• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Inultus

Lidstrom with worst shooting percentage - just sad

Rate this topic

the defense/penalty kill has been excellent thanks to Nick and Stuart.

Actually Babcock said the PK has been better due to the role player/grinder guys such as Eaves and Abby.

Also, hard as it may be for me to say because I love the guy, Lidstrom has played almost half the season now with 1 goal (an accidental goal) and even though he is awesome defensively, he has to also put the puck in the net to make the kind of money he's making. I think he knows that, the question is how does it change?

Or, if he really is hurting too much to shoot well, take less money.

The fact that Lids takes up 25 minutes of ice time every night makes it even harder to swallowthat he still only has 1 goal. He isn't Brad May - he's in the lineup to contribute in a big way on offense and defense. He isn't doing what's expected of him. He needs to play Lidstrom level hockey or stop making Lidstrom level money. He was great and that's awesome, but he hasn't been great this year. He needs to snap the f*** out of it and soon. There is no nicer way to put it. He is a great player, now he needs to play great hockey.

Last time I checked the reason Lidstrom is making Lidstrom-level money is because his contract deemed it to be so. I doubt Lidstrom (if he was a FA over last off-season) would ask for a 7 million dollar contract based on this play.

If there is an injury then it really doesn't make much difference how much he is making. "Snapping" out of it isn't exactly a simple step at that point.

I watched Lidstrom live at the 12/23 game against Chicago, and it just strikes you how slow he is. He's probably been pretty slow for years, but since he's Nick Lidstrom, you rarely see him in a situation where he has to even try to skate hard. His shot was never really that HARD, it was more the fact that he was so accurate with it, fired it effortlessly off the one-timer, and had tons of help in front from Holmer and Franzen.

If Chris Chelios can be even a serviceable NHL defenseman at age 45, then Lidstrom can still be an elite defensive player at Age 40. But we need to acknowledge not only that Lidstrom is getting older, but that he (perhaps almost as much as someone like Chris Osgood) is the beneficiary of the Red Wings system (which has been broken this year due to loss of players and injuries). In other words, Lidstrom has never been Mike Green deking around 2 guys and scoring en route to a 30-goal season. Lidstrom's goals usually come after extended Wings possessions on power plays, thanks to the cycling of the skill players and the interference by Holmstrom and Franzen in front. With those piece no longer functioning as usual, it's not really shocking that his pedestrian slap shots from the point aren't going in.

Guest micah
If there is an injury then it really doesn't make much difference how much he is making. "Snapping" out of it isn't exactly a simple step at that point.

"If" there is an injury then maybe he should rest durring the Olympic break, as we're going to need him healthy "if" we make the playoffs.

Guest micah
I watched Lidstrom live at the 12/23 game against Chicago, and it just strikes you how slow he is. He's probably been pretty slow for years, but since he's Nick Lidstrom, you rarely see him in a situation where he has to even try to skate hard. His shot was never really that HARD, it was more the fact that he was so accurate with it, fired it effortlessly off the one-timer, and had tons of help in front from Holmer and Franzen.

If Chris Chelios can be even a serviceable NHL defenseman at age 45, then Lidstrom can still be an elite defensive player at Age 40. But we need to acknowledge not only that Lidstrom is getting older, but that he (perhaps almost as much as someone like Chris Osgood) is the beneficiary of the Red Wings system (which has been broken this year due to loss of players and injuries). In other words, Lidstrom has never been Mike Green deking around 2 guys and scoring en route to a 30-goal season. Lidstrom's goals usually come after extended Wings possessions on power plays, thanks to the cycling of the skill players and the interference by Holmstrom and Franzen in front. With those piece no longer functioning as usual, it's not really shocking that his pedestrian slap shots from the point aren't going in.

I dunno man, I used to think his slapper was pretty f'n special. I think he's lost that, although I don't see the drop in speed that you see. I never thought he was fast, in fact I always thought he always looked kinda slow - he was just smart enough that he didn't need to be fast to play his game.

Lidstrom's shooting percentage is 1.1%, that's just plain sad. Of players that have played any significant number of games he is dead last, excepting May, but if we have to start comparing May and Lidstrom something is really wrong.

I know that he's hurt, but still...

when Lebda and Meech are scoring more than your #1 defenseman we need a change. I don't know what the deal is, but he is playing 25 minutes a game and I just can't believe he only has 1 goal after playing in every single game this year.

While Lidstrom has struggled, benching him is not an option.

And it's news to me that he'd be hurt right now, unless you are talking about the sore elbow.

Since I'll round up 2 more games, statistically he's on pace for 2 goals, 28 assists, obviously. If he can step it up in the second half of the season, I estimate he could end up finishing around 7-10 goals and 35-40 assists. That wouldn't be bad for an old-timer.

BTW, how soon are we to seeing Kronwall return?

It's a tribute to how soft the local media coverage is that not a single sports columnist or radio show host has even discussed the fact that Lidstrom has completely stopped scoring points. In Toronto or Montreal, it would be a front page story every day until something changed.

It's a tribute to how soft the local media coverage is that not a single sports columnist or radio show host has even discussed the fact that Lidstrom has completely stopped scoring points. In Toronto or Montreal, it would be a front page story every day until something changed.

I don't think they've mentioned Lidstrom's name once on espn the last 5 years.

As far as local media goes, that I don't know, since I don't live in Detroit.

It's a tribute to how soft the local media coverage is that not a single sports columnist or radio show host has even discussed the fact that Lidstrom has completely stopped scoring points.

You do realize he is still tied for defenseman scoring, right? Sure, Rafs has played a few more games, but still, he's clearly not completely stopped scoring points.stopped

In Toronto or Montreal, it would be a front page story every day until something changed.

In Toronto or Montreal they would have had him burned at the stake by now. Thankfully, we treat our captain and best player of the last decade with a little more respect than those all knowing hockey hotbeds.

Actually Babcock said the PK has been better due to the role player/grinder guys such as Eaves and Abby.

Also, hard as it may be for me to say because I love the guy, Lidstrom has played almost half the season now with 1 goal (an accidental goal) and even though he is awesome defensively, he has to also put the puck in the net to make the kind of money he's making. I think he knows that, the question is how does it change?

Or, if he really is hurting too much to shoot well, take less money.

Agreed on Eaves, Abdelkader and Miller too boosting the PK. However, you still have to give major credit to Nick and Stuart as well. Kronwall and Ericsson both kill penalties usually and both are out. Rafalski can be used on the PK, although more out of necessity than actual merit. That leaves Nick and Stuart to pick up the bulk of the PK minutes on the defensive end.

Regarding taking less money, that doesn't matter right now because he is under contract. When the time comes, I am sure Nick and the Red Wings will agree to a fair deal provided Nick still wants to play.

You do realize he is still tied for defenseman scoring, right? Sure, Rafs has played a few more games, but still, he's clearly not completely stopped scoring points.

You do realize Nick Lidstrom is 72nd in PPG for defenseman, right? And tied for 125th in goals, right? Clearly he is not playing well. That said Lidstrom deserves the benefit of the doubt, he's been the league's best defenseman for a long time and that talent doesn't just disappear.

.....Or be honest with the team and to media and announce that he has been battling elbow tendinitis for a few years and still has it and therefore can't perform to the best of his abilities and causes pain when she shoots and also affect his accuracy and power in the slapshot.

Now he just told he has had tendinitis but it's alot better and he will be fine.... He's not being honest to us fans

everybody has to slow down at some point in there career hes getting up there in age playing against faster stronger players it happens to all the great players and I honestly think that this is lids last year