• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaliWingsNut

Five years, $26 million for Big Buff in Atlanta

Rate this topic

There were 5 guys who scored 55 or more points last season :Pronger, Boyle, Doughty, Keith, Green.

There are 6 guys this season at the same pace: Yandle, Letang, Lidstrom, Byfuglien, Visnovsky, Enstrom.

Guys who score a lot of points from the back end are a rare commodity. If he continues at this pace, then this price will be a steal down the road, and you'd have to imagine he'll only get better since he is still so young.

I sense flawed logic.

How so? My premise is that defensemen who score well get paid well. Byfuglien scores well, therefore he is getting paid well since he is on pace to score over 60+ points this season. Young players tend to improve as they approach their primes and this deal takes him to the stride of his prime. Players also tend to improve when they switch positions as they become more accustomed to it, this deal will see him ensured 6 seasons on defense. So unless I am missing something?

There were 5 guys who scored 55 or more points last season :Pronger, Boyle, Doughty, Keith, Green.

There are 6 guys this season at the same pace: Yandle, Letang, Lidstrom, Byfuglien, Visnovsky, Enstrom.

Guys who score a lot of points from the back end are a rare commodity. If he continues at this pace, then this price will be a steal down the road, and you'd have to imagine he'll only get better since he is still so young.

I agree. Whenever most players that aren't out-and-out super stars sign these big deals it seems like the first, best reaction is "oh my god overpayment!" but it's in line with what similar guys get paid. And even some guys that aren't that similar, like Paul Martin. If you're a top pairing type Dman, you get paid.

I agree. Whenever most players that aren't out-and-out super stars sign these big deals it seems like the first, best reaction is "oh my god overpayment!" but it's in line with what similar guys get paid. And even some guys that aren't that similar, like Paul Martin. If you're a top pairing type Dman, you get paid.

I knew I forgot to add something!

There are 21 NHL Defensmen that make 5mil or more. You have guys like Campbell, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Redden, Timonen who are all making over 6mil a season and aren't close to being worth that kind of money. Then you have guys like Hamrlik, Gonchar, Souray, Rozsival, martin etc that are all making 5mil or more and are truly over paid.

So when it comes down to it, if Byfuglien keeps up his pace, or exceeds it, he's not anywhere close to being over paid.

Atlanta gets to the Salary Floor, Byfuglien gets paid, and the fan of the Thrasers get his franchise DMan all for around 5mil a season.

There are 21 NHL Defensmen that make 5mil or more. You have guys like Campbell, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Redden, Timonen who are all making over 6mil a season and aren't close to being worth that kind of money.

*cough* Rafalski! Carry on.

Most likely will cause a ruckus with that but thats my opinion anyway.

*cough* Rafalski! Carry on.

Most likely will cause a ruckus with that but thats my opinion anyway.

Except at the time when Rafalski signed that contract it was considered by EVERYONE to be a massive hometown discount. And he is still a DMan that will get you 50 points and a +20, which is worth every penny, no matter how many people blindly complain about him. You can't be that terrible at defense with such large +/- totals compared to everyone else on the team, not to mention if you wouldn't want a 50 point +20 player on your team, you're crazy. Rafalski is worth his paycheck, he's just not a bargain like he use to.

Except at the time when Rafalski signed that contract it was considered by EVERYONE to be a massive hometown discount. And he is still a DMan that will get you 50 points and a +20, which is worth every penny, no matter how many people blindly complain about him. You can't be that terrible at defense with such large +/- totals compared to everyone else on the team, not to mention if you wouldn't want a 50 point +20 player on your team, you're crazy. Rafalski is worth his paycheck, he's just not a bargain like he use to.

And that is the thing about contracts is you have to pretty much think about when they were signed. At the time yes, more than likely I was on board with the amount. But in the years since, we have seen a very large decline in his "defensive" ability. I realize this always comes with age and all that but this is a player that if he was playing like he did for team USA, I'd say 6 million no problem. The guy we do see however, I am not digging having to pay that much for him when there are actual solid defensive defenseman that can be had at 3 a year. Just my uneducated generalization of it and I am actually a Raffy supporter and also feel his power play skills are super valuable. Just think now this is money better spent elsewhere.

Edited by HankthaTank

The definition of overpayment would be in Chicago, on their blueline, wearing #51. Case Closed.

I think Atlanta got a reasonable deal out of this. now should Byfuglien learn how to backcheck WHILE keeping a scoring pace like this, 5 mil and change is a STEAL of a deal.

Seems about right to me. Guys on defense who can score yah 55+ points a season tend to get paid pretty well. Plus it's his first season there as a DMan and he is only 25, he will probably be a 60-80 point defensemen in a year or two. This might be a steal in a couple years, unless they don't retain their assets and sign a couple more players for a serious playoff push.

He's on pace to do it this year, but he's never actually scored 55+ points in a season. He's had three seasons where he put up 31-36 points. Now this season he'll probably hit 55ish.

This contract is basically on a prayer that he continues to develop and not that he's already peaked, at least offensively. Defensively he still has plenty of room to grow.

He's on pace to do it this year, but he's never actually scored 55+ points in a season. He's had three seasons where he put up 31-36 points. Now this season he'll probably hit 55ish.

This contract is basically on a prayer that he continues to develop and not that he's already peaked, at least offensively. Defensively he still has plenty of room to grow.

Umm he's done it 3 times about to be 4 times and about to be 9 times where he's scored over 40 points...

edit: nevermind, thought you were talking about Rafalski for some reason.

Edited by Konnan511

Umm he's done it 3 times about to be 4 times and about to be 9 times where he's scored over 40 points...

edit: nevermind, thought you were talking about Rafalski for some reason.

Oh, ok. For a second I thought I was losing it or something. Cuz I doublechecked Fugly's stats.

As for Raf, I think I'm one of the few people who don't think that contract is gross overpayment, and remember that at the time he signed, it was a good deal.

Guest Crymson

And that is the thing about contracts is you have to pretty much think about when they were signed. At the time yes, more than likely I was on board with the amount. But in the years since, we have seen a very large decline in his "defensive" ability. I realize this always comes with age and all that but this is a player that if he was playing like he did for team USA, I'd say 6 million no problem. The guy we do see however, I am not digging having to pay that much for him when there are actual solid defensive defenseman that can be had at 3 a year. Just my uneducated generalization of it and I am actually a Raffy supporter and also feel his power play skills are super valuable. Just think now this is money better spent elsewhere.

Then either start up the time machine or make peace with the situation.

Too much. A good comparison is Filppula's contract. Summer 2008 he was signed five years at a $3m cap hit, and he was 24. He is just now coming around to live up to that cap hit, and that is between three years of development, cap increases, and league-wide contract inflation. Byfuglien likely won't have the same luxury of the constant cap increase or the average defenseman's contract being higher, and he is also older than Flip was. He's not likely to ever live up to this deal.

Cap is projected to go up another 3mil this season due to record profits...again, so it's more likely contracts will continue to rise. This deal could be a huge steal, or a huge flop if Atlanta makes this their only big move this season/next season.

It would of been better if they awarded him a two year deal for that type of money. Considering that he is still leading the team with only 2 points in a long stretch that says something about his offensive importance to the team. Now he just has to do this year in year out for another 5 years, good luck.

He's a unique player who is alone in his market. I mean, who really compares to a giant defenceman who also scores 40 points his first full year on the blueline, and can also play in front of the net on the power play?

Good for him and his agent. Bad for Zach Bogosian and trying to fit him under the cap.

His agent is a genius.

As a public relations move, they could have Bye-FOOG-lie-in greet every fan attending a Thrashers home game. That wouldn't take long.

I think he'd prefer to take them all out to dinner individually. Possibly on the same night.

As a public relations move, they could have Bye-FOOG-lie-in greet every fan attending a Thrashers home game. That wouldn't take long.

Well, living in metro Atlanta, I can tell you one thing for sure... when there's a Wings game downtown - Phillips Arena is sold out and BOTH Thrashers fans even show up! laugh.gif

Honestly though, when the Wings play here, it looks and sounds like a home game. I love it.

Edited by Selliria

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

Well, living in metro Atlanta, I can tell you one thing for sure... when there's a Wings game downtown - Phillips Arena is sold out and BOTH Thrashers fans even show up! laugh.gif

Honestly though, when the Wings play here, it looks and sounds like a home game. I love it.

and yet, they (wings) manage to lose :ph34r: