• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Last pieces for 10-11 roster

Rate this topic

Both Kenny and Jim have stated that that is all we are looking at bringing in. Lilja is an option for the D position along with Janik who is already signed up. Judging by the costs who else out there on the ufa list at the $.5-$.7m price tag could we bring in. I would say that they will be looking for a veteran to play alongside either Big rig or Kindl. One guy that no one seems to have suggested and has played under Babs before is Skoula. A former first round pick with good size and was low end salary last season, $.575m. Could also help Kindl as well being a Czech. Good puck mover and tidy in his own end, may be a little slow for the wings style but is 4 years younger than Lilja and if we get him at last seasons cost alot cheaper too.

Other options worth looking at in the $ bracket are S Brookbank, A Johnson, J Harrison and J Scott.

The 4th liner is a more interesting topic. There are a few guys out there who are just out and out enforcer's who don't really serve as the type of player the Wings will entertain although some fans would love. E Boulton, B McGrattan, R Ivanans, S Macintyre and the Boogeyman

are all available, although Derek is not in the $ catergory I stated above. The wings want a guy who can play as well as agitate, put some numbers up. Alot of fans on here are high on Asham, but after last season I can see him wanting a rise from his $.640m. Maybe just a bit more than we are willing to pay. 2 guys on the Isles roster last year, Gilles and Jackman did a good job for them, Jackman has the more skill and would fit better on the wings roster. The Avs Hendricks would also be a good fit on the 4th line too. My own choice would be Adam Mair. He could be the closest to Drake that is available at present. Cap hit last year was $.760m. One guy I would love us to get is

Evgeny Artyukhin, his cap hit is maybe too high, but I just feel he would bring a presence to the ice we haven't had for awhile. He's been getting 15-16 points a year on bad teams, I just think he would thrive in Detroit. So with the cap issues, I am going with Mair as our new 4th liner and Skoula as our 6/7D man, at a combined cap hit of $1.5m.

I read this morning Ponkarovsky could sign with the Wings or Thrashers

- "Alexei Ponikarovsky is likely leaving the Penguins. Detroit and Atlanta are two teams to watch here".

heard this from a few places not sure if this was before signing Bert and Homer, but this was posted today so i dont know

I read this morning Ponkarovsky could sign with the Wings or Thrashers

- "Alexei Ponikarovsky is likely leaving the Penguins. Detroit and Atlanta are two teams to watch here".

heard this from a few places not sure if this was before signing Bert and Homer, but this was posted today so i dont know

Not sure what Ponikarovsky could possibly bring to the Wings, we've already got one Bertuzzi. Another big guy that doesn't hit, not at all what the Wings need right now.

I have been pro-Artyukhin since last off-season, the guy is huge, hits, fights, and has underrated hands from what I saw 2 years ago in TB, he didn't get much of a chance in Anaheim and got shipped off to Atlanta at the deadline, so his perceived value could be at an all-time low, we could snag him for around 750k and he would be a force on our 4th line.

my top 5 not expensive:

defense:

1-shane hnidy 750.000

2-aaron johnson 540.000

3-martin skoula 575.000

4-freddy meyer 600.000

5-alex henry tough defense

forward:

1-adam mair 775.000

2-rob schremp 715.000

3-eric nystrom 775.000

4-steve begin 850.000

5-kyle chipchura 500.000

I have been pro-Artyukhin since last off-season, the guy is huge, hits, fights, and has underrated hands from what I saw 2 years ago in TB, he didn't get much of a chance in Anaheim and got shipped off to Atlanta at the deadline, so his perceived value could be at an all-time low, we could snag him for around 750k and he would be a force on our 4th line.

I agree. Arty's been homeless like Bert for a while. I bet if Kenny gives him a 2-3 year deal he'd sign dirt cheap unless he wants to play in Russia.

2010 Wishlist:

Vaclav Prospal Current Salary $1,100,000

Evgeny Artyukhin Current Salary $1,000,000

Garnet Exelby Current Salary $1,725,000

Andrew Hutchinson Current Salry $600,000

Edited by KDDRWINGS1

I agree. Arty's been homeless like Bert for a while. I bet if Kenny gives him a 2-3 year deal he'd sign dirt cheap unless he wants to play in Russia.

He has already done that before, after the lockout he stayed and played 2 more years despite being under contract to TB, so hopefully that will no longer be a concern. This guy has the potential to become an absolute beast if he gets a chance to play regularly. If we sign him for our 4th line, he will probably end up playing the wing on Helm and Eaves line, and he is a good enough skater to keep up with those two, and could really do some damage.

He has already done that before, after the lockout he stayed and played 2 more years despite being under contract to TB, so hopefully that will no longer be a concern. This guy has the potential to become an absolute beast if he gets a chance to play regularly. If we sign him for our 4th line, he will probably end up playing the wing on Helm and Eaves line, and he is a good enough skater to keep up with those two, and could really do some damage.

With regular playing time and the type of coaching/mentoring he would get in Detroit I would see him on the third line with Hoodles and Cleary before mid-season. If they sign Artyukhin and Eaves then Miller's gone and the fourth line would consist of Artyukhin/Eaves, Helm, Draper and Abdelkader with Artyukhin/Eaves competing for the RW on the third line.

Any addition to the current team means one or more of Miller, Eaves and/or Ritola are gone.

Edit: Technically Helm or Abdelkader too, but I'd be beyond shocked if they let either of them go.

Edited by Jesusberg

Any addition to the current team means one or more of Miller, Eaves and/or Ritola are gone.

Edit: Technically Helm or Abdelkader too, but I'd be beyond shocked if they let either of them go.

Miller. He sucked in playoffs and was an average 4th liner in the regular season. He brings nothing to the table AT ALL.

I like the idea of Hnidy coming here for the 6th D spot, same with Jason Strudiwck.

At forward like OP stated, there are a lot of possibilities. I want Nystrom, Asham, Arty, Burish or possibly take a flier on Chipchura. I think he has untapped potential to score goals in the future as well as fight.

I don't see the love people on here have for Miller, he provides next to nothing except he can skate to take a 4th or 3rd line shift. Doesn't hit, fight, score many goals and he is not a phenomenal PK guy. The guys I listed all pretty much could kill penalties just as good.

We need a change in our bottom 6 to wear down other teams, hopefully its made at the expense of Miller. Konopka would be a decent addition as well if we go more the fighter route then if we go Drake type guy.

Edited by newfy

Chipchura re-signed with Anaheim.As far as Artyukhin goes,he's the last guy I want on this team.He takes FAR too many penalties to play in Detroit.Nystrom and Konopka are among my wishes.

Nystrom and Konopka are my top 2 as well. Nystrom for the Drake role and Konopka to take over May role. The thing about Arty is that he has the potential to be a 20 goal scorer, be one of the hardest hitters in the league and a very good fighter. In the long run he could be the best signing out of them all because he could end up a second line player.

Thats the only reason I would want Arty but I for sure want the other 2 here first.

Does anyone else think Boynton is a possibility as our 6th defenseman? Chicago isn't exactly going to be able to sign a lot of their free agents.

Nystrom and Konopka are my top 2 as well. Nystrom for the Drake role and Konopka to take over May role. The thing about Arty is that he has the potential to be a 20 goal scorer, be one of the hardest hitters in the league and a very good fighter. In the long run he could be the best signing out of them all because he could end up a second line player.

Thats the only reason I would want Arty but I for sure want the other 2 here first.

Does anyone else think Boynton is a possibility as our 6th defenseman? Chicago isn't exactly going to be able to sign a lot of their free agents.

Chicago already stated he's not in their plans going forward.

Miller. He sucked in playoffs and was an average 4th liner in the regular season. He brings nothing to the table AT ALL.

I like the idea of Hnidy coming here for the 6th D spot, same with Jason Strudiwck.

At forward like OP stated, there are a lot of possibilities. I want Nystrom, Asham, Arty, Burish or possibly take a flier on Chipchura. I think he has untapped potential to score goals in the future as well as fight.

I don't see the love people on here have for Miller, he provides next to nothing except he can skate to take a 4th or 3rd line shift. Doesn't hit, fight, score many goals and he is not a phenomenal PK guy. The guys I listed all pretty much could kill penalties just as good.

We need a change in our bottom 6 to wear down other teams, hopefully its made at the expense of Miller. Konopka would be a decent addition as well if we go more the fighter route then if we go Drake type guy.

Miller is probably already gone. Counting Helm and Abby, we have 12 forwards. I doubt we'll carry 14 forwards, so any outside UFA would likely mean losing either Eaves or Ritola. If we go with a full 23 man roster, I would guess Meech would get the final spot, for his ability to play defense or forward. (Not to mention, after signing Helm, Abby, Eaves, and a defenseman, we'll probably have no more than $500K to spare, if even that.)

Miller is probably already gone. Counting Helm and Abby, we have 12 forwards. I doubt we'll carry 14 forwards, so any outside UFA would likely mean losing either Eaves or Ritola. If we go with a full 23 man roster, I would guess Meech would get the final spot, for his ability to play defense or forward. (Not to mention, after signing Helm, Abby, Eaves, and a defenseman, we'll probably have no more than $500K to spare, if even that.)

Holland said if Meech can't get a full time roster spot that e'll be traded.

Chicago already stated he's not in their plans going forward.

Boynton would be a very good guy to replace Lilly pads.

Oh man we could definitely combine all of these threads for one mega thread but its offseason and here I am thumbing through all of these lol. I got to say if Ponikarovsky comes here I will throw a damn s*** fit! He is a cancer, from what has been said and the talent is never realized because of that crap. No thanks.

I personally would love to see Boynton in Detroit. He'd be a great third pairing guy if Big Rig or Kindl struggled at any point.

Although our front office seem loathed to actually trade any of our assests, maybe dealing some may get Kenny that guy he seems to be after and still have some $ to play with come trade deadline. I see we still have just over $5m with 18 players on the roster will all the RFAs be offered a contract or can we trade RFA's?

Wrong... him and Eaves together brought our PK out of the basement last season. I'm not completely sold on keeping him either, but your statement about him reeks of ignorance. Our awful PK cost us a lot of games early-early mid season last year.

Edited by Broken 16

Wrong... him and Eaves together brought our PK out of the basement last season. I'm not completely sold on keeping him either, but your statement about him reeks of ignorance. Our awful PK cost us a lot of games early-early mid season last year.

I really don't think "Miller" fixed our PK. I think it was the fact that the wings signed some role players who knew they needed to find a niche to stay on the team that fixed our PK. Eaves and Miller both knew they weren't going to be scorers and since Miller doesn't hit, fight or score so he knew he had to do something.

We could sign any average role player in this league and he would PK just as well as Miller, as wings fans we're just to used to seeing our stars get burnt out on the PK and every other special teams so once we see a guy who fills a pretty average role we really think he provides something special.

He did well in his role but he was pretty average league wide and Eaves and Helm were better PKers I think.

I really like what Miller brought for us...he stepped in and helped out when our team was in shambles with a few timely goals and really helped our struggling pk...

the only problem is that we are going to have at least 2 forwards sitting at all times if all our RFA's sign and we stay healthy...

Hudler, Datsyuk, Holmstrom

Franzen, Zetterberg, Cleary

Bertuzzi, Filppula, Ritola

Abdelkader, Helm, Eaves

Draper, Miller

2 of those bottom 5 will be healthy scratches on a nightly basis, swapping in and out of the lineup as chemistry dictates...

I think they all deserve roster spots...

it will be difficult to decide who's in and who's out every night...

:(