• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
luvmnger

jack johnson available?

Rate this topic

Guest Howard He Do It?!
I can realistically see Jack Johnson developing into the same kind of defenseman as Brad Stuart, albeit with more offensive upside. He has all the physical tools, and he's young enough that he could be taught to play defense in the NHL. If there was a serious offer made that wouldn't cost too much, I would be pleased to bring JMFJ on board.

That being said, I was very surprised to read Lombardi's comments about the Michigan program and Red Berenson in particular. His observations about individual players aside, to throw an entire program (and one of the most respected coaches in college hockey) under the bus because one of your players has had problems with on-ice IQ is a questionable move. Pride aside, Jack was right to respond the way he did, and if this exchange ends up souring his relationship with Kings brass, then maybe it's for the best. Let him get moved to an organization where he will be allowed to develop and learn to play the position without having his boss pull this kind of stunt.

edit: spelling

Read the actual article where the quotes are being pulled from and you will find that Lombardi is not throwing Johnson under the bus. Lombardi is just commenting on his development, the positives and negatives.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
I said any combo of those names. I was just doing that because who was leaving in my senario.

If the situation were to occur where Lidstrom retired and Johnson found his way to Detroit, it would be likely that Johnson-Rafalski would be the second pairing. Kronwall-Stuart has to stay together, Ericsson will still be developing with hopefully Lilja and there is no way that rafa moves down to the 3rd pairing.

Not to be the guy to interrupt and give Michigan kudos, but there are 22 Wolverines currently in the NHL (some borderline -- Andy Hilbert, for example) ... but I'm not sure where I get the rip on Michigan's player development. A lot of those guys have been around foreverrrrr. Looking your way, Mike Knuble.

As for Johnson, he was exciting to watch in college because he physically overmatched everyone in the CCHA -- huge, bulky defenseman with monster shots don't come around all that often, even if Michigan had JJ and Komisarek in succession. What he missed in positioning and smarts, he just made up for by being bigger than everyone. That obviously hasn't translated very well to the pros -- but if he was given the proper environment to develop in, he might be a lot better.

if there is a team in the NHL that has the ability to turn guys with sh* in brain into solid players it is the very Red Wings.

I don't think Johnson would come up cheap anyway and am not willing to bet my money for the Wings organization to

turn the tide here but it's not like I would be surprised if they did it.

Cleary, Stuart and Eaves are prime examples of players who settled and reached their potential with the Wings.

I could probably live with that, depending on whatelse was involved of course. I don't want a current roster player but especially a d-man cause I have a feeling Lidstrom might retire so if they could get Johnson and not lose anyone currently on D then next year if Lids retired any combo of

Kronwall - Stuart

Johnson - Rafalski

Ericsson - ??

Really? Kindl has the same top end potential as this guy (with more offensive potential and less defensive/physical potential). They're the same age. But Kindl was drafted and developed by the Wings. Why make a lateral move that switches a known for an unknown?

I dunno, I guess Im one of the few who thinks johnson could still be great player. By the replies it seems like most are writing him off. I think eric is a bit overrated on this board.... but I still love the guy, and no I wouldn't trade stewie he's been our best this year I forgot about him somehow

I wouldn't say he's lost that potential. I just think that the longer he fails to show glimpses of it in the NHL the less likely it is to appear later. He's past his free adjustment period (although he's played fewer than 200 games so he's certainly not far outside that free pass period). After about 250 games an NHL defenseman should be really showing his stuff out there. That's just over 3 seasons of NHL play (which is where I got that number from :P).

Guest blueadams

I'd love to have him. He's got all the talent in the world. He'd put it together here.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
I found this at letsgokings.com

http://www.letsgokings.com/bbs/f4/jack_joh...bgb-152983.html

... didn't really read it so i don't know if those articles have any credibility or not though

LOL. They all want Helm and they think we are going to trade Ericsson who has "Size, and scoring potential more so that JJ." And they all want Stuart back.

This is that forum's trade wish:

To Detroit: Johnson

To LA: Helm and Stuart or Ericsson

What a terrible trade for the Wings.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

LOL. They all want Helm and they think we are going to trade Ericsson who has "Size, and scoring potential more so that JJ." And they all want Stuart back.

My personal favorite was when I saw:

"Ville Leino: solid player and a center"

Holland: Ok... you know, you guys are twisting my arm, but fine. You can have Ville. Gosh, this was a toughie.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
My personal favorite was when I saw:

"Ville Leino: solid player and a center"

Holland: Ok... you know, you guys are twisting my arm, but fine. You can have Ville. Gosh, this was a toughie.

Yeah, I laughed my ass off on that one too.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
eklund (hockeybuzz) has this as e4 .. johnson to wings

I was surprised to see that. While it is Eklund, it still seems like all of this came out of no where. Would LA really be willing to trade with a team that they are fighting for a playoff spot with?

This is that forum's trade wish:

To Detroit: Johnson

To LA: Helm and Stuart or Ericsson

What a terrible trade for the Wings.

I was just on my way to post this. Are these guys on ******* drugs? Helm alone is worth more than Jack Johnson. Kings fans are in complete denial about this guy and it's ridiculous. What has Johnson done in the NHL to warrant any kind of contract, hype or trade value?

Guest Howard He Do It?!
I was just on my way to post this. Are these guys on ******* drugs? Helm alone is worth more than Jack Johnson. Kings fans are in complete denial about this guy and it's ridiculous. What has Johnson done in the NHL to warrant any kind of contract, hype or trade value?

Fans will always overvalue their own players. If Kenny ever made a trade like that I would question his sanity.

To be fair this is exactly what a lot of Wings fans do on here. Every team has fans that throw out crazy suggestions, and no one wants to part with talent when it comes to trades.

Guest Crymson
A bit unnecessary to call out a school that a player played for, considering that he is far from the only product of that school.

His cap hit is 1.425. Him for Lebda and Leino?

It doesn't take much to fill Lebda's skates, and we don't have to worry about "Leino or Miller" when Homer and/or Willy return.

Looking at his stats, his -18 is concerning, but I haven't watched him, so I don't know why that is the case. It could be something fixable.

If he's that horrible, at least we can still play Meech over him, and we have saved a player better than Leino from the waiver wire.

If nothing else, this allows LGW to replace 2 whipping boys with one.

He costs $1.425. They do not need Lebda or Leino. Why would they take this trade? It's worth it to them to keep him at a low price.

Laughing my ass off at some of the people here. Comparing Lebda (who's played on the winningest--and one of the most defensively solid--teams since the lockout) to JJ (who's played on the Kings who have had epic defensive and goaltending issues this year) statistically--especially by plus/minus--is absurd. Yes, JJ has defensive issues, though they're markedly improved this year (in spite of his -18 rating). Defensively, he's no real downgrade over Lebda at least, while having way more offensive upside and a more physical game. Oh, and he's 23, and on the US olympic roster. No, the guy hasn't entirely lived to his hype, but he still projects to be a solid d-man over the long-term (quite more so than Lebda).

Lebda (or Lebda + Leino) for JJ is a pipe dream.

I for one would love to see JJ on our third pair.

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Stuart/Ericcson

Kronwall/JJ

Roll all 3. You really would never have to worry about matchups for defense pairings

Strengths:

Is an incredible skater. Possesses good size, excellent all-around instincts, physical prowess and offensive upside. Is never shy about laying on the body. Is better than average for a defenseman when in alone against the goaltender.

Weaknesses:

Needs to avoid getting caught out of position in order to land the big hit. Could stand to simplify his game a little more so as to maximize his physical tools.

To me that sounds quite similar to Kronwall. Except for the size comment.

Honestly if I was Ken Holland, Lebda+Leino for JJ and a 4th rd pick or Kindl+5th or 6th rd pick for JJ

Guest Howard He Do It?!
I for one would love to see JJ on our third pair.

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Stuart/Ericcson

Kronwall/JJ

Roll all 3. You really would never have to worry about matchups for defense pairings

Strengths:

Is an incredible skater. Possesses good size, excellent all-around instincts, physical prowess and offensive upside. Is never shy about laying on the body. Is better than average for a defenseman when in alone against the goaltender.

Weaknesses:

Needs to avoid getting caught out of position in order to land the big hit. Could stand to simplify his game a little more so as to maximize his physical tools.

To me that sounds quite similar to Kronwall. Except for the size comment.

Honestly if I was Ken Holland, Lebda+Leino for JJ and a 4th rd pick or Kindl+5th or 6th rd pick for JJ

LA views this guy as a future #1 defenseman. It's going to take a lot more than our garbage or a future defensive prospect to get him.

And those defensive pairings are insane. There is absolutely no way that Kronwall plays on the 3rd pairing.

LA views this guy as a future #1 defenseman. It's going to take a lot more than our garbage or a future defensive prospect to get him.

In all honesty I would go a little further than KH probably would to get him. I.E.:

Lebda+Leino+Kindl+6th rd pick+7th rd pick for JJ and a pick

LA gets:

5/6 defenseman in Lebda

2/3 line forward in Leino

Our top defensive prospect in Kindl

and 2 draft picks

Det gets:

JJ

and a pick

and remember this is the same team in LA that traded us Brad Stuart for what, three picks? And he was supposed to be a #1 defenseman.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
In all honesty I would go a little further than KH probably would to get him. I.E.:

Lebda+Leino+Kindl+6th rd pick+7th rd pick for JJ and a pick

LA gets:

5/6 defenseman in Lebda

2/3 line forward in Leino

Our top defensive prospect in Kindl

and 2 draft picks

Det gets:

JJ

and a pick

and remember this is the same team in LA that traded us Brad Stuart for what, three picks? And he was supposed to be a #1 defenseman.

LA is really going to make that same mistake twice? They will want high picks or top level prospects and I wouldn't part with Kindl. Not with Lidstrom and Rafa winding down.