500,000....

Peca is as completely one-dimensional as Maltby and Draper, and we already have a logjam of prospects. What use could he have?

Guest Crymson
Rafalski's contract kills the Wings. If Lidstrom and Rafalski were making 4 million a season each (which they should be next year), the Wings would have 5 million more to sign another good forward.

I swear, you're just a troll. Go back to your team's board or find something else better to do with your time.

Wasn't he our summer acquisition (as Holland stated)... :)

How many time are we going to "acquire" him???

ROFLMAO!!

Good point my friend!