• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Holmstrom line

Rate this topic

Bert and Dats look like they're really starting to gel and Holmer screening the net with two guys on his line with accurate shots... I know last night was an anomaly (score wise) - but hopefully they continue to play this smooth... that could be a major resurgence for Bert

Edited by stevkrause

agreed, i think they'll start turning it around. i just thought it was funny how hitchcock earlier said he wants to make the wings bleed, and insted columbus gets destroyed by detroit haha

Bert and Dats look like they're really starting to gel and Holmer screening the newt with two guys on his line with accurate shots... I know last night was an anomaly (score wise) - but hopefully they continue to play this smooth... that could be a major resurgence for Bert

I agree, especially if Bertuzzi can start to bury his chances.

What the hell is a "newt" by the way?

Playing with Lidstrom-Rafalski on the blue line the majority of the time should really up the effectiveness of that line (not just for the obvious reasons). Given the fact that Bert likes to crash the net (where Homer also makes his living) it'll be extremely helpful for Dats to be able to move the puck between two smooth passing defensemen which is key to opening things up for Bert and Homer down low. Guys like Lebda, Stuart and E don't possess that level of natural instincts. Not to say they won't be dangerous, but this is when they'll be most effective given how that line is likely to play.

To be honest, everytime Bert fumbles a scoring chance I can only think of how awesome it would be if we had Franzen on that line instead.

But they have looked pretty good. Bert can make some dangerous behind-the-back passes and stuff like that, but he's been skating well and creating some room for Pavel. Homer is doing his thing, and doing it better than in a long time.

If Leino, Hank and Cleary can keep looking as good as they did last night we're in good shape.

Bert, currently is "on pace" for 15 goals, but considering how close he's been getting (posts, just wide, blocked, etc.) he's bound to get more than that. Also on pace for 41 points. I don't usually put stock in "on pace" but he seems pretty consistent this season, trying to hammer away those goals.

Edited by VM1138

When Datsyuk has a monster of a game like he did last night, any line he's on would look good.

there's the key. though i do think holmstrom has upped his level of play a ton compared to the last couple years. instead of just being a role player like he was for years, he is actually the one generating some good chances and goals.

i still think bertuzzi is a bum. that was great when he couldn't even put in those open net chances last night. if you look at his last 100 games, all those posts and near misses aren't indicative of him breaking out, they are indicative of a guy that just doesn't have a very good skill set anymore. as someone mentioned, wouldn't it be nice to have franzen there who could actually finish once in a while?

i still think bertuzzi is a bum. that was great when he couldn't even put in those open net chances last night. if you look at his last 100 games, all those posts and near misses aren't indicative of him breaking out, they are indicative of a guy that just doesn't have a very good skill set anymore. as someone mentioned, wouldn't it be nice to have franzen there who could actually finish once in a while?

While I think the jury is still out on Bert (no pun intended), I think he's been quite good. I know he's had D and Z as his linemates for most of the season but he's getting plenty of chances, he's just not finishing. He definitely doesn't have the shot that Franzen does, but he still has some hands and can control the puck down low because of his size. If he can start finishing on some of these chances, I think he's gonna surprise everyone. He's been hitting posts like crazy and coming soooo close to scoring, you have to chalk some of that up to bad luck whether you like him or not.

While I think the jury is still out on Bert (no pun intended), I think he's been quite good. I know he's had D and Z as his linemates for most of the season but he's getting plenty of chances, he's just not finishing. He definitely doesn't have the shot that Franzen does, but he still has some hands and can control the puck down low because of his size. If he can start finishing on some of these chances, I think he's gonna surprise everyone. He's been hitting posts like crazy and coming soooo close to scoring, you have to chalk some of that up to bad luck whether you like him or not.

but when is this going to ever change? he has been hitting posts and just missing pretty much since day 1 of the season. we are now a quarter of the way through the season and still waiting. as i have mentioned before, calgary fans are still waiting to see him get into a groove from last year.

sure the guy can put up an average amount of points. sure he isn't making too much relevant to the cap. but that doesn't change the fact that he is just not a very good player. as noted before, robert lang was a very similar player and was pretty much universally hated.

with all the injuries guys need to step it up. that doesn't mean hitting 4 posts a night instead of 2. that means actually finishing some plays and not turning the puck over so darn much.

there are 2 phrases i have heard way too much this year concerning bertuzzi: "wow what a horrible turnover on that back pass, he needs to just get it deep" and "he held that puck way too long, he has to make a pass/decision quicker"

but when is this going to ever change? he has been hitting posts and just missing pretty much since day 1 of the season. we are now a quarter of the way through the season and still waiting. as i have mentioned before, calgary fans are still waiting to see him get into a groove from last year.

sure the guy can put up an average amount of points. sure he isn't making too much relevant to the cap. but that doesn't change the fact that he is just not a very good player. as noted before, robert lang was a very similar player and was pretty much universally hated.

with all the injuries guys need to step it up. that doesn't mean hitting 4 posts a night instead of 2. that means actually finishing some plays and not turning the puck over so darn much.

there are 2 phrases i have heard way too much this year concerning bertuzzi: "wow what a horrible turnover on that back pass, he needs to just get it deep" and "he held that puck way too long, he has to make a pass/decision quicker"

A. We still have 4 more games before we're a quarter of the way through the season - a lot can happen in 4 games.

B. I'd rather have a guy hitting the post, than missing the net - he WILL start to bury them and he's still on pace for a 40+ pt season - not bad for 1.5 mil - let's not forget what he is at this stage, OR what we're paying him...

that sure would be an odd line - two slow guys who cant really skate or pass well with someone who is elite in that regard.

as for bertuzzi im expecting around 15 goals from him this season.

I absolutely hated this line at first for exactly that reason, I felt like Datsyuk needed at least one guy to sort of keep up with him to give him options and prevent him from trying to do too much.

Starting to come around though, because of the way Datsyuk sucks in the defense, yet can still get a pass through guys and on the tape. It's given Homer and Bert a lot of open ice and a lot of great looks that I don't think they'd be getting playing with anyone else, not even Z. One's buried a lot of these chances, one hasn't obviously, but I think that'll balance out over the course of the season.

No body get all excited about Bertuzzi. Yes he is off to a good start, but he will get injured because he is Bertuzzi and thats what he does. If he doesnt get injured for some magical reason, hell probably stay hot for a little more time and then cool down and then start dropping down the lines from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4. Hell get 40 pts max this season