• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
xtrememachine1

Sharks sign RFA Niklas Hjalmarsson

Rate this topic

So he will be making more then kronwall....???? He had 17 pts and kronwall had 26??? In only 40 some games and had 51 points last year.... I'm confused.... Lol well guess we got a steal and once again Chicago is paying too much lol

Hjalmarsson is much more solid defensively than Kronwall though. 3.5 mil is a slight overpayment but it's not really outrageous at all. 2.5-3.0 mil would have been just right.

And to whoever said he's only been good one season, Hjalmarsson was one of Chicago's best players in the playoffs 2 years ago. Scotty Bowman himself couldn't stop praising him.

If I'm Campbell, I'm not only willing to waive my NTC, I'm willing to renegotiate my contract to get away from that joke of a franchise. There is a meltdown in Chi-Town, and I would want no part of it. Plus, I would rather be moved to a potential cup contender.

Unfortunately for Campbell, no team is willing to take on his ridiculous contract.

Can't renegotiate under the CBA

Hjalmarsson is much more solid defensively than Kronwall though. 3.5 mil is a slight overpayment but it's not really outrageous at all. 2.5-3.0 mil would have been just right.

And to whoever said he's only been good one season, Hjalmarsson was one of Chicago's best players in the playoffs 2 years ago. Scotty Bowman himself couldn't stop praising him.

All I said was that he has only played one full season in the NHL. While its a skewed comparison in terms of skill, his situation could be reminiscent of Ericsson's, who was very highly touted a year ago after a great stint at the NHL level, but is now somewhat of a question mark. Not saying he'll falter, but you never know.

My point was that 1.5 seasons of good play isn't enough to warrent 3.5 million in salary, but hey, anything that makes their situaiton more complicated is good in my book, but if I'm them I'd rather keep Sharp over Hjalmarsson.

Guest Crymson

Cambells NTC is limited to him sending the Hawks a list of 8 teams he can be traded to. Per Lubrun at espn

I'd be shocked if any team were willing to take on his ridiculous contract.

If I'm Campbell, I'm not only willing to waive my NTC, I'm willing to renegotiate my contract to get away from that joke of a franchise. There is a meltdown in Chi-Town, and I would want no part of it. Plus, I would rather be moved to a potential cup contender.

Unfortunately for Campbell, no team is willing to take on his ridiculous contract.

I don't think there are many cup contenders who have that kind of cap space. Washington maybe, but Campbell would eat up the rest of their cap space and they don't need another defensman whose terrible in their own zone. How much sense would a Campbell for Green trade make? LA has 17M in wiggle room, but they've only got 16 players signed. I doubt they want to use up nearly half of that space on one terrible player. From there, you move on to middle of the pack teams, and that's a crap shoot to figure out who will be the next year's surprise team. Colorado, Phoenix, St. Louis, Nashville (even though in-division trading is shunned, I imagine Chicago just wants to get rid of the guy), Buffalo, and Anaheim would be the only teams with a foreseeable shot of making the playoffs and having enough cap room to take on his contract. If you're deciding where to live, the only place that looks more pleasing than Chicago on that list is Anaheim, but could you imagine Campbell's defense in front of Toskola?

Sorry that was long winded lol. Basically, why move if you don't have to? Even if your team sucks next year, you're the defending Stanley Cup champs. If you stick it out there for a while and improve your game to the point where a better team with some space would be willing to take a flier, I doubt there would be a better place for him than Chicago right now.

Guest nutz2u

Cambells NTC is limited to him sending the Hawks a list of 8 teams he can be traded to. Per Lubrun at espn

And you can bet that none of them would be a bottom feeder that could afford him.

Guest nutz2u

Wouldn't have helped much, he has a pretty friendly cap hit. Hossa + Plug > Vertseeg + Buffy. Now if they had never signed Hossa in the first place, they wouldn't have the $4 mil in carryover, THEN they would be in pretty good shape.

Trading Hossa and buying out Huet would have given them 9M in cap to work with, which is a hell of a lot better than the s*** they're in now.

Paging Dudley in Atlanta.

Seriously, if Dudley helps them again...

Keep in mind, he's helping himself too - he's gotten a lot of quality talent back in return... I just think he should have been more shrewd with the picks he gave up...

If anything, this would actually be a good signing for them, with what the lack on the back-end, Campbell would help them a LOT (regardless of his bloated contract) and they have the cap space...

If anything Dudley should just pitch them an offer and say something along the lines of - "look, we already gave you a TON and we'll help you lower that cap again, but this time, we're going to need to make a more Atlanta friendly deal - we'll give you (insert 2 low level prospects here) for Campbell"

Guest Heaten

Keep in mind, he's helping himself too - he's gotten a lot of quality talent back in return... I just think he should have been more shrewd with the picks he gave up...

If anything, this would actually be a good signing for them, with what the lack on the back-end, Campbell would help them a LOT (regardless of his bloated contract) and they have the cap space...

If anything Dudley should just pitch them an offer and say something along the lines of - "look, we already gave you a TON and we'll help you lower that cap again, but this time, we're going to need to make a more Atlanta friendly deal - we'll give you (insert 2 low level prospects here) for Campbell"

I highly doubt Atlanta is one of Campbell's 8 teams he's willing to waive his NTC for. My guess is he wants to go to San Jose, Red Wings, Penguins, or other contenders who can't/won't afford him.

I highly doubt Atlanta is one of Campbell's 8 teams he's willing to waive his NTC for. My guess is he wants to go to San Jose, Red Wings, Penguins, or other contenders who can't/won't afford him.

I agree, I wasn't saying it was likely to happen or even a reasonable scenario - I was just pointing out, that it wouldn't JUST be a case of Atlanta "helping out" Chicago if this DID happen

EDIT - On second thought, maybe it's not that unlikely... what if his former teammates start recruiting him and talk him into it? It's supposed to be a great place to live, he'd be playing with familiar faces and wouldn't have to deal with the media BS he deals with in Chicago...

Edited by stevkrause

Guest Crymson

They have Bogosian, Enstrom, Hainsey, Oduya, Sopel and Valabik, and so they are not really lacking anything serious on D; if anything, Atlanta's defensive corps is the strongest part of their team. They certainly don't need to pick up Campbell, with his frequent defensive donk-ups and his insane contract, let alone actually give anything to Chicago in return. It would be very silly to do so. The fact that Atlanta is in the midst of attendance woes makes further unlikely any move on their part to pick up a such a huge contract for a player who won't bring production comparable to what he is being paid.

Edited by Crymson

They have Bogosian, Enstrom, Hainsey, Oduya, Sopel and Valabik, and so they are not really lacking anything serious on D; if anything, Atlanta's defensive corps is the strongest part of their team. They certainly don't need to pick up Campbell, with his frequent defensive donk-ups and his insane contract, let alone actually give anything to Chicago in return. It would be very silly to do so. The fact that Atlanta is in the midst of attendance woes makes further unlikely any move on their part to pick up a such a huge contract for a player who won't bring production comparable to what he is being paid.

I was referring to his offensive abilities and ability to QB a PP...

Trading Hossa and buying out Huet would have given them 9M in cap to work with, which is a hell of a lot better than the s*** they're in now.

Buying out or demoting Huet does not require trading Hossa, so it's hardly relevent.

I still say that Hossa plus a cheap player like Bickell or Dowell is better IMO than keeping two players like Versteeg and Byfuglien. And that's all they would have been able to do differently. People act like trading Hossa would have let them keep everyone.

Either way you look at it, Chicago is going to have a very good top 6, and not much beyond that.

Buying out or demoting Huet does not require trading Hossa, so it's hardly relevent.

I still say that Hossa plus a cheap player like Bickell or Dowell is better IMO than keeping two players like Versteeg and Byfuglien. And that's all they would have been able to do differently. People act like trading Hossa would have let them keep everyone.

Either way you look at it, Chicago is going to have a very good top 6, and not much beyond that.

Its starting too look like to me that they are going to have Toews and Kane in their top 6 and thats about it for talent. Sharp is really their only other top notch player in my opinion and he might be gone. Hossa just doesn't seem like anything special to me anymore, is he a top 6 plaayer yeah but he just doesn't seem like the difference maker he was with the wings in the regular season.I'm glad the wings let him go.

It looks to me like a slightly above average top 6, nothing amazing, with absolutely 0 depth scoring.

Sure Hossa's contract is palatable.. which is why he should have been the trade bait. absolutely no one wants to touch Brian Campbell or Cristobal Huet. I love Marian Hossa's game, but he's a carpetbagger. Hossa mustered only 3 goals in this Cup run. In the same run, Versteeg scored 6 and Byfuglien 11... you absolutely never ditch playoff scoring! especially not the ones developed through your farm system.

No worries, Hossa will make a wonderful trade chip come next offseason when them Hawks are ousted in the first round. :P

It's like a car crash, and I can't look away.

Agreed. Except it's really funny because it involves your douchebag neighbour who cheats with your wife and bought a Ferrari he can't afford.

Its starting too look like to me that they are going to have Toews and Kane in their top 6 and thats about it for talent. Sharp is really their only other top notch player in my opinion and he might be gone. Hossa just doesn't seem like anything special to me anymore, is he a top 6 plaayer yeah but he just doesn't seem like the difference maker he was with the wings in the regular season.I'm glad the wings let him go.

It looks to me like a slightly above average top 6, nothing amazing, with absolutely 0 depth scoring.

Sure Hossa's contract is palatable.. which is why he should have been the trade bait. absolutely no one wants to touch Brian Campbell or Cristobal Huet. I love Marian Hossa's game, but he's a carpetbagger. Hossa mustered only 3 goals in this Cup run. In the same run, Versteeg scored 6 and Byfuglien 11... you absolutely never ditch playoff scoring! especially not the ones developed through your farm system.

No worries, Hossa will make a wonderful trade chip come next offseason when them Hawks are ousted in the first round. :P

Hossa has a nice cap hit, but there's 11 years left on that deal, and that takes down it's value in trade.

I understand how badly many people here want to hate Hossa, but he's still an elite two-way forward. Probably the best overall forward on the team at the moment. Much better than Versteeg, and Buffy isn't even close to Versteeg. One good playoff run doesn't make Buffy some kind of playoff superstar. Hossa had a much better run two years ago; so that makes him 'playoff scoring', right? Bottom line is Byfuglien isn't a very good player.

Between Kane, Toews, Hossa, Brouwer, Bolland, and whoever else (Kopy :hehe: ), they have a very good top 6. If they can somehow get rid of Campbell and keep Sharp, it would give them one of the best top 6 units in the league. No matter what they did, their bottom 6 was going to be pretty weak, and they really couldn't have a better top 6 than they will by keeping Hossa.

If they had been smarter about the contracts they gave Huet, Campbell, and Hossa in the first place, they'd be much better off. That carryover, and the over-commitment that led to it, is what's tearing them apart now. But well, too bad for them. :D

Hossa has a nice cap hit, but there's 11 years left on that deal, and that takes down it's value in trade.

I understand how badly many people here want to hate Hossa, but he's still an elite two-way forward. Probably the best overall forward on the team at the moment. Much better than Versteeg, and Buffy isn't even close to Versteeg. One good playoff run doesn't make Buffy some kind of playoff superstar. Hossa had a much better run two years ago; so that makes him 'playoff scoring', right? Bottom line is Byfuglien isn't a very good player.

Between Kane, Toews, Hossa, Brouwer, Bolland, and whoever else (Kopy :hehe: ), they have a very good top 6. If they can somehow get rid of Campbell and keep Sharp, it would give them one of the best top 6 units in the league. No matter what they did, their bottom 6 was going to be pretty weak, and they really couldn't have a better top 6 than they will by keeping Hossa.

If they had been smarter about the contracts they gave Huet, Campbell, and Hossa in the first place, they'd be much better off. That carryover, and the over-commitment that led to it, is what's tearing them apart now. But well, too bad for them. :D

How can you say Byfuglien isn't a very good player and then mention Bolland and Brouwer as elite top 6 players? Byfuglien is as good or better than both of them, Versteeg as well.

They aren't going to be able to stack all of those guys on the top 2 lines either, as they will need to spread as much talent out as they can to make up for the fact that they'll have 5 or 6 scrubs filling out the bottom two lines.

No doubt Hossa is an elite player, and those who are saying otherwise are crazy. Its true he didn't do much last year in the playoffs (he didn't really need to) and did pretty darn well coming off surgery in the regular season. The Hawks will desperately need his scoring next year, so I can understand why they don't deal him.

That said, someone else is gonna have to be gone, as it stands now. I don't believe in any assumption that they will "somehow get rid of Campbell". I think Sharp is gone, which will be a major bite to them. There are many teams in the league that have amazing high end talent in their top 6, and don't make the playoffs or deep runs.

How can you say Byfuglien isn't a very good player and then mention Bolland and Brouwer as elite top 6 players? Byfuglien is as good or better than both of them, Versteeg as well.

They aren't going to be able to stack all of those guys on the top 2 lines either, as they will need to spread as much talent out as they can to make up for the fact that they'll have 5 or 6 scrubs filling out the bottom two lines.

Where did I say they were 'elite top 6 players' or even any better than Buffy or Versteeg? (Though I would say both are better than Buff, Brouwer for sure is.)

And I'd expect both to be in the top 6, assuming Sharp is traded. Bolland would certainly center the 2nd line, and Brouwer wouldn't do much on the third line with no support, so there'd be no point to it. And it's not like they have a ton of other options.