Photo
- - - - -

Are hockey hits harder than football hits?

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,614 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

http://video.nhl.com...tid=35&id=79208

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 pockets

pockets

Pockets Smash

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

Hockey hits and football hits are a bit different.

Hockey its mainly shoulder to shoulder or something close

Football you have 250 + lbs jumping on you while running full speed.

#3 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

This.

#4 Tommy_Like_Wingy

Tommy_Like_Wingy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

I remember reading a study done at some ivy league school where they proved that the force of hits delivered by 13 year old hockey players matched that of the force delivered by college football players.

I know that's really vague since I read it 3 or 4 years ago and don't remember a lot of the details but still pretty believable. I remember back in high school I got tagged with a couple hits that felt like I ran into a brick wall.

#5 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,614 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

I remember reading a study done at some ivy league school where they proved that the force of hits delivered by 13 year old hockey players matched that of the force delivered by college football players.

I know that's really vague since I read it 3 or 4 years ago and don't remember a lot of the details but still pretty believable. I remember back in high school I got tagged with a couple hits that felt like I ran into a brick wall.

Never would have guessed that.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#6 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

But in the NHL you have 215+ lbs skating towards you at 30+ mph

Football players are ******* anyways. Oh no, you sprained your ankle. Lay on the field for 20 minutes only to get up on your own and walk away. I highly doubt any football player would sacrifice their body to block a 100+ mph slap shot either.

Edited by dallas27, 24 October 2010 - 07:31 PM.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#7 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:36 PM

Football players are ******* anyways. Oh no, you sprained your ankle. Lay on the field for 20 minutes only to get up on your own and walk away. I highly doubt any football player would sacrifice their body to block a 100+ mph slap shot either.

Ehh I really think you are not giving enough credit to football players.

Football is a much more Anaerobic sport with more physical contact on average throughout a game. Where as singular hits might be harder in the NHL just due to the speed, I'd certainly not argue it is a tougher game. The collisions in football happen much more often, and are not that much different.

Nevermind that Chad Johnson and T.O. answered this question, when they just stretch the field a very rarely run crossing routes. I wouldn't judge a game based on a couple players that exagerrate injuries anyways, I could easily link some of Riberio's perfomances.

Football and Hockey are great physical sports, I don't know if I'd consider either one tougher than the other...

Edited by Carman, 24 October 2010 - 07:41 PM.

#8 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:41 PM

Batman & Robin have a show? Who knew?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#9 pockets

pockets

Pockets Smash

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

Another thing is football you have people grabbing and wrapping you up which leads to twisted ligaments and such. Football you also see guys getting hit by multiple players and they can also be put into very prone areas like jumping to retrieve balls. Football players seem to be more reckless with all the helmet to helmet, horse collar tackles and face mask. Id personally would rather take a hit from kronwall then have two warren sapp sized linemen jump on top of me.

Edit: spelling

Edited by pockets, 24 October 2010 - 08:22 PM.

#10 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,614 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

#11 pockets

pockets

Pockets Smash

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

Another thing is your position. Football has kickers and punters who play seemingly forever but on the other hand most running backs are only great for about 8 years before they get to banged up

#12 hockeygods

hockeygods

TonySmith

• 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

listen you can take whatever T.O and that cinco fruit loop say and believe the exact opposite. Those two are donkeys

#13 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:59 PM

I wasn't aware that Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco (what a douchebag name) had enough working knowledge of hockey fundamentals to wax philosophic about them. Interesting.

Up next, Pavel Datsyuk on why the tuck rule singlehandedly gave the Patriots a championship.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#14 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,614 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:03 PM

listen you can take whatever T.O and that cinco fruit loop say and believe the exact opposite. Those two are donkeys

That's a new one. I like it.

#15 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

I wasn't aware that Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco (what a douchebag name) had enough working knowledge of hockey fundamentals to wax philosophic about them. Interesting.

Up next, Pavel Datsyuk on why the tuck rule singlehandedly gave the Patriots a championship.

i laughed.

Its really hard to say. I dont want to get blasted while catching a football while going on a slant route, and i'd also hate to be nailed on an open ice check w/ my head down.

Both would make me cry for my mommy.

#16 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

Football is much more violent than hockey. The day a hockey player can fold his arms back, launch himself from his feet and lead with his helmet to the head area then it's like football. Hockey players are a tough breed but the beating they take doesn't compare to a football player.

You have to remember the NFL went through a s*** storm last week so most players are trying to put a better spin on the hitting.

Edited by softshoes, 24 October 2010 - 09:39 PM.

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#17 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

Hockey hits hurt more and hockey players are tougher, but i dk about the force of a 400lb turkey gobbler with muscle falling on you being less than a hockey hit. That being said, guys like stevens and sutton probably win the argument for hockey, they have the size of football players but are on ice.

Edited by jollymania, 24 October 2010 - 10:07 PM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#18 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,614 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:28 PM

Don't forget Chara.

#19 LarryMurphySpecial

LarryMurphySpecial

Prospect

• 39 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

Some of these posts are hilarious. Anyone with a strong stance to either side, whether it be for hockey or football, who hasn't played both at a high level have no room to spout anectdotal evidence. Your personal experiance does not reflect how hard pros far better than you hit. In my mind, it'd most probably be football on average (yes there are a lot of weak wrap up tackles, but there are a lot of weaker hits in hockey games every game too), but this really isn't something you can generalize. Should be taken on a case by case basis obviously.

I highly doubt that you would either.

I never thought that people who had never played hockey had enough working knowledge of hockey fundamentals to wax philosophic about them. This board has continuously proved me right.

#20 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:44 PM

Well then maybe you shouldn't post here anymore if the people who do post here are beneath you in intelligence about the game.

I wouldn't want you to feel like you're slumming it.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor