• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I hate shootouts

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut
We'd love the SO if the Wings didn't constantly suck in them.

You obviously didn't read the thread.

Shootouts are bad for hockey, good for highlight reels that the NHL doesn't get money for.

Functionally its absolutely terrible, but its entertainment value is close to unbeatable.

This.

IMO it's just a means to an end. If the alternate to a shootout is a tie then I say bring on the shootout. The game has to end at some point so awarding each team at least a point with an extra point going to the team that performs better under the pressure seems like a decent way to handle things. I like how it's currently done.

No game should be decided by a skills contest. It's a team effort. Let them do 4 on 4 for 10 minutes then 3 on 3 for 5minutes. If nobody's won by then, it's a tie. While I like watching shootouts and how Dats can baffle a goalie, a game shouldn't be decided that way. That's just my opinion...I could be wrong :D

Agreed with these points:

1) It's just part of the "new" NHL that probably will not be going away. It does attract new fans and it is exciting, I'm not going to lie.

2) Overtime should be 10 minutes and shootouts should have 5 shooters.

3) As long as it stays the hell out of the playoffs, whatever. That's all I care about.

Think about hardcore soccer enthusiasts. They hate when huge games in the World Cup and what not get decided by penalty kicks. As long as I never see it in May or June, it's the only thing that Bettman will ever get right.

No game should be decided by a skills contest. It's a team effort. Let them do 4 on 4 for 10 minutes then 3 on 3 for 5minutes. If nobody's won by then, it's a tie. While I like watching shootouts and how Dats can baffle a goalie, a game shouldn't be decided that way. That's just my opinion...I could be wrong :D

Dats can baffle a goalie anytime, whether its 1v1, 4v4 or 5v5 (avatar is perfect example :D). Either way, the way I see it is having someone like Dats on our team always gives us the advantage when their is more ice to play with in OT.

Edited by darkmanx

The shootout is a pretty s***ty way to decide the winner of a team sport. I could care less how "oh but its exciting" it is. Its like deciding a tie baseball game on a home run derby and don't even get me started on all that overtime garbage. Taking away players to make it 4v4 3v3 etc. What other sport do you see stuff like this happen? Its freaking retarded. Its like saying "well we need to hurry up and get this baseball game over with, lets remove the outfield. That should speed things up." WTF....

The shootout is a pretty s***ty way to decide the winner of a team sport. I could care less how "oh but its exciting" it is. Its like deciding a tie baseball game on a home run derby and don't even get me started on all that overtime garbage. Taking away players to make it 4v4 3v3 etc. What other sport do you see stuff like this happen? Its freaking retarded. Its like saying "well we need to hurry up and get this baseball game over with, lets remove the outfield. That should speed things up." WTF....

Agreed.

Though as for the 4 on 4 OT, I'd take that for 10 minutes if it meant not having the shootout. It is at least in the spirit of the game and not a skill competition.

Having the players jump through rings of fire would be pretty exciting too, but it's no way to decide a hockey game.

Maybe we could make everybody happy by having the game end in a tie- one point for each team, but having the shootout just for s***s&giggles and bragging rights.

Or we could just play out the overtime till someone wins. Kinda like just about every other sport on the planet. But for some reason this idea is unfathomable to NHL brass.

Edited by Original-Six

I know this would never happen but I think it would be interesting if, instead of shootouts, the game went to a 5 on 3 situation for two minutes after overtime. If you score on the 5 on 3 you win, if you kill the 5 on 3 you win. IMO it would have the same excitement level as a shootout but it would make it a lot more of a team effort. Also I am totally in favor of the 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an overtime win system.

I know this would never happen but I think it would be interesting if, instead of shootouts, the game went to a 5 on 3 situation for two minutes after overtime. If you score on the 5 on 3 you win, if you kill the 5 on 3 you win. IMO it would have the same excitement level as a shootout but it would make it a lot more of a team effort. Also I am totally in favor of the 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an overtime win system.

And how do you decided if you skated 5 on 3? This would never work, teams won't get mad if they always got stuck with 3 players out on the ice.

Or we could just play out the overtime till someone wins. Kinda like just about every other sport on the planet.

Or we could just play out the overtime till someone wins. Kinda like just about every other sport on the planet. But for some reason this idea is unfathomable to NHL brass.

Yeah, but unfortunately, the major TV networks have a time frame that they like for the games to fit into. If a game goes over that, they have a hissy. Since the Great and Powerful Bettman has managed to secure contracts with such major networks (NBC in the afternoon on Sundays if there's no football), we are stuck trying to fit the game into their little time frame.

I'd rather play until someone wins too, but I'd rather see a shootout than have the game cut off in overtime because they don't want to upset people tuning in for Dynasty reruns- or whatever they show on the channels that Bettman works out a contract with next.

And how do you decided if you skated 5 on 3? This would never work, teams won't get mad if they always got stuck with 3 players out on the ice.

Home team picks. Also would they get mad? I don't know the statistics but your odds of scoring on a 5 on 3 are probably about 50/50, some teams might choose to try and kill it.