• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

Just been reading some stuff boaring offseason and its come to me that is having zetterbeg locked up tell 40 at such a high salary a god thing? i could be going crazy I dunno but it seems like this hurts the futcher. I mean having a 40 year old with a cap hit of around six million. Dont you guys think our team will be pretty bad with guys like Franzen and Zetterberg at a high cap hit around age 40.
Posted Image

#2 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:01 PM

Is this a troll?

#3 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

Who knows what the cba/salary cap will be like in 10 years?

They might also retire at 37/38 when they are past their prime etc and their contracts will go off the cap

Edited by mindfly, 12 August 2010 - 05:03 PM.

#4 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

One thing to keep in mind is the progression of the salary cap. $6m of cap space now is worth a lot more than $6m of cap space later. Just as an example, the salary cap in 2005 was $39m. Now, 5 years later, it's $59m. If that rate of progression continues, the salary cap will be $100m 10 years from now. Even if it only continues to progress at half rate, it'll be 79-80m dollars. A 6m cap hit for a 39 year old in that range is equivalent to, say, the 3m we're playing Flip now. If you think Zetterberg can play at Flip's current level in the last, say, 2 years of his contract, at roughly the same (or slightly greater) the equivalent salary, do you think it's worth it for us getting a $1-1.5m discount for the other 8 years of his contract? I certainly think so.

Franzen's contract progresses even better, if the cap were, say, 85m 10 years from now, he'd only be getting paid about equal to the money Draper is now. Considering that Franzen is a better player than Draper ever was, and that Franzen could probably put up 3rd line play at 39, do you think paying Draper-equivalent money at that stage in his career is worth it for the huge discount we're getting for a 35g/clutch playoff guy?

Edited by Datsyerberger, 12 August 2010 - 05:06 PM.

If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#5 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

Who knows what the cba/salary cap will be like in 10 years?

They might also retire at 37/38 when they are past their prime etc and their contracts will go off the cap

true but wont every player want more money if the cap hit is higher
Posted Image

#6 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

Is this a troll?

I was wondering the same thing. This misspelling seems very suspicious to me.

futcher

As far as the question goes, it's hard to tell what kind of impact these long term contracts are going to have. I don't fully understand the economics of it, but I will admit that the thought of a 40 yr old Zetterberg playing for his current cap hit is a little horrifying.

Edited by Broken 16, 12 August 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#7 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

Is this a troll?

no
Posted Image

#8 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

true but wont every player want more money if the cap hit is higher

They will, but the players who are locked up can't change a contract mid-contract.

#9 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

Yes, it was a good DECISION.

Posted Image

#10 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

People lay off. His/her first language is NOT english. He/she is also NOT a troll. Sheeeesh.

#11 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

yes.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#12 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

May not be a troll but goodness what kind of a question is this to ask tho? Obviously it was a great decision to keep Hank this long keeping it cap friendly and also one of the most dynamic two way players in the world and future Captain. I'll take it.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#13 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

People lay off. His/her first language is NOT english. He/she is also NOT a troll. Sheeeesh.

my first language is french I have been speaking english for 15 years the only reason the spelling is bad is because iam using an Iphone to type all of this. I asked this question because people keep telling me that this was the worst signing the redwings have done just wanted to know what you guys think of this.

Edited by mjtm77, 12 August 2010 - 05:28 PM.

Posted Image

#14 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

I spoke french tell i was three. Iam 22 and have been speaking fluent english for 15 years
Posted Image

#15 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

my first language is french I have been speaking english for 15 years the only reason the spelling is bad is because iam using an Iphone to type all of this. I asked this question because people keep telling me that this was the worst signing the redwings have done just wanted to know what you guys think of this.

And what makes you want to listen to these people on this particular topic? It's a bad signing...if you're a fan of another team.
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#16 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

Who tells you these things? ...because they are wrong.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#17 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

Was it a good decition to sign zetterberg tell age 40

yis ser
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#18 Tommy_Like_Wingy

Tommy_Like_Wingy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

lol'd at futcher

#19 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

And what makes you want to listen to these people on this particular topic? It's a bad signing...if you're a fan of another team.

iam a huge redwings fan
Posted Image

#20 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

Both are great deals Z will be the next C and Franzen is a beast who could score 40 goals this year top end on low end 30. With years of the same numbers.
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image