• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/7 GDT: Red Wings 2 at Kings 1

Rate this topic

Agreed.

I'll give Z a pass this game because he just got back, but Datsyuk I've been hard on because as a star player who scored 97 points the last two seasons, he's nowhere to be found most nights when this team needs him more than ever. He's still good defensively, but he looks so uninspired offensively. It's a totally different personality we're dealing with, but honestly it's shades of Fedorov out there.

Last game the one shift he looked like he was hussling, it immediately led to a Wings goal.

While agree dats has underperformed this year, I still contend that 13M of salary tied up in our 1 and 2 D-men playing like our 3 and 4 is the real problem. Thankfully this year Kronner and Stuart have played well.

Just got back from the game and while I'm glad we got the two points, I still gotta say WOW. That was one of the worst games I've ever seen from the wings. In fact the play was EXACTLY the same from the game in anaheim. I mean, we were f***in BRUTAL except that luck was finally on our side tonight. Regardless, that was an awful awful games that we didn't deserve to win. If we continue to play like this there is a zero percent chance we will make the playoffs and will be destroyed by the sharks on saturday. This is exactly why I feel that injuries aren't as big a deal as some might think, cause to see our team play like that with most of our stars in the lineup is uttery pitiful. Man o man. I've lost a lot of hope tonight.

While agree dats has underperformed this year, I still contend that 13M of salary tied up in our 1 and 2 D-men playing like our 3 and 4 is the real problem. Thankfully this year Kronner and Stuart have played well.

Raf has been up and down this year, but even as a "down" year for Lidstrom he's still playing like a top pairing guy. Just not the Lidstrom we're used to seeing.

....L.A. was able to do a hell of a lot more than they should have been able to not so much because of the D but because again and again there were huge rebounds. Those lead to scrambles that aren't really conducive to getting your offense rolling through the neutral zone.

Let the revisionist history and rationalizations begin. At least Outsider had the ovaries to acknowledge Howard was the right choice.

Wow Howard was basically unreal. As hoped, looking like Helm is developing some really good hands.

Wasn't fun watching all of those shots against but I suppose we all know why JIMMY is getting the starts.

Raf has been up and down this year, but even as a "down" year for Lidstrom he's still playing like a top pairing guy. Just not the Lidstrom we're used to seeing.

Yes, defensively Lids is still in the top pairing though I don't measure 7M D-men the same way I measure 3-4M D-men. Rafalski at 6M has never made sense to me and make less as time goes on. And yes, we have his no-trade for 1 more year.

Edited by clutchngrab

I really don't think so. I think if you and everyone re-watched this game with emotions down a bit, you'd see that sure, Howard played a really amazing game. But at the same time, he played a s***ty game. The thing is, there's no way in hell L.A. would've gotten anything close to 50 shots if Howard controlled the puck better. I think this honestly was one of his worst games in terms of puck control. I mean, again, he was amazing in actually stopping everything, but he had to make those extra stops because he failed again and again at controlling the puck after the first shot and getting caught in compromising positions. That doesn't help the defense either who ends up having to scramble not only with multiple rebounds but half the time you've got guys diving in to cover the net that Howard's not in front of!

And I'm telling you, go back and watch this, don't take my word for it.

And I still think it's pretty funny that Howard didn't even touch the puck on that diving "save" earlier that Ken Daniels just about s*** his pants over. It went wide of the net!

But I mean, this was a weird, weird game for Howard if you ask me because it was as amazing, but it was almost just as ugly in some ways.

I agree and disagree with this post... Howard played a spectacular game and probably the best of his career despite the horribly out of position stops and spectacular defensive plays bailing him out. It was, in a way, a team effort on goaltending. But still, 50 shots is 50 shots and to even be able to get in the way of that is amazing.

But I reiterate from earlier in the GDT - Give Howie a break, Ozzie should start 2 of the next 5 (in my wonderfully amateur opinion) and I hope Howie sticks in the groove. Personally I'm more worried about him burning out and slumping than I am about Ozzie playing like crap and we lose one. Call me an Ozzie lover if you wish, but I believe in Osgood and think he deserves a start in the next week... even if it's only the Islanders or Canes.

The amount of money certain D-men are making...you know any team would have signed them for that money at the time.

I think you are probably right. GM's have had a hard time wrapping their heads around the cap beyond a year at a time.

It was a fluke goal if I ever saw one, but I'll take it. :D

Eh, LA's goal was fluky too. That thing was bouncing like an Indian rubber ball, off the boards, over Stuart's stick, knuckle balled past Howard's glove and finally off the shaft of Smyth's stick. :lol:

Okay, I'll admit the Wings still may have been a tad luckier for the balance of the game though. :P

Let the revisionist history and rationalizations begin. At least Outsider had the ovaries to acknowledge Howard was the right choice.

Oh please. Myself and others were calling it throughout the game when it was going on. What you're not understanding whatsoever about my beef with the goaltending situation is that it has very little to do with Howard playing poorly. None actually. It has everything to do with Babcock pushing all the wrong buttons with Osgood and punishing a guy who hasn't played bad, and this knowing full well that Osgood has to be the guy heading into the playoffs. I NEVER said we were screwed because Howard was starting. Never once. I can't acknowledge being "wrong" about something I never even hinted at.

Outsider and I both want to see balance with the goalies, but we've got different points when it really shakes down. I don't remember everything he said, but I never suggested that we would lose and Howard would s*** the bed if he started. I'm talking about establish long run issues that have the potential to haunt us down the road. I'm not near as concerned with the game to game s*** many of you are as I'm pretty happy with our 50 points in 43 games. Down the stretch, I have complete faith in our ability to do what it takes to get in the top 8. No worries at all. My only concern is that Babcock pushes one (or fifty...) too many buttons with Osgood and screws our chances DOWN THE STRETCH. I can acknowledge being right or wrong in June maybe, but it has nothing to do with anyone's performance tonight. I'm talking about a long-run goalie-management issue.

And to be utterly clear, I'm not here to rip on Howard at all. I like Howard a lot and I've said numerous times that he really did play an amazing game. But at the same time, he had horrible puck control tonight that lead to many LA shots that never should have occurred. And after all, I said don't take my word for it. Go back and watch it yourself. See for yourself. It's worth it because you'll see that sure, he did play an amazing game in stopping all those shots, but numerous times he was also directly responsible for having to face as many shots as he did. I'll give the guy all the credit in the world for covering his own ass on the matter. The goal Howard allowed was a bulls*** goal that you can't hold against him at all. Bulls*** penalty to start and then just a weird, fluky play.

And I'm also going to give the D more credit than most for helping out in countless scrambles caused by poor rebound control. And the offense as well, which dealt with some rather significant lineup changes again tonight.

Tell me, what there is unreasonable?

The amount of money certain D-men are making...you know any team would have signed them for that money at the time.

That's a good point.

It's easy to look at that money under the current cap and market conditions, but at the time Lid's contract signing was a hometown discount, and Rafs was at the least market value.

That's a good point.

It's easy to look at that money under the current cap and market conditions, but at the time Lid's contract signing was a hometown discount, and Rafs was at the least market value.

Rafs was offered at least a million more per season by other teams. I can't remember exactly how much, but we absolutely got a sizable discount on him as well compared to market value and the year we signed him.

They've had too many nights like this, though, where the first line produces nothing offensively. Datsyuk had Bert and Hank on the same line as him tonight. Yet, we get outshot by a ridiculous margin. The skilled players on the top line have had a lot to work with all season. It's the other lines that have struggled with talent.

If not for Howard and the effort of some of our role players, we wouldn't have won this game tonight. I'm not going to cut the stars any slack, however.

When we play well, everyone here raves about how amazing thos guys are, and how they're as good as Crosby or Ovechkin, but when we lose, people make excuses for poor Pavel Datsyuk.

You people need to be a little more objective. There's too many good players not stepping up this season, and it's not all because of injuries.

Lol. Only on LGWs would people ***** after a HUGE much needed win, while blanking any points from the opposition team. Hilarious!

Edited by Miller Brew

Definitely a solid first game back for Cleary. Zetterberg was a bit invisible at times but he had a couple good shots. Helm was undoubtedly the player of the game not named Jimmy Howard.

Edited by skyphoenix