• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

thedatsyukian

Jakub Kindl called up from Grand Rapids

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...ian_rafals.html

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings' injury list continues to expand.

Forward Patrick Eaves will sit out his second straight game, Thursday against Edmonton at Joe Louis Arena, due to a sore left ankle. Defenseman Brian Rafalski also could miss the game, due to a sore back. Rafalski's back stiffened up on him 10 minutes into practice, forcing him to leave.

Coach Mike Babcock said Jakub Kindl would be recalled from Grand Rapids (AHL) if Rafalski can't play. The club has an extra forward to fill in for Eaves, who is day-to-day after skating over a rut in the ice during Monday's morning skate. Eaves said X-rays revealed no damage.

Kindl has one goal, a team-leading 11 assists and a minus-2 rating in 19 games with the Griffins. The Red Wings' first-round pick in 2005, he has yet to play in an NHL game.

“He’s a good player, he can move the puck, he’s 6-foot-3, he can skate,'' Babcock said. "One day he’s got to be an NHL player.''

In an effort to spark Pavel Datsyuk, Babcock switched Todd Bertuzzi and Ville Leino in practice.

“I switched Homer (Tomas Holmstrom) and Leino last game, then today I moved Bert and Leino,'' Babcock said. "Just trying to find someone for Pav to get him going.''

Here are the lines they skated with:

Leino-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Cleary

Draper-Helm-Miller

May-Abdelkader-Maltby

Lidstrom-Ericsson

Stuart-Lebda

Meech-Lilja (out)

Howard (starting)

Osgood

I am so, so PUMPED at the possibility of Kindl making his debut. I've followed his progress probably closer than anyone since he was drafted, I kind of feel as though I've been on the journey with him. :P

How about you try Zetterberg to spark Pav? Geez. Leino on a 1st line is a ****** joke.

I have to agree, Leino doesn't even belong in the line-up right now let alone on the top line. Such a disappointment. I can't wait until Flip is back to put him on Dats' wing, finally someone with skill and speed.

Yep, Kindl is getting molded into Raflaski's clone. The only way he'll find his way on the roster.

Hopefully Eaves and Rafalski get better soon, but their injuries don't sound too bad.

The club has an extra forward to fill in for Eaves, who is day-to-day after skating over a rut in the ice during Monday's morning skate.

Jeez, no luck if not bad luck. Remember when Kronwall broke his leg skating over a rut in a pregame warm up? Tough to imagine something as innocent as skating around like that can turn into such a disaster.

Why does he keep going back to putting poisonstrom on Datsyuk's line?

Funny how Pavel has 20 points in 24 games, but needs to "get going".

As soon as they get Helm with Datsyuk, the sparks will start to fly. For some reason, the coach of the decade can't figure out that Pavel could use a little speed to open up some ice.

I think leino can think the game to play well with Pavel, but I'm not sure he can keep up with him. Not that bertuzzi could either. It just sucks that Pavel always seems to have the worlds slowest skaters on his line. Now he has 2 of them.

I think Leino will work better with Dastyuk than Bert did, but still not wild about it. It'd be nice if we had at least ONE complete line to play with.

Looking forward to see what Kindl can do, however they're not gonna give him enough time to earn a spot this year. Wouldn't mind him as a replacement for Lebda.

As soon as they get Helm with Datsyuk, the sparks will start to fly. For some reason, the coach of the decade can't figure out that Pavel could use a little speed to open up some ice.

I actually kind of agree with you on this one. Problem is helm has hands made of stone and it won't do pavs any good to have someone on his line who can't finish. Babs needs to have helm do that drill like they did in mighty ducks and pass an egg around lol.

I'd like to see abby get a shot with pavs personally. He is a power forward in the making and would be great for his development to play with a guy like pavs or hank to see if he can handle a top six role. Leino is just a waste of a roster spot

I agree with that first part. I thought the lines looked good last time with Leino with Datsyuk and Bertuzi, and Homer with Hank and Cleary. Datsyuk seems to play better without Homer, And Zeterberg still looked pretty effective with Homer and Cleary (who had a goal).

But they are not going to put Helm on a line with Datsyuk because it makes 0 sense. I like Helm a lot and think he is an awesome player, but he is a grinder, not a scorer. He proved that in the St. Louis game when he missed 3 WIDE OPEN nets. His speed will only take him so far on a first line until Datsyuk sets him up and he can't finish. Last game, his goal went right into Turco before going in the net. He had the whole net (literally) and still shot it into Turco. The only reason it went in was because he was so close. The point being is that he is NOT a first line player.

I like the way Leino has played lately and I've been wanting Babs to try him on Pav's line for a while.

In a perfect world everyone would be healthy and we could play Hank and Pav together, but now we can't really do that without having 3 terribly weak lines.

@Matt - put the "Grand Rapid Red Wings" banner from 2003 (I believe) back ;)

thanks.

this is really getting worse and worse. good thing is that the guys will have some less

fatigue of the regular season and we get to see our prospects in NHL action.

bad thing however is a concern whether guys coming back from injuries will find

their groove in April

I have to agree, Leino doesn't even belong in the line-up right now let alone on the top line. Such a disappointment. I can't wait until Flip is back to put him on Dats' wing, finally someone with skill and speed.

Babcock and Henrik Zetterberg disagree with you

Besides that, Leino looked great with Datsyuk and Bertuzzi last game (Bert scored after Leino was moved onto his line). He was actually playing Holmstrom's role a little bit and standing in front of the goalie. I wonder if Babcock is trying to teach him the deflection technique our team knows so well :lol:

Edited by skyphoenix

im interested in seeing the new lines. anything to get more goals makes me happy

but 2 danglers and a screener? whos gonna shoot lmao

look for z line to have 95% of the shots every game between bert and z

who knows maybe itll work out but i bet within 10 mins of the first lines will go back to the way they were

how aboutttt

dats z homer

bert abs cleary

leino helm miller

malt draper may

even though draper helm and miller have been good. leino isnt a 4th line player and no one else center besdies draper

Bertuzzi is going to set up a couple goals for Zetterberg.

Bertuzzi had to carry Datsyuk for the last couple weeks. All Bertuzzi needs is a sniper and then watch the point totals sky rocket.

I wonder how long it will take before Babs puts Abdelkader into the top line rotation. He's the only player that I think could actually not only benefit from playing with Pavs development-wise, but also fills the need on the top line. He's earned it more than Leino has, that's for sure.

And I'm excited for Kindl to come up, never saw him play before.

I'd like to see Kindl play at some point too, but a third pairing consisting of him and Meech......Jesus. You know what would be nice? If half our defensive-core that would've started the season for us wasn't out tomorrow night.

Lidstrom-Ericsson

Stuart-Lebda

Meech-Kindl (Likely)

Quite a bit different than:

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lilja-Ericsson

I'd like to see Kindl play at some point too, but a third pairing consisting of him and Meech......Jesus. You know what would be nice? If half our defensive-core that would've started the season for us wasn't out tomorrow night.

Lidstrom-Ericsson

Stuart-Lebda

Meech-Kindl (Likely)

Quite a bit different than:

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lilja-Ericsson

Well hopefully if Kindl plays he has a solid Janik-like debut.

It's official.

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/20...dl_who_cou.html

"I'm actually shocked, you know? Yesterday we lost and I didn't play my best game," Kindl said. "I didn't expect it at all. I don't know what to say."

Kindl, the Red Wings' first-round pick in the 2005 NHL draft, was recalled because defenseman Brian Rafalski left Red Wings practice after skating for only 10 minutes because his sore back stiffened up. If Rafalski can't play Thursday night against Edmonton at Joe Louis Arena, Kindl will make his NHL debut.

Kindl leads the Griffins with 11 assists, to go with one goal and a minus-2 rating in 19 games.

He has experience playing with the Red Wings in preseason games, and he also served as a "Black Ace" during the past two postseasons. While Kindl would have preferred a better game to serve as his springboard to Detroit, he's eager to hit the ice.

"I was plus-2 before the game and now I'm minus-2," Kindl said. "And it's going to be even harder up there. I'm definitely going to have to really focus, play simple and wait for an opportunity.

"I don't know what to say other than I'm really excited."

Edited by titanium2

Exciting! Can't wait to see Kindl get a shot. He has to play in Detroit next season because he loses his waiver exemption after this season, so they have to get a look soon.

It'll be interesting to see if his defensive play is acceptable or not. It might be during a call-up because he'll be playing in that extra gear you see when a kid is trying to earn a spot, but in the long run it will be entertaining to see how the people who complain about Ericsson's rookie mistakes react to Kindl's defensive missteps. Ericsson's averaging one turn-over a game and getting s*** on for it (despite the fact that the top four d-men on the team average about the same aside from Rafalski who's got more than one a game)... just image how someone who wasn't defensively dominant in the AHL will be treated. :lol:

Kindl will look great on the second PP-- his offensive instincts are excellent and he's got a great shot.

I'm thinking the PP pairings will be:

Lidstrom-Ericsson

Stuart-Kindl

I doubt Babs would put too kids on the same pairing for the PP and at this point he'll have a hard time looking Ericsson in the eye and saying he won't get PP time with Kronwall and Rafalski out. :lol: Hopefully this should force his hand with Ericsson.

Bertuzzi is going to set up a couple goals for Zetterberg.

Bertuzzi had to carry Datsyuk for the last couple weeks. All Bertuzzi needs is a sniper and then watch the point totals sky rocket.

:lol: You love trolling these people, don't you?