• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aussie_Wing

The Todd Appreciation Station

Rate this topic

Todd Bertuzzi. 2 goals, 7 assists in 7 games.

Berts been excellent, Berts been way better than we ever could have hoped when we got him back the second time (in August 2009), Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. Hes playing way better than I ever anticipated without the puck, way more committed that way. Hes become a real important part of our team.

Hes a great guy and a great teammate and a good person, and Im thrilled to have him here.

Read more

I've always liked the guy, and he's seriously becoming one of my favourite Wings. Like Mike said, his work defensively, his willingness to back check has been superb so far this season, the best I've ever seen in that regard. Loving the second line. :thumbup:

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Sign me up here too... Bert has been great and noticeably seems to have improved a lot on his play without the puck hustling to get position and help out. The whole second line has been amazing, let hope they keep it going and the Fil starts to find the back of the net some more too.

Great job Bert!

I'm a sap I guess, but Bertuzzi must feel really great here in Detroit. He's spent the last few years being treated like trash or crapped on by fans, playing for mediocre teams and frustrated that his game seemed to be gone. Now, he's found a solid place on a great team where he's relied on and appreciated by fans and his coach, that's gotta feel good.

^^^ yep, who wouldn't want to be a Red Wing? :)

I hope Modano has the same experience here. He wasn't crapped on in Dallas (the fans adore him to this day, rightfully so), but he had to feel a bit cast aside that the franchise wasn't willing to let him finish his career as a Star. My hope is that he prospers as a Red Wing, and we're the richer for his signing with us.

Bert has earned his place in Detroit and I couldn't be happier for him.

Some really great quotes:

"I can tell you, it's pretty amazing to watch those guys, what they can still do with the way they skate and move the puck".

"And playing with Franzen ... he's the guy who makes our line. He's big, he plays with an edge, he's got a great shot and he gets to the net like few others in this league. He reminds me a little of a guy I used to know but that was a long time ago."

"Actually, Johan and I started to develop a little chemistry last year in the playoffs playing with [Henrik] Zetterberg and it's coming a little this year, too. But with me having been out and him being out most of last year, we haven't had that much time together. With Val, he just seems to skate better every year I see him."

"I'm telling you, every team in this conference just seems to be getting better. Every game is like a grudge match out there and they all play the same, tight-checking game with no room. You sometimes fly four hours to get to a game like that. It's tough but we're having a lot of fun."

"I have to credit coach [Mike] Babcock for really helping turn me around here," he says of the Olympic gold-medal coach. "He's been on me and made me responsible defensively. He's showed a lot of confidence in me, putting me out in the last minute of games.

"It's an organization that makes you feel young because every time you come to the rink you know you've got a good chance to win, and that makes a huge difference. I mean there's so many good players, it's like a football camp going into our power-play meetings. It's been a perfect fit for me."

Todd Bertuzzi. 2 goals, 7 assists in 7 games.

Read more

I've always liked the guy, and he's seriously becoming one of my favourite Wings. Like Mike said, his work defensively, his willingness to back check has been superb so far this season, the best I've ever seen in that regard. Loving the second line. :thumbup:

Let him go 2 games without a point, and we'll see a "Bertuzzi needs to go!!" thread pop up. :-p

Ahh, the fickle fickle life of fans.

I never didn't like him. He has ALWAYS, ALWAYS brought something to any team he has played for. He's streaky. He is not often the best defensively, but that dude has always been known for Game winning goals, and strong playoff performances.

He's the kind of player you can't always count on, but when you need him the most, he shows up.

The fact that he's leading our team in points, shows that our second line is genius. And as of last night, I'd qualify our first line as genius too.

Good thing we have Hudler, Modano, and Cleary to talk s*** about, until, ya know, Bert starts slumping again.

Makes me miss the old days, back in 97 when Wings fans weren't smart enough to figure out anything more than the announcers told us. Ah the glory days of ignorance and bliss :)

Bert is just doing what we brought him in years ago to do. Those of you who don't remember a younger Bert, before he played for the Wings, prior to his injuries he was an offensive force, and a physical force. A relatively notable one. He's been up and down for years, torn between having a natural skill for the game, and a body that has taken too much of a beating.

Glad he's felling well this year :)

Edited by Joseph Franks

Last year, when he and Franzen played together in game 7 against Phoenix and the two just dominated I saw potential. The two have some chemistry that should really propel that second line. I'm happy to see Bert getting some confidence in his game and playing well again.

Hmm I feel like I should dig up some threads of people hating the signing last year and I was one of the few that actually thought he would play well...

But yeah, I love Bertuzzi on this team, he's a different player after his injury and he's not as physical, but he still uses his size very well and can create a lot of space. He's getting his feet back too, I just hope he can stay healthy.

Edited by Carman

Guest Crymson

Hmm I feel like I should dig up some threads of people hating the signing last year and I was one of the few that actually thought he would play well...

But yeah, I love Bertuzzi on this team, he's a different player after his injury and he's not as physical, but he still uses his size very well and can create a lot of space. He's getting his feet back too, I just hope he can stay healthy.

He's got a surprising amount of speed at times.

In any event, as Mike Haynes (the absolute homer PbPer for the Avalanche) said last season, "Say what you will about Bertuzzi [as relates to the Moore incident], but he is a BIG man."