• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2/26 GDT: Red Wings 3 at Sabres 2 (SO)

Rate this topic

Well, what do you expect after being off for three months? I'm sure he'll be working on faceoff techniques for a few days. As to the others, well, you must remember the first rule of musicians - PRACTICE!!!

Huddie must have thought "monkey see, monkey do" was a good theory for the shootout. And is it me, or did it look like Joey Mac came out and challenged the shooters a bit? Whatever, it worked.

Well yeah... if you're going to copy someone in the shootout the smart choice is to choose the guy who goalies are terrified of.

As much as I love Ken and Mickey and Hot Dog Murphy calling the games I was happy to get a game on Center Ice with Rick Jeanerette and Harry Neale. The Buffalo broadcast spent quite a bit of time pointing out how the Wings are a first class organization and what they do to keep it that way. Neale pointed out the biggest difference that sets Detroit apart is that you've had a lot of guys around the dressing room to show younger players and players traded in or free agent signings HOW to play Red Wings hockey and how to be a Red Wing. He specifically mentioned Stevie, Igor, Shanahan, Draper, Lidstrom and Konstantinov as guys who would pull you aside if you strayed a bit. When they talk you listen was his point. A great line of leadership succession other teams don't see.

I like a lot of different play by play teams out there in the NHL but for me it has very little to do with how much they talk about the Red Wings.

I'm just not big on liking other sportscasters just because they say nice things about a team I love. It's great but what I pay attention to the most is the sound of their voices, how well they use them and how entertaining it is to the ears.

Plus, another huge part of the job is how well they can keep the flow going as they try to explain a play or two. You listen to Mickey Redmond along with some other analysts and you can tell just by either natural talent or experience that he can effectively verbalize his knowledge of the game. It seems like mostly everybody who tries it out has a quality perspective on the game within their minds but a lot of them struggle to communicate it well over live TV.

Another thing I like to look out for every now and again is how good they are at being honest, decent, genuine homers for their home team. Again, not that he's the greatest example but Mickey is definitely not afraid to point out when the Wings did not deserve a break that went their way or to have a flat out fangasm over plays by Datsyuk or Lidstrom or whoever. He does maintain a level of objectivity and that's what makes him very genuine and that's a reason why we like him on here. As a recent and ugly example, the sportscasters that have to cover a game with Matt Cookie in it have a very tough job to do and yet it's those games I think that are a good test for, "How much crazy homerism can I let out?" versus "Something just isn't right and I should speak up about it."

Hudler needs to stay put on this team, and on the line he's on. Monday can't come soon enough so all this shipping off Hudler business can just be over with. The guy has a ton of potential and i think he can become and maintain a 65-75 point pace every year. Why trade that for an unproven D-man out of ATL? Because were all obsessed with deadline day moves?

Guest mjtm77

As much as I love Ken and Mickey and Hot Dog Murphy calling the games I was happy to get a game on Center Ice with Rick Jeanerette and Harry Neale. The Buffalo broadcast spent quite a bit of time pointing out how the Wings are a first class organization and what they do to keep it that way. Neale pointed out the biggest difference that sets Detroit apart is that you've had a lot of guys around the dressing room to show younger players and players traded in or free agent signings HOW to play Red Wings hockey and how to be a Red Wing. He specifically mentioned Stevie, Igor, Shanahan, Draper, Lidstrom and Konstantinov as guys who would pull you aside if you strayed a bit. When they talk you listen was his point. A great line of leadership succession other teams don't see.

I could not stand the Buff Brodcast I almost shot myself.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I guess Rick Jenneret is the kind of guy you either love listening to or want to poke your eyes out. I've always liked watching games he's doing. He makes the most boring game seem exciting.

I'm glad Modano is back but I think a lot of people are forgetting he really didn't do amazing when he was healthy at the begining of the season. Also Kindl >>>> Ericson/Salei. I wouldn't mind seeing either one of them traded for a better stay at home dman. Kindl is everything we were hoping to see Big E play as this season.

I'm glad Modano is back but I think a lot of people are forgetting he really didn't do amazing when he was healthy at the begining of the season. Also Kindl >>>> Ericson/Salei. I wouldn't mind seeing either one of them traded for a better stay at home dman. Kindl is everything we were hoping to see Big E play as this season.

Kindle played well last night after being out. Prior to that, he unrelentingly stank.

Too bad for Drew Miller and the Miller family, eh?

Yeah it was too bad, really. I'm surprised Detroit did that. And millers mom and sister? Are hot

I thought modano looked pretty damn good surprisingly, other than faceoffs

I assure you nobody forgot, we are just hoping for rejuvenation after the injury and to shake things up from the 2 game losing streak

Hudler needs to stay put on this team, and on the line he's on. Monday can't come soon enough so all this shipping off Hudler business can just be over with. The guy has a ton of potential and I think he can become and maintain a 65-75 point pace every year. Why trade that for an unproven D-man out of ATL? Because were all obsessed with deadline day moves?

I agree. This line of Cleary, Huddie and Pasha needs to stay together. They have developed some wicked good chemistry. You noticed they were broken up last night for a while, and Franzen was put there instead of Cleary. But that didn't last long, and they were back together at the end. If it ain't broke, you don't monkey with it. I know everyone says that whomever plays on the line with Pasha feels like they won the lottery. Well, I'd say this line is a winner for sure, and you don't mess it up if you want to keep a good thing going.

Kindle played well last night after being out. Prior to that, he unrelentingly stank.

Agreed. Kindl looked good out there, but Salei and Ericsson are playing about 5 more minutes a game than him (last night E played 8 more mins), often against tougher lineups. So it's not exactly apples to apples like you can swap him for either of those two. Kindl is probably more useful on the PP than either of them, but certainly not on the PK.

It's a typical LGW grass is always greener. Ericsson and Salei aren't setting the world on fire out there as bottom pairing guys, so the rookie must be way better than they are. He's not. But he does have potential.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Hudler always gets the pick over Z in the shootout. Hudler is much better at deking than Z. Z is a great player but Huds has much better moves.

Okay ... why not Cleary or Bert ahead of Hudler?

Coach's call/gut instinct, I guess. This time it turned out to be right.

Okay ... why not Cleary or Bert ahead of Hudler?

Coach's call/gut instinct, I guess. This time it turned out to be right.

Not really (I mean sorta, but not really). Hudler's skill set lends to better shootout results. Kinda like Jason Williams. Obviously sucks, but was good at shootouts.

Edited by Broken 16

Exactly. Guys like Cleary, Z and Bert actually score better in coverage it seems. Especially Z. That's what makes him so great in the playoffs imo.

Cleary is a beast on the puck in the o-zone. I swear he looks better and better controlling down low every game.

esteef