• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

king_malice

Articles/Reports on players coming in and going out..

Rate this topic

May 30, 2010 // 11:34am ET

Maltby finished in Detroit?

TheFourthPeriod.com

According to the Edmonton Journal, veteran Red Wings forward Kirk Maltby might not be returning to Detroit next season.

Maltby, 37, is set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1 and even though he doesn't make significant dollars, he understands he isn't the team's top priority.

"There is only so much money to go around. I'm sure it'll be Nick (Lidstrom), then (Tomas Holmstrom) ... a lot of pieces have to fall into place after that. It's a grey picture right now," Maltby told the Journal.

Maltby, a four-time Stanley Cup champion, has played 1,072 NHL games, most of which with the Wings.

Maltby's future in Detroit likely rests with how much money Lidstrom re-signs for. Despite all the questions surrounding the defenseman's future, Maltby expects him to return.

"I would be surprised if Nick stepped away. It'll just be a matter of the terms with Nick. It's not like he's lost a step or there's any one aspect of his game that has fallen by the wayside. I would be hard-pressed to find anything like that," said Maltby.

hmmm it would be kind of cool for him to sign a 1-2 year deal to finish off his career where he started it, as an Edmonton Oiler

Seems more and more likely that he would sign in Tampa now. I love Malts but really do not see his role on our team in the future, and could see him being very valuable another year or two on a team like Tampa now that Stevie is running things.

I just see his roster spot being filled with someone younger and better, and for the same price.

Is a Maltby sign and trade possible?

I dont think Kenny would do that, the only problem with that is you could potentially pay Maltby to much and no body wants to take that contract on or you sign him to cheap and someone defintly takes him and it helps them out with the Cap

Guest Crymson

Is a Maltby sign and trade possible?

Holland doesn't work that way, and for good reason.

May 31, 2010 // 9:53am ET

Wings unlikely to have busy summer

TheFourthPeriod.com

Don't expect Red Wings GM Ken Holland to go after a number of big-name free agents this summer (SHOCKER LOL ), reports the Detroit News.

According to the paper, the Wings will be relatively quiet this summer, outside of trying to re-sign their own free agents, like Nicklas Lidstrom, Tomas Holmstrom, Todd Bertuzzi and Kirk Maltby.

The Wings have already re-added Jiri Hudler, who spent this past season in Russia and will give the team some extra scoring punch.

The Edmonton Journal reported this weekend that Maltby may not be brought back, and the veteran forward understands the team may have other priorities.

"There is only so much money to go around. I'm sure it'll be Nick (Lidstrom), then (Tomas Holmstrom) ... a lot of pieces have to fall into place after that. It's a grey picture right now," Maltby told the Journal.

The News, however, does suggest the Wings could go after a depth forward, with Atlanta Thrashers forward Colby Armstrong linked as a possibility.

At least maybe Colby Armstrong that would be sweet!

May 31, 2010 // 9:53am ET

Wings unlikely to have busy summer

TheFourthPeriod.com

Don't expect Red Wings GM Ken Holland to go after a number of big-name free agents this summer (SHOCKER LOL ), reports the Detroit News.

According to the paper, the Wings will be relatively quiet this summer, outside of trying to re-sign their own free agents, like Nicklas Lidstrom, Tomas Holmstrom, Todd Bertuzzi and Kirk Maltby.

The Wings have already re-added Jiri Hudler, who spent this past season in Russia and will give the team some extra scoring punch.

The Edmonton Journal reported this weekend that Maltby may not be brought back, and the veteran forward understands the team may have other priorities.

The News, however, does suggest the Wings could go after a depth forward, with Atlanta Thrashers forward Colby Armstrong linked as a possibility.

At least maybe Colby Armstrong that would be sweet!

It would be sweet if we got Armstrong,but he wouldn't be the "gritty 4th liner" would he?I thought we were heading towards a guy that will fight a bit more.

I dont think when kenny says gritty he means fights, i think he means a guy that finishes his checks every shift punishes the D on the dump in. which i would much rather have a guy that hits and makes other players feel pain every shift then i guy that sits on the bench most of the game then in the box for 5 min, Armstrong will fight not very good but will,and he is DEFINTLY a BIG hitter. Plus he can put up points to.

(57 sec'ish)

I could see Maltby signing with Tampa. He's been with the Wings since, like 1995, so Stevie knows him quite well. Like him or not, he is a champion and would bring that mindset and his four Cups to the Bolts, and add a veteran presence to Tampa.

The only question is (and this applies for any team, not just Tampa), would Malts want to move his family for a year or two? I read an article where he said he wouldn't look forward to that, so maybe if the Wings don't sign him he'd retire.

Edited by Yzermania19

So In other words..we can expect the same team for next season.....hmmm craptacular!

Did you read the entire original post?

Did you catch the part about Armstrong?

That would be at least 15 goals from a right-handed versatile winger who plays a physical game. Hardly "the same team". No?

Maltby has played his last game as a Wing in my opinion.

He is good friends with Todd MacLellan though. I would not be surprised to see him sign a 2-3 year deal in SJ.

I have to agree with this. Wherever he ends up at least he'll still be able to play a little longer.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Hudler-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Filppula-Armstrong

Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm

yaaaa ill take that line up

I might change a few lines around but otherwise I love the line up! :thumbup::thumbup:

I'd be psyched to get Armstrong, and though I wouldn't admit it a year ago, Hudler being back will have a huge impact on this team.

I would be extremely happy if we signed Armstrong. Sure I want us to sign either Nystrom or Burish but Armstrong hits just as hard or harder then both of them and could potentially put up 40 points.

Sure he doesn't fight as much but he still will go. Armstrong would be a dirty signing.

It would be sweet if we got Armstrong,but he wouldn't be the "gritty 4th liner" would he?I thought we were heading towards a guy that will fight a bit more.

Fighting /= Grit.

Fighting = 5 minutes in the box.

Grit = tough, feisty, aggressive.

I would be extremely happy if we signed Armstrong. Sure I want us to sign either Nystrom or Burish but Armstrong hits just as hard or harder then both of them and could potentially put up 40 points.

Sure he doesn't fight as much but he still will go. Armstrong would be a dirty signing.

Yeah, about that... He drops the gloves 1-2 times a year and gets dominated every time. I would rather not even have him fight.

Fighting /= Grit.

Fighting = 5 minutes in the box.

Grit = tough, feisty, aggressive.

AGREED!

player 1

7-10 fights, 5-8min of ice time per game,15-25pts

player 2

2-3 fights, 14-18 min on ice, 30-40pts, and punishes guys every shift with hits.

ill take player 2 all day

Edited by king_malice

AGREED!

player 1

7-10 fights, 5-8min of ice time per game,15-25pts

player 2

2-3 fights, 14-18 min on ice, 30-40pts

ill take player 2 all day

Why do a large percentage of LGWers assume that the forth line should somehow log 12+ minutes a night? There simply isn't enough ice time for that to happen with powerplays and PK's. Also, there are a light of 'fighters' who can play a PK shift, thus increasing their minutes. However, this won't increase their points.

Also, a player that plays feisty and hits is going to be asked to fight (not infrequently). Therefore, fighting and hitting are not wholly separable. Also, I fail to see the logic in not wanting someone who can stick up for their skilled (weaker) players. I'd be willing to bet that most of the anti-enforcer crowd on LGW have never played competitive hockey.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

because if we got Colby Armstrong he would not be on the 4th line

I was speaking (typing) in more general terms. I don't think the addition of Armstrong would necessarily mean that another gritty player won't be signed. Without letting Bert, Homer, or someone else most assume have a spot on the roster, there is little room for Armstrong under the cap with Lids coming back for 5+ million. I would love to have Armstrong, but I think the Wings need to keep looking for someone with more toughness than him (for the forth line, whether or not Armstrong is signed). If Abby is the toughest player on the Wings next year, I will be disappointed.