• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

CBC's Hotstove: Lidstrom to determine future within 7 days

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Within seven days*

Am I the only one having problem sleeping? :ph34r:

According to ESPN's Pierre LeBrun, per the CBC's Satellite Hotstove, Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom will determine his hockey future in the next seven days, and then the Wings will sign him for a slight haircut over his $7.45 million salary, and the Wings have already started contract negotiations with Tomas Holmstrom and Todd Bertuzzi;

According to Glenn Healy, the NHLPA will also help lead the PA going forward, though he may not become their next executive director, and the PA does hope to find an executive director in short order.

Update 11:59 PM: Here's the clip...check the 5:41 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTWo6jerkOA&feature=player_embedded

Update #2, Sunday, 5:54 AM: LeBrun offers substantiation in text via his blog:

ESPN: Nicklas Lidstrom will deliver his decision on his playing future to Detroit GM Ken Holland in the upcoming week. The Red Wings have their fingers crossed that he'll return, but the reality is, no one has a clue what he's going to decide. If he decides to return for another season, the next step will be to sign a contract since he's set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1. He earned $7.4 million this season, and despite the fact he remains a great defenseman at age 40, the Wings will hope to get him back for less money.

Aside from Lidstrom, the Wings are also talking to both camps for Tomas Holmstrom and Todd Bertuzzi and want to try to bring them both back. They're both UFAs, as well.

Originally from:

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/05/cbcs_hotstove_nicklas_lidstrom.html

Edited by mindfly

if it's more than $4.5 million this team is fudged. If I know how Holland works (and we've already established that :lol: ) He will give Lidstrom $7M, both Bertuzzi and Holmstrom $3M erasing our entire cap space...

Lids $4.5

Bertuzzi & Holmstrom $1.5 each...

Nothing more, this team needs to get better via Free Agency, NOT waste all the cap space on the same team that sucked last season. Oh wait, we got Hudler back :puke: What a waste of $2.8M that is! Little focker couldn't even make his National team for his homeland in the Olympics, WTF is he gonna do here? NOTHING! TRADE HIM!

Seriously, I don't understand Lidstrom's motivation. The guy has nothing more to prove, so why not take a paycut so the team has some cap space and a legit change at another cup run? Bringing back the same team as last year, minus Bertuzzi and plus Hudler isn't going to get the job done.

Seriously, I don't understand Lidstrom's motivation. The guy has nothing more to prove, so why not take a paycut so the team has some cap space and a legit change at another cup run? Bringing back the same team as last year, minus Bertuzzi and plus Hudler isn't going to get the job done.

Maybe he just wants to make sure his grandkids' grandkids' grandkids are set for life? :ph34r:

Edited by Broken 16

Maybe he just wants to make sure his grandkids' grandkids' grandkids are set for life? :ph34r:

You mean his his grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids' grandkids?

I agree with left winger, this team needs some change, not go back with the same team that just got beaten down by a team that got swept. Now I don't think Hudler is a waste and he is damn sure worth his 2.85m salary, but we need someone else for the top 6.

Guest mindfly

if it's more than $4.5 million this team is fudged. If I know how Holland works (and we've already established that :lol: ) He will give Lidstrom $7M, both Bertuzzi and Holmstrom $3M erasing our entire cap space...

Lids $4.5

Nothing more, this team needs to get better via Free Agency, NOT waste all the cap space on the same team that sucked last season. Oh wait, we got Hudler back :puke: What a waste of $2.8M that is! Little focker couldn't even make his National team for his homeland in the Olympics, WTF is he gonna do here? NOTHING! TRADE HIM!

^This

My thoughts exactly

Lidstrom will not make less than 7 million dollars. He will not be paid less than any player on the team. That is how Holland rolls.

So if Lidstrom offers to play for less, Holland will refuse? What a stupid thing to insinuate.

Lids $4.5

Lidstrom is still easily a top 5 defenseman in the league, and you expect him to take a $3 million paycut?

You guys kill me sometimes. For the good of the team he should play another grueling season for millions less than his market value? :blink:

If he signs for anything under 6 mill, he would officially be Saint Nick in Detroit.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest mindfly

At the time he signed the contract that expired just now his market value was 8.5 or something so 7.45 was 1 million hometown discount (he was a norris winning 65-80pts D).. his value now..49pts last season no norris nomination decent +/-... around 6million?.. so 1million hometown discount...=5Million.. done deal! kthxbye

Edited by mindfly

Lidstrom is still easily a top 5 defenseman in the league, and you expect him to take a $3 million paycut?

You guys kill me sometimes. For the good of the team he should play another grueling season for millions less than his market value? :blink:

If he signs for anything under 6 mill, he would officially be Saint Nick in Detroit.

Exactly. People here are somewhat over-optimistic about this. There's never been anything suggesting he'd take anything more than a slight pay cut. It's insulting to him to expect him to take a cut of the proportions some people are suggesting.

My personal thoughts and impression from what I've heard is that we're looking at a number just a slight bit under 7 million. That's a guess, but I'd say it's a more reasonable one than something like 4 or 5 million. And let's be honest - most teams would easily give him 9 million without blinking (assuming they had the cap space). His salary last year was already a hometown discount.

At the time he signed the contract that expired just now his market value was 8.5 or something so 7.45 was 1 million hometown discount (he was a norris winning 65-80pts D).. his value now..49pts last season no norris nomination decent +/-... around 6million?.. so 1million hometown discount...=5Million.. done deal! kthxbye

you know thats not fair, we all know lids means to much to this team, hes our mvp, and once he leaves things will be sour.

Also you have to be one generous man to do that, but im starting to agree with others, why not just take that 1 year with a huge paycut to win?

Edited by Puckpossession

I still feel he's a top 10 player in the game. That puts his market value much over 6 million. While my personal feelings of a 9 million value on the open market might be a little high, I'd say that 6 is insultingly low.

I'd rather he just retire unless he signs for 5 mil. Seriously. The guy is great but I really don't want to watch another year with the same team+Hudler-Williams... with Lidstrom a year older. He's looking human now, what's he gonna look like by the end of next season?

I'll be pissed if he makes 6+. And I will lose a little respect for him.

I'd rather he just retire unless he signs for 5 mil. Seriously. The guy is great but I really don't want to watch another year with the same team+Hudler-Williams... with Lidstrom a year older. He's looking human now, what's he gonna look like by the end of next season?

While I agree that I want a bit more change than Hudler for Williams, getting rid of Lidstrom is not the answer.

Say he asks for 7 million, which you would not want. What possible additions could we make that would actually be an upgrade for that money? If Lidstrom's gone, while that might mean change, it would be a change for the worse.

While I agree that I want a bit more change than Hudler for Williams, getting rid of Lidstrom is not the answer.

Say he asks for 7 million, which you would not want. What possible additions could we make that would actually be an upgrade for that money? If Lidstrom's gone, while that might mean change, it would be a change for the worse.

If he asks for 7 million, then he doesn't really care about a Cup. Just sayin'. He knows full well what this team needs and if he isn't willing to sacrifice some of his salary to help fill that need, then why bother? That's all I'm saying. Of course he is worth it. But giving him a huge salary just for the sake of watching him play another season would be a drag.

Edited by Broken 16

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

He's looking human, but still like one of the best human defenseman the league has.

The way some of you talk, maybe he should go play for Stevie in Tampa Bay and get the money and respect he deserves. Then we'll see how human he looks when he's not on the Wings.

If he asks for 7 million, then he doesn't really care about a Cup. Just sayin'. He knows full well what this team needs and if he isn't willing to sacrifice some of his salary to help fill that need, then why bother? That's all I'm saying. Of course he is worth it. But giving him a huge salary just for the sake of watching him play another season would be a drag.

It's not Nick's job to manage the money situation. That's Holland's.

The reason he gets the huge salary is because he is a large part of the reason this team is good year after year.

Some of his salary is one thing, but you guys are talking about millions of dollars.

Nice to see all the same sentiments here. Lidstrom know this team needs major improvement in order to compete for the Cup. He needs to step up, tell Holland he'll take the $3M paycut in order to get the right players here to compete for one more Cup before he retires. If He asks for $7M, I personally think that eats up WAY too much salary cap and would rather see him go and throw $4M a piece at Mitchell and Derek Morris. Listen, life will go on with Lidstrom. He is old and showing his human side. Sure he is still may be a top 10 defensman in the league, but I would rather better this teams chances winning again, than just being able to watch Nick play again and lose in the first round or maybe not make the playoffs...

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

He's looking human, but still like one of the best human defenseman the league has.

The way some of you talk, maybe he should go play for Stevie in Tampa Bay and get the money and respect he deserves. Then we'll see how human he looks when he's not on the Wings.

It's not Nick's job to manage the money situation. That's Holland's.

The reason he gets the huge salary is because he is a large part of the reason this team is good year after year.

Some of his salary is one thing, but you guys are talking about millions of dollars.

This isn't really up to Holland. Lidstrom is in the drivers seat and if he demands 6+, then he isn't really all that interested in another Cup. That's all I'm saying. And there has been a decline in play. And there is no reason to believe the decline won't continue.

We can dicker all day long about what he deserves and in the end, we would probably be close. But based on what I've heard, he would come back for another chance at a Cup. If that's what he truly wants, signing for 6+ won't really go very far in helping his cause. Demanding 6+ will show, to me anyway, that he comes back more for money than for a chance to win another Cup. And, yes, that will tarnish him a bit in my eyes.

This isn't really up to Holland. Lidstrom is in the drivers seat and if he demands 6+, then he isn't really all that interested in another Cup. That's all I'm saying. And there has been a decline in play. And there is no reason to believe the decline won't continue.

We can dicker all day long about what he deserves and in the end, we would probably be close. But based on what I've heard, he would come back for another chance at a Cup. If that's what he truly wants, signing for 6+ won't really go very far in helping his cause. Demanding 6+ will show, to me anyway, that he comes back more for money than for a chance to win another Cup. And, yes, that will tarnish him a bit in my eyes.

funny how most of us agree, but I am still getting negatives on my original post. Oh well, must have been the Hurdler comments. Listen, just cause he wears the winged wheel doesn't mean I have to like him, you will all need a scapegoat next year and Happy is gonna be the guy, just watch. he'll make his awesome defensive plays every game next season and you will all wonder no longer why he couldn't even make the National Team...