Photo
- - - - -

Are hockey hits harder than football hits?

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#61 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:23 PM

Another thing is football you have people grabbing and wrapping you up which leads to twisted ligaments and such. Football you also see guys getting hit by multiple players and they can also be put into very prone areas like jumping to retrieve balls. Football players seem to be more reckless with all the helmet to helmet, horse collar tackles and face mask. Id personally would rather take a hit from kronwall then have two warren sapp sized linemen jump on top of me.

Edit: spelling

Yeah, football is a really grinding sport. Not only are you getting hit, you're getting twisted, straining against piles of extraordinarily heavy people, etc.

I have no doubt hockey hits are harder. Physical guys skating at high speeds against glass and wood? Yeah, the distance alone leading up to a hit is much greater than in football, I'd say, so the impact would have to be higher in force.

However, the two are really different and I don't think this proves either one is necessarily tougher than the other.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#62 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:30 PM

This is an impossible question to answer... however, the average hockey player on average would get hit considerably more often than the average football player in a given season. That's about all we can say conclusively.

#63 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

:lol:

Sorry champ, I don't remember saying that. Good job putting words in my mouth though.

In today's NHL, the rules and regulations of a player's every move make other leagues look like nothing. Of course the NFL has hitting rules. Are they as strict and overused as the NHL? Nope.

As a fan of both leagues, this is a very arbitrary and subjective statement, especially seeing as how the officiating in the NHL is a joke.

This is an impossible question to answer... however, the average hockey player on average would get hit considerably more often than the average football player in a given season. That's about all we can say conclusively.

Even that is very dependent on football player's posistion or role. NHL may play more games, but there are far more hits in every NFL game, and generally to the same recpient (i.e. backs). These guys get hit at least 10-15 times a game, multiply that by 16 and you have far more than what I would consider average for an NHL player.

Even that is very dependent on football player's posistion or role. NHL may play more games, but there are far more hits in every NFL game, and generally to the same recpient (i.e. backs). These guys get hit at least 10-15 times a game, multiply that by 16 and you have far more than what I would consider average for an NHL player.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#64 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

Ehh I really think you are not giving enough credit to football players.

Football is a much more Anaerobic sport with more physical contact on average throughout a game. Where as singular hits might be harder in the NHL just due to the speed, I'd certainly not argue it is a tougher game. The collisions in football happen much more often, and are not that much different.

Nevermind that Chad Johnson and T.O. answered this question, when they just stretch the field a very rarely run crossing routes. I wouldn't judge a game based on a couple players that exagerrate injuries anyways, I could easily link some of Riberio's perfomances.

Football and Hockey are great physical sports, I don't know if I'd consider either one tougher than the other...

Football players are, for the most part, also guaranteed to be completely broken-bodied after a decade in action. Meanwhile, hockey players often play for two decades.

#65 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:01 PM

American Football is for the weak, real men play Rugby. Much more physical game, no lame pads all over you either.

Besides, american football is not real football, they just stole the name.

Edited by Reds4Life, 26 October 2010 - 04:02 PM.

#66 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

American Football is for the weak, real men play Rugby. Much more physical game, no lame pads all over you either.

Rugby isn't even tough, so that's why they don't need to wear pads.

Football players are superior athletes anyways, and it's a better sport to watch.

Soccer doesn't even count as a physical activity so it doesn't deserve the name.

#67 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

Football players are, for the most part, also guaranteed to be completely broken-bodied after a decade in action. Meanwhile, hockey players often play for two decades.

Well, that of course depends on the position, so I somewhat agree. You can expect a good 8-10 years out of your runningback before he's completely broken down compared to say a lineman like Kevin Mawae.

#68 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

Another thing is your position. Football has kickers and punters who play seemingly forever but on the other hand most running backs are only great for about 8 years before they get to banged up

Well, that of course depends on the position, so I somewhat agree. You can expect a good 8-10 years out of your runningback before he's completely broken down compared to say a lineman like Kevin Mawae.

The average career for a running back in the NFL is 3 years.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#69 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:34 PM

The average career for a running back in the NFL is 3 years.

Technically, the average runningback's career lasts 2.6 years and the average career of an NFL player is 3.3 years. But we all know that this is a lame average statistic since it includes cuts, releases, playing time, injury, whatever else you can think of. If you're a successful starting runningback, barring no major injuries, you should be able to last at least 8 years.

The average career span of an NHL skater and goaltender is a little over 5 years. But just like I said above, this stat includes EVERYTHING. If you're a successful player, whether you're a top line scorer or a pesky grinder, barring a major injury you will see longevity.

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 26 October 2010 - 06:34 PM.

#70 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hockey hits are absolutely harder than football hits.

First off, linemen rarely actually hit anyone. Offensive linemen spend most of their time blocking the opposing team's defense, and the defensive linemen spend most of their time trying to penetrate the offensive line. This is not done through hits, but mostly through what ultimately amounts to a lot of specialized pushing and shoving.

The hardest hit you'll usually see is when a linebacker upends a receiver on a cross route.

I played football and hockey in high school. I was a receiver and defensive back in football, and played both forward and defense in hockey. I can tell you right now that hockey hits are harder; the football players in our area were disproportionately large compared to the hockey players if you compare it to the NHL/NFL, and the hits in hockey were still harder, both at the top and on the average.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#71 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hockey hits are absolutely harder than football hits.

First off, linemen rarely actually hit anyone. Offensive linemen spend most of their time blocking the opposing team's defense, and the defensive linemen spend most of their time trying to penetrate the offensive line. This is not done through hits, but mostly through what ultimately amounts to a lot of specialized pushing and shoving.

The hardest hit you'll usually see is when a linebacker upends a receiver on a cross route.

I played football and hockey in high school. I was a receiver and defensive back in football, and played both forward and defense in hockey. I can tell you right now that hockey hits are harder; the football players in our area were disproportionately large compared to the hockey players if you compare it to the NHL/NFL, and the hits in hockey were still harder, both at the top and on the average.

Eva, I normally agree with a lot of your posts, but your anectdotal evidence about "high school" football/hockey really has no place in this discussion. Pro =/= highschool.
Victory Honda Forever.

#72 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

Go out there then and stand face to face with a 300 lb lineman and tell me you're not nervous.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#73 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:14 PM

This thread is getting loony.

#74 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:50 PM

Hockey vs. football, take 2

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#75 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:53 PM

This thread is getting loony.

Too much time off between games. Damn schedule.

And yes, Are apple red or are oranges, orange???

#76 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:59 PM

without traversing through this thread...

i bet many would grow in respect for hockey hits if they lined a football field with rigid hockey boards. <_<

#77 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:14 AM

Eva, I normally agree with a lot of your posts, but your anectdotal evidence about "high school" football/hockey really has no place in this discussion. Pro =/= highschool.

At the high school level the average player weight for hockey is around 160lb maybe, while football is probably closer to 200lb.

You're saying that when you turn those players into a bunch of 200lb hockey players and 250lb football players, that football will have the harder hits?

The only reason you would be able to make the argument of pro =/= high school is if said school had a very good hockey program and a weak football program, or vice versa. My high school is a large school and typically does well in all sports.

I am not saying football hits aren't hard; having been a football player I know firsthand that this is not true. But hockey has harder hits, even if it's not someone bumping into someone else every tenth of a second.

#78 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:22 AM

Go out there then and stand face to face with a 300 lb lineman and tell me you're not nervous.

What's he gonna do? He's gonna push me. Scary. It's the 250lb linebacker who makes me nervous. The lineman's not gonna be the guy putting his shoulder into your ribs as you're looking the other way trying to catch the pass up the middle.

Linemen are like refrigerators. 1) They're big, heavy, and hard to move. 2) You need them, but you'd be just fine if they didn't exist. 3) It's a good idea to keep them clean.

#79 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:00 AM

At the high school level the average player weight for hockey is around 160lb maybe, while football is probably closer to 200lb.

You're saying that when you turn those players into a bunch of 200lb hockey players and 250lb football players, that football will have the harder hits?

The only reason you would be able to make the argument of pro =/= high school is if said school had a very good hockey program and a weak football program, or vice versa. My high school is a large school and typically does well in all sports.

I am not saying football hits aren't hard; having been a football player I know firsthand that this is not true. But hockey has harder hits, even if it's not someone bumping into someone else every tenth of a second.

This train of thinking is making the basic assumption that the only thing that changes from the high school to pro level is weight of the players. I'm going to take a wild guess and say theres a great deal of speed and more importantly technique in the pros. Just a hunch though.
Victory Honda Forever.

#80 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:23 AM

This train of thinking is making the basic assumption that the only thing that changes from the high school to pro level is weight of the players. I'm going to take a wild guess and say theres a great deal of speed and more importantly technique in the pros. Just a hunch though.

That line of thinking would assume that hockey players' speed doesn't improve as well. I already examined the scientific effects earlier in the thread. However...

In football, the average speed from the high school level to pro level doesn't really go anywhere. It even falls for some positions/players, as many football players were track athletes in high school as well, and are more speed specialized. As they bulk up and train for different positions in the college/pro level, they tend to trade a little speed for power and upper body strength. The only ones that tend to keep or improve speed are the ones that play speed specialized positions, which tend not to be the ones doing the hitting. What upper end defensive football players at the pro level do have is a lot more explosiveness. They're not going to catch a back that goes taking off, but they can go from a dead standstill to a full run in an instant, great for lateral movement.

Hockey players, on the other hand, tend to significantly improve speed at all positions through the pro level at a greater rate. Improved speed/skating tends to be one of the hardest pushed things for improvement at all levels of play (however, like in football, some players edge towards explosiveness more than speed).

Edited by Datsyerberger, 27 October 2010 - 07:25 AM.

If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.