• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

They did this for a few games last year, and it was extremely annoying, obnoxious and distracting. I thought they had chosen against it. Well, unfortunately it looks like they are back at it again. Does anyone know if this is something they plan to do with all the games now?

Personally, I can't f'in stand them. As if having big ads on the ice, on the boards, as well as pop up ads on the tv screen wasn't enough...

Edited by sleepwalker, 09 October 2010 - 11:32 AM.

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,639 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

I agree with everything that you said.

I wish they'd go back to having no ads anywhere on the ice. Like watching vintage hockey games. But that will never happen in today's corporate world, where every new arena is named after a company.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

they don't bother me at all

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

they don't bother me at all

Just wait...they get worse. They used some of the more subtle ones last night. Probably trying to ease people into accepting them.

Wait until they put up the giant flourescent green and yellow spartan ads, like they did last year. It is insanely distracting.

#5 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

yeah, and then what's next? they'll superimpose them on the audiences faces! if you leave the evil advertisers unchecked, who knows what will become of the great game of hockey? :ranting:

#6 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

Sports aren't about the actual competitions anymore, they're all about selling s***. That's why when fans complain about stuff they get the "it's a business" excuse, like it was ever meant to be in the first place.

I feel better now.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#7 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

The only one I really notice and distracts me is the wallside windows big block of yellow.

I guess I'm ok with them, prefer the glass get ads rather than the ice or jerseys.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#8 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

i would love to know how much board ads and such actually go for. i assume its a pretty small part of a teams revenue. its too bad that for such a small increase, we have to see our game cheapened and trivialized for the sake of consumerism.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#9 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

Sports aren't about the actual competitions anymore, they're all about selling s***. That's why when fans complain about stuff they get the "it's a business" excuse, like it was ever meant to be in the first place.

I feel better now.

esteef

Professional sports were always about selling a product.

Posted Image

#10 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

i would love to know how much board ads and such actually go for. i assume its a pretty small part of a teams revenue. its too bad that for such a small increase, we have to see our game cheapened and trivialized for the sake of consumerism.

I thought the ad revenue from the ones on the glass were just for FSN and not the team. after all you can only see them on tv.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#11 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

Professional sports were always about selling a product.

Did I say professional sports?

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#12 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

every time i go to a high school soccer game, i get ads SHOVED IN MY FACE

IM SICK OF IT

#13 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:15 PM

Meh. They don't bother me. Even jersey ads wouldn't bother me, except in that I'd have to stop making fun of the Euro leagues for having them.

#14 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

Did I say professional sports?

esteef

Considering these ads are about professional sports I don't see why you would talk about sports in general, since I think the idea that sports are all about selling s*** is absolutely ridiculous.

Posted Image

#15 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

I personally don't care. The more money the sport gets, the bigger it can get. As long as the ads are behind the glass, and not on the player's jerseys I'm more than fine with it. Anything to help the sport expand and grow.

#16 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

I'll take superimposed adds on the glass over actual adds on the jersey or ice any day of the week. There has to be a happy medium somewhere.

Meh. They don't bother me. Even jersey ads wouldn't bother me, except in that I'd have to stop making fun of the Euro leagues for having them.

I hope this won't happen because of jersey sales. I wouldn't buy a jersey if it had companies on it.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#17 Reilly

Reilly

Winning debates all across LGW.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

A lot of the people on here are watching illegal streams of Wings' games on the internet. I can't blame teams for doing this.

#18 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:50 PM

I can't blame teams for doing this.

The teams aren't doing it, Fox sports and the other stations are doing it. Neither the teams nor the NHL get any of that money. It goes to the station.

#19 VanDer

VanDer

Irish Wing!

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

This really doesn't bother me. Yes i would prefer if it and any other ad wasn't there but I'm not gonna loss my cool if they're are there.

#20 Motor City Hockeyfan

Motor City Hockeyfan

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

True, there is nothing wrong with the sport and team making money, but the ads being superimposed on the glass are done by FSN Detroit, the team makes money off of the ads on the dasher boards, so FSN wanted a piece of the pie. As a guy who used to work in broadcasting, tv and radio companies will do whatever they can to make money. I would say sadly, the ads are probably here to stay. I also worked for a minor league hockey team and it was around $100-$200 a month for an ad on the boards, so I would imagine the team makes quite a bit on dasher board ads considering the ad will be seen on tv for 2 1/2 hours on a game night.