• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zettie85

Jimmy Howard a ?

Rate this topic

Listening to the Fan today and they were discussing goaltending this year. The only goalies they say are reliable going into the playoffs this year is Bryzgalov, Luongo and Kipper if they can squeak in. They said that Craig Anderson could not be grouped in with them but still should not be grouped with the likes of Howard, Rinne, Nabokov, Quick and Huet. I listen to these guys daily and they aren't Flames homers for the most part but to say Jimmy has not played well enough to be acknowledged as a top goalie in the West I think is pathetic. If Jimmy's play drops off next year I would not be completely surprised(sophomore slump) but for what he has done this year alone he has earned the right to be known as reliable.

Is it just my bias towards the guy or are these guys right? I for one don't believe it and I think Jimmy is in the zone and can do great things this playoffs but just hearing them talk about him like that irked me and I had to share. Thoughts?

The only goalie that they talked about in your post that's not a question mark is Kipper and he will not even be in the playoffs. Luongo has a lot to prove in the playoffs still, 2nd round meltdown doesn't scream reliable to me. Bryzgalov has excellent numbers in the postseason, but again he's never been past round 2. Him and Rinne scare me the most, both in my opinion are very underated because of the teams they play for. I just hope the teams in front of these guys are satisfied with just making it to the playoffs, like St.Louis was last year.

The only goalie that they talked about in your post that's not a question mark is Kipper and he will not even be in the playoffs. Luongo has a lot to prove in the playoffs still, 2nd round meltdown doesn't scream reliable to me. Bryzgalov has excellent numbers in the postseason, but again he's never been past round 2. Him and Rinne scare me the most, both in my opinion are very underated because of the teams they play for. I just hope the teams in front of these guys are satisfied with just making it to the playoffs, like St.Louis was last year.

St. Louis and Columbus. :D

Yeah, Kipper isn't that good, Calgary. Given his 70-plus game workload every year and the fact he hasn't gotten them out of the first round in five years, he's a bigger question mark than J-Ho if the Flames can't get into the playoffs. But there is nothing like Lames fans and their love of their acrobatic but perpetually tired goaltender.

Yeah, Kipper is that good. He has carried a team to the cup finals before. He seems to be fine handling the workload this year as he hasn't broken down yet. Might have something to do with him quitting smoking and cutting down on the drinking.

If there is anyone to question, it is Jarome Iginla. But please continue on, you obviously watch every Flames game.

Edited by adubs

Yeah, Kipper is that good. He has carried a team to the cup finals before. He seems to be fine handling the workload this year as he hasn't broken down yet. Might have something to do with him quitting smoking and cutting down on the drinking.

If there is anyone to question, it is Jarome Iginla. But please continue on, you obviously watch every Flames game.

Iginla? A guy who has devoted his entire life to that ******* team. He may not being playing great but seriously he needs a genuine centre. f*** that s*** with Jokenin and Stajan. Iginla is probably sick and tired of the Sutter system. They have never given him anyone to play with. Calgary has become a career killer franchise. Kipper stays, Iginla stays. The rest have to go. Blow the team up and get some good picks for Bouwmeester while he is still worth something. Hagman is the best player on that team right now. Stajan can develop a bit more but he's no allstar and him being there isn't going to help the team.

Sutters out Risebrough and Hitchcock in.

At least we have Ozzie to step in if Jimmy can't handle the pressure of the playoffs.

Yeah OK. That would work out really well I'm sure.

Alot of goalies would look good playing behind such a defensively responsible team...people on here overestiamte howard a bit i think...

Dare I dig up all the posts where you bitched about how bad our defense was this year? Fortunately for you I am lazy, but I will say this - you are like a willow in the breeze my friend.

The problem is the team wasn't even close to the defensively responsible team of old most of the year.

Howard has done a lot with little.

Another willow in the breeze - just moving in a different direction than mindfly. That's OK Doc, there's plenty of room now on the Howard bus - especially since you photo shop so well.

Edited by clutchngrab

While no one knows for sure if Ozzie is done this year or not the odds are in that corner(for this season, next year starts a new). He has not played in a very long time (not his fault) but netminding is all about rhythm either you have it or you don't.

I just don't foresee Ozzie sitting for 2-3 months and then coming into a postseason series and looking like last year.

Again, I have mad love for Howard and Ozzie, however, the next starting goaltender has arrived in Detroit, and oddly enough Ozzie seems to be handling it much much better than his die hard fans.

If the Wings have to go to Ozzie for whatever reason (injuries, J-Ho's play, suspension, etc..) the Wings are in trouble due to Babcock not giving Ozzie enough time to stay in shape and get his rhythm going, unfortunately it was that or miss the playoffs in general.

And you can not get grief for post season decisions if you are not there.

While no one knows for sure if Ozzie is done this year or not the odds are in that corner(for this season, next year starts a new). He has not played in a very long time (not his fault) but netminding is all about rhythm either you have it or you don't.

I just don't foresee Ozzie sitting for 2-3 months and then coming into a postseason series and looking like last year.

Again, I have mad love for Howard and Ozzie, however, the next starting goaltender has arrived in Detroit, and oddly enough Ozzie seems to be handling it much much better than his die hard fans.

If the Wings have to go to Ozzie for whatever reason (injuries, J-Ho's play, suspension, etc..) the Wings are in trouble due to Babcock not giving Ozzie enough time to stay in shape and get his rhythm going, unfortunately it was that or miss the playoffs in general.

And you can not get grief for post season decisions if you are not there.

This is spot on. If Osgood has to come in this postseason it wont be like last year. I'm not saying he has zero chance of performing but it will be a different beast he'll have to overcome. Last year he battled with inconsistency while this year he'll have to battle with inactivity. Those are two very different situations.

Another willow in the breeze - just moving in a different direction than mindfly. That's OK Doc, there's plenty of room now on the Howard bus - especially since you photo shop so well.

You are aware I have been pretty reasonable with Howard's performance since the season started, right?

I'm going to agree with you that Kipper is "that" good. He really is, though he isn't consistent as far as I've noticed. There's some stretches where he allows 2 or fewer goals/game, and other games where he doesn't seem to show up. The offence is definitely the issue though, Calgary has one of the lowest GAA in the West, but also hasn't broken 200 goals for like most of the league.

I don't watch the flames, but what I do know about Iginla is that his heart and soul is in his team, he should be able to lead that team into the playoffs, but obviously is not being listened to. Not sure the issue, since that team should have had solid goal-scoring year round.