• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Leadzedder

Trim 2 million

Rate this topic

Yes, thanks a lot. I figured they had to have a system of how to work that all out and that it wasn't just a royal rumble among 29 teams but I had no idea it was specifically like that. Does anyone know that list? That would be really helpful if we were to consider options.

Yeah I'm not sure the list either. As an aside, I think LA had first grab at Quincey. In hindsight alot of other teams wished they had of offered up a late pick.

Question. If all the organizations know that Detroit needs to get rid of certain players, can't they just wait until DET has to place them on waivers so that they can claim them without giving up anything? Like the way LA acquired Quincey?

If so then why is there even speculation among the media that DET will have to trade players to free up cap space if they'll likely just lose them for nothing?

LA acquired Quincey?

Well for my part I would first try to get Eaves and Miller locked down to some type of decent 1 or 2 year extensions at a good cap hit, I really would not want to loose either of those 2, but I would want to insure before we go waiving anyone at this point that at least those we kept were going to stick around awhile, I would hate to see what happened with Sammy, who from what I understand was waiting and waiting on something to happen with Hossa and got pissed off and decided to walk, I am not saying Sammy was exceptional but we certainly could use him this year and he is far greater than Williams.

I would hate to lose either of them, but with the way this season is going I would make sure of the 2 mentioned before dropping anyone.

post deleted due to it being wrong information. I had thought we had a bit more wiggle room with prorated cap amounts for Miller, May and Helm. Looks like I was wrong. We've been at the cap all season long. The cap is calculated daily so prorated amounts don't come into play. $1.995m is the magic number. Trim away.

Edited by Leadzedder

POSSIBLE EDIT TO ORIGINAL POST

This could be wrong info but we may have more options. Due to us getting May and Miller part ways into the season, they may not count as full hits on the cap. ...

Anyway, the revised numbers are Miller .413 and May .482.

As was said earlier, we have zero cap space since we have been riding LTIR exemption thus far. So the only thing that matters is the per day hit, which doesn't change as that lower cap amount is divided over fewer days. (ex. 152 days for Miller assuming he stays for the remainder of the year, so 413k/152 = $2720 = 525k/193)

Per day cap hits (rounded):

Nicklas Lidstrom » $38,601

Pavel Datsyuk » $34,715

Henrik Zetterberg » $31,520

Brian Rafalski » $31,088

Johan Franzen » $20,490

Brad Stuart » $19,430

Valtteri Filppula » $15,544

Niklas Kronwall » $15,544

Daniel Cleary » $14,508

Tomas Holmstrom » $11,658

Kris Draper » $8,204

Todd Bertuzzi » $7,772

Jason Williams » $7,772

Chris Osgood » $7,340

Andreas Lilja » $6,477

Jonathan Ericsson » $4,663

Kirk Maltby » $4,577

Ville Leino » $4,145

Jimmy Howard » $3,713

Brett Lebda » $3,368

Darren Helm » $3,106

Drew Miller » $2,720

Patrick Eaves » $2,591

Derek Meech » $2,504

Brad May » $2,591

Total $304,641

Limit $294,301

Overage $10,340 <---- Amount we need to cut

As was said earlier, we have zero cap space since we have been riding LTIR exemption thus far. So the only thing that matters is the per day hit, which doesn't change as that lower cap amount is divided over fewer days. (ex. 152 days for Miller assuming he stays for the remainder of the year, so 413k/152 = $2720 = 525k/193)

Per day cap hits (rounded):

Nicklas Lidstrom » $38,601

Pavel Datsyuk » $34,715

Henrik Zetterberg » $31,520

Brian Rafalski » $31,088

Johan Franzen » $20,490

Brad Stuart » $19,430

Valtteri Filppula » $15,544

Niklas Kronwall » $15,544

Daniel Cleary » $14,508

Tomas Holmstrom » $11,658

Kris Draper » $8,204

Todd Bertuzzi » $7,772

Jason Williams » $7,772

Chris Osgood » $7,340

Andreas Lilja » $6,477

Jonathan Ericsson » $4,663

Kirk Maltby » $4,577

Ville Leino » $4,145

Jimmy Howard » $3,713

Brett Lebda » $3,368

Darren Helm » $3,106

Drew Miller » $2,720

Patrick Eaves » $2,591

Derek Meech » $2,504

Brad May » $2,591

Total $304,641

Limit $294,301

Overage $10,340 <---- Amount we need to cut

Ok.... I can believe that. Makes sense. So whether it's broken down daily or not the numbers are the same as the original post. $10,340 times 193 days and we're back to 1.995 mil over (or $10,340 per day) So we should just use Miller's, May's and Helm's full amounts.

So what's the actual rule? Can't be over the daily amount at any point in the season (not including LTIR) or at season's end? That doesn't seem to jive. If a team (not us this year) had accrued say a mill in cap space they could get a 3 mil player at the deadline. We all know that's doable, but that would give the team a higher daily amount after the deadline. Money not spent goes into a 'cap bank' and you can add that to your daily spending?

Edited by Leadzedder

Guest zackmorris
Question. If all the organizations know that Detroit needs to get rid of certain players, can't they just wait until DET has to place them on waivers so that they can claim them without giving up anything? Like the way LA acquired Quincey?

If so then why is there even speculation among the media that DET will have to trade players to free up cap space if they'll likely just lose them for nothing?

In a trade, you can control if you get the player. It's all fair game and you can just outbid the other team.

On the open market, a team may be in a higher position to claim the waived player and literally you don't have a chance to claim him.

Lilja only makes 1.25 but thanks for playing.

Isn't Lilja the one we're freeing up money for? If we traded him, we wouldn't need to free up his 1.2 mil. Unless there's a rule that prohibits a team from trading a guy who is hurt or not contributing to the cap at the moment. I dunno about that.

Although it won't even matter because he likely isn't going anywhere. We wouldn't do all that we've done for him only to ship him once he's healthy for almost nothing in return. We wouldn't even bother going to the trouble of planning a way to free up 1.2 million if we were just going to ship or dump him. Which is why I don't get why he's even in some of these equations.

And I don't get why anyone really is firmly believing Maltby will go anywhere. There's a loyalty aspect on this team lost upon most posters on this board.

Edited by zackmorris

drapers cap hit is rediculous.

Really? A guy whose career high is 40 points making $1.5 million........if anything, he's underpaid by about $1.5 million. (Sarcasm)

That one goes out to all you Filppula lovers; I'm just kidding, btw.

Trade/waive Williams, Lebda, May and Leino and get a 3rd line center.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Miller-"X"-Cleary

Draper-Helm-Eaves

+ Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Lilja

+ Meech

I hope if they do let go that many players they find a team that has more draft picks than sense in the GM's Head (Maple Leafs) and we can get a couple picks for our trash.

exactly - this is such a no-brainer it's not even funny.

trade/waive Lebda and Leino and send down(he'll clear waivers) May.

done and done.

Oh, but no so quick.

Leino 800k

Lebda 650k

May 500k

$1,950,000

We are 1,995,000 over. Try again.

But yeah, I agree. If it would work, I'd do that too.

Miller-"X"-Cleary

Draper-Helm-Eaves

+ Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Lilja

+ Meech

Man those would be sweet lines if we could get a decent center. Our 4th line draper helm eaves i love it. They have played great all year.

Edited by Hossa4Life

Miller-"X"-Cleary

Draper-Helm-Eaves

+ Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Lilja

+ Meech

You might be on to something there. You'd have 1.455 to fill the spot. Any ideas someone available that would fit?