• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

datsyukian_deke13

Mike Modano signs with Detroit

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Why can't he wear number 9? :unsure:

Did someone in Detroit wear that number before I started watching hockey in 1993?

How can you even compare Howe with Fedorov, Howe is one of the 5 all time greats in hockey, up in the rafters, in the hall of fame etc... fedorov is nothing of this...

Edited by mindfly

How can you even compare Howe with Fedorov, Howe is one of the 5 all time greats in hockey, up in the rafters, in the hall of fame etc... fedorov is nothing of this...

Fedorov is one of the 5 best Wings players ever, which is what the whole retired numbers thing is about. Has nothing to do with all time league standings.

I'm guessing you became a Wings fan the moment we started loading up on Swedes, and not when Fedorov was here and beloved by Wings fans. Giving Madonna his number, let alone a number Madonna never wore, would be a slap in the face to Fedorov. Why not give him Williams number?

How many players in the NHL wear number 91, for us to award it to a player than hasn't wore that number in his entire NHL career, let alone when it's a number one of our best players of all time wore?

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest mindfly

Nope in 97 but i still don't think 91 is untouchable in detroit... don't think fedorov reached that legendary status that yzerman and howe have.

Are they gonna make it impossible to pick 13, 40 etc in 10 years too?

Why can't he wear 91? is fedorov that big of a player in detroit? he's not going up the rafters so 91 should be ok?

Oh God, not this again...

Please, don't ever ever EVER bring that subject up again.

I can't take it... I can't take it... I can't take it... I can't take it... I can't take it... I can't take it... I can't take it... I can't take it... I can't take it... I can't take it... I can't take it... I can't take it... I can't take it... I can't take it... I can't take it... Find a happy place... Find a happy place...

Ahem. Sorry about that. IMO, I don't really care about the number he wears (as long as it's not retired or "honorary" retired - 6 & 16). I'm more concerned about the numbers he puts up than the number he wears on his back and sleeves.

Nope in 97 but i still don't think 91 is untouchable in detroit... don't think fedorov reached that legendary status that yzerman and howe have.

Are they gonna make it impossible to pick 13, 40 etc in 10 years too?

Why not?

We're not running out of numbers like Montreal is.

I just think it's funny that you picked number 91 over any other number Modano could have wore. Why not another number mindfly? Seems too ironic to me. It's basically a blatant attack on Fedorov that you picked that number, especially since it's not common around the NHL

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest mindfly

91 (9 & 1)

88 (draftyear)

27 9+9+9 (18 unavailable)

39 (had this number before)

90 would look alright but there are 4 better numbers

Edited by mindfly

Guest mindfly

70 would also be good since he's born 1970... crosby got 87, kane got 88, gagner got 89.. their birthyear.. but maybe only the kids does this.

Fedorov is one of the 5 best Wings players ever, which is what the whole retired numbers thing is about. Has nothing to do with all time league standings.

Ermm... I'm being picky here, but....

Howe

Yzerman

Lindsay

Lidstrom

Sawchuk

Delvecchio

Kelly

Abel

Then Fedo-traitor.

Feds held out half the year one time and then a few years later, rejected a $50 million/five year deal to sign with the Ducks. Don't know any retired number-type players who would do that.

That said, 91 should probably not be worn for a long time. When he was on, he was the best two-way player in the game.

Guest mindfly

DALLAS - Since he couldn't stay in Dallas and wasn't ready for retirement, Mike Modano made the logical choice: He's going home.

The native of suburban Detroit has agreed to a one-year deal with the Red Wings. He confirmed his decision in a text message to The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The 40-year-old forward played 20 seasons for the Minnesota-Dallas franchise and is the leading scorer among U.S.-born players in NHL history. The Stars made the tough decision not to re-sign him in late June, and he's spent the last five weeks trying to figure out his next move.

The answer came while playing golf in Scotland with former Dallas teammate Marty Turco, the goaltender who signed with Chicago on Monday.

"It was a lot of back and forth internally, but I ultimately decided I wasn't ready to hang up the skates so I'm going to Detroit," Modano told ScoreBoard Monthly, the Dallas sports magazine that first reported the move.

Modano said he spoke with Minnesota and San Jose, but was swayed by discussions with Brett Hull and other former and current Red Wings.

"They all told me what a great organization and city it is to play in," he said. "And mix in the incredible talent they have playing there and it kind of made my decision for me."

The calibre of the team helped, too. Having won a Stanley Cup in Dallas and been to two other Stanley Cup finals, he "definitely wanted the chance to make a serious run at it."

As for his role, Modano said: "Just in casual conversation so far, maybe third line and some power play. They have so many talented players and I'm willing to play wherever they need me to."

Modano grew up in Livonia, Mich. He said his parents are excited to get to see him play more often.

The fans he's leaving behind will get a chance to see him in red real soon. Dallas' home opener is Oct. 14 against the Red Wings.

"I'm sure I'll have plenty of different emotions going through me as we get closer to the day," he said.

His jersey number will also be changing.

Modano always has worn No. 9, but it's retired by Detroit in honour of Gordie Howe.

"I haven't decided yet," he said. "I've got a few ideas in mind though."

Edited by mindfly

Guest mindfly

Sorry Abdelkader, back to Grand Rapids you go...

Erhm...

- - -

- - -

- - -

Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves

Draper

Voila!

Edited by mindfly

Guest mindfly

Something like that, i really like Miller but since they can't/won't get rid of draper it's the only way

Guest mindfly

Worst case scenario they get waived (and picked up for free) because there is no market for those players... even though they got dirt cheap contract.