• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/7 GDT: Red Wings 2 at Kings 1

Rate this topic

I understand what you're saying about Rafalski. That some of us over-react about his play. So I thought about my own reactions and I've decided I really wasn't looking to zero in on him or anybody else concerning iffy play, because I know in my heart it's a team game. But jeeezusss, how many times does he have to shoot the puck into an opponent's feets; or give the damn thing away before he learns to take one more millisecond to scope out the area? It's almost always the same type of mistake that he makes. Over and over and over and...

...AAAACK....! .....EEEEEK!....

Peace out.

No one said he wasn't aggravating :P

I was reluctant to write Leino off, but not anymore. He looks like an amature playing in a professional league. He simple can't skate and can't stay on his feet, takes bad shots, never makes a play. He's constantly looked like our worst forward on the ice, and that's not saying much when you got other rookies like Abdelkader, who hasn't looked great thus far but at least he's effective at times.

Ouch, unpleasant game to watch, kings got 50shots... howard was swimming all over the ice... just can't believe how they maanged to win... helms goal was very lucky and quick made a mistake... happy for 2pts no doubt, but everyone know they can't play like this...maybe it will come back to haunt the wings, they also didn't deserve the 3-1 win against vancouver and we all know what happend the games after that........

You can praise howard all you want but its the Dmen and forwards down low who helps him in every situation with his huge rebounds and poor stick work.. just saying

Bulls***. He has a .927 save percentage. Compare this to Cristobal Huet is playing for the team with the lowest GAA in the league. Huet's save % ranks him 22nd in the league among goaltenders. Howard is playing with a mediocre defensive team and is 5th in the league in save %.

It's not just the guys playing in front of him

you can't expect anything less... That guy loves to complain about everything

Good to see you're one of my avid readers. :thumbup:

All my complaints were justified. This team has stood around now for two games in a row. Last night they won because Howard stood on his head, which he didn't do in Anaheim.

At some point, these top players are gonna have to take over on the other side of the ice. Last night was a great 2 points, but it's hard to feel confident about the future the way this team played. Bad effort from all but a few players.

Good to see you're one of my avid readers. :thumbup:

All my complaints were justified. This team has stood around now for two games in a row. Last night they won because Howard stood on his head, which he didn't do in Anaheim.

At some point, these top players are gonna have to take over on the other side of the ice. Last night was a great 2 points, but it's hard to feel confident about the future the way this team played. Bad effort from all but a few players.

Agreed. It's great to get the two points, especially when they didn't deserve it.

I think the GDT is also an appropriate place to talk about why they looked like boys among men out there, and not just celebrate the win.

Agreed. It's great to get the two points, especially when they didn't deserve it.

I think the GDT is also an appropriate place to talk about why they looked like boys among men out there, and not just celebrate the win.

If I felt like they were improving, it'd be different, but they're not.

They've been terrible two games in a row, and the PP continues to struggle. On top of that, Homer goes down and the top line isn't scoring anymore.

This team needs to bring it every game if they want to make the playoffs. They can't afford to take any nights off, and yet that's what I saw last night and the night before, and it is disheartening.

People are acting like Howard is going to do this every night. I don't think any goalie can. I figured they'd be fired up after Babcock called them out for the Anaheim game, yet nothing of the sort occured.

If I felt like they were improving, it'd be different, but they're not.

They've been terrible two games in a row, and the PP continues to struggle. On top of that, Homer goes down and the top line isn't scoring anymore.

This team needs to bring it every game if they want to make the playoffs. They can't afford to take any nights off, and yet that's what I saw last night and the night before, and it is disheartening.

People are acting like Howard is going to do this every night. I don't think any goalie can. I figured they'd be fired up after Babcock called them out for the Anaheim game, yet nothing of the sort occured.

Of all those points the lack of compete level disturbs me most. You can blame the PP troubles on the lack of sufficient personnel on the 2nd PP unit, but nothing excuses the lack of compete at this point in the season. What other motivation could they ask for?

Not to say that the PP has been doing well, because it hasn't, but in fairness to it there have been a couple goals in the last couple games that have been scored just after it expired -- Cleary's last night, Homer's a few nights ago. They just need to score a few seconds earlier so the record-keepers can give them credit. :P

The Red Wings are 2 for 41 on the power play over their last 11 games. Insanely bad.

Glad to have the 2 pts but this isn't going to cut it by any means.

2 for 41? :blink:

I was hoping it only felt that terrible... but damn, man, that's horrible.

Hopefully once Zetterberg gets back up to game speed things will improve.

The big problem here lays in how bad our 2nd PP's back end is. Stuart has been playing amazing this year but he's no Kronwall. And Meech? Well he's Meech.

Guest mindfly

Zetterberg was pretty horrible last night, he MUST get better tomorrow or we will be screwed

Of all those points the lack of compete level disturbs me most. You can blame the PP troubles on the lack of sufficient personnel on the 2nd PP unit, but nothing excuses the lack of compete at this point in the season. What other motivation could they ask for?

I know I'll be attacked for this, but this team didn't compete in games 6 and 7 of the SCF last year until late in those games, so the problem of competing for 60 minutes is nothing new with this team. How do you expect them to get up for these games, if they couldn't get up for those games in the most important part of the season. Not surprising, quite honestly.

It starts with the leaders, though, because great players are supposed to bring it every night. Ours haven't this year, even when they've been healthy.

I know I'll be attacked for this, but this team didn't compete in games 6 and 7 of the SCF last year until late in those games, so the problem of competing for 60 minutes is nothing new with this team. How do you expect them to get up for these games, if they couldn't get up for those games in the most important part of the season. Not surprising, quite honestly.

It starts with the leaders, though, because great players are supposed to bring it every night. Ours haven't this year, even when they've been healthy.

I don't think you should take much flak for that considering that it's true.

Zetterberg was pretty horrible last night, he MUST get better tomorrow or we will be screwed

He wasn't his usual self, but saying he's horrible is overstating it. I'd say he had an average first game back. I'm sure he and Cleary don't have their game legs back quite yet.

What I liked from both of them is that Zetterberg was taking the puck down the middle a few times like he always does. I love that he's not afraid to go into high traffic areas. this team needs that. And Cleary's goal came from crashing the net. Something else this team desperately needs.

Too many nights they make goalies look like Vezina contenders because they take wrist shots from 45 feet out and there's no one around to whack at the rebound, especially now with Homer out.

helm continues to come up big in tight situations, while clearys last second goal was a testament to his hard working, clutch abilities that we have dearly missed. i think zetterberg had a good game, especially for being his first back. im excited to see if him, dats, and bert will develop chemistry, they could be lethal especially with bert becoming more and more willing to post up in front of the net. while we did get outshot, you have to consider the fact that the kings are a very strong shot blocking team. you can attribute some of those to the wings just picking wrong shots, but the kings definitely stopped alot of them from getting to the net. also, the multiple power plays we gave the kings didnt help towards the total either. but alas, we've had many games over the years where we outshoot the opponents by a rediculous amount and still came up with a loss, its nice to be on the other side of that for once. this game was a tribute to us having to switch to more defensive minded hockey, not run and gun offense, and finally a game stolen by our goalie.

Game Stats

Scoring Summary

Red Wings

1) Cleary (8) @ 19:59 1st Period, Even Strength; Assists from Filppula (6) and Rafalski (16)

2) Helm Street (7) @ 19:42 3rd Period, Even Strength; Assists from Draper (8) and Eaves (7)

Kings

1) Smyth (13) @ 15:38 3rd Period, Power Play; Assists from Brown (20) and Stoll (17)

Penalty Summary

Red Wings (5 penalties for 10 minutes)

1) Datsyuk @ 04:11 2nd Period, 2 minutes for intereference

2) The Todd @ 17:46 2nd Period, 2 minutes for hooking

3) Datsyuk @ 03:24 3rd Period, 2 minutes for tripping

4) Abdelkader @ 09:35 3rd Period, 2 minutes for roughing

5) The Todd @ 15:19 3rd Period, 2 minutes for hooking

Kings (3 penalties for 6 minutes)

1) Doughty @ 17:55 1st Period, 2 minutes for hooking

2) Ivanans @ 02:43 3rd Period, 2 minutes for holding

3) Stoll @ 09:35 3rd Period, 2 minutes for roughing

Power Plays

Red Wings

5v4: 0-2 for 02:41 minutes

5v3: None

4v3: None

Total: 0-2 for 02:41 minutes

Kings

5v4: 1-4 for 05:00 minutes

5v3: None

4v3: None

Total: 1-4 for 05:00 minutes

Even Strength

Red Wings

5v5: 2-7 for 49:00 minutes

4v4: 0-2 for 03:19 minutes

3v3: None

Total: 2-9 for 52:19 minutes

Kings

5v5: 0-7 for 49:00 minutes

4v4: 0-2 for 03:19 minutes

3v3: None

Total: 0-9 for 52:19 minutes

Goaltender Summary

Red Wings

Jimmy Howard (W)

Time On Ice: EV: 52:16 minutes, PP: 02:41 minutes, SH: 05:00 minutes, Total: 59:57 minutes

Goals-Shots Against: 1st Period: 0-10, 2nd Period: 0-27, 3rd Period: 1-15, Total: 1-52

Empty Net Time: EV: 00:03 minutes, PP: 00:00 minutes, SH: 00:00, Total: 00:03 minutes

Kings

Jonathan Quick (L)

Time On Ice: EV: 52:00 minutes, PP: 05:00 minutes, SH: 02:41 minutes, Total: 59:41 minutes

Goals-Shots Against: 1st Period: 1-13, 2nd Period: 0-6, 3rd Period: 1-5, Total: 2-24

Empty Net Time: EV: 00:19 minutes, PP: 00:00 minutes, SH: 00:00 minutes, Total: 00:19 minutes

Shots on Goal

Red Wings: 24

Kings: 52

Final Score

Red Wings: 2

Kings: 1

Final/Regulation

3 Stars (as chosen by some random bloke in the audience, er, Media)

1) DET Howard

2) LAK Brown

3) LAK Smyth

Season Record

Red Wings: 22-15-6, 50 pts (3rd in division, 9th in conference)

Kings: 25-16-3, 53 points (3rd in division, 8th in conference)

Red Wings are 3 points out of the playoffs, behind the Kings; Wings are also 3 points up on the 10th place team, the Dallas Stars.

Quick question. Isn't shutting down Kings top line a success in itself? After all, Kings big guns didn't score.

Oh wait, Howard.

nvmind

We didnt shut them down. Howard did, but frick, Brown had an assist and 6 shots, Smyth had 9 shots and a goal, Kopitar had 8 shots. That isnt shut down, that's a stud goalie putting on a show.

The only positive from this game apart from Howard, are the 2 points. In San Jose tommorow night, we're gonna have to play desperation hockey to win, or even be in the game. It sucks we lost Homer before the toughest game of the season, because Leino was flat terrible last night and we dont have much else to go too.

We didnt shut them down. Howard did, but frick, Brown had an assist and 6 shots, Smyth had 9 shots and a goal, Kopitar had 8 shots. That isnt shut down, that's a stud goalie putting on a show.

The only positive from this game apart from Howard, are the 2 points. In San Jose tommorow night, we're gonna have to play desperation hockey to win, or even be in the game. It sucks we lost Homer before the toughest game of the season, because Leino was flat terrible last night and we dont have much else to go too.

Cleary needs to keep hanging around our opponent's net; and it wouldn't hurt if Bert leaned the same way. He's got an even bigger butt than Homer. We have got to start screening the goalies more. Traffic, traffic, TRAFFIC, damn it!

Just wanted to weigh in on the game last night. This is my first post on the board.. Been a fan since 1996 when I came to the United States. I live in California and went to both the Anaheim and LA matchups.

I as most of you agree with what has been said. I didn't know how to feel after the game. We didn't play that well, but we got two points that was important.

I was sitting in section 216 with my brother surrounded by Kings fans. The first period was pretty bad. We couldn't get the puck out of the zone and were merely dumping to change. There wasn't even any forecheck, let alone puck possession.

Yet somehow someway we got a goal through Cleary. Man am I glad to see him get back. It was a nice fore check by Helm and Abdelkader. And it was a good fight by Filppula for the rebound to assist Cleary.

And all that with 1 second left.

The second period was mixed. We had our chances they had theirs. Yes they had 27 shots, but we had 3 1v1 of which one should have been buried. We started off well, but finished poorly.

The third period was an utter nightmare. We defended the entire first 15 minutes of it. Howard was on top of his s***, and the defense was doing its share. Puck possession once again was non-existant.

And then came the goal, and we were hoping for overtime because I did not see us winning unless we went to a shootout. And then all of a sudden when LA had the momentum Detroit came out of its shell and actually created a couple of chances. Filppula should have done better on the 1v1.

And then HELM, like a man possessed came out of nowhere and just took off for the puck. Almost beat Quick to it. And all of a sudden the puck was in the goal and we went insane. We were singing our lungs off.

It has to be one of the better nights of my life.. and then we went back home and watched the game again. Howard's performance was something else. I hope this is the turning point of the season. I can only hope this will give us some desire for the Sharks, because at some point I just wanted the win for Jimmy who was performing out of his skin.

AJMO WINGSI!!!!!!!

Edited by Russian Houdini

Just wanted to weigh in on the game last night. This is my first post on the board.. Been a fan since 1996 when I came to the United States. I live in California and went to both the Anaheim and LA matchups.

-->>>

AJMO WINGSI!!!!!!!

Great post, Russian Houdini. It's almost like I was there. And welcome to the board!! :beerbuddy: