Photo
- - - - -

What Current NHL Players are Locks for the Hall of Fame?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,827 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

As the subheading states, we're only talking about current status if everyone retired today. Hence, guys like Ovechkin or Crosby aren't mentioned. I know a guy like Thornton will easily make it if he plays another 5 years, but I wanted this topic to be fun and a little challenging, instead of making obvious calls. So here goes:

Guys who would get in now

Lidstrom
Brodeur
Pronger
Selanne
Modano
Recchi
Osgood?
Iginla?

Guys I don't think would get in now

Thornton
Kariya
Kovalev
Alfredsson
Tkachuk
Foote
Weight

These guys are near the 1,000 point mark, and Tkachuk is above it, but I don't see them as current Hall of Famers. I thought about putting Iginla on this list, but I think him carrying a team and being a great goal scorer for many years up until his recent struggles would get him in.

Ozzie we've had many debates about, but I think he'll eventually, somewhere down the line get voted in due to his record and several Stanley Cups. There aren't many multiple Cup winning goalies who aren't in the Hall of Fame. His lack of individual nominations for awards could hurt him, however, in the voters minds.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 06 August 2010 - 07:38 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#2 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

Was going to list Zubov and Jagr but forgot both are in the KHL

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 06 August 2010 - 07:54 PM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#3 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

Brett Lebda

#4 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,827 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

Was going to list Zubov and Jagr but forgot both are in the KHL

Yeah, I was only intending NHL players, or else there's a few other guys I'd mention.

#5 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

Lidstrom
Brodeur
Pronger
Selanne
Modano
Recchi
Osgood?
Iginla? No way if Thornton wouldn't get in, than Iginla is a no go, Thornton is 2 years younger, played similar number of games, he has more points, and neither have done anything in the post season.

Thornton
Kariya
Kovalev
Alfredsson
Tkachuk
Foote
Weight
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#6 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,666 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

IMHO Recchi is iffy.

Osgood is on the fence; he needs to take the starting role away from Howard, and pretty much lead the Red Wings to the Cup Finals in order to get serious considerations if this were his last year in the league...Go out with a bang so to speak.

EDIT - I stand corrected...Recchi's numbers are def HOF worthy, and he has 1 Cup.

EDIT - EDIT - Recchi has 2 Cups... :blush:

Edited by F.Michael, 06 August 2010 - 09:02 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,827 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

Lidstrom
Brodeur
Pronger
Selanne
Modano
Recchi
Osgood?
Iginla? No way if Thornton wouldn't get in, than Iginla is a no go, Thornton is 2 years younger, played similar number of games, he has more points, and neither have done anything in the post season.

Thornton
Kariya
Kovalev
Alfredsson
Tkachuk
Foote
Weight

Yeah, I thought about that, which is why I gave Iginla the question mark. I just think a goal scorer will get more leniency and Iginla doesn't have any kind of choker label attached to him. His teams haven't won in the playoffs because they haven't been good, and not because they choked.

Iginla is a close one for me.

#8 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, I thought about that, which is why I gave Iginla the question mark. I just think a goal scorer will get more leniency and Iginla doesn't have any kind of choker label attached to him. His teams haven't won in the playoffs because they haven't been good, and not because they choked.

Iginla is a close one for me.

Granted they never were stacked, and hes not as wildly known as a play off choker, but go to any Canadian hockey board during the run up to/early rounds if Calgary makes it and you'll see north of the border hes pretty stigmatized for his lack of bringing a cup to Calgary. Its actually pretty funny that last year the Flamer fans were about riot and strip him of his C by popular consent.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#9 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,827 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

IMHO Recchi is iffy.

Osgood is on the fence; he needs to take the starting role away from Howard, and pretty much lead the Red Wings to the Cup Finals in order to get serious considerations if this were his last year in the league...Go out with a bang so to speak.

3 Cups as starter would look better than 2, but I don't think that's a prerequisite to make it in.

Recchi has too many points not to eventually get in. Almost 1500 if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 06 August 2010 - 09:06 PM.

#10 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:06 PM

Oh, and my additions are:

Jason Arnott and Martin St Louis are on the fence.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#11 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,827 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

Oh, and my additions are:

Jason Arnott and Martin St Louis are on the fence.

:blink:

Arnott?

He's had a good career, but I don't think he's even close to being on the fence. Why do you think he may be on the fence if he retired today?

St. Louis is a late bloomer, but he hasn't even hit 700 points yet, and I don't think he'd get the special "Cam Neely Exemption"

#12 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,921 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

I think you've got them covered as far as retiring right now. Guerin maybe, but that will depend on his next few seasons- and you did specify that we are discussing the here-and-now. That's the only other one who popped into my head.

#13 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

:blink:

Arnott?

He's had a good career, but I don't think he's even close to being on the fence. Why do you think he may be on the fence if he retired today?

St. Louis is a late bloomer, but he hasn't even hit 700 points yet, and I don't think he'd get the special "Cam Neely Exemption"

St Louis would get the nod for him helping lead Tampa to a cup

And I think people will throw Arnott some votes for his going to Nashville for all those years and helping them stay competitive (I hate to say this but im thinking like Bettman/NHLPA when it comes to expansion teams).

How about Milan Hejduk?
Im Wasser verbrannt

#14 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

How about Milan Hejduk?

1 PPG season, a 50 goal year and a 41 goal year? Nope.
*this space for rent*

#15 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

No way in hell Joe Thornton gets into the Hall of Game. Maybe Iginla if he can win a Cup before he's done, but that seems a stretch. Recchi is a no-brainer. This season he will become the 13th player in league history to score 1,500 points, and as mentioned he's got multiple Stanley Cup rings. Milan Hejduk won't make it. I don't think Tkachuk will make it. Martin St. Louis is interesting to me..could go either way. I think Ozzy eventually gets in. Arnott was a decent power forward on his best days, but never racked up insane amounts of points. Same can be said for Guerin. Alfredsson doesn't make it, in my opinion, due to the fact that he is lacking a Stanley Cup ring.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#16 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:19 AM

No way in hell Joe Thornton gets into the Hall of Game. Maybe Iginla if he can win a Cup before he's done, but that seems a stretch. Recchi is a no-brainer. This season he will become the 13th player in league history to score 1,500 points, and as mentioned he's got multiple Stanley Cup rings. Milan Hejduk won't make it. I don't think Tkachuk will make it. Martin St. Louis is interesting to me..could go either way. I think Ozzy eventually gets in. Arnott was a decent power forward on his best days, but never racked up insane amounts of points. Same can be said for Guerin. Alfredsson doesn't make it, in my opinion, due to the fact that he is lacking a Stanley Cup ring.

What if Iginla signs here when his contact is up in Calgary and he still hasn't won a cup. That would be such an awesome pickup.

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#17 pockets

pockets

Pockets Smash

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:01 AM

id say pretty good list GMR. Iggy no. Um Oz has the credentials but it will be the voters perception of him that will keep him out, that's why Oz needs to get another cup as a starter and add a bit to his career numbers. That would make it hard for even the most biased of voter to say no.

#18 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:54 AM

1. Lidstrom
2. Brodeur
3. Recchi
4. Modano
5. Selanne
6. Pronger

Basically the same list as the OP. Not many more I can think of that are absolute locks without mentioning the obvious Crosby, Ovechkin, ect.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#19 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,827 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

id say pretty good list GMR. Iggy no. Um Oz has the credentials but it will be the voters perception of him that will keep him out, that's why Oz needs to get another cup as a starter and add a bit to his career numbers. That would make it hard for even the most biased of voter to say no.

Yeah, that game 7 loss to the Pens may end up costing Ozzie a spot in the Hall of Fame.

No way they could keep him out with 3 Cup wins as starter.

#20 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

What about Khabibulin?