• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

July 1st...

Rate this topic

Is anyone else bored out of their mind and done with the "fun speculation" crap?

I'm VERY ready for 7/1 to get here already... not just for the Wings (as it actually probably won't have much - if any - effect on us anyway) but just for some excitement and substance instead of all the talking heads...

Is anyone else bored out of their mind and done with the "fun speculation" crap?

I'm VERY ready for 7/1 to get here already... not just for the Wings (as it actually probably won't have much - if any - effect on us anyway) but just for some excitement and substance instead of all the talking heads...

Yeah. Definitely not the Wings. Holland has basically said that IF he signs anyone it won't be until the dust settles (sometime after July 3) and all the expensive and overpriced players have signed before he goes digging for the right player.

Edited by rick zombo

Memo to Chicago

Re: July 1.

Just a samll reminder: birthday party going on in Canada on this date and most businesses will be closed. Try to get your contract offers out before that then. We wouldn't want to see someone be re-located to another position...again.

Memo to Chicago

Just a samll reminder: birthday party going on in Canada on this date and most businesses will be closed. Try to get your contract offers out before that then. We wouldn't want to see someone be re-located to another position...again.

Memo to at least 5 Hawks players

K later

I honestly don't expect to see much happening with our beloved Red Wings come July 1st...I'm more interested in the draft, and whom the Wings pick.

Agreed, and that wasn't really the point of the thread...

The draft will be interesting too, but usually the guys the Wings pick aren't very well known, so it's harder to get excited about the draft, as we won't really know what most of our picks are going to be, for at least 3 years... and for that reason, July 1st always intrigues me more

Agreed, and that wasn't really the point of the thread...

The draft will be interesting too, but usually the guys the Wings pick aren't very well known, so it's harder to get excited about the draft, as we won't really know what most of our picks are going to be, for at least 3 years... and for that reason, July 1st always intrigues me more

I have a feeling that the climate is changing in Detroit's head office. I really think Holland and Nill are trying to find players they can fast-track to the NHL (at least when compared to their previous 5 year AHL Marination Plan)

I honestly don't think Holland, and Nill will do anything different; they'll pick the most skilled guys regardless their size, or where they're from, and will let them mature at their own pace.

They'll fill in the holes via inexpensive UFAs.

I agree with this more or less, but I think they're starting to focus on size more than they had in the past during the draft

I rarely get bored with stuff in general because I'm always busy with work or other stuff at home or personally.

Sports wise at least, thankfully I have a temporary delay for yapping about wanting September and October to come for football and hockey again - I'll tune in a good bit to the World Cup presently and my alma mater has a shot at making the College World Series so that's also going on presently as well.

Free agency is cool, but I typically don't pay too much attention to it, just don't keep up with player personnel and the like all that well.

But overall, while I don't get bored or have "withdrawals" since I'm always occupied with something at work or personally pretty much, I do not like summer as there is barely jack squat to watch after NHL/NBA playoffs and Wimbeldon. Kudos if you do like baseball and the like, but that's just not my cup of tea really.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

If what some scouts say is true of McIlrath (potential to be somewhere in between a Derian Hatcher, and Chris Pronger), and he's available - I hope he'll then be a Red Wing, but I won't hold my breath.

Yeah, I'm trying not get my hopes up too much; I suspect he'll be picked before the Wings get a chance. I liked the sound of a player like that, though, and think it would help.

Agreed, this offseason is going to be great.

- Kovalchuk, Marleau, Volchenkov, Turco, etc UFAs

- The Blackhawks and the moves they will have to make

- Burke and the Leafs who will try to move Kaberle for some immediate impact player

- Some goalies who should be on the block: Thomas, one of Price/Halak, Harding, Huet

- Florida Panthers cleaning house (as the claimed they would)

and who knows what else

- Burke and the Leafs who will try to move Kaberle for some immediate impact player

- Some goalies who should be on the block: Thomas, one of Price/Halak, Harding, Huet

and who knows what else

agreed... whats up with your avatar and tagline though? is that a joke... it makes me physically ill to look at...

I'm definitely excited for July 1.

I know that the aforementioned goalies will be on the block, but who is going to take them? Thomas, Price, and Huet are all over-priced. I just can't see them actually getting moved based on what they're getting paid for how they've performed lately. Having said that, I guess a change of scenery can be nice (see: some Finnish dude) and there are always GM's out there who are ready to make stupid moves.

I know that the aforementioned goalies will be on the block, but who is going to take them? Thomas, Price, and Huet are all over-priced. I just can't see them actually getting moved based on what they're getting paid for how they've performed lately. Having said that, I guess a change of scenery can be nice (see: some Finnish dude) and there are always GM's out there who are ready to make stupid moves.

of the 3, I think Thomas and Price would be a decent gamble depending on the situation:

Thomas - A team BADLY in need of goaltending, where he'd be the guaranteed starter - I think that year was a down year for him and think he will bounce back

Price - A team with a strong defense and no goaltending, or a team with an aging netminder, who Price could relieve the load and take over as starter starting 2012, given he actually shows his potential and doesn't slide backwards... or a team with an uncertainty between the pipes

A great fit for Thomas, may be a team like Edmonton or NYI and a great for fit for Price may be a team like NJ or possibly even Wash or Tampa Bay

of the 3, I think Thomas and Price would be a decent gamble depending on the situation:

Thomas - A team BADLY in need of goaltending, where he'd be the guaranteed starter - I think that year was a down year for him and think he will bounce back

Price - A team with a strong defense and no goaltending, or a team with an aging netminder, who Price could relieve the load and take over as starter starting 2012, given he actually shows his potential and doesn't slide backwards... or a team with an uncertainty between the pipes

A great fit for Thomas, may be a team like Edmonton or NYI and a great for fit for Price may be a team like NJ or possibly even Wash or Tampa Bay

I could see the Lightning rolling the dice on Price. Not too sure where Thomas would fit in, but he's a great guy so that might earn him some points.

We can agree that Huet is dead weight, though, right?

Isn't that Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movies? All Pierre needs is a hairless cat...

I think he already has one. :sly:

I'm just waiting for the end of June...I'm going to the Draft (woohoo!), the schedule will come out, and then July will be here and we'll get everything straightened out. I don't care what Kenny does, as long as he does the right thing...whatever it takes, as they say.

I could see the Lightning rolling the dice on Price. Not too sure where Thomas would fit in, but he's a great guy so that might earn him some points.

We can agree that Huet is dead weight, though, right?

oh, without a doubt... he really proved himself a barely capable backup this past season... I'd take a flier on the guy for like 1 mil as a backup, but that's about it... I can't see Chicago finding a partner to take that deal, unless they somehow throw some package together where basically the teams takes on Huet's salary as part of the deal and isn't a bonus to the deal, but a burden rather...

***DISCLAIMER - I'm not actually suggesting this, just using it as an example***

Huet, Sharp and a late level pick to Toronto for a prospect and a pick

In other words, basically moving one of their coveted pieces in exchange for a prospect, pick and salary dump, and the only way they'll give them to another team, is by taking Huet's ridiculous contract along with it...

Price is an RFA and his cap hit was $2.2 last year. I'd say any of the teams looking for goalies will be interested in him.

Thomas and Huet not so much, though someone will probably take Thomas, being only 2-years removed from a Vezina. There aren't many teams looking for goalies though, and with Price, Turco, Theodore, and Nabokov, and a handful of cheaper options I wouldn't be shocked if Boston gets stuck with him. Hard to see anyone willing to trade for Huet. He'll probably be waived or bought-out, and end up in the KHL.

Who's actually in the market for goalies? Sharks, Atlanta, Ottawa, maybe Philly and Edmonton? Washington, LA, Islanders, Boston, and Chicago may look for new backups, but only LA and NY have the space for someone expensive. Islanders will suck regardless, and are hemmorrhaging money, so they might not want anyone. LA is expected to go after Kovie, and have some other needs that could fill up their cap, so they might be out too.

Not a good time to be a goalie that anyone's ever heard of. Everyone's going to be looking for cheap rookies.

agreed... whats up with your avatar and tagline though? is that a joke... it makes me physically ill to look at...

Not a joke, Pierre is the man :thumbup:

I agree that Huet will be difficult to move, But Thomas I could see. Only thing I foresee is that there is going to be more goalies available this summer than teams that need goalies, making Huet's chances of being moved even slimmer hehe.

It will be interesting to see if the Sharks stick with Nabokov (UFA) or try to get someone like Price/Halak/Harding who could be their future in net.

Guest Crymson

and who knows what else

This summer's FA pool will be the weakest since the lockout.