• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CMICHdave

Is Holmstrom a Hall of Famer?

Rate this topic

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted too close to call. Why? Because life has taught me to never say never.

Based on all rational thought? No. He won't be in. But the guy's still playing, and I didn't want to kill his dream...

Of course, no....

However, it would be nice for HOF to have a special section, for example, (one of the) best at e.g. stickhandling, defensive play, net presense, power forward position, play-off performance, etc. This would allow for bigger picture of hockey. I can think of Cam Neely (power forward), Datsyk (stick work), Gainey (defensive play, although he is in already for some reason), Claude Lemeaux (play-off), and Holmstrom/Smyth (net presence).

Edited by RusDRW

Even though theres zero chance he will ever see the hall that doesn't negate all the great accomplishments he has had over his career, a guy who was a tenth rounder has 4 cups could easily have 500 points in the NHL and has been masterful at what he does... and then there's always swinglish... but hes done nothing to put him in that category of legendary talent... though im sure he will have his picture in there a lot (as the on stage sitting behind Lidstrom, and then Zetterberg).

This is not as crazy as the idea of Probert's / Chelios's jerseys being retired.

Nah, just as crazy. I'd say they are equal in terms of craziness, but if I had a gun to my head and had to choose, I'd say Homer for the HOF is crazier.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

This is not as crazy as the idea of Probert's / Chelios's jerseys being retired.

This is far crazier than the suggestion of Chelios having his number retired, as he most probably will only for Chicago.

I voted too close to call. Why? Because life has taught me to never say never.

Based on all rational thought? No. He won't be in. But the guy's still playing, and I didn't want to kill his dream...

Pretty much the same, here. With some of the bizarre moves various HsOF have made, Homer would be surprising, but not as bad as some.

The question was will he get in. I voted no because there is zero percent chance that he will.

But he totally deserves to be in the hall. The people calling him a "role" player are way underselling what he accomplished. He altered game plans for years of every team we faced. He affected who they had on the ice and how they played us. That totally rises to the level of HOF.

But again the question was "will" he and there is no doubt to that the answer is no.

Examples?

Larry Csonka, NFL Hall. Over 1000 yards only 3 times in 11 years, not even top-30 all-time in rushing.

Roger Wherli, NFL Hall. Only started 66 career games, of about 200 played.

Paul Hornung, NFL Hall. Only 3711 total yards in 9 years, in a rush-heavy league.

Joe Namath, NFL Hall. 173 TDs, 220 INTs. 177th all-time in passer rating. Made it in on the Super Bowl III guarantee.

Ray Schalk, MLB Hall. 11 HR, 594 RBI in 18 years, lifetime BA of .253.

Rick Ferrell, MLB Hall. 19 seasons, averaged 2 HR, 63 RBI.

There's a half-dozen. Running off to clinic, or I'd dig through the NHL Hall.

If those guys can get in, Homer has a shot.

Homer's not gonna be a HOFer. He's a good player, but seriously.

Maybe we can put together a Hall of Really Good and put together going to be just shy of the HHOF.

I don't know if Homer would make those either.

If there was a Hall of Goofiness, then I think he would have a shot.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Larry Csonka, NFL Hall. Over 1000 yards only 3 times in 11 years, not even top-30 all-time in rushing.

Roger Wherli, NFL Hall. Only started 66 career games, of about 200 played.

Paul Hornung, NFL Hall. Only 3711 total yards in 9 years, in a rush-heavy league.

Joe Namath, NFL Hall. 173 TDs, 220 INTs. 177th all-time in passer rating. Made it in on the Super Bowl III guarantee.

Ray Schalk, MLB Hall. 11 HR, 594 RBI in 18 years, lifetime BA of .253.

Rick Ferrell, MLB Hall. 19 seasons, averaged 2 HR, 63 RBI.

There's a half-dozen. Running off to clinic, or I'd dig through the NHL Hall.

If those guys can get in, Homer has a shot.

I'm so glad you decided to look up examples of weak picks in other sports and HoF's first, before you know... the one we're talking about.

I'm so glad you decided to look up examples of weak picks in other sports and HoF's first, before you know... the one we're talking about.

My quote was "various HsOF", if you look. Since I am more familiar with Canton and Cooperstown, those came to mind.