• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Miller Brew

Chicago chants "Detroit Sucks" when Hawks play other teams?

Rate this topic

Cmon, Williams is not that big of a loss. Franzen and Flip, of course. Hawks have had to endure some injuries as well. Burish, not that huge of a loss, although he brings toughness and energy. Eager just got back 2 games ago. Dave Bolland will be out until the last couple weeks of the season and that is a huge loss, he is a great player for us and being down a second line center is big, even though Madden has been able to fit in nicely to that spot. Hossa hasn't played a game yet. Toews also missed a few games. Better have the injuries occur now than in the playoffs or right before the playoffs.

Jason Williams is our PP quarterback and our right hand shooter/sniper. Certainly a player we would like to have back to solidify our 2nd PP unit.

Don't forget our #1 goalie has been out, our #2 dman had some time out, our top rookie defensemen had spent some time out, Helm had some time out. Zetterberg suffered from a groin injury early on. Franzen is our 38-goals, which basically washes out Hossa on your team.

We can split hairs to determine who is suffering worse... but the bottom line is Red Wings are successful because of their superior depth.

Over done and used by everyone, but originating in Chicago. Defending my city is not embarassing. So since it makes you laugh, that makes it useless?

Originated in Chicago? You're sure of that? If so, you're proud of that? What is it exactly that you're defending? Something that was pretty dumb to do in the first place and should have died a quick death? The fact that they still holler it after Dino's been byebye for about a century doesn't get your attention?

You're not defending your city. You're defending an outworn, BORING, makes-the-yeller-look-stupid kind of action. Big frickin' deal.

I was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago and if I gave a crap, I would be embarrassed by your defense of such a dumb tradition, no matter who started it and no matter who keeps doing it.

Did you know Chicago chants "DETROIT SUCKS" when the Hawks are playing other teams? The Detroit Red Wings are not even in the building, why would they do this?

Source: s***cagonow

Personally, I think it's really classless to chance "insert.name.here sucks" chants no matter what teams are playing. I would never participate in this *if* it sparked at the Joe. Though I can't recollect "sucks" chants happening at the Joe....

Classless? You don't really know much about Chicago fans or sports fan in general do you?

I've been saying on here for years on here that they do this. I used to get mad about it and then I sat back and thought about how much it has to suck to be a Hawks fan.

Since I was kid I've had random stuff thrown at me, threatened to get my ass kicked, and heard a whole "classlessâ„¢" slew of words yelled like, "f*** Detroit" "Osgood sucks" "******* *******" "Your football team sucks" and my personal favorite, "Go back to Detroit" (because all Wings fans live inDetroit)

They also like to make fun of Detroit's economy and act superior when they are really feeling insecure. It's good stuff.

I wore my Osgood jersey while driving in downtown Chicago recently. I turned on Chelsea Dagger in the truck and when hawks fans would turn and start to join in, i'd wave at em and smile.

That was TOO FUNNY to see the stunned faces of Chicagoans downtown.

I have personal experience with "Detroit sucks" chants.

The best was at the Winter Classic, when the "Detroit sucks" chant was far, far louder than "let's go Hawks". Even funnier, "let's go Wings" was louder than both.

The second best was the Hawks game I went to on the 9th (vs LA). I happened to be wearing a Wings shirt (specifically the '08 Cup Champs shirt) and it took people around me three periods to notice; I was on my way back from the restroom and a buddy of mine started a "Detroit sucks" chant as I was coming up the stairs.

Instantly the entire section started chanting, quickly followed by half the UC. All I could do was laugh, since it was better (volume-wise) than any "let's go Hawks" chant that had been going all night.

Fans in Chicago are generally incredibly stupid. And yes, that's a fact.

Originated in Chicago? You're sure of that? If so, you're proud of that? What is it exactly that you're defending? Something that was pretty dumb to do in the first place and should have died a quick death? The fact that they still holler it after Dino's been byebye for about a century doesn't get your attention?

You're not defending your city. You're defending an outworn, BORING, makes-the-yeller-look-stupid kind of action. Big frickin' deal.

I was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago and if I gave a crap, I would be embarrassed by your defense of such a dumb tradition, no matter who started it and no matter who keeps doing it.

Pretty sure it did originate in Chicago. At least saying it everytime your in the building. I am proud of it. We HATE you and your team. Is that against the rules? We hate you so much we say you suck as much as possible. I see nothing wrong with it.

I was born on the South Side too. Where are you from?

Classless? You don't really know much about Chicago fans or sports fan in general do you?

I've been saying on here for years on here that they do this. I used to get mad about it and then I sat back and thought about how much it has to suck to be a Hawks fan.

Since I was kid I've had random stuff thrown at me, threatened to get my ass kicked, and heard a whole "classlessâ„¢" slew of words yelled like, "f*** Detroit" "Osgood sucks" "******* *******" "Your football team sucks" and my personal favorite, "Go back to Detroit" (because all Wings fans live inDetroit)

They also like to make fun of Detroit's economy and act superior when they are really feeling insecure. It's good stuff.

Are you sure it's not because you're a dork? Lol. All kidding aside, that is entirely new level of classless. I don't know anyone in my circle of friends that would ever humiliate or assault someone wearing an opposition jersey / sport wear.

When I was working in Denver I'd go to the sports bar to watch the Wings/Avs playoffs and never had a problem. I even sat at a table (and drank beer) with Colorado natives. Good times.

Edited by Miller Brew

I have personal experience with "Detroit sucks" chants.

The best was at the Winter Classic, when the "Detroit sucks" chant was far, far louder than "let's go Hawks". Even funnier, "let's go Wings" was louder than both.

The second best was the Hawks game I went to on the 9th (vs LA). I happened to be wearing a Wings shirt (specifically the '08 Cup Champs shirt) and it took people around me three periods to notice; I was on my way back from the restroom and a buddy of mine started a "Detroit sucks" chant as I was coming up the stairs.

Instantly the entire section started chanting, quickly followed by half the UC. All I could do was laugh, since it was better (volume-wise) than any "let's go Hawks" chant that had been going all night.

Fans in Chicago are generally incredibly stupid. And yes, that's a fact.

Not a snowball's chance in hell, pal. I don't know what you were listening to. You guys tried but theres no way you were louder. But, go ahead, tell yourself that.

Not a snowball's chance in hell, pal. I don't know what you were listening to. You guys tried but theres no way you were louder. But, go ahead, tell yourself that.

Even if you won being loud, you're still little brother whos been on the losing side of everything since, well, about 1961. I find the inferiority complex cute, personally.

Pretty sure it did originate in Chicago. At least saying it everytime your in the building. I am proud of it. We HATE you and your team. Is that against the rules? We hate you so much we say you suck as much as possible. I see nothing wrong with it.

I was born on the South Side too. Where are you from?

You hate the Wings. That is understandable, but not what the chant is. The chant is that Detroit sucks. Well, for the past 18 years Detroit has not sucked, and Chicago has had to watch Detroit skate away with the cup 4 times in the last twelve years. Your team on the other hand hasn't had a cup ring since 1961, and has had periods of sucking in the past two decades.

So what team does the chant really apply to? And should you really be proud of a chant that targets a team that doesn't apply?

You hate the Wings. That is understandable, but not what the chant is. The chant is that Detroit sucks. Well, for the past 18 years Detroit has not sucked, and Chicago has had to watch Detroit skate away with the cup 4 times in the last twelve years. Your team on the other hand hasn't had a cup ring since 1961, and has had periods of sucking in the past two decades.

So what team does the chant really apply to? And should you really be proud of a chant that targets a team that doesn't apply?

Its the other way around. I argue this with detroit people so much and they never can quite grasp it. The chant is detroit sucks not red wings suck. For the past well, 50 years I guess, detroit has sucked. For the past 15 years the Red Wings have been damn good. Since 1833 Chicago has been awesome. For the past 15 years the Hawks have sucked more than have been good.

Its the other way around. I argue this with detroit people so much and they never can quite grasp it. The chant is detroit sucks not red wings suck. For the past well, 50 years I guess, detroit has sucked. For the past 15 years the Red Wings have been damn good. Since 1833 Chicago has been awesome. For the past 15 years the Hawks have sucked more than have been good.

Man, how patriotic....

i used to go to chicago games back in early 2000's when there were more red wings fans than chicago fans, i just find it funny that every game i went to i always heard detroit sucks, but i rarely ever heard lets go hawks, i find it pretty comical that instead of rooting for your team and cheering for them chicago fans would rather chant detroit sucks.

Edited by redwings4life

I'm sorry If I misunderstood, but you are proud of cheering on the decline of one of the most important cities in US history?

I'm sorry If I misunderstood, but you are proud of cheering on the decline of one of the most important cities in US history?

Ahh you're gonna play this card. Are you gonna try to tell me detroit saved the world because they supplied all the military vehicles for the US during WWII? Please do, I could use a laugh.

Ahh you're gonna play this card. Are you gonna try to tell me detroit saved the world because they supplied all the military vehicles for the US during WWII? Please do, I could use a laugh.

I'm not playing any "card", I'm just trying to understand the mindset in enjoying seeing a decline of a US city. Especially as a US citizen. I'm not saying Detroit made the US or anything or even more important then Chicago, but it was great city in it's time and seeing were it is now should be depressing to every US citizen...

Edited by Carman

I'm not playing any "card", I'm just trying to understand the mindset in enjoying seeing a decline of a US city. Especially as a US citizen. I'm not saying Detroit made the US or anything or even more important then Chicago, but it was great city in it's time and seeing were it is now should be depressing to every US citizen...

You expect the country to feel sorry for you? Not gonna happen. Its called hate. Chicago hates detroit. We aren't gonna feel bad because your economy blows. Chicago's economy isnt great either. Deal with it.

You expect the country to feel sorry for you? Not gonna happen. Its called hate. Chicago hates detroit. We aren't gonna feel bad because your economy blows. Chicago's economy isnt great either. Deal with it.

Wow. Who says there's no sense of community in America?

So Hawks fans go to hockey games to chant "Detroit Sucks" even when they're not playing Detroit for a political statement? Is that what you are trying to sell?

I don't know, but I find it a bit anti-American that people in America enjoy watching a city struggle and express joy when people in the U.S. are suffering. But that's just me.

I think I could handle Red Wings haters over anti-Americans. Did Chicago people find great enjoyment over the 9/11 tragedy too? Just curious.

Edited by Miller Brew

I seriously doubt a guy from Chicago with "Honda" as part of his moniker is gonna have any sympathy for the US auto industry in the metro Detroit area.

True enough. Damn me for having faith in a person from Chicago to show maturity.

I just don't get why a city "hates" another one. Was there a certain incident that happened? Sorry, I'm not exactly new to the area, but have only lived in the area for about 12 years now(Moved from England).

Wow! You have hate for a city? What did Detroit do to you that was so bad to feel this strong of hate for a city in the United States? Kind of Anti-American to hate and enjoy suffering.

Disgusting!

True enough. Damn me for having faith in a person from Chicago to show maturity.

I just don't get why a city "hates" another one. Was there a certain incident that happened? Sorry, I'm not exactly new to the area, but have only lived in the area for about 12 years now(Moved from England).

I don't think he's aware of what he's really saying. If you were to talk to some other people from Chicago I'm sure they'd display more empathy.

Chicago will always hate Detroit, just like Boston will always hate New York, Wisconsin and Minnesota, Michigan and Ohio State, and so on. Sure, it's immature and pretty stupid to chant "_____ sucks!" at games (as is trying to stir up troulbe on an opposing fans' message board), but to each their own. It would be a lie to suggest that Chicago isn't jealous of the Red Wings success, but honda's attitude that Chicagoians (sp) would laugh if a nuclear bomb blew up Detroit is pretty lame, and make it harder for his statements to be taken with any ounce of seriousness.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

I don't think he's aware of what he's really saying. If you were to talk to some other people from Chicago I'm sure they'd display more empathy.

I agree. Though I never been to Chicago, but you can't judge an entire group on one clown who hates America. This person seems to have issues.