• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Jonathan Ericsson Watch Thread

Rate this topic

Ericsson has been nothing less than spectacular. I think it's fair to say last year was a sophomore slump. +2 tonight (+5 in the season) while Lidstrom was a -1 tonight (+4 in the season).

Why do you have to compare Ericsson's play to Lidstrom's? Ericsson is not the one who leads the Wings dmen in ice time and plays against the opponent's top scorers.

Looks like Big E escaped injury tonight.

In one sense, with this team, an almost injury isn't such great news because look how Franzen has been with that hip flexor or whatever he has. He's been in games but nowhere near the effectiveness we expect of him.

In another sense, as a witness of last year's head shaking injury fest, I'm just thankful if a player isn't out of the lineup worthy of LTIR.

As far as excuses for not performing last year, Ericsson had a pretty damn good one.

Ericsson is not as distracted as he was last season, when his mother, Suzanne, was in Sweden undergoing chemotherapy for throat cancer. She has completed her treatment and is doing much better, he said.

"Right now, it looks good," Ericsson said. "Last year, of course, I was thinking about it every day. I think that's a little bit why maybe hockey wasn't my (first) priority."

He contemplated going home for a short time.

"(The team) allowed me to go home if I wanted to, but I couldn't do much back there anyway and things didn't come to that real critical point. So I decided to stay here," Ericsson said. "I guess that was in the back of my head all the time and maybe why my confidence level wasn't very high."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/11/jonathan_ericsson_is_back_in_f.html

Glad he's on his way to enjoying hockey like he used to though.

As far as excuses for not performing last year, Ericsson had a pretty damn good one.

Glad he's on his way to enjoying hockey like he used to though.

I would probably think less of him had he been able to focus 100% on hockey with his mom battling cancer... this really shed a lot of light on his step back last year...

He's looking more and more like a top 4(or dare I say top 2) every night!

Why do you have to compare Ericsson's play to Lidstrom's? Ericsson is not the one who leads the Wings dmen in ice time and plays against the opponent's top scorers.

Because Lidstrom is so far above everyone else that nobody better dare compare another player to him? Goin a little heavy on the Lid love, aren't we?

Because Lidstrom is so far above everyone else that nobody better dare compare another player to him? Goin a little heavy on the Lid love, aren't we?

Actually the spirit behind that post at that time didn't have much regard for Lidstrom. It was more of a concern about expectations being too high on Ericsson. If someone were to come up to him and say, "Hey dude, check it out, you're doing better than Lidstrom!" then I feel like Ericsson himself would've responded similarly to the way I did. They're just not comparable situations. If we were to compare his situation to a defenseman on perhaps another team who wasn't the captain while he averaged 16 min a night with 0:55 PK time and no PP time and didn't have to defend the top scorers, then we'd be a little closer to a more valid comparison.

Actually the spirit behind that post at that time didn't have much regard for Lidstrom. It was more of a concern about expectations being too high on Ericsson. If someone were to come up to him and say, "Hey dude, check it out, you're doing better than Lidstrom!" then I feel like Ericsson himself would've responded similarly to the way I did. They're just not comparable situations. If we were to compare his situation to a defenseman on perhaps another team who wasn't the captain while he averaged 16 min a night with 0:55 PK time and no PP time and didn't have to defend the top scorers, then we'd be a little closer to a more valid comparison.

I'm pretty sure that it's universally understood that nobody can replace Lidstrom and what he brings to the game. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's common knowledge that Lidstrom will be replaced by committee.

I'm pretty sure that it's universally understood that nobody can replace Lidstrom and what he brings to the game. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's common knowledge that Lidstrom will be replaced by committee.

Yeah that's not what I was getting at either but that's okay.

It wasn't about your "concern about expectations being too high on Ericsson"?

Cuz I'm just saying that even the Pope knows that Ericsson can't replace Lidstrom. Lidstrom is irreplaceable because in order to replace him, you'd have to preserve his brain and implant it into another human.

1287088069492.jpg

Edited by Broken 16

I understand exactly what you're talking about. It has nothing to do with lidstrom at all, more like Deryk Engelland or Jassen Cullimore or more comparably Niclas Wallin

Guest scottj

Even if Ericsson will be the "replacement" to Lidstrom... it's waaaaaaay to early to compare him to one of the best defensemen to ever play the game.

Obviously I would love it if Ericsson eventually made Lids look like Lebda (if he was still with the wings), but to say something like this so soon is ridiculous

"I just think he's maturing," Danny Cleary said. "I think everybody had a trying season last year; it was tough, but now he's got confidence. ... He's not letting the lows stay too low -- if he makes a bad pass or has a bad shift, he's letting it go. He's played good for us, and he's going to be a great, great defenseman in this league for sure."

Ericsson's restoration began in training camp and got a boost when he was paired in exhibition games with Nicklas Lidstrom. The pairings shook out to have Ericsson with Rafalski, a nice blend of size and skill.

The Wings want Ericsson to emulate Lidstrom's new partner, Brad Stuart, because as much as Ericsson has an offensive side to him, the Wings really want to see him use his 6-foot-4, 220-pound body to punish opponents, and to be solid in his own end.

"I just have to be consistent in my defensive game, but I've felt good about the way I'm playing," Ericsson said.

Read more: Jonathan Ericsson bouncing back from poor 2009-10 | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20101212/SPORTS05/12120657/Jonathan-Ericsson-bouncing-back-from-poor-2009-10#ixzz17yrexwog

Guest Crymson

Not sure what reasons we would have to worry. Ericsson has been good the past 2 weeks. Other than that, he is an enigma as usual.

I disagree. I feel he was horrid throughout the entire road trip.

He was playing great earlier in the season, but he's lately been back to some of his old tricks.

Edited by Crymson