• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown_Ryan

Ovie Suspended

Rate this topic

Key word is "if". They haven't done anything like this. Ovi, as much as I like him as an exciting player, has done this numerous times now.

Regarding Malkin, wasn't he guilty of some (unpenalized) headhunting with elbows recently? I seem to remember Don Cherry going off on a tirade about it.

Did any of you actually watch the actual hit? Like really use your eyesight and look at ... a few times? He didn't hit him from behind, it was from the side (Alex's glove was in Campbells armpit) and Campbell was off balance.

The suspension is ridiculous!

Did any of you actually watch the actual hit? Like really use your eyesight and look at ... a few times? He didn't hit him from behind, it was from the side (Alex's glove was in Campbells armpit) and Campbell was off balance.

The suspension is ridiculous!

Yes, I watched, it was from behind, not the side.

Edit - even if it was from the side, it is still boarding, but that's irrelevant as it was from behind anyway.

Edited by toby91_ca

Guest Shoreline

I'm glad to see that the League's "Repeat Offender Policy" is working out so well. And, according to Toronto Star :

As a response to that article you cited:

There is compelling logic to this argument given that on Sunday afternoon Colin Campbell had no intention of suspending the Washington Capitals captain, and then, surprise surprise, on Monday morning there was a hearing.

This happened on a Sunday. Since when are "hearings", which decide suspensions, the same day of the game? The hearing happened on Monday, the next day. What the flying f*** is it they are complaining about? This is nothing out of the ordinary. I'm all for nailing the higher-up's balls to the ground, but the case for this being unfair is completely riddled with bulls***. These two situations are something the league actually got right for a change and people are simply bitching and moaning for.. well, whatever reason they are bitching and moaning for. I don't even know why, but I do know there's not much "logic" behind it, as the article contends. It actually is a complete slap in the face to logic.

Edited by Shoreline

idk why people are still saying Cooke needs to be punished. Why what rule did he break, even though it was a malicious hit and knowing Cookes history he probably did have intent to injure, you cant punish him.

It would be like you getting a speeding ticket on a road/highway with no speed limit. Like the Chewbaca defense it just doesnt make sense

Maybe it was the obvious attempt to injure?

Attempt to Injure

(Match Penalty)

A player who receives a match penalty is ejected. A match penalty is imposed for deliberately injuring or attempting to injure another player. If a match penalty is imposed the offending player is automatically suspended from the next game their team plays, and often face a hearing with the possibility of a lengthier ban.

But, but...Ovechkin is sorry; from TSN :

"I am very sorry that Brian was injured and I hope he is able to return to his team soon. NHL hockey is a physical game. We all play hard every time we are on the ice and have battles each shift in every game we play so we can do our jobs and win. As players we must accept responsibility for our actions and I am no different but I did not intend to injure Brian and that is why I was disappointed with the NHL's decision yesterday. Every time I have the honor to play for my team, I will continue to do what I have done since I was taught to play. I will play hard, play with passion and play with respect for my teammates, opponents and fans. I look forward to returning to my team and doing everything I can to be the best player I can be."

Attempt to Injure

(Match Penalty)

A player who receives a match penalty is ejected. A match penalty is imposed for deliberately injuring or attempting to injure another player. If a match penalty is imposed the offending player is automatically suspended from the next game their team plays, and often face a hearing with the possibility of a lengthier ban.

Intent to injure is only used when the original act is illegal.

Rule 21.1 - Match Penalties

A match penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who deliberately attempts to injure an opponent in any manner.

That's not how it is interpreted.

I agree the hit should be banned, but until the NHL creates a rule barring headshots there is nothing Campbell can do.

If you want to interpret that rule "In any manner", then say good bye to Kronwall open ice hits. That was put in place to add discipline to hits that in the rulebook are deemed to be illegal and have caused an injury. That rule was not put in place to counter legal checks that for lack of a better word were "too hard".

Guest Shoreline

Attempt to Injure

(Match Penalty)

Go find on Youtube for me a list of Scott Stevens' top hits, and one of them you'll see is a flagrant shoulder-to-elbow hit upon the head, blindsided, of Eric Lindros. Nobody questioned the validity of the hit because of who he is. One could say in the same context you are that he attempted to injure Lindros. Hitting somebody isn't synonymous with attempting to injure them, which is probably why (in your context of ATI) it was not a penalty on the ice, nor did the league see it that way either.

Here's another hit of Mark Messier, blindsided on Modano, to the head:

These kind of hits are simply part of the league and the league making a rule is the only way it can handle it given the CBA. The citing of an attempt to injure was merely your interpretation of the rules and highly subjectively interpreted at that.

Edited by Shoreline

pockets, on 16 March 2010 - 03:44 AM, said:

idk why people are still saying Cooke needs to be punished. Why what rule did he break, even though it was a malicious hit and knowing Cookes history he probably did have intent to injure, you cant punish him.

Then I guess, by this logic, it should be OK for the Bruins to go headhunting for the Penguin's best player when they meet on Thursday night. Suppose Boston's most physical player (goon? thug? clean but hard checking player?) takes out Cyndy Crosby the way Cooke took out Savard. When Bettman regained consciousness, he would demand that the guilty party be banned for life for a "clean" (?) hit on the "face of the NHL". Above all, Political Correctness must be observed!!

Remember how Konstantinov used to play the game? He hit like he meant it and took everything the opponents gave him without a whimper. Personally, I would love to see every player in the league play with the intensity that Vlady brought (and Ovechkin brings) to every game. It would sure be a lot more exciting and entertaining. Remember, it is a contact sport and, like Mickey Redmond says, "It's no place for an nervous person".

pockets, on 16 March 2010 - 03:44 AM, said:

Then I guess, by this logic, it should be OK for the Bruins to go headhunting for the Penguin's best player when they meet on Thursday night. Suppose Boston's most physical player (goon? thug? clean but hard checking player?) takes out Cyndy Crosby the way Cooke took out Savard. When Bettman regained consciousness, he would demand that the guilty party be banned for life for a "clean" (?) hit on the "face of the NHL". Above all, Political Correctness must be observed!!

You are assuming Sidney is going to have his head down.

He's not that stupid. He's not the greatest hockey talent in the history of the game for nothing...

He's not that stupid. He's not the greatest hockey talent in the history of the game for nothing...

Normally, your Crosby thing gets annoying, but this is a quality troll right here. Hats of to ya! Well done!

It must be getting harder and harder for you to continue being a CrosTroll given how resoundingly Ovi is destroying Crosby in a season where he'll end up playing at least 11 fewer games. :lol:

It must be getting harder and harder for you to continue being a CrosTroll given how resoundingly Ovi is destroying Crosby in a season where he'll end up playing at least 11 fewer games. :lol:

Didn't know points were everything.

Crosby's success can only be measured in one thing. Cups. Oh and game winning overtime Gold Medal goals as well.

Soo it's like 2-0 Crosby atm. Granted it's still early.

It's Ovechkin's fault he is missing these games anyways..

Didn't know points were everything.

Crosby's success can only be measured in one thing. Cups. Oh and game winning overtime Gold Medal goals as well.

Soo it's like 2-0 Crosby atm. Granted it's still early.

It's Ovechkin's fault he is missing these games anyways..

So that means Draper is better than Crosby because he has more cups

Edited by Original-Six

Rule 21.1 - Match Penalties

A match penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who deliberately attempts to injure an opponent in any manner.

Any big body-check could be labeled with the intent to injure if you want to look at it with that broad of interpretation. Anyone of Kronwall's hits could have had the same label according to the "any manner" wording.

Edit: Didn't realize Carman mentioned that already.

Edited by zettie85